ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2: Pens vs. Craps

I heard earlier today on NHLN Radio that NHL goaltenders, statsitically speaking, get beaten on the glove side far more than in any other spot......25% of the time. Before tonight's game, Murray was said to be getting beaten in that spot......and I honestly don't recall the exact number.....something approaching 40% of the time.

Now, those of us who follow the Pens know the glove side has been Murray's soft spot all year, so it's nothing new to us. However, I'm convinced this problem has been exacerbated by the Pens continuously lousy defense; in particular, all those odd man rushes.

Those are the situations where the shooter has a second or so to actually think about where he wants to shoot it and then pull the trigger.....and where we know the spot they're going to target.

Craps dominated in that 3rd period......period, end of story. Series is far from over, but the Pens better think about bringing something more......more skating, more shooting, more defense, and more goaltending.....on Thursday night.

Meanwhile, the key to getting Wilson out of the game is so easy a blind man can see it; play with the lead. But the Pens weren't getting leads in the first two games.....and when they got 'em tonight, couldn't hold 'em.

I'll be interested to see if Murray talks to the press in the postgame; typically, he faces the music.....but I'm not so sure he'll do so after tonight's game.

Caps had 10 official shots in the 3rd. 3 were logged from center ice. Basically they had 7 shots and two go in including a 55 footer with no screen.

Too many shots going though him. Two go in and two trickled wide. He is fighting everything on his glove side. Backstrom hit the crossbar and you could see Murray leaning to protect the glove side. If he leaks another in on Thursday how quick are you with the hook? Let's be honest, Murray has been average all year. I thought after game 1 he was back ......nope.
We have no other choice imo...as nice a backup as Casey is....we dont wanna see him....if we do, it's over imo....maybe MM needed that pressure of an experienced goalie waiting to take his spot...don't know. We all know the glove is weak and he battles with it....not much else I can say....other than I have to have faith....

I heard earlier today on NHLN Radio that NHL goaltenders, statsitically speaking, get beaten on the glove side far more than in any other spot......25% of the time. Before tonight's game, Murray was said to be getting beaten in that spot......and I honestly don't recall the exact number.....something approaching 40% of the time.

Now, those of us who follow the Pens know the glove side has been Murray's soft spot all year, so it's nothing new to us. However, I'm convinced this problem has been exacerbated by the Pens continuously lousy defense; in particular, all those odd man rushes.

Those are the situations where the shooter has a second or so to actually think about where he wants to shoot it and then pull the trigger.

I think many of us thought that the Pens were better defensively with MM in goal than with MAF in there last year. MAF being more athletic could make the circus saves. Murray isn't as quick. He isn't as athletic. You are right, shooters are picking him apart because the pens aren't playing great defense.

Those are the situations where the shooter has a second or so to actually think about where he wants to shoot it and then pull the trigger.....and where we know the spot they're going to target.
This is happening because they are teaching these shooters no matter how good they are to shoot for the head! This is legit happening from Bantam/Junior play on up nowadays... You handcuff a goalie there, and make him nervous, it is the one open spot...unfortunately our guy is particularly weak there...ugh

Reactions: COOL MAN
I think many of us thought that the Pens were better defensively with MM in goal than with MAF in there last year. MAF being more athletic could make the circus saves. Murray isn't as quick. He isn't as athletic. You are right, shooters are picking him apart because the pens aren't playing great defense.
He is a superior positionally sound goalie with a weak glove...EXPOSED.

Oh I hear ya...he usually bounces back after poor performance...if he doesn't? Well...we're cooked.....and thus...we are on pins/needles...lets go 30....make it happen.

It's always easiest to kick a man while he's down, so I won't do it.....let's just stick by the kid (especially since we don't have much in the way of alternatives) [thumb2][thumb2]:eek:kay::eek:kay::clap::clap:

Reactions: torontoeers
This is happening because they are teaching these shooters no matter how good they are to shoot for the head! This is legit happening from Bantam/Junior play on up nowadays... You handcuff a goalie there, and make him nervous, it is the one open spot...unfortunately our guy is particularly weak there...ugh
I don't know about this new brand of D man. When the pens won the cup in 2016 Letang was great at driving Offense from the Back end. Quite a few teams the preds for one copied the model. To many of these guys are weak and can't lay the lumber on some of the bigger forwards. The Pens might have gotten away with it but when you have Crosby and Malkin it can hide some of the physical defiences of this type of defensman. The Preds D core is weak not physical enough. They need to move one of these guys out and get someone bigger. Preds don't have a malkin or Crosby to make up for it up front. I would'nt be surprised if the next evolution is to find guys that are medium to fast but can also lay someone out.

Have to give Fleury Credit he looks rejuvenated. He has been by far the best goalie in this years playoffs. I don't remember seeing him give up any cheap goals to this point.

This guy wasn't a big D Man he was fast and could lay someone out this is from his days with the pens.

I don't know about this new brand of D man. When the pens won the cup in 2016 Letang was great at driving Offense from the Back end. Quite a few teams the preds for one copied the model. To many of these guys are weak and can't lay the lumber on some of the bigger forwards. The Pens might have gotten away with it but when you have Crosby and Malkin it can hide some of the physical defiences of this type of defensman. The Preds D core is weak not physical enough. They need to move one of these guys out and get someone bigger. Preds don't have a malkin or Crosby to make up for it up front. I would'nt be surprised if the next evolution is to find guys that are medium to fast but can also lay someone out.
Oh it is already here imo....their names are Barrie and Krug...both under 6 ft. And both play the game hard in own end...with some O flair...

This guy wasn't a big D Man he was fast and could lay someone out this is from his days with the pens.
Fine with me seeing that clown laid out SOLID! A- He's a Cryer. B- he played for the asshat Generals, mortal enemies of my chosen local team Petes in Junior. C- we were at a somewhat local bar one night in Whitby Ont, guess who showed up as the all star? Yep...Lindros...a girl at the bar that night charged him with assault. He spit beer all over her...I saw it yet he got off on the charge...It was all the bar could do to surround and defend him from his detractors...yep once a Gen always a f'n Gen...look up greatest rivalry in junior (OHL) hockey...you'll get a good kick outta some of the names that played for both teams over the years.. I've had more beer thrown at me in that dirtbag arena than I can count....anyway...I am on a tangent

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Fine with me seeing that clown laid out SOLID! A- He's a Cryer. B- he played for the asshat Generals, mortal enemies of my chosen local team Petes in Junior. C- we were at a somewhat local bar one night in Whitby Ont, guess who showed up as the all star? Yep...Lindros...a girl at the bar that night charged him with assault. He spit beer all over her...I saw it yet he got off on the charge...It was all the bar could do to surround and defend him from his detractors...yep once a Gen always a f'n Gen...look up greatest rivalry in junior (OHL) hockey...you'll get a good kick outta some of the names that played for both teams over the years.. I've had more beer thrown at me in that dirtbag arena than I can count....anyway...I am on a tangent
Funny thing is when the post season ends and I don't think its gonna end the way we both want. we will be looking for the same things. I think its clear the Pens need D man. This so called highly touted Preds D core is to small. I think the preds will move either Josi, Ellis, or Subban. I can see them moving one of these guys to get more size back there or to get more bulk up front. Not sure which one I would part with but I can give reasons for each one.

Funny thing is when the post season ends and I don't think its gonna end the way we both want. we will be looking for the same things. I think its clear the Pens need D man. This so called highly touted Preds D core is to small. I think the preds will move either Josi, Ellis, or Subban. I can see them moving one of these guys to get more size back there or to get more bulk up front. Not sure which one I would part with but I can give reasons for each one.
Ellis might be the one that is more easily tradeable and gets most bang for buck imo...get some 100% reliable secondary scoring IMO.

Ellis might be the one that is more easily tradeable and gets most bang for buck imo...get some 100% reliable secondary scoring IMO.
That's the guy I was thinking of. He is a good player but the problem is he is small. Josi and Subban are just medium sized only Elkholm has size. Preds need another big guy so they can have a top 4 with at least someone on each line that can bang. That Turris has been a waste. He might have been better off had the pens got him. He is just to small. gets knocked off the puck. Another problem with the preds is they don't have enough beef up front. Johansson is a big guy Forsberg medium and ardvisson is a midget. The only guy on the second line with any size is smith. Having 3 of your top 6 fowards not having any beef isn't gonna cut it come playoff time. Turris might have been ok with the pens but he doesn't have enough beef with a smaller forward group like the preds have.

And as my personal messages explode with the 'you are done' predictions...I've heard these before...in fact for two plus years...oh the satisfaction for a smack to the knuckles of these keyboard warriors again...let it happen please.

Well its all over the radio here about a second head hit delivered in as many games....but haven't heard anything about a league hearing?

Still heated....for a multitude of reasons...

I heard today that the Caps presented Wilson with ZARs glove (the one he tossed into the caps bench) after the game

I fully expect no discipline from the NHL. I mean he did graze the shoulder so that will be the excuse. But how in this league can a player be held accountable for his stick at all times but the league will find any reason at all not to penalize a player who head hunts repeatedly? Oh and he left his feet. And he charged.

Reactions: WVRON
I heard today that the Caps presented Wilson with ZARs glove (the one he tossed into the caps bench) after the game

I fully expect no discipline from the NHL. I mean he did graze the shoulder so that will be the excuse. But how in this league can a player be held accountable for his stick at all times but the league will find any reason at all not to penalize a player who head hunts repeatedly? Oh and he left his feet. And he charged.
Oh...well that's a nice touch eh? F'n sicko's...
Yep...I feel you and I have been over this at least a half dozen times...on the exact same page. Players around the league getting maimed by REPEAT OFFENDERS, and the dinosaurs in 'player safety and dicipline' ? No action or a measly game or two off. What the hell difference does that make? These asshats like Wilson KNOW this...and nothing will ever change.

Well its all over the radio here about a second head hit delivered in as many games....but haven't heard anything about a league hearing?

Still heated....for a multitude of reasons...

I read a quote somewhere after the game from the head of the DOPS. Apparently he was in attendance at PPG last night and made a comment something to the affect that he was looking at all the different camera angles and different angles painted a different view of what happened.

It’s apparent from his comments that they are looking for the one view that supports the case that it was a clean hit and unavoidable. And while this joke of a league continues to enable goonery ZAR lies in bed with a broken jaw. It’s disgraceful and makes me ashamed for supporting such a league.

As for the game, outside of our top line we’re getting nothing offensively. It’s pretty obvious Kessel is hurt. He barely skates. And Brassard shows flashes but can’t finish. Rusty is another one that is MIA. And Geno continues to hit posts. All the while Murray let’s 55 foot softies in and can’t maintain puck control. Maybe this is the result of playing into June two straight seasons. Maybe the guys just aren’t hungry anymore. What ever the case it’s easy to see the Caps want it more and can now smell blood(both figuratively and literally). Thursday is a must win. If not the Pens will be on the golf course by Sunday. It’s going to be a bitter pill to swallow to watch the Pens fabulous run ended by such a classless group. Let’s hope we wake up before it’s too late.

The officiating in this years playoffs has been flatout awful for the most part. Its been bad in most of the series. They call a penalty when someone barley touches a player with a their stick but miss obvious blows to someones head. What's a penalty in the 1st isn't in the 3rd and vice versa. They are ruining the games with their incompetance.

Reactions: Euell
Obviously we kicked this around halfway to Sunday in last night's postgame......but the Pens simply can't gripe away the fact the Craps are clearly getting the better goaltending (not to mention getting way more out of the stars in their lineup).

Assuming this continues, that's the recipe for a series win (and possibly in less games than we might have expected) regardless of Wilson's head-hunting.

The officiating in this years playoffs has been flatout awful for the most part. Its been bad in most of the series. They call a penalty when someone barley touches a player with a their stick but miss obvious blows to someones head. What's a penalty in the 1st isn't in the 3rd and vice versa. They are ruining the games with their incompetance.

The biggest missed call last night was the tripping by Wilson on Maata on the GW break away. Yea, Maata made a horrible play giving the puck away but if he’s not tripped he’s back on the blue line slowing that play down. A gutless no call by the official there.

Not sure if we have any recalls left but I’d bring up Sestito and dress him Thursday. Hell he can’t play any worse than most of our guys are. His mere presence will send a message that another dirty hit won’t be tolerated.

Obviously we kicked this around halfway to Sunday in last night's postgame......but the Pens simply can't gripe away the fact the Craps are clearly getting the better goaltending (not to mention getting way more out of the stars in their lineup).

Assuming this continues, that's the recipe for a series win (and possibly in less games than we might have expected) regardless of Wilson's head-hunting.
Nope they can't...not good enough across the board...
I still can't help but think that is 5 and a game at minimum...what does a 5 minute pp do for the good guys at that point? Likely nothing with the way they are dickin around out there...but I would have at least liked the chance...
In watching the hit again, who knows what the hell the dumbass zebras were discussing...and how bout good ole Brooks chirping ZAR on his way off the ice? Ya think that'd be a guy who would know better with past hits to his own melon...but nope!

No doubt Holtby has out played Murray but the Pens had THREE shots on goal in the 3rd period last night! Easy to look good when there is no pressure. The only explanation I have is that the Pens are tired and have lost that hunger.

I read a quote somewhere after the game from the head of the DOPS. Apparently he was in attendance at PPG last night and made a comment something to the affect that he was looking at all the different camera angles and different angles painted a different view of what happened.

It’s apparent from his comments that they are looking for the one view that supports the case that it was a clean hit and unavoidable. And while this joke of a league continues to enable goonery ZAR lies in bed with a broken jaw. It’s disgraceful and makes me ashamed for supporting such a league.

As for the game, outside of our top line we’re getting nothing offensively. It’s pretty obvious Kessel is hurt. He barely skates. And Brassard shows flashes but can’t finish. Rusty is another one that is MIA. And Geno continues to hit posts. All the while Murray let’s 55 foot softies in and can’t maintain puck control. Maybe this is the result of playing into June two straight seasons. Maybe the guys just aren’t hungry anymore. What ever the case it’s easy to see the Caps want it more and can now smell blood(both figuratively and literally). Thursday is a must win. If not the Pens will be on the golf course by Sunday. It’s going to be a bitter pill to swallow to watch the Pens fabulous run ended by such a classless group. Let’s hope we wake up before it’s too late.
Well said....been wondering as well on MM rebound control and trying to figure out when that all started. The glove issues are bad enough but he simply has to corral the puck better.
Who knows, maybe all these Craps hijinx somehow galvanizes the guys in a positive way, not holding my breath but still tryin to 3elieve! As you say, no way we want to go out to these dirtballs in this manner...

No doubt Holtby has out played Murray but the Pens had THREE shots on goal in the 3rd period last night! Easy to look good when there is no pressure. The only explanation I have is that the Pens are tired and have lost that hunger.

Just heard on 93.7 The Fan that there IS going to be a hearing for Wilson. I’m shocked!

Bravo!!! Sit that piece of shit down for the rest of series!

Anyone else see anything more than a token one game suspension? I though multiple offenders got more? Guess we will see. I just heard Trotz’s post game comments. Said it was a “shoulder to shoulder hit” and both players had time to brace for the hit. For the love of all that is holy we CAN NOT lose to this trash!! Here’s hoping we win in the most heart breaking fashion possible!

The biggest missed call last night was the tripping by Wilson on Maata on the GW break away. Yea, Maata made a horrible play giving the puck away but if he’s not tripped he’s back on the blue line slowing that play down. A gutless no call by the official there.

Clearly interference or a flat out trip. The puck was already possessed by the Caps when Wilson interfered. There was a 2nd period play where a Pens defensemen pinched and was knocked down by a cross check that should have been a penalty. That led to an odd man rush too.

But how does an experienced defenseman like Maatta throw a weak backhand pass into that area? Geno does that nonsense all the but a defenseman???? With a minute to go in a tie game???? After a really good 2nd half of the season, Maatta has been hot garbage for most of these playoffs.

Apparently Kessell has sore ribs.....likely slipped on a wet spot at the local Krispy Kreme. So that being the case, why is he on the PP? That's on HCMS.

I say they give Wilson an old school corded phone in a dark room...put Sestito in there with him...he'll know what to do with the tools at his disposal...

Tom K from WBS is an old pro. He is retiring. He has played in the NHL playoffs. He can't be worse than anyone on the Pens 4th line. Let him butt-end Wilson in the jaw and break it. I'd send him $100 bucks.

The officiating just gets worse and worse. I love it when the commentators say he drew a penalty. It just means the player took a dive and the refs fell for it. Then theres the old make up call if you need to have a make up call then you should'nt have called the 1st penalty to begin with.

Reactions: WVRON
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT