ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia basketball vs. Duquesne

Culver and Oscar starting together
I don't know if they are ready for that.

Probably the reason they brought in the transfer from Arkansas to play the 4.

Truthfully think by the end of the year Oscar will be your best big on both sides of the floor.

Culver had issues with the pick and roll and guarding on the perimeter.
Plus his rim protection was awful.

Culver
Haley
Matthews
McCabe
Harler

For now

I take back every one of my predictions for this team if Harlers face is on the screen and a starter for any game that counts, or averages more than 4 minutes per game

we're up by 11.......must mean we're going to win the NCAA Tournament this year! Right WVpaper?

There is a ton to like so far and some things to work on. Communication on defense. Everytime we trapped if we didnt get a turnover they got a 15 foot open dunk with our guys all looking at each other. I know Huggs said we can make enough shots we dont need to be press Virginia and that's great but we dont make enough or defend well enough on the perimeter to play straight man all year either. They need to get a rotation set and fix the communication on d cause they're gonna need to trap and do some things. Thank goodness for the exhibition. But Sherman can shoot McNeil will kill a zone and Oscar is a grown ass man.

Oh and those of you saying McBride is better than McCabe need to stop mixing your crack rocks with your pop rocks and your coc with your coke, just stop

Apparently they are not calling walks. Kid just did a spin move while picking up and cupping the ball and then taking two more steps.

Unless they forgot what a walk is!

I will text coach Huggins and let him know. Thanks for the head’s up.

Huggins has already mentioned that he has to find a way to get them on the floor together.
When you have stretch 4's and 5's it is hard to have two bigs who can't play on the perimeter.
From what I have read and saw Oscar has the ability. For a big he has quick feet.

This isn't a video game. Can't just put any 5 on the floor.

You tell em KC. That's word for word what you said on 247...

Is that where he is posting.
He has a decent knowledge of basketball if he is.
Bump that thread from pride last year. I think KC was a little pessimistic about the season
But...

I don't use 247. This is a much better board besides GregJacobs and the Marshall fans you deal with.

I have said all I had to say on the subject. Talking on a message board won't change anything about this upcoming basketball season.
They are going to have to prove themselves.
Huggins is doing a little bit of manipulating the team. He is trying to create that winning attitude.
Important in basketball. They should have won that tournament.
None of those schools were a true match for WVU

I take back every one of my predictions for this team if Harlers face is on the screen and a starter for any game that counts, or averages more than 4 minutes per game
His form still looks good, but the shots don't go down. I'll be very surprised if Sherman and McNeil don't take away most of his minutes this year. They should redshirt Harler and play Bridges, he looks like he is going to be a player.

Take away:

Culver/Oscar 24 pts and 22 rebs.

McCabe/McBride 7 assists and 1 turnover.

That’s a good start.

It was an exhibition game, Huggs wasn't giving anything away you can bet on that.

Point is against any team with a pulse of a big 12 team every shot he takes no matter how open he looks his shot ends up in the 5th row. Hes a very good shooter, hes out of his league against them opponents, he looks like a walk on. U see guys pick up full court, the guy dribbles the d maybe jogs sideways and then slides in defensive position, Harler literally turns his back lowers his head and sprints to try and keep up and then reaches in and fouls and whines to the refs. Hes ok against mid majors and down he just doesnt fit after that period. A.zone breaker maybe except I still doubt he could get a shot off without it being blocked. He would have been a perfect west liberty player

Harler isn't terrible.
He is older and a lot more physically mature than other players.

Ultimately you don't want him having to play 25 minutes a night.
Closer to 10.

He averaged 20 last year. He buys into the program and has a solid basketball IQ.

We will find out.

Truthfully think these first 6-7 games will show a lot.
There are some players there but how fast do they become a team.

With that even games against teams like Northern Iowa aren't for sure.
WVU should win that tournament but there are some well coached teams playing.

Northern Colorado is a sneaky good team. They are predicted to compete in their conference and I see why.

If they knocked down their shots they could have made the game close against Texas tonight.
They have a very high basketball IQ and started driving when the close outs came.

Plus they are good on the defensive end.
Especially their guards.

Interested in watching WVU play them.

Why? Because Texas beat N Col by 25 points, but you think N Col will give WVU and good game? You douche.

Did you notice Duq beat Princeton by almost 30 and PSU beat somebody by almost 40? WVU easily handled both PSU and Duq.

Wake up!

PS - anybody that actually thought the “new” basketball rules would apply to Duke got their answer last night .

They will NOT apply to Duke.

Why? Because Texas beat N Col by 25 points, but you think N Col will give WVU and good game? You douche.

Did you notice Duq beat Princeton by almost 30 and PSU beat somebody by almost 40? WVU easily handled both PSU and Duq.

Wake up!

Best thing I have heard to describe WVU is very raw.
Talented team but not complete.

You have too many players who haven't played big time basketball yet trying to fit in with what you have returning and for the most part they are young as well except with Haley and Harler.

There is a good chance you lose 3-5 games in November and December.
Possibly one to schools like Northern Colorado

Well, its November and Texass basketball is back!

Until December, when Texass will be Texass again. Failing to live up to expectations as usual. Then, their "pretend" fans will show up here and "analyze" our team, as if being a Texass fan somehow makes them an expert on anything.

Oh wait, they're here now... already?

Who said anything about Texas?

This is about West Virginia.

No one is saying they will not eventually be a quality team but that team A) Has to learn how to win B) Figure out a rotation and C) Gain experience.

But that road could be bumpy early and you could lose some games you wouldn't later in the year.

Right now Texas is on another level in basketball.
Come March and April it could be different but as of right now they know who they are and have the experience in the back court.

Who said anything about Texas?

This is about West Virginia.

No one is saying they will not eventually be a quality team but that team A) Has to learn how to win B) Figure out a rotation and C) Gain experience.

But that road could be bumpy early and you could lose some games you wouldn't later in the year.

Right now Texas is on another level in basketball.
Come March and April it could be different but as of right now they know who they are and have the experience in the back court.
LOL at Texas is on another level. I hope all Texas fans are not as delusional as you are. Most "experts have us ranked about the same. WVU is underrated and Texas as usual is over rated. I think we end up as a better team and Texas under achieves again.

LOL at Texas is on another level. I hope all Texas fans are not as delusional as you are. Most "experts have us ranked about the same. WVU is underrated and Texas as usual is over rated. I think we end up as a better team and Texas under achieves again.

Most experts had WVU 8th, 9th and even 10th.
The Big 12 coaches are the only ones who had WVU near Texas out of respect to Bob Huggins.

WVU could be a good team but with the same hope for the best Texas could be an elite team.
With a little better Defense they would have only had 3 losses last year.
They lost 13 games by 2 possessions.
They brought in Luke Yaklich to get those couple of extra stops a game.

This was a defense that was Top 25 according to KenPom.
The two years Yaklich was at Michigan he had them in the Top 10.

Most experts had WVU 8th, 9th and even 10th.
The Big 12 coaches are the only ones who had WVU near Texas out of respect to Bob Huggins.

WVU could be a good team but with the same hope for the best Texas could be an elite team.
With a little better Defense they would have only had 3 losses last year.
They lost 13 games by 2 possessions.
They brought in Luke Yaklich to get those couple of extra stops a game.

This was a defense that was Top 25 according to KenPom.
The two years Yaklich was at Michigan he had them in the Top 10.
You must be right. It is not like it was Texas's fault they lost those games or have underachieved season after season. "Elite" Man you are comical.

You must be right. It is not like it was Texas's fault they lost those games or have underachieved season after season. "Elite" Man you are comical.

Who said it wasn't.
I don't want to get into an argument about hypotheticals.

But Texas saw what was needed and gave Shaka Smart another Will Wade.
Even without Yaklich and Andrew Jones last year that team was trending the right direction.
Was a smart move to put them in the NIT last year. Shaka did the same thing in 2010 at VCU with the CBI Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT