ADVERTISEMENT

Pens-Sens

Just can't stand prosperity..... Dumoulin was out there watching the puck and Dzingle simply parked his ass at the corner of the crease behind him.

Sens park 2 defensemen at the goal line either side of Anderson. Pens aren't going to score down low with THAT kind of defense.

No, that was an optical illusion (as Pierre correctly reported).....the puck was on TOP of the goal, not inside the net. But MAN, that overhead replay sure made it look like a good goal.

I may be sorry I said this one week from tonight, but I myself am not concerned about going up against Pekka Rinne....as for the rest of the Preds, we'll see.

Sens extremely disappointed. My pick for close second: Preds. I am certain they would rather have faced Ottawa. Let's get Horny back and REPEAT!

I gotta say Kessel had an excellent game considering he didn't score a goal.....and that sure isn't his typical story line.

Reactions: Euell
Interesting (and some strange) stats:

SOG: Pens 42 Sens 29
Hits: Pens 44 Sens 25
Giveaways: Sens 1 Pens 9
Takeaways: Pens 8 Sens 6
Faceoffs Won: Sens 43 Pens 39

Pens were getting drilled on Faceoffs early; they really closed the gap as the game progresses. Of the 9 Pens Giveaways, Geno was only "credited" with 3; but it sure seemed like way more than that to my eyes.

Reactions: hbeacheer and Euell
One more thing tonight; Guentzel is clearly working his way down the pecking order as he only played 13:59 in this 2 OT game; least on the team. Alternately, Sheary played 21:44, and I suspect he may have played himself back onto Sid's wing again.

Meanwhile I think Sid was something like 4-13 on Faceoffs at one point; he finished 18-16.

One more thing tonight; Guentzel is clearly working his way down the pecking order as he only played 13:59 in this 2 OT game; least on the team. Alternately, Sheary played 21:44, and I suspect he may have played himself back onto Sid's wing again.

Meanwhile I think Sid was something like 4-13 on Faceoffs at one point; he finished 18-16.
THAT sort of recovery is quite something...we noticed the fail early, but later I had no idea he evened it up...

Reactions: hbeacheer and Euell
Interesting (and some strange) stats:

SOG: Pens 42 Sens 29
Hits: Pens 44 Sens 25
Giveaways: Sens 1 Pens 9
Takeaways: Pens 8 Sens 6
Faceoffs Won: Sens 43 Pens 39

Pens were getting drilled on Faceoffs early; they really closed the gap as the game progresses. Of the 9 Pens Giveaways, Geno was only "credited" with 3; but it sure seemed like way more than that to my eyes.
As good as #71 is, you can always count on some sloppy play from him leading to a giveaway or two, quite often in the defensive end. One year in the playoffs it seemed like the opponents were getting great scoring chances time after time because of it. As you pointed out last night, # 3 and #8 are prone to giveaways at times as well. Let's clean it up a little for the finals guys.

Reactions: torontoeers
As good as #71 is, you can always count on some sloppy play from him leading to a giveaway or two, quite often in the defensive end. One year in the playoffs it seemed like the opponents were getting great scoring chances time after time because of it. As you pointed out last night, # 3 and #8 are prone to giveaways at times as well. Let's clean it up a little for the finals guys.

He just throws so many of those half-assed blind backhand passes in the neutral zone......or, as you said, in his own end.....that it's hard to figure. You'd think he'd cut down on them as he aged, but he's as bad today as he was as a rookie.

Meanwhile, just read an interesting stat in this morning's T/R: last night was Carl Hagelin's 9th Game 7 since his rookie season of 2012.....and it would have been his 10th had he not been hurt for Game 7 against Washington. Just wish the guy was playing with all his tools; because it's pretty apparent if you take away his legs (or feet), he's a journeyman at best.

Lastly (at least for now), did you feel as though Sid might have been playing hurt last night ?? He was certainly good early in the game.....and I thought he was far more noticeable in the OT......but he seemed to my eyes to have totally disappeared in (especially) the 2nd and 3rd periods.

He just throws so many of those half-assed blind backhand passes in the neutral zone......or, as you said, in his own end.....that it's hard to figure. You'd think he'd cut down on them as he aged, but he's as bad today as he was as a rookie.

Meanwhile, just read an interesting stat in this morning's T/R: last night was Carl Hagelin's 9th Game 7 since his rookie season of 2012.....and it would have been his 10th had he not been hurt for Game 7 against Washington. Just wish the guy was playing with all his tools; because it's pretty apparent if you take away his legs (or feet), he's a journeyman at best.

Lastly (at least for now), did you feel as though Sid might have been playing hurt last night ?? He was certainly good early in the game.....and I thought he was far more noticeable in the OT......but he seemed to my eyes to have totally disappeared in (especially) the 2nd and 3rd periods.
I don't know if Sid was hurt or not, but your point about him largely disappearing in 2nd and 3rd is well taken. I was really hoping they would win Game 6 in Ottawa to get a couple of days extra rest and time to heal, but obviously that did not happen. My hope (not a prediction-I suck at that) is win two at the Paints, split in Music City, and then only need to win 1 of the final 3. What do you think WVRon?

Reactions: torontoeers
I'm not even sure what's bothering Grapes; I guess he just thinks the only suitable pregame behavior is skating laps with a frown on your face. As I see it, this whole thing is HIS problem; if Subban or Toews or St. Carey were doing the same thing, he's be cheering them for bring loose rather than nervous.

As for taking shots at Kessel (and Hainsey, apparently) for being American, it means nothing to me. He's hated Kessel (and everything associated with the Pens) forever, and clearly thinks he's created some kind of cover for himself; leaving him free to play this nationalist angle in a game where everyone watching him is rooting for the Sens anyway.

To me, his whole demonstration is one big PFFFTTTT.......

ADVERTISEMENT