ADVERTISEMENT

Pens - - JAN 2018

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Coming off the laugh-fest last night in Detroit, I figured we all needed to put last month to bed as quickly as possible with the new monthly thread. Unfortunately, this is the same shitty team today as it was 12 hours ago. Meanwhile, this morning's PG highlighted the latest list of miserable stats:

--Crosby 1 goal in his last 9 games
--Kessel 1 goal in his last 8 games
--Guentzel 1 goal in his last 13 games
--Sheary 1 goal in his last 11 games

That's 4 goals from these guys in a combined 41 man-games. With all my own bitching about goaltending.......and everyone's bitching about defensive play......I don't know WHO this team can beat with this level of "production" from a full 2/3 of the team's top goal scorers.

its pretty obvious at this point, they are just going through the motions with a lot of aspects in their game. maybe they just don't have that drive this year.

I'd try to play some of the guys they just called up to see if they put a little life into the team.

Reactions: torontoeers
Well Simon is back apparently again, so maybe that ignites something...I'll take just about any change at this point. Kid will probably travel the PA turnpike about a dozen times by March it seems! And I see a D man has gone down so what does that mean? Is Schultzie ready or... uh oh @Irwineer2 ?!?
The last two seasons, hell even the last 3 or 4 this team seemed to just turn it on whenever the hell they wanted, which frankly drove me bananas at times, but I have seen NONE of that mojo this year, not a lick...geez I'd love to see any bit of that this season...
Philly waxes the lads tonight and won't that be just grand...here's hoping at least one or two of em wake the F up...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Well Simon is back apparently again, so maybe that ignites something...I'll take just about any change at this point. Kid will probably travel the PA turnpike about a dozen times by March it seems! And I see a D man has gone down so what does that mean? Is Schultzie ready or... uh oh @Irwineer2 ?!?
The last two seasons, hell even the last 3 or 4 this team seemed to just turn it on whenever the hell they wanted, which frankly drove me bananas at times, but I have seen NONE of that mojo this year, not a lick...geez I'd love to see any bit of that this season...
Philly waxes the lads tonight and won't that be just grand...here's hoping at least one or two of em wake the F up...

well there's your answer.

After the team laid that extended homestand egg a couple weeks ago, I finally (though regrettably) realized this team just might not have what it takes to make one of those 8 wins in 10 games advances we've come to rely upon the past several seasons.

I don't like admitting that. But if this team (along with their basic problems regarding overall quality of play on the ice) has finally hit the physical wall.....which I myself believe is Sid's problem, along with others like Horndog and Dumoulin.....maybe they're better off tanking and starting the slow rebuild this year. I wouldn't mind them trying to manuever into Top 10 of the Draft for the first time since (I think) Geno came across.

Anyway, I heard over the weekend that both Letang and Schultz might be back by next week, so that's a good sign. But I also read Jason Mackey's perspective in today PG that said.....in so many words.....if the Pens are to truly turn things around, it's going to have to start in goal (where the team has the most room for internal improvement).

As you might expect, I happen to agree with that assessment.

After the team laid that extended homestand egg a couple weeks ago, I finally (though regrettably) realized this team just might not have what it takes to make one of those 8 wins in 10 games advances we've come to rely upon the past several seasons.

I don't like admitting that. But if this team (along with their basic problems regarding overall quality of play on the ice) has finally hit the physical wall.....which I myself believe is Sid's problem, along with others like Horndog and Dumoulin.....maybe they're better off tanking and starting the slow rebuild this year. I wouldn't mind them trying to manuever into Top 10 of the Draft for the first time since (I think) Geno came across.

Anyway, I heard over the weekend that both Letang and Schultz might be back by next week, so that's a good sign. But I also read Jason Mackey's perspective in today PG that said.....in so many words.....if the Pens are to truly turn things around, it's going to have to start in goal (where the team has the most room for internal improvement).

As you might expect, I happen to agree with that assessment.

jordan staal in 06 over toews.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Why is Jarry in net tonight?

Murray benched after his meh last two starts.

Meanwhile, I loved that little dance between Simmonds and Reaves in front of the Pens goal......Simmonds with the head lock, while Reaves jams the smelly palm right under his shield. And to end it, they both just casually skate away like neither has anything to prove.....and they don't.

Murray benched after his meh last two starts.

Meanwhile, I loved that little dance between Simmonds and Reaves in front of the Pens goal......Simmonds with the head lock, while Reaves jams the smelly palm right under his shield. And to end it, they both just casually skate away like neither has anything to prove.....and they don't.
I figured he was out with a strained puss muscle.

just put letang on the dam wing if this organization is determined to keep playing him.

Not sure what the hell happened...I stepped away...anyone?

I got a look at his arm after posting that, sure looked like it to me. had some scrapes above his thumb on his hand and then higher up on the front side of his wrist. sure looked like skate got him to me.

I got a look at his arm after posting that, sure looked like it to me. had some scrapes above his thumb on his hand and then higher up on the front side of his wrist. sure looked like skate got him to me.
Yikes...not sure they need that with another breakable goalie in there now...

BTW...Do you fellas get this Enterprise commercial I see up here all the time, and during this broadcast? It's Marty Brodeur shilling for them and in a lot of the spot he's in a Devils jersey. I wouldn't find it odd, however as the Asst GM of the Blues? I imagine they had to sign off on that in some manner??? Just curious...

BTW...Do you fellas get this Enterprise commercial I see up here all the time, and during this broadcast? It's Marty Brodeur shilling for them and in a lot of the spot he's in a Devils jersey. I wouldn't find it odd, however as the Asst GM of the Blues? I imagine they had to sign off on that in some manner??? Just curious...

just saw ol frenchy.

edit:

he's probably still got 5 guys standing in front of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoeers
Well...not that I expect it every night but I imagine this edition of Reaves is exactly whom GMJR thought he was getting...just the type of performance they needed against these asshats. Hoping it continues for awhile...and at least a few of the big guns showed. Hopeful Dumo and Jarry are minor injuries. And thanks MM for not blowing up when needed...I'll take it for now, it's a good start to 2018. Go out and whup the Canes next!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT