ADVERTISEMENT

Pens - - JAN 2018

If Staal didn't have the work ethic of a sloth he could have been a star. He saw his bit brother Eric stealing money from the Canes by coasting and decided to choose that path.

Now i have heard it all from pens fans.

This was a monumental screw up that no one talks about

no. taking staal instead of toews. why do I need to explain this
Oh I dunno...cause of the first sentence in your previous post? Yes it was an error in hindsight however it's not an exact science. FYI and you'll LOVE this tidbit...he played for my local boys the Petes in Junior A , I have his Petes jersey, and I was ecstatic the day the Pens drafted him. He was an absolute BEAST in Junior. And MANY said better than Eric. I do not fault them for taking him...is he floating by now? You bet he is...and I doubt anything will re-ignite his career to it's short lived early level...and yes as OM1 mentioned it's the work ethic with Jordan, he could be twice the player that he is today. If you were my nieghbor you'd likely wax poetic over the fence at me about how Toews should be Team Canada Captain over Sid, amirite? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh I dunno...cause of the first sentence in your previous post? Yes it was an error in hindsight however it's not an exact science. FYI and you'll LOVE this tidbit...he played for my local boys the Petes in Junior A , I have his Petes jersey, and I was ecstatic the day the Pens drafted him. He was an absolute BEAST in Junior. And MANY said better than Eric. I do not fault them for taking him...is he floating by now? You bet he is...and I doubt anything will re-ignite his career to it's short lived early level...and yes as OM1 mentioned it's the work ethic with Jordan, he could be twice the player that he is today. If you were my nieghbor you'd likely wax poetic over the fence at me about how Toews should be Team Canada Captain over Sid, amirite? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

toews isn't half the player sid is, but he's been clutch as hell. and lets be real, right up until february of 2016 you could have made a serious argument for toews.

I thought it was a mistake in 06 to take staal instead of toews obviously. interesting to wonder if chicago could repeat their level of success.

toews isn't half the player sid is, but he's been clutch as hell. and lets be real, right up until february of 2016 you could have made a serious argument for toews.

I thought it was a mistake in 06 to take staal instead of toews obviously. interesting to wonder if chicago could repeat their level of success.
Yes...I've heard the argument over the years and usually ends in a few guffaws. It's usually the Sid haters that present it too...given Sid isn't perfect but all he has ever done is WIN. Yep it was a mistake but one I understand (of course I am biased here a bit for the local kid), man is he a shell of his former self now.... I don't think they win jack without BOTH Toews and Kane...maybe even that miserable SOB Keith too...

Reactions: Irwineer2
Yes...I've heard the argument over the years and usually ends in a few guffaws. It's usually the Sid haters that present it too...given Sid isn't perfect but all he has ever done is WIN. Yep it was a mistake but one I understand (of course I am biased here a bit for the local kid), man is he a shell of his former self now.... I don't think they win jack without BOTH Toews and Kane...maybe even that miserable SOB Keith too...

and how many do the pens win with toews, crosby and malkin?

Oh definitely, I hear ya...man...the true dynasty we are currently seeking and likely failing at it seems....need a serious shakeup or gasp... firesale if they don't go on a tear here soon...don't see that happening so.............

honestly I have thought that since the 2012 meltdown against the flyers and then the next year against boston.

crazy they found a way to win 2 cups with these core pieces since. how many hockey towns would have kept that core together, year after year after year, only to catch lightning in a bottle in february of year 7. crazy to think about.

I have been the biggest critic of most of the core in the time between and look like a butthole now.

Reactions: torontoeers
honestly I have thought that since the 2012 meltdown against the flyers and then the next year against boston.

crazy they found a way to win 2 cups with these core pieces since. how many hockey towns would have kept that core together, year after year after year, only to catch lightning in a bottle in february of year 7. crazy to think about.

I have been the biggest critic of most of the core in the time between and look like a butthole now.
You're not alone...I pretty much gave em up for dead last year nevermind thinking they needed to get much tougher a few years back. Happily I was dead wrong, apparently they needed to get faster....and I honestly can't say enough about that coaching change. A stroke of genius at the time...I'm hopeful he can find the right buttons to push again in this second half, and more importantly the team wants to participate...

You're not alone...I pretty much gave em up for dead last year nevermind thinking they needed to get much tougher a few years back. Happily I was dead wrong, apparently they needed to get faster....and I honestly can't say enough about that coaching change. A stroke of genius at the time...I'm hopeful he can find the right buttons to push again in this second half, and more importantly the team wants to participate...

they desperately need another center.

but I have always hated 58.

Lol...oh I know re 58! 3rd C is huge right now...I actually think they miss Cullen even more than Bonino, ah hell both...but Cullen, a heart of a horse out there.
Oh and that Wings broadcast crew kept harping on about Sheahan the other night (no surprise), and his +/-...I don't give a shit about that, it's the jam in his game, and he doesn't compare unfortunately.

no. taking staal instead of toews. why do I need to explain this

Staal was a tremendous 2-way center his first few years. He could dominate a game as a third line center early in his career. I loved him until he quit working. Should have been a star. I never said he was a better choice than Toews but I don't fault the pick.

Are any of you fellas watching this edition of the World Juniors from Buffalo? People are pretty much locked into it as usual up here this year. Both Canada and US are down to the semi-finals and It'll be interesting to see if both have a rematch in the final on a proper sheet of ice rather than imo this outdoor nonsense....I'm hopeful if it comes to fruition that we get a fast paced game free of the extra curricular crap I witnessed in the first tilt. Both teams seem to be playing a rather vicious dirty brand of hockey. Not sure if it's because many of these guys are rivals and know each other in their respective CHL and NCAA leagues, but I'd like to think they have more respect for one another...I'd rather see this cheap shot shit reserved for the Russians if anything...just play the damned game already.

I didn't know you in those days.....I don't know you now......and frankly, I'm not interested in knowing you anytime in the immediate future based on your nonstop "there's always somebody to blame" smartass attitude that put weblogs on the map.

That said.....assuming you actually followed the 2006 Draft..... it's absolutely bullshit when you say you thought it was a mistake drafting Staal over Toews. That's because absolutely nobody in the business though Toews was a better prospect than a 6-4 center with his kind of family pedigree (though there's no question Toews was the consensus #3 guy).

I guess you missed the world juniors that year. hell, you probably aren't even watching the tourney now.

Are any of you fellas watching this edition of the World Juniors from Buffalo? People are pretty much locked into it as usual up here this year. Both Canada and US are down to the semi-finals and It'll be interesting to see if both have a rematch in the final on a proper sheet of ice rather than imo this outdoor nonsense....I'm hopeful if it comes to fruition that we get a fast paced game free of the extra curricular crap I witnessed in the first tilt. Both teams seem to be playing a rather vicious dirty brand of hockey. Not sure if it's because many of these guys are rivals and know each other in their respective CHL and NCAA leagues, but I'd like to think they have more respect for one another...I'd rather see this cheap shot shit reserved for the Russians if anything...just play the damned game already.

of course I'm watching it. my hockey experience goes far beyond the penguins.

Really ?? It doesn't show.....

I guess you missed the world juniors that year. hell, you probably aren't even watching the tourney now.

That's is correct regarding 2006.....I did follow the 2017 WJC, but admittedly haven't turned it on this year at all.

of course I'm watching it. my hockey experience goes far beyond the penguins.

Wow.....

that dman for sweeden dahlin is a beast. worth watching today for sure coolman.

ps boys the swedes goalie that is stoning the usa right now is a penguins prospect. [winking]

I like our energy so far tonight. We are flying around and chipping bodies.
Just tuning in and will be flipping like a madman...my boys vs Czechs tonight in WJC...and my condolences gents re: the Sweden loss...I got home late what the hell happened @Irwineer2 ? Not cool...I was looking forward to a Can/US final. That arena would have been electric. F#$K!!!

Just tuning in and will be flipping like a madman...my boys vs Czechs tonight in WJC...and my condolences gents re: the Sweden loss...I got home late what the hell happened @Irwineer2 ? Not cool...I was looking forward to a Can/US final. That arena would have been electric. F#$K!!!

would have been fun to whoop you sissies again this year.

sweeden's goalie was a beast, penguins draft pick filip gustavson

PS boys, school cancelled tomorrow. I'll be on the mill pond for a couple one hour shifts between some beers for lunch.

would have been fun to whoop you sissies again this year.

sweeden's goalie was a beast, penguins draft pick filip gustavson
From what I have heard he is just that...a beast, excellent. Swedes I have heard are actually big and fast...not sure I'm looking forward to that matchup (if we beat this suddenly resurgent Czech team ), especially vs a hot goalie when ours frankly makes me nervous....
In all honesty when was the last time we saw the Czechs do ANYTHING? They always used to be in the mix and over the last 10 years the Swedes and Finns have left em in the dust. Maybe they needed the few Slovaks to round it out from the iron curtain days...
And 1-zip Czechs...weak glove on you Carter Hart! :frown:

Lucky you...-25 Celsius here tomorrow (whats that bout -5 F or so?) and I'm working outside for at least half the day. Enjoy.
stay warm man. its going to be pretty cold here tomorrow too but I just can't miss the opportunity to skate outside. we didn't have any ice last year.

BTW gents Feb 3 is my Pond Hockey tourney day here on my lake this year. I'm really hoping it's a bit warmer than this deep freeze of late or I may just stay at the brewpub lol. Team Mountaineers will participate again. We will NOT win but we WILL compete this I assure you...I have a ringer or 2 on the team..Pic from last year and will post a few more after the event happens! ....there...fixed the image link lol
JjI2kT.jpg

poJjI2kTj

Last edited:
welp, pens chances of making the playoffs keep going down and down and down.

tomorrow becomes almost a must win on january 5. crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT