ADVERTISEMENT

Pens-Sens

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
I jumped on this boys...only cause I can't wait!!! I think it lands on our long weekend up here when in Ottawa for games 3-4....oh boy...lets go! Fire away...that Karlsson is a beast, and they have owned our lads but NEW season...lets get some bodies healthy!!! Whoa ya!!!!

I jumped on this boys...only cause I can't wait!!! I think it lands on our long weekend up here when in Ottawa for games 3-4....oh boy...lets go! Fire away...that Karlsson is a beast, and they have owned our lads but NEW season...lets get some bodies healthy!!! Whoa ya!!!!
GOOD TIMES!

VERY pleased to see this new thread......I think I'll enjoy the win tonight, though, before I start trying to figure out the conference finals [thumb2][thumb2]

Thursday morning rumor is Botterill AND Tochett to Buffalo

Thursday morning rumor is Botterill AND Tochett to Buffalo
Yikes...I heard that bandied about last week about Botterill but hadnt heard Tochett. I'd hate to lose both, especially Botterill, but I suppose can't hold him back, he's earned the right....
Not that I want him gone...quite to the contrary but how long is GMJR'S contract and is he planning on hangin it up soon? Any idea?

Interesting thought....does McPhee make a deal to aquire the guy he drafted Player 8? They have to get to the floor of cap, which may not be an easy task depending on who they take? The floor is just north of 50 mil as I recall....10 mil eats into that a fair bit...
IMO they should have dealt him a couple years back but...marketing and not the easiest deal to make. Now may just be the oportune time!

I freely admit I'm one of those types who never assumes anything in playoffs, bowl games, etc......and also assumes that the opponent is essentially always good enough to beat my team. No exception here; I feel as though anyone figuring on a walkover......like ESPN, who's on the record with the Pens in 5......is horribly underselling Ottawa.

Whether the Sens stand up to the Pens man-for-man is open for discussion. But it's impossible......or should be......for anyone to dismiss Ottawa simply because of Erik Karlsson. When you have an elite guy playing at his current level......especially at hockey's equivalent of QB.....he just impacts everything they do. And even with a broken heel, I don't know who the Pens have to keep up with him.

That's not to say I don't have some level of confidence after getting by two of probably the top 4 teams coming into this year's playoffs. Nobody in the game has navigated a playoff road near as rough as the Pens thus far, so they should be fairly well prepared for most of what the Sens can throw at them.

Of course, in addition to dealing with EK, there's the Marc Methot complication at play.....no danger that Sid gets lucky enough to avoid yet another round of Wilson/Dubinsky-level harrassment.......and even friggin' Bobby Ryan has returned to the game after being MIA for much of the past few seasons. And let's not forget about the feel-good Craig Anderson story.

Anyway, all we know for sure is the hockey world in general.....and possibly every single Canadian aside Mr & Mrs t.....will be pulling for the Sens. So, just get ready for the latest chapter of Pens Against the Universe.

Reactions: torontoeers
Just heard Botterill hired. Congrats to him. Owner Pagula has money he wants to spend apparently to improve...he's got himself a pretty smart fella to man the ship now...

Somebody was finally smart enough to recognize what Botterill brought to the table......sorry he's gone, but good for him; he wasn't going anywhere with the Pens for at least another couple or 3 years. I assume Billy Guerin will now be elevated to Associate GM (unless JB adds him to the Sabres front office, too).

If I were Guerin....and assuming he earns the promotion.....I'd stay in Pittsburgh and position myself as GMJR's new heir apparent.

I freely admit I'm one of those types who never assumes anything in playoffs, bowl games, etc......and also assumes that the opponent is essentially always good enough to beat my team. No exception here; I feel as though anyone figuring on a walkover......like ESPN, who's on the record with the Pens in 5......is horribly underselling Ottawa.

Whether the Sens stand up to the Pens man-for-man is open for discussion. But it's impossible......or should be......for anyone to dismiss Ottawa simply because of Erik Karlsson. When you have an elite guy playing at his current level......especially at hockey's equivalent of QB.....he just impacts everything they do. And even with a broken heel, I don't know who the Pens have to keep up with him.

That's not to say I don't have some level of confidence after getting by two of probably the top 4 teams coming into this year's playoffs. Nobody in the game has navigated a playoff road near as rough as the Pens thus far, so they should be fairly well prepared for most of what the Sens can throw at them.

Of course, in addition to dealing with EK, there's the Marc Methot complication at play.....no danger that Sid gets lucky enough to avoid yet another round of Wilson/Dubinsky-level harrassment.......and even friggin' Bobby Ryan has returned to the game after being MIA for much of the past few seasons. And let's not forget about the feel-good Craig Anderson story.

Anyway, all we know for sure is the hockey world in general.....and possibly every single Canadian aside Mr & Mrs t.....will be pulling for the Sens. So, just get ready for the latest chapter of Pens Against the Universe.
One thing will say is the Sens were the squad I feared (or perhaps concerned) the most from the East...was hopeful somebody would have eliminated them by this stage. They have top level goaltending , with that emotional feel good story you mention, which I seems to be adding fire to Andersons belly. Karlsson, such an incredible talent, I mean would he be the closest one could compare to Orr over all these years? He might be...and they have the sort of talent up front to form 3 #2 lines if you get my drift...just solid throughout. This lends me to thinking it is Geno's line which will have perhaps the greatest opportunity? They will often see the ice vs the Ceci/Paneuf D pairing and if Geno and Phil are on their game (fingers crossed), they could find significant chances to capitalize on...then again when Karlsson is playing 30 minutes a game maybe they will see more of him than they want to...Sid is gonna have his hands full with Pageau draped all over him I imagine much of the time....Turris seems to be playing with some real fire too, I think his contract is due and may find himself quite the payday!
I agree 5 games seems awfully optimistic...I think this one goes 6 or 7...with the good guys prevailing...just need as many guys back to reasonable health as possible, giving Sully more flexibilty to play with...

One thing will say is the Sens were the squad I feared (or perhaps concerned) the most from the East...was hopeful somebody would have eliminated them by this stage. They have top level goaltending , with that emotional feel good story you mention, which I seems to be adding fire to Andersons belly. Karlsson, such an incredible talent, I mean would he be the closest one could compare to Orr over all these years? He might be...and they have the sort of talent up front to form 3 #2 lines if you get my drift...just solid throughout. This lends me to thinking it is Geno's line which will have perhaps the greatest opportunity? They will often see the ice vs the Ceci/Paneuf D pairing and if Geno and Phil are on their game (fingers crossed), they could find significant chances to capitalize on...then again when Karlsson is playing 30 minutes a game maybe they will see more of him than they want to...Sid is gonna have his hands full with Pageau draped all over him I imagine much of the time....Turris seems to be playing with some real fire too, I think his contract is due and may find himself quite the payday!
I agree 5 games seems awfully optimistic...I think this one goes 6 or 7...with the good guys prevailing...just need as many guys back to reasonable health as possible, giving Sully more flexibilty to play with...

I forgot about Phaneuf.....who''ll be head-hunting Sid almost as much as Methot......and Turris has always been the dictionary definition of a Penguins killer. Meanwhile, aside the fact Pageau single handedly napalmed the NYR that one game, I really don't know much about him. But I admit I'm personally not that afraid of Anderson. What I'd be worrying about if I were a Sens fan is if Karlsson is ready to collapse; I mean, how much more can they expect/ask from the guy ??

All that said, I myself would have much preferred a match up against the Rangers......

A few Sens friends popping by here for the game...any suggestions? A case of food poisoning?...maybe not...they are good friends ...a drink that will knock them on their asses like the Pens will do to their team?

Enjoy the game fellas...lets get the first one here!
Go Pens Go!!!!!!

I assumed going in there would be a letdown and the Pens would lose one of two initial home games. You really need the next one now. Hopefully, HCMS makes whatever adjustments need made and the boys pick it up a notch. Unless I am mistaken they have now lost 3 of the last four on home ice.
Let's Go Pens!

There's plenty of post game moaning coming from Pens media, so really nothing for me to add.....though even I'm surprised to what extent Geno, Kessel, AND Sid have been ripped.

Anyway, not sure anyone is......or really should be.....shocked they came out if the box so stale coming off Round 2. And fortunately for the Pens, Game 1 remains the most comparatively irrelevant in a 7-game series. But if they can't find a way to regain home ice beginning Wednesday night, then they obviously have no business winning the series anyway.

While I obviously want them playing for the Cup, I have to admit I got most everything I wanted this playoff season with the past 2 series wins. I'm not sure what anyone expected.....or should have expected.....from a compromised team (health wise) after consecutive series against WAY bigger opponents committed to beating them thru sheer attrition.

OK, enough of my bleeding heart; I just hope they're a little readier to play tomorrow night in Game 2.

There's plenty of post game moaning coming from Pens media, so really nothing for me to add.....though even I'm surprised to what extent Geno, Kessel, AND Sid have been ripped.

Anyway, not sure anyone is......or really should be.....shocked they came out if the box so stale coming off Round 2. And fortunately for the Pens, Game 1 remains the most comparatively irrelevant in a 7-game series. But if they can't find a way to regain home ice beginning Wednesday night, then they obviously have no business winning the series anyway.

While I obviously want them playing for the Cup, I have to admit I got most everything I wanted this playoff season with the past 2 series wins. I'm not sure what anyone expected.....or should have expected.....from a compromised team (health wise) after consecutive series against WAY bigger opponents committed to beating them thru sheer attrition.

OK, enough of my bleeding heart; I just hope they're a little readier to play tomorrow night in Game 2.

I'm greedy, I want another cup this season! As bad as we played last night it took several posts, a crossbar and an OT for the Sens to win. I still like the Pens in six.

Reactions: hbeacheer
I'm greedy, I want another cup this season! As bad as we played last night it took several posts, a crossbar and an OT for the Sens to win. I still like the Pens in six.
You have a proven track record of prognostication so I will trust you on this one. It would certainly go a long way toward achieving this to win at PPG tomorrow.

Great points. It looks like a seven game series after last night but six would be great.

You have a proven track record of prognostication so I will trust you on this one. It would certainly go a long way toward achieving this to win at PPG tomorrow.

I agree a win tonight is a must. This team seems to always respond in these situations though. It would help if we would move Kunitz to the 4th line where he belongs, get Streit in for Ruh, put Hags back in. Also, does Hainsey scare anyone else? Dude looks like he's skating in mud and is so slow moving the puck. I'd actually prefer Streit over him but I know that won't happen.

I agree a win tonight is a must. This team seems to always respond in these situations though. It would help if we would move Kunitz to the 4th line where he belongs, get Streit in for Ruh, put Hags back in. Also, does Hainsey scare anyone else? Dude looks like he's skating in mud and is so slow moving the puck. I'd actually prefer Streit over him but I know that won't happen.

Actually, they do.....well, except for Game 6 versus the Craps :scream: But I agree we should all expect a better, more focused effort tonight.....because without it, they're effectively on life support after only two games.

From what I can tell, they're hoping for Hagelin tonight, who (all things being equal) is precisely the kind of player they need against a defensive trap. But I don't think there's any doubt he's still some distance from full recovery from his injury, whether or not he's dressed. Meanwhile, while he's apparently skating again, it appears as though Daley is still some distance from returning to the lineup.

Regarding Streit, I currently don't know what it's going to take.....aside multiple injuries.....to earn him any playing time. As for Hainsey, he must deliver something HCMS likes, though I myself don't know what that is. Since neither is anywhere close to an ideal defensive solution, RH must simply have fewer comparative demerits than Streit.

My two cents...and likely just what it's worth lol...
Plain to see there will be little of the stretch pass this series, hell it's hard enough to get the puck deep without icing it regardless, so...imo they need to hit their own blueline with speed and hit the RIGHT SIDE winger (yeah I'm lookin for you PHIL) so he can quick chip it in deep. This to my eyes is where they are trying to jam up the Pens (Karlssons weak side if their is one), I saw the Pens attempt it from the LHS a few times gm 1 and it had next to no success...the LW and C (yes I'm lookin for you two Conor and potentially Carl) need to be gunning it on the forecheck as soon as the chip happens, and preferably hammer Karlsson at least a few times, at least get there to create the battle...this might really be the series that the Pens could use a BIG and FAST winger, but I guess ya cant have it all...oh and Sid...you need to be better on the faceoffs, the icings are going to happen, get the puck out, and it starts at the dot! I'm not overconfident but do see them coming back with a solid effort this eve...
Let's Go Pens! Knot it up....

Last edited:
Reactions: Euell
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT