ADVERTISEMENT

Pens Season opener and Oct!

They've gotta get Big Ben when he is standing up or moving side to side...his biggest weakness has always been between those big legs...if he is down there are few better imo

Not having played the game, I often wondered what the basic book is on monsters like Bishop or Devin Dubnyk......what you said makes perfect sense. But when these guys are playing well, hard to envision from a distance how to beat them unless you can get them moving one way and then hit a teammate on their back side with a pass.

Reactions: torontoeers
Cmon boys...Murr is having himself a go here, lets pot one on Big Ben...

Thus far. Murray looks as confident as he's looked all season. Too bad his teammates are getting out skated this period. Hope they can make the break tied, and pick things up fresh in the 3rd.

Not having played the game, I often wondered what the basic book is on monsters like Bishop or Devin Dubnyk......what you said makes perfect sense. But when these guys are playing well, hard to envision from a distance how to beat them unless you can get them moving one way and then hit a teammate on their back side with a pass.
I played awhile , but was a bit of a slug/ shit disturber type lol as I think I mentioned to you before...everything I post on the netminders is pretty much regurgitated from my neighbour goalie. He's constantly telling me he'd never survive in today's game. It is all simply about percentages and BLOCKING rather than saving. His pads were legit heavy horsehair and he stands 5'11. 6 ft 6 and equipment bigger/light as air now? As well as an athlete? Unreal....
The one thing he does keep saying to me is every player in the league aims for the left or right of head now unless it's a squeaker or howitzer from the point...or in right tight.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Thus far. Murray looks as confident as he's looked all season. Too bad his teammates are getting out skated this period. Hope they can make the break tied, and pick things up fresh in the 3rd.
Would ya take a point after Wed? Then take our chances? I'd like to say ya, but man a regulation win would likely do wonders...it is within reach....

Would ya take a point after Wed? Then take our chances? I'd like to say ya, but man a regulation win would likely do wonders...it is within reach....

Pens have generally been decent in 3rd periods this season; but if Sid is hurt, the challenge is maybe TOO huge......so without knowing Sid's condition, I might say YES to taking the point.

Hey t, were you able to find Mearsy and Errey ??
Nope...not unless I attempt to stream it. I should actually start to link the local radio in when I watch on these type broadcasts...if it is Wed or a road game on wknd I get the Fox or local feed. Otherwise I tend to get Mearsy/Errey....

Bigly glad to see Sid out there......but with Bishop looking SO tough to beat, why it it that I can see the breakthrough goal coming from someone like friggin' Kahun ??

Mearsy saying it's nice to see the Pens get a few breaks tonight coming off the nothing burgers they got vs Vegas, Florida, and Tampa

I wont say this is one MM stole (we always seem to wait for those nights), but it is one he was damned solid. First star earned there with the SO. And a solid effort from these guys to keep the pressure on in first half of 3rd.
I saw relatively little puck panic from the Black and Gold in that 3rd, which is positive. Big regulation win for em .

VERY satisfying win......IMO, outplayed the Stars fairly significantly in the 3rd, got some of the breaks Mearsy was talking about, and they get a well earned 2 points before coming home for the Cryers.

Hoping this performance sets the stage for an MM hot streak in goal :victory::pray:

Pens with 16 SOG in the 3rd......VERY impressive

In the 3rd period thus far this season, Stars are getting outscored 19-9 (T-30th in GA) and have 51 giveaways (dead last).......

I wont say this is one MM stole (we always seem to wait for those nights), but it is one he was damned solid. First star earned there with the SO. And a solid effort from these guys to keep the pressure on in first half of 3rd.
I saw relatively little puck panic from the Black and Gold in that 3rd, which is positive. Big regulation win for em .
Gotta give those props to the folks up in Regina. That was some freezing balls weather to watch an NHL game.just reinforces that canada is the land of Hockey.

Not sure if you heard/read any of Stars HC Jim Montgomery's post game comments......

But I found my shocked with his candor, saying things like "they came out and shoved it down our throats" in the 3rd period. We all know SOP these days is for the losing coach (under circumstances like these) on the dais to vaguely acknowledge the play of the opponent, but more typically drone on about what we did/didn't do.

I admit I didn't listen to the entire PC, and he may very well have eventually taken his team to task. But find me a clip of someone like Torts (or maybe Babs) saying the Pens 3rd period "mindset" was indicative of a 2-time Cup winner. Probably not a fair (or realistic) request, as Torts would sooner take needles under his fingernails than acknowledge the Pens........

[
w6-top-10-graphic-1-730x730.jpg

Speaking of Juniors; when a kid signs a pro contract but returns to his Junior team, does he collect the pro salary while playing in Junior ?? For example, Sammy Poulin is signed with the Pens for 3 years at $925K/season, and Nathan Lagare for 3 years at $807,167/season.

Does this mean these guys will be buying the pizza/Big Macs/poutine for all their teammates (and their girlfriends) everytime they go out after practice (or after a game), or does the pro salary remain on hold/in the bank until they join the organzation as full time pros ??

Speaking of Juniors; when a kid signs a pro contract but returns to his Junior team, does he collect the pro salary while playing in Junior ?? For example, Sammy Poulin is signed with the Pens for 3 years at $925K/season, and Nathan Lagare for 3 years at $807,167/season.

Does this mean these guys will be buying the pizza/Big Macs/poutine for all their teammates (and their girlfriends) everytime they go out after practice (or after a game), or does the pro salary remain on hold/in the bank until they join the organzation as full time pros ??
To my cursory knowledge. These are both Entry level contracts a max of 3 years. If a player goes back to Junior or AHL affiliate these terms can slide adding an extra year effectively to the term I believe unpaid. However there is a clause within Junior that allows the player a max $ value of 70 g's per anum once an NHL deal is signed. I am not sure how the two you mention would slot into that. If there is some kind of bridge deal available to give them those $ but still allow the year to slide....oh and all Signing bonuses are paid in full however at time of signing...I think if headed back to Junior this is how many are actually paid for that year or 2. I'd be curious to know the bonus structure on both Poulin and Lagare, something tells me they got a sizable chunk in that fashion...hope this helps.

Oh and FYI, we are still rollin!
https://gopetesgo.com/article/petes-hit-double-digits-in-win-over-steelheads

And the rook kid McTavish who held out and finally signed? 10 goals in 14 games to start....on fire!

Last edited:
Gotta give those props to the folks up in Regina. That was some freezing balls weather to watch an NHL game.just reinforces that canada is the land of Hockey.
These outdoor matches have pretty much run their course for me...however this particular one as a neutral site game in a fairly new football facility roughly 600 km from each city was a rather novel idea. Both fanbases are pretty rabid for their teams and you could effectively split Sask down the middle in terms of support for each. Maybe the Flames with a slight edge seeing as NHL hockey was gone for so long in the Peg. More impressive is the onslaught of fans travelling on prairie roads start of icy winter weather for a fairly long haul to see their boys in the cold. Good on em, and hopefully all got home safely and had fun!
I also loved the retro jerseys each wore for the game....

These outdoor matches have pretty much run their course for me...however this particular one as a neutral site game in a fairly new football facility roughly 600 km from each city was a rather novel idea. Both fanbases are pretty rabid for their teams and you could effectively split Sask down the middle in terms of support for each. Maybe the Flames with a slight edge seeing as NHL hockey was gone for so long in the Peg. More impressive is the onslaught of fans travelling on prairie roads start of icy winter weather for a fairly long haul to see their boys in the cold. Good on em, and hopefully all got home safely and had fun!
I also loved the retro jerseys each wore for the game....
The novelty of the outdoor game has worn off a bit but this game was more old school. It was probably a blast to the past for some of those canadian boys who were playing in that game. Im sure they played some outdoor games in there childhood on some pond in balls freezing cold weather. I think the NHL should do a couple games a year in Hockey crazed areas that don't have NHL Teams. Maybe hit Nova scotia or New brunswick I am sure they will show for one of these spectacles.

The novelty of the outdoor game has worn off a bit but this game was more old school. It was probably a blast to the past for some of those canadian boys who were playing in that game. Im sure they played some outdoor games in there childhood on some pond in balls freezing cold weather. I think the NHL should do a couple games a year in Hockey crazed areas that don't have NHL Teams. Maybe hit Nova scotia or New brunswick I am sure they will show for one of these spectacles.
Oh ya for sure many have played on the local lake/pond, and still do growing up. Although I'd wager it's less now than a few decades ago. We actually play in a tourney yearly on my local lake which will happen this Feb again...
Halifax would likely be an interesting spot to hold one IF they can get the facility linked built.
It would be the only stadium close to large enough out there...
Would be curious to see who they'd narrow the teams down to...my first bet says Habs vs Bruins seeing as there is a fairly large contingent from each base out there...second bet says one or both of the local boys Sid /Nathan...that rat Marchand also a local so who knows...

Anyway new football stadium plans for Dartmouth across the river from Halifax proper...24000 I would think is the minimum gate needed to pull it off with all the logistics involved.... Expanding to 30 or so would help.
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/local/halifax-releases-100-million-stadium-plan-357023/

To my cursory knowledge. These are both Entry level contracts a max of 3 years. If a player goes back to Junior or AHL affiliate these terms can slide adding an extra year effectively to the term I believe unpaid. However there is a clause within Junior that allows the player a max $ value of 70 g's per anum once an NHL deal is signed. I am not sure how the two you mention would slot into that. If there is some kind of bridge deal available to give them those $ but still allow the year to slide....oh and all Signing bonuses are paid in full however at time of signing...I think if headed back to Junior this is how many are actually paid for that year or 2. I'd be curious to know the bonus structure on both Poulin and Lagare, something tells me they got a sizable chunk in that fashion...hope this helps.

Probably could have done this prior to your response, t; but from what I can tell (according to Capfriendly) both signed the same 3 year/$2.775 million entry level deal. However, it appears Poulin's deal essentially is guaranteed, while Legare's incorporates a small Performance Bonus aspect:

Poulin
  • $925K Cap Hit
  • $925K AAV
  • $92.5 Signing Bonus
  • $0 Performance Bonus
  • $70K Minor League Salary
  • $10K Junior Salary
Legare
  • $809K Cap Hit (I can't figure out this math)
  • $925K AAV
  • $92.5 Signing Bonus
  • $132.5K Performance Bonus
  • $10K Junior Salary
I obviously forgot about the limits to Junior salaries, and knew that minor/NHL salaries differed (unless the player in question had an NHL-only, 1-way contract).

What I also see is that while most high Draft picks sign effectively sign the same base salary deals, they're eligible for significant Performance Bonuses (which Poulin, even as a 1st rounder, doesn't have). For example, a lower 2nd rounder like Legare has to earn $132,500......whereas someone like the Byrum kid (picked 4th by Colorado) can actually earn up to $7.5 million once he turns pro.

Where that leaves me is why do kids like Poulin and Lagare even sign entry-level deals if they're going back to Juniors (and can't earn the salary until they get to the NHL) ?? I guess that's the only way they can pocket any real money.....in the form of the signing bonus.....up front. However, there are a lot of draftees that don't sign entry level deals this early (and go on the team's Reserve list).....or presumably ever.

I have to assume those like Poulin and Lagare who sign now are doing so because they want to "guarantee" their team's committment to them early in the process

Probably could have done this prior to your response, t; but from what I can tell (according to Capfriendly) both signed the same 3 year/$2.775 million entry level deal. However, it appears Poulin's deal essentially is guaranteed, while Legare's incorporates a small Performance Bonus aspect:

Poulin
  • $925K Cap Hit
  • $925K AAV
  • $92.5 Signing Bonus
  • $0 Performance Bonus
  • $10K Junior Salary
Legare
  • $809K Cap Hit (I can't figure out this math)
  • $925K AAV
  • $92.5 Signing Bonus
  • $132.5K Performance Bonus
  • $10K Junior Salary
I obviously forgot about the limits to Junior salaries, and knew that minor/NHL salaries differed (unless the player in question had an NHL-only, 1-way contract).

What I also see is that while most high Draft picks sign effectively sign the same base salary deals, they're eligible for significant Performance Bonuses (which Poulin, even as a 1st rounder, doesn't have). For example, a lower 2nd rounder like Legare has to earn $132,500......whereas someone like the Byrum kid (picked 4th by Colorado) can actually earn up to $7.5 million once he turns pro.

Where that leaves me is why do kids like Poulin and Lagare even sign entry-level deals if they're going back to Juniors (and can't earn the salary until they get to the NHL) ?? I guess that's the only way they can pocket any real money.....in the form of the signing bonus.....up front. However, there are a lot of draftees that don't sign entry level deals this early (and go on the team's Reserve list).....or presumably ever.

I have to assume those like Poulin and Lagare who sign now are doing so because they want to "guarantee" their team's committment to them early in the process
Yup...imo it's gotta be all about that signing bonus, and that level of commitment.
My cousin signed with Sabres many years back, was shipped out to the Baltimore Skipjacks, where knee was torn up, and I know for fact there was no signing bonus...not sure on what was covered under his minor contract, I'll have to ask him one day...likely nothing even close to the wheelhouse of today's deals I imagine...

Also wondering if that Lagare reduced Cap hit has anything to do with his performance bonus. The difference seems close. I'd think it's gotta be a creative way of lowering any future cap implications. Not sure what the agreement says in that regard...

Also wondering if that Lagare reduced Cap hit has anything to do with his performance bonus. The difference seems close. I'd think it's gotta be a creative way of lowering any future cap implications. Not sure what the agreement says in that regard...

I assumed it did, but the math didn't seem to work.

Now, I've looked again......and it turns out his bonuses aren't spread equally across the 3-year term of the contract; he can earn $132,500 in Years 1 & 2, but only $82,500 in Year #3 (which I completely missed).

Add those three numbers together, and it equals a theoretical maximum total bonus during the contract term of $347,500.....divided by three, that's an average annual bonus of $115,833. Subtract that number from his $925K base salary, you get a cap hit of a touch greater than $809K/season.....so there you go.

What surprises me is that Poulin agreed to a deal with no annual performance bonuses; a couple other 2019 #1 picks (I think all picked lower) also signed deals with no bonuses. Not sure why you'd agree to that; somehow, I'm guessing the bonuses aren't ridiculously difficult to achieve (whatever that means, exactly).

Save Geno, PHN reporting all injured (including Dumo and Yuk) will be game time decisions tomorrow night versus the Cryers......and Geno is evidently shooting to return Saturday versus the Oil.

Save Geno, PHN reporting all injured (including Dumo and Yuk) will be game time decisions tomorrow night versus the Cryers......and Geno is evidently shooting to return Saturday versus the Oil.
I like the fact that these walking wounded will have to compete for ice time... or at least should, it bodes well imo....curious to see Sully and GMJR decision making process when it comes right down to it. We need to win NOW and if it comes down to it, younger, cheaper and more effort should drive the vets I would hope....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT