ADVERTISEMENT

Pens - - JAN 2018

Rask didn't look much better on Sheahan than Jarry did on Pasternak.....goaltending has really smelled in this one.

Reactions: torontoeers
The entire Division still has anywhere from one to three games in hand over the Pens. For that reason, their position in the standings this morning really doesn't mean that much, and they need this bye to bring their schedule into better balance with the competition.

The next time they take the ice will therefore give us a much better practical understanding as to what they'll REALLY need to do in terms of making their 2nd half push.

Reactions: torontoeers
Lol... @Irwineer2 is likely pouring over video evidence right now to prove me wrong! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
letang-turnover-and-shot.gif

couldn't find a gif of the terrible play right before the pasternak goal.

To be fair I thought he attempted the pass to Dumo and he muffed receiving it. I may be wrong...

BTW, I watched the replay of the Pasternak goal on TV in the postgame coverage.

Letang was trying to hit Dominik Simon (#12) with a clearing pass from the far wall which DP intercepted. I was initiallly thinking Letang half-assed the pass.....but Simon was in the open ice at the blue line, and a bullet pass back cross-ice might have been a low percentage play for KL. And, it's not like Simon exactly busted his ass to play/receive the pass; I myself thought he was kinda' floating out there himself.

So, in this case, I'm willing to give Letang the benefit of the doubt. However, I admit I don't/can't play the game.....and if someone who does tried to convince me Letang made a bad decision/pass, I'd have to listen.

Reactions: Irwineer2
BTW, I watched the replay of the Pasternak goal on TV in the postgame coverage.

Letang was trying to hit Dominik Simon (#12) with a clearing pass from the far wall which DP intercepted. I was initiallly thinking Letang half-assed the pass.....but Simon was in the open ice at the blue line, and a bullet pass back cross-ice might have been a low percentage play for KL. And, it's not like Simon exactly busted his ass to play/receive the pass; I myself thought he was kinda' floating out there himself.

So, in this case, I'm willing to give Letang the benefit of the doubt. However, I admit I don't/can't play the game.....and if someone who does tried to convince me Letang made a bad decision/pass, I'd have to listen.

It truly is bad and stupid decisions that maje 58 look terrible. The guy is a very gifted player, he just cant stay out of his own way.

After over 10 seasons of this maybe its time to move 58. Maybe he can repair his career in an organization that holds its players accountable on the ice.

For the record, on NHLN Radio this afternoon, Boomer Gordon took Letang to the woodshed for that clearing pass to nowhere leading to the Pasternak goal. While I myself don't think Gordon watched the entire sequence closely......and focused solely on the result (rather than any of the surrounding circumstances)......I still won't say he's wrong.

If you guys didn't hear this news today, the Black Hawks made Brent Seabrook a healthy scratch for tonight's game at Ottawa.

This is evidently considered a significant development, as the Hawks are supposedly having serious defensive problems this season. Seabrook was said to have taken the news like a pro; but while it's fairly common knowledge the Hawks would kill to get rid of him (even though he's well-liked), his contract is viewed as immovable unless the Hawks maintain some (not sure how much) of his salary. Of course, we've not seen anyone with the Pens ask Letang to take a seat thus far this season.

Per NHL Numbers: not including 2017/18.....where Seabrook (who turns 33 in April) is being paid a borderline insane $9 million.....he's still owed $27.5 million over the next 4 seasons ($6.875 million cap hit). By comparison, Letang (who turns 31 in April) is being paid a pretty damned high $7.25 million in 2017/18 and is owed $29 million over the same next 4 seasons ($7.25 million cap hit)

If you guys didn't hear this news today, the Black Hawks made Brent Seabrook a healthy scratch for tonight's game at Ottawa.

This is evidently considered a significant development, as the Hawks are supposedly having serious defensive problems this season. Seabrook was said to have taken the news like a pro; but while it's fairly common knowledge the Hawks would kill to get rid of him (even though he's well-liked), his contract is viewed as immovable unless the Hawks maintain some (not sure how much) of his salary. Of course, we've not seen anyone with the Pens ask Letang to take a seat thus far this season.

Per NHL Numbers: not including 2017/18.....where Seabrook (who turns 33 in April) is being paid a borderline insane $9 million.....he's still owed $27.5 million over the next 4 seasons ($6.875 million cap hit). By comparison, Letang (who turns 31 in April) is being paid a pretty damned high $7.25 million in 2017/18 and is owed $29 million over the same next 4 seasons ($7.25 million cap hit)

they did that few games ago when they made up that injury. I really wish they would have done that publicly.

Bye week...so not much happening Pens wise unless trade whisperings...so...why not throw out a classic video or two? You guys remember this lol? It's the B's and Rangers but still hilarious. Milbury beating some guy with a shoe hahaha...

so 58 was just named to all star team for the metro division.

yes, I'm rustled.

double m reported this afternoon on his show that its going to be hard for rutheford to make a move because the rest of the league is sick of the pens winning and no one wants to make a deal with them.

wow.

so 58 was just named to all star team for the metro division.

yes, I'm rustled.

I missed the selections yesterday......but I heard NHLN Radio talking about them today after the lunch hour. When I heard them say Letang made it, I thought it was a mistake. Wyshinski and Boomer Gordon were then talking about whether or not the ASG was a meritocracy.

This selection obviously answers that question......though Wyshinski spent a fair amount of time talking about the selections of Fleury and James Neal as being a concession to Pens and Preds fans. As I recall, Pens fans dropped Neal before they went to bed the night he kneed Rat Marchand in the head (which greased the skids for the Hornqvist deal).

double m reported this afternoon on his show that its going to be hard for rutheford to make a move because the rest of the league is sick of the pens winning and no one wants to make a deal with them.

wow.

Maybe......and I admit I haven't listened to Madden for a long time.....but I myself wouldn't put too much stock into what he says on this particular issue. Meanwhile, I don't think the Pens have the raw assets to make any kind of truly impactful deal. I do believe GMJR will keep Ian Cole on the block, but I don't think he'll deal Cole just to deal him.

I missed the selections yesterday......and I heard NHLN Radio talking about the selections today after the lunch hour. When i heard them say Letang made it, I thought it was a mistake. Wyshinski and Boomer Gordon were talking about whether or not the ASG was a meritocracy.

This selection obviously answers that question......though Wyshinski spent a fair amount of time talking about the selections of Fleury and James Neal as being a concession to Pens (and Preds) fans. As I recall, Pens fans dropped Neal before they went to bed the night he kneed Rat Marchand in the head which greased the skids for his exit from town.

Maybe......and I admit I haven't listened to Madden for a long time.....but I myself wouldn't put too much stock into what he says on this particular issue. Meanwhile, I don't think the Pens have the raw assets to make any kind of truly impactful deal right now. I believe GMJR will keep Ian Cole on the block, but I don't think he'll deal Cole just to deal him.

lets start with letang, obviously the 3 on 3 favors his style so maybe there will be some empty space for when he inevitably put the puck into it.

fluery played 14 games this year, I would have rather seen the local kid gibson instead of fluery. pens fans are idiots if that's the reason why he's in the game.

and on to madden, he's a lot of things but he's pretty good when it comes to the pens. I'd believe that teams are asking the pens to overpay a little easier than they are black balling them.... so to speak.

edit: james neal, I love the guy but I guess he was a little to "r" rated for the "pg" pens.

lets start with letang, obviously the 3 on 3 favors his style so maybe there will be some empty space for when he inevitably put the puck into it.

fluery played 14 games this year, I would have rather seen the local kid gibson instead of fluery. pens fans are idiots if that's the reason why he's in the game.

and on to madden, he's a lot of things but he's pretty good when it comes to the pens. I'd believe that teams are asking the pens to overpay a little easier than they are black balling them.... so to speak.

edit: james neal, I love the guy but I guess he was a little to "r" rated for the "pg" pens.

Just to clarify, this was Greg Wyshinski saying the selections were made to placate Pens fans.....which I myself think is one of the dumber things he's ever said. He's a Jersey guy, and hates the Pens every bit as much as everyone else from Greater NYC; but even he's never been this blatant. He almost sounds like a Rangers fans.....

Meanwhile, why wouldn't it shock me if Sid all of a sudden came up with a mysterious injury of some type, and Kessel becomes his ASG replacement. Something tells me Sid wants to play in the ASG even less than all those others he's found a way to bypass over the years.

Just to clarify, this was Greg Wyshinski saying the selections were made to placate Pens fans.....which I myself think is one of the dumber things he's ever said. He's a Jersey guy, and hates the Pens every bit as much as everyone else from Greater NYC; but even he's never been this blatant. He almost sounds like a Rangers fans.....

Meanwhile, why wouldn't it shock me if Sid all of a sudden came up with a mysterious injury of some type, and Kessel becomes his ASG replacement. Something tells me Sid wants to play in the ASG even less than all those others he's found a way to bypass over the years.

I agree, no way does sid want to play in this game. I bet phil doesn't either and is really happy that he got "snubbed"

as for wyshinski, I think he's on to something.

Fairly nice performance this afternoon versus the Dead Wings......can they keep the streak going tomorrow night against the NYR ??

I missed the game because we played shinny and had party on the mill pond all day.

I sure hope the pens keep it going.

looks like geno was on fire. huge game tomorrow.

I missed the game because we played shinny and had party on the mill pond all day.

I sure hope the pens keep it going.

looks like geno was on fire. huge game tomorrow.

Malkin WAS dangerous; in fact, he (and just about everyone else in the house) thought he had the HT on a point-blanker later in the 3rd on which Howard made the save. He followed up by self-moaning afterward (well, for a second) while the puck was headed back up ice the other direction.

I just re-read this post, and am inclined to agree (in at least some part) with your assessment.

you're coming around nicely. lol

there's no doubt in my mind that what that was with his "injury."

if anything this pens organization caters to its stars too much.

Something just occurred to me this afternoon, though perhaps it's been a common topic of discussion on Pittsburgh sports talk (if not online).

It's obviously been widely reported that Murray has gone home......unofficially, for his mother's funeral, from what I've read. If that's the case, it's hard not to wonder (or perhaps assume) that if she's been in bad shape, he's probably been preoccupied with her declining condition over the past few months. Which WOULD seem to represent some reasonable explanation for his disappointingly middling first half of the season.

My sympathies are certainly with the kid; and I emphasize the word KID. But if this is now his first opportunity to officially put this difficult time behind him.....though obviously nobody knows how long that'll take.....perhaps we'll start seeing the Matt Murray of "old" hopefully before too terribly long.

how the fvck is carl hagelin still an nhl player?

he may not be good enough for sweeden's olympic team now.

Something just occurred to me this afternoon, though perhaps it's been a common topic of discussion on Pittsburgh sports talk (if not online).

It's obviously been widely reported that Murray has gone home......unofficially, for his mother's funeral, from what I've read. If that's the case, it's hard not to wonder (or perhaps assume) that if she's been in bad shape, he's probably been preoccupied with her declining condition over the past few months. Which WOULD seem to represent some reasonable explanation for his disappointingly middling first half of the season.

My sympathies are certainly with the kid; and I emphasize the word KID. But if this is now his first opportunity to officially put this difficult time behind him.....though obviously nobody knows how long that'll take.....perhaps we'll start seeing the Matt Murray of "old" hopefully before too terribly long.
Um...wow...did not hear that she was sick nor had passed? If so, I imagine it's hit that T Bay community hard. Feel terrible for the guy.... She is the reason for that Dutch flag we all see on the back of his mask. And from what I hear the Murray's are a fixture in the community over the years. No secret I like the guy for more than one reason and will do my best to excuse the bad goal when it happens...I guess if so there's plenty of reason to explain his rough start this year. Hopeful he can come back from this with the same even keel ice in viens attitude I have seen in the past. You have a link CM? Just asked my Auntie if they had heard anything of it....and nothing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT