ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2: Pens vs. Craps

NHLN Radio figures the Wilson decision will come in the 700-730 timeframe

I don’t recall these decisions taking this long. It’s usually announced before 5. The delay likely means one of two things. Either he gets no suspension and the NHL says after much consideration we’ve deemed this an unfortunate accident. Or, it’s for more than one game and the NHLPA is arguing. Guess we will know soon enough.

I don’t recall these decisions taking this long. It’s usually announced before 5. The delay likely means one of two things. Either he gets no suspension and the NHL says after much consideration we’ve deemed this an unfortunate accident. Or, it’s for more than one game and the NHLPA is arguing. Guess we will know soon enough.
If the refs would have called a penalty like they should have it would be a no brainer of a suspension.

I don’t recall these decisions taking this long. It’s usually announced before 5.

Evidently, not lately........ I'm taking this to mean the Kadri and Doughty suspensions were first announced in the early evening.

Well it’s official...three game suspension for Wilson!

I am shocked...will take it but still not long enough imo. Take him out till (potential) game 7 or longer....so in other words this is a 6 to 9 in the reg season...it slays me how the playoffs are viewed different. Not to mention his last one was 4...why not double it to 8? Maybe eventually he gets the message.

Reactions: Euell
Ballsy call by the DOPS; if NHLN Radio (and the Web) was any indicator, there was far greater effort expended to try and explain/justify/defend the hit. Of course, NHLN Radio is filled with "old time hockey guys"...... and the Web with cement heads who hate the Penguins more than anything else in their miserable existence.

Can't wait to hear Trotz moan tomorrow; what he doesn't realize is this is THE best thing that could happen. Now attention can redirect from his goon to his team, from whom his goon had stolen most of the good PR karma.

I am shocked...will take it but still not long enough imo. Take him out till (potential) game 7 or longer....so in other words this is a 6 to 9 in the reg season...it slays me how the playoffs are viewed different. Not to mention his last one was 4...why not double it to 8? Maybe eventually he gets the message.

He shouldn’t be able to play again this series. But three games is three more than I thought he’d get. Wonder if the smug prick is smiling now?

And a five minute major, with a chance at a goal or 2...
I have no doubt Paros will hand out popcorn, fire up the big screen, pull out the pointer and absolve poor Tom of everything at this point...
If the league really wants to get serious about curtailing head shots that result in broken jaws and concussions then maybe the player should be suspeneded the length of the injured players absense.

The officiating just gets worse and worse. I love it when the commentators say he drew a penalty. It just means the player took a dive and the refs fell for it. Then theres the old make up call if you need to have a make up call then you should'nt have called the 1st penalty to begin with.
And yes...why didn't these zebra's have the balls to make a call? We all sit there and KNOW about the idiot makeup call in the NHL...I have been known to bitch about the B12 ref screw jobs and their incompetence or perhaps directed purpose over the last few years...the NHL makes them look highly trained and objective...and that says somethin!!!

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
And as we talk suplementary discipline ....anyone see the clean hit by Kunitz on Backes and then he gets all hot head and plows down the ice to drill Girardi from behind? Wtf???
And right after a Marchand hammer job with the slash to wrist! You B's aint tough worth a shit...you're just DIRTY!

Ballsy call by the DOPS; if NHLN Radio (and the Web) was any indicator, there was far greater effort expended to try and explain/justify/defend the hit. Of course, NHLN Radio is filled with "old time hockey guys"...... and the Web with cement heads who hate the Penguins more than anything else in their miserable existence.

Can't wait to hear Trotz moan tomorrow; what he doesn't realize is this is THE best thing that could happen. Now attention can redirect from his goon to his team, from whom his goon had stolen most of the good PR karma.

I don't think that was ballsy at all. I thought it deserved 4 to make sure he was out of this series completely. Dude is a chronic issue and the NHL continues to go soft on him.

And as we talk suplementary discipline ....anyone see the clean hit by Kunitz on Backes and then he gets all hot head and plows down the ice to drill Girardi from behind? Wtf???
And right after a Marchand hammer job with the slash to wrist! You B's aint tough worth a shit...you're just DIRTY!
Marchand is a Jackwagon and always has been. He is the primary reason I can't root for them, although I am not a fan of Charo either. I hope the Bolts take the series in 5.

Reactions: torontoeers
And yes...why didn't these zebra's have the balls to make a call? We all sit there and KNOW about the idiot makeup call in the NHL...I have been known to bitch about the B12 ref screw jobs and their incompetence or perhaps directed purpose over the last few years...the NHL makes them look highly trained and objective...and that says somethin!!!
Its baffleing how The refs missed the wilson hit but seem to have their arms up in the air everytime a player gives another player a love tap to a padded area of the body.

I don't think that was ballsy at all. I thought it deserved 4 to make sure he was out of this series completely. Dude is a chronic issue and the NHL continues to go soft on him.
The Pens should not have to deal with him whatsoever should it go 7...nor should anyone else for that matter...get this SOB and his ilk outta the league. We all love the hard play , the clean hits the jawing or occasional drop of the gloves between two guys who are legit pissed at each other...this type nonsense is beyond that...its plain to see this guy is habitual and he knows that he can get away with it. Although I do understand CM's point...I think he speaks to the fact of these cement heads we hear everyday...I heard at least half of the commentators (usually ex 'enforcers' or 4th liners for some reason...well just lookin for a job thats why really), saying it was clean and no suspension warranted?!? You kiddin me? I played the game for a good number of years...there were fists and sticks and all the rest, and I was guilty of a lot of it, but we respected each other even come playoff time. This day and age is nothing like it...so many out there just wanting to KILL guys. I honestly dont recall experiencing guys leave their feet or hitting from behind back in the day...thank goodness...

The Pens should not have to deal with him whatsoever should it go 7...nor should anyone else for that matter...get this SOB and his ilk outta the league. We all love the hard play , the clean hits the jawing or occasional drop of the gloves between two guys who are legit pissed at each other...this type nonsense is beyond that...its plain to see this guy is habitual and he knows that he can get away with it. Although I do understand CM's point...I think he speaks to the fact of these cement heads we hear everyday...I heard at least half of the commentators (usually ex 'enforcers' or 4th liners for some reason...well just lookin for a job thats why really), saying it was clean and no suspension warranted?!? You kiddin me? I played the game for a good number of years...there were fists and sticks and all the rest, and I was guilty of a lot of it, but we respected each other even come playoff time. This day and age is nothing like it...so many out there just wanting to KILL guys. I honestly dont recall experiencing guys leave their feet or hitting from behind back in the day...thank goodness...
The NHL needs to take a hard look at how these games are being officiated. When a slash is called the intent of how much injury it could have caused should be factored in. Most of the slash's have been ticky tack. If you're gonna call hooking did it impede progress? The players these days seem to fall down really easy. One minute touch of a stick to a players skate blade and down they go. It looks like they are auditioning for the olympic dive team. Penaltys should be called to prevent injuries and to prevent impediment of progress up the ice. That's not happening to many BS calls. I have seen more 5-3 situations in the playoffs then I have seen in the regular season. Its a total crock. This is the NHL not The NBA dammit.

If you didn't see/hear it, here is the official release/explanation from the DOPS for the Wilson suspension......

https://www.nhl.com/news/capitals-tom-wilson-gets-three-game-suspension/c-298407964?tid=297172052

If you take time to listen to the entire release, you get a better idea as to why it took them so long to go public yesterday. I've heard these kinds of releases on plenty of occasions in the past, and don't think I've ever heard one this detailed.

It's pretty clear to me the DOPS expected major pushback from the cement heads.....why I myself called the decision "ballsy" in the first place.....hence the excrutiating detail.

However, it's equally clear they wanted to send a message to Wilson......though under ordinary circumstances (meaning, the regular season).....this hit may well have drawn a longer suspension.

So, on balance, this strikes me as an eventual compromise between the throw-him-out-of-the-game and it-was-a-good-hard-check factions; both of which appear to be pretty large.

Well...do the boys come out blazing tonight and over a full 60, get some of that swagger back? We've seen it in the past so hopefully they can do it and put a little seed of doubt back in the Craps heads...

Anyone hear anything on Hags? Gonna need him pretty badly with ZAR now shelved...

I also look for that weasel dog Beagle to pick up some of the slack for his lughead pal....

Last edited:
Well...do the boys come out blazing tonight and over a full 60, get some of that swagger back? We've seen it in the past so hopefully they can do it and put a little seed of doubt back in the Craps heads...

Anyone hear anything on Hags? Gonna need him pretty badly with ZAR now shelved...

I also look for that weasel dog Beagle to pick up some of the slack for his lughead pal....

Well, DK is saying this mornng that Hagelin should be back tonight; if that's the case.....and in the future.....I'll quit offering personal opinions on the prognosis of injured players (meaning, when I said a week or so ago I thought Hags was done for the season).

As for how they come out tonight, I thought they'd really push coming out of the locker room on Tuesday. But while they were better than in the first 2 games, I thought about the best they did was level the sheet. Plus, we already know starts....generally speaking.....are not among this team's strongest suits to begin with.

As for who takes Wilson's place on the hit squad, I myself figure that's more Orpik's job.....though you're correct that Beagle is a main candidate. Not sure which player Trotz considers more expendible from an overall roster standpoint.

Still, the key (IMO) is to find a way to get to Holtby while trying to at least minimize all those friggin' defensive breakdowns. That may be the one systemic problem this particular group can only address by outscoring the opposition.

It'd also help if Murray quit kicking shots into his own goal..... :weary:

pens with a good start but nothing to show for it. craps will eventually push back.

didn't bother reading through but has it been discussed here that it looks like kessel can't shoot? I heard he was playing hurt but its obviously a right hand/wrist injury

didn't bother reading through but has it been discussed here that it looks like kessel can't shoot? I heard he was playing hurt but its obviously a right hand/wrist injury
He is defn laboring. I don’t remember anything in the Philly series with him taking a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT