ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2: Pens vs. Craps

We had one of the WORST thirds (likely in Pens history) after an absolutely brilliant second....and now on Monday we all get to see....does this current makeup have the mojo ro send it to 7? Damn I hope so
...otherwise quite a few of us have splainin to do at work on Tuesday...I don't wanna be that guy...NONE of us wants to be that guy...haven't had to do it for quite some time
.......it would be very painful...

Reactions: COOL MAN
I'll never get to sleep tonight. We have blown 2 3rd period leads in last 3 games. Tonight the caps scored their 6 th goal of the series in the first 2:06 of a period. Two late goals to lose. This series could be over for the good guys.

Reactions: WVRON and Euell
I'll never get to sleep tonight. We have blown 2 3rd period leads in last 3 games. Tonight the caps scored their 6 th goal of the series in the first 2:06 of a period. Two late goals to lose. This series could be over for the good guys.
We will unite in grief...and still galvanize....we see it, and then they kill us....not over but tough task. Lets get er done at home guys...we're with em!!!

Thinking back .....forgot Dumo got stoned right before the 4th goal. I think the difference in this series is simply the fact that the Pens haven't shot the puck well. Hloltby is playing strong but so many shots into his body or glove. So many shots missing the net. Passing up shots for a shot that never comes. I think I am resigning myself to the fact that Monday could be the end of the run.

If you are HCMS what do you do Monday? On one hand these guys are literally a little luck from moving on already. On the other hand, you have two stars playing poorly. Kessel was been poop all series. Letang has been poop most of the year. Malkin had zero energy tonight after looking great in game 5. So do we finally see sprong for Kessel? Does Humtwick see the ice? I'd be completely happy if they take 81 off the PP and move 58 to the bottom pairng to reduce his minutes.

If you are HCMS what do you do Monday? On one hand these guys are literally a little luck from moving on already. On the other hand, you have two stars playing poorly. Kessel was been poop all series. Letang has been poop most of the year. Malkin had zero energy tonight after looking great in game 5. So do we finally see sprong for Kessel? Does Humtwick see the ice? I'd be completely happy if they take 81 off the PP and move 58 to the bottom pairng to reduce his minutes.
I do nothing different. We are literally 2 boneheads away from having advanced. I’d chew the blue line a new asshole and make them watch over and over what they cost us.

Reactions: torontoeers

I do nothing different. We are literally 2 boneheads away from having advanced. I’d chew the blue line a new asshole and make them watch over and over what they cost us.

I'm with Doc: aside playing some minor hunch and dressing someone from the Black Aces on 4th line......which would imply the 4th line has in some way been part of the problem.....this is hardly the time to make wholesale changes. You dance with who you brung to the party; and if your partner has forgotten the steps.....and it seems like that IS the case for a few.....it's too late to start worrying about that now.

Speaking only for myself.....and not that anyone gives two shits how I feel.....I'm flat angrier this morning than I've been in a LONG time.

Since I’m a couple years into following Hockey consistently (sorry Irwin), how does the expansion draft work in terms of who we say is unprotected? Reason I ask, if Seattle happens, I’m letting Letang be the dude to be grabbed if they want him.

Reactions: Irwineer2
Since I’m a couple years into following Hockey consistently (sorry Irwin), how does the expansion draft work in terms of who we say is unprotected? Reason I ask, if Seattle happens, I’m letting Letang be the dude to be grabbed if they want him.

The crap storm that would create amongst chicks and band dorks would be insane.

Reactions: DocEER

Sully won’t sit Phil and Letang will continue to get big minutes and continue to shit the bed out there. Used to be a lead going into the 3rd was a guaranteed win. No lead is safe now as these guys don’t play disciplined hockey. We sure could use Cole and Daley about now. GMJR really screwed up not beefing up our blue line. He’d seen Tanger all season and yet he still was comfortable with what we had. Can’t for the life me understand that thinking. Oh well it’s been a great run. It’ll be a shame if it ends to the assholes from DC.

They both need to find their game or this series is over.

While I can't disagree, we have a total of 8 even strength goals from forwards not on Sid's line the entire playoffs. The only goal we have scored the entire Caps series without Sid on the ice was Oleskiak's goal when Brassard was on the ice. 1 goal in 5 games at even strength from the other 3 lines.

Reactions: Irwineer2
Sully won’t sit Phil and Letang will continue to get big minutes and continue to shit the bed out there. Used to be a lead going into the 3rd was a guaranteed win. No lead is safe now as these guys don’t play disciplined hockey. We sure could use Cole and Daley about now. GMJR really screwed up not beefing up our blue line. He’d seen Tanger all season and yet he still was comfortable with what we had. Can’t for the life me understand that thinking. Oh well it’s been a great run. It’ll be a shame if it ends to the assholes from DC.

The trading of Cole and Reaves will cost this team a 3rd cup,

If he's not on the Protected list.....which is left entirely to the individual team for its own reasons.....Letang absolutely CAN be selected by an expansion team.

But as always, the word IF is the biggest one in your statement. And don't forget that no team can lose more than a single player in expansion; and the Pens may have unprotected players more attractive (for any number of reasons) than someone like a getting-older Letang at his salary. OTOH, the team will have to reach a salary floor, prohibiting them from picking solely young/low priced guys (and which requires them to add at least some big salaries).

BTW, in the Vegas expansion, teams could either protect 7 forwards/3 defense/1 goal or 8 skaters/1 goal. One more key caveat; any player with a no-movement clause in their contract MUST be protected unless it's specifically waived (like Flower did).

If he's not on the Protected list.....which is left entirely to the individual team for its own reasons.....Letang absolutely CAN be selected by an expansion team.

But as always, the word IF is the biggest one in your statement. And don't forget that no team can lose more than a single player in expansion; and the Pens may have unprotected players more attractive (for any number of reasons) than someone like a getting-older Letang at his salary. OTOH, the team will have to reach a salary floor, prohibiting them from picking solely young/low priced guys (and which requires them to add at least some big salaries).

BTW, in the Vegas expansion, teams could either protect 7 forwards/3 defense/1 goal or 8 skaters/1 goal. One more key caveat; any player with a no-movement clause in their contract MUST be protected unless it's specifically waived (like Flower did).

Might be the end of the Phil Kessel era as well. Time to see what Sprong has and invest Phil’s salary for a blue liner. Gotta get back to disciplined hockey.

Might be the end of the Phil Kessel era as well. Time to see what Sprong has and invest Phil’s salary for a blue liner. Gotta get back to disciplined hockey.
Phil is clearly laboring. He played well last night. I wouldn’t pull the plug on him yet unless they think Jake G is ready to headline his own line.

Phil is clearly laboring. He played well last night. I wouldn’t pull the plug on him yet unless they think Jake G is ready to headline his own line.

To me, Kessel doesn't appear to be a particularly happy hockey player......looks very frustrated (as if his body just ISN'T cooperating with his mind). Maybe I'm being too charitable; as for the other target of everyone's frustration (Letang), I have no more clue what's going on with him than anyone else.

However, it's like his mind isn't cooperating with his body.

The trading of Cole and Reaves will cost this team a 3rd cup,

Seems to me we're seeing a majority of the defensive mistakes from the Letang/Dumoulin pairing (though I believe Rig had a big one last night), which has nothing to do with Cole. And the team seems to have really picked up its shot blocking; again, considered among Cole's greatest strengths.

As for Reaves, I think it's pretty clear the Wilson menace (along with those from Simmonds, Gudas, and Orpik) would have been significantly blunted with Reaves still on the team. But if the Pens lose this series, the lasting impression for me won't be the destruction of ZAR, but rather Letang (in Game 5) inexplicably evacuating his defensive half of the zone leaving Kuznetsov wide open for the game tying goal which opened the flood gates.

Seems to me we're seeing a majority of the defensive mistakes from the Letang/Dumoulin pairing (though I believe Rig had a big one last night), which has nothing to do with Cole. And the team seems to have really picked up its shot blocking; again, considered among Cole's greatest strengths.

As for Reaves, I think it's pretty clear the Wilson menace (along with those from Simmonds, Gudas, and Orpik) would have been significantly blunted with Reaves still on the team. But if the Pens lose this series, the lasting impression for me won't be the destruction of ZAR, but rather Letang (in Game 5) inexplicably evacuating his defensive half of the zone leaving Kuznetsov wide open for the game tying goal which opened the flood gates.

I know it would never happen but I’d rather see Hunwick play and scratch Letang. Minus his boneheaded mistakes we’ve probably already won this series. And can Maatta ever come through in the clutch? Ugh. Let’s just hope we get some puck luck and Letang’s mistakes are few tomorrow night. Get it to a game 7 and see what happens.

Yep Daley...that was another big loss imo. He got somewhere around 4 mil for 4 with Detroit I think? I shake my head at how he wasn't offered same from the Pens...maybe he was and elected no thanks, who knows...

I know it would never happen but I’d rather see Hunwick play and scratch Letang. Minus his boneheaded mistakes we’ve probably already won this series. And can Maatta ever come through in the clutch? Ugh. Let’s just hope we get some puck luck and Letang’s mistakes are few tomorrow night. Get it to a game 7 and see what happens.
I think we'll see a good effort and perhaps even a W tomorrow night, but 2 in a row is a tall order with the lack of scoring from several big guns. I don't even wanna think of the D lapses that'll likely happen over the next game(s) though...It makes me completely nauseous...[sick]

Yep Daley...that was another big loss imo. He got somewhere around 4 mil for 4 with Detroit I think? I shake my head at how he wasn't offered same from the Pens...maybe he was and elected no thanks, who knows...

I believe Daley got something on the order of $9.5 million for 3 years from the Dead Wings, which didn't sound like very big annual money to me at the time (as I'm pretty sure he was making more than that last year). JMO, the Pens didn't want any part of him for 3 years, and I suspect he took a little less up front in exchange for that term (which I myself never thought anyone would offer him 3 years).

Don't forget the team is also missing (in this series) what they arguably need more than anything else, and that's a traditional stay-at-home guy..... Ron Hainsey, who proved to be reasonably reliable (if not necessarily exceptional) guy on defense.

One more key caveat; any player with a no-movement clause in their contract MUST be protected unless it's specifically waived (like Flower did).

For the record, Letang has a limited no trade clause......meaning he's either identified teams to whom he'd be willing to accept a trade, or else those where he would NOT accept one (which I guess is ultimately a distinction without a difference).

Well I'd rather face Tampa, so I guess thats one thing that worked out well imo, funny enough having NOTHING to do with the Pens themselves though...sigh.

Oh...and in one of the wierdest, most disturbing actions out there...at least nobody will have to worry about getting a big licking this season anymore....

Last edited:
I believe Daley got something on the order of $9.5 million for 3 years from the Dead Wings, which didn't sound like very big annual money to me at the time (as I'm pretty sure he was making more than that last year). JMO, the Pens didn't want any part of him for 3 years, and I suspect he took a little less up front in exchange for that term (which I myself never thought anyone would offer him 3 years).

Don't forget the team is also missing (in this series) what they arguably need more than anything else, and that's a traditional stay-at-home guy..... Ron Hainsey, who proved to be reasonably reliable (if not necessarily exceptional) guy on defense.
True...and personally I thought the Leaves made a rather large error in playing Hainsey large minutes in meaningless games down the stretch, rather than easing off a bit on him...

Well I'd rather face Tampa, so I guess thats one thing that worked out well imo, funny enough having NOTHING to do with the Pens themselves though...sigh.

Oh...and in one of the wierdest, most disturbing actions out there...at least nobody will have to worry about getting a big licking this season anymore....
Weird prick! (Marchand-not you!)

58 isn't going anywhere unless he retires. we are stuck with him and much like maf, no one would trade a used puck bag for him.

2018-19. As pissed as I am right now with the Brassard trade, the Pens are in decent shape salary -wise for next season. Looks like they will have $8 million to spend maybe more depending on the final cap number. Rust, Kuhnhackle, Simon and Sheahan are RFA. Rowney is a UFA. I have to figure they will try so save Rust, SImon and Sheahan. Rowney hasn't been good this year but may take a 2-way deal if there is no other interest. Kuhnhackle has been a dud this year but may draw some interest as a penalty killer. I am sure GMJR will attempt to lock down Guentzel. He is a RFA in 2019-20. On the defensive side, Oleksiak is a RFA. I would think he is the priority for this off-season. In any case, I think they are pretty well situated for next season.......but they are getting old

Reactions: Euell
I'm really surprised how down I still am over Saturday's loss....so much so that I'm really not even looking forward to Game 6.

Oh, I'll certainly watch and pull for the Guins to extend the series. But the reality this game could so easily have been the clincher for the Pens.....and isn't simply (or at least mostly) because they didn't mind their friggin' basic p's and q's......just has me as down in the dumps as I've been in ages.

Of course, there's nothing that says the Guins would close out the series tonight even if they had won Game 5. I mean, I'm not sure either team is all that much more likely to win on home ice than on the road anyway.

I guess I just can't get rid of the notion we actually got a pretty decent full 60 minutes from them on Saturday.....for arguably the first time in the series....and have nothing but devastation/disappointment to show for the effort.

It probably doesn't help that the entire hockey world outside Pittsburgh is pulling for the Craps to close it out tonight. Then again, since none of them wants any part of a Game 7 no matter how well the Craps are playing.....

I'm really surprised how down I still am over Saturday's loss....so much so that I'm really not even looking forward to Game 6.

Oh, I'll certainly watch and pull for the Guins to extend the series. But the reality this game could so easily have been the clincher for the Pens.....and isn't simply (or at least mostly) because they didn't mind their friggin' basic p's and q's......just has me as down in the dumps as I've been in ages.

Of course, there's nothing that says the Guins would close out the series tonight even if they had won Game 5. I mean, I'm not sure either team is all that much more likely to win on home ice than on the road anyway.

I guess I just can't get rid of the notion we actually got a pretty decent full 60 minutes from them on Saturday.....for arguably the first time in the series....and have nothing but devastation/disappointment to show for the effort.

It probably doesn't help that the entire hockey world outside Pittsburgh is pulling for the Craps to close it out tonight. Then again, since none of them wants any part of a Game 7 no matter how well the Craps are playing.....
We just hope to extend to game 7 and then....that seed of failure is firmly planted back in their heads imo...I know what you're saying about last game and this one though. My jaw dropped to the floor late third and I woke up in one helluva pissed off mood...which lingers...oh...and somebody alert Geno, Kessel, and Brass that there is a playoff game this evening...cause they're simply gonna have to outscore em by a sizeable margin, it's plain to see the D isn't going to prevent the Craps from scoring...

PPG needs to be LOUD tonight...and for extended periods of time, these Pens need that extra push more than ever...don't disappoint me Pens faithful in attendance!!!

I admit I still strongly question Matt Murray's current ability to match Holtby save for save in consecutive games......then again, I think most will agree the pressure on Holtby (once he won Game 5) doesn't truly ramp up until Game 7. Speaking of Holtby, has he given up a single bad goal the entire series ?? Maybe so, but my feeble mind doesn't immediately recall one.

Meanwhile, the Pens have scored 13 goals in the 5 games whereas the Craps have scored 17 (though 3 were ENG). That means goals are 14-13 with goals tended, which means.....even with Murray's comparatively substandard play.....the Craps are hardly dominating on the scoreboard (and the Guins have actually outshot the Craps marginally, 142-138).

Don't recall if Guentzel's 2nd goal in the last minute of Game 4 might have been into the empty net (it was a PPG, though).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT