ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2020

Pageau to the Isles for a 1st, 2nd and a conditional 3rd which will never happen but wow! These prices are high! The Sens now own 9 of the top 90 someodd picks in this years draft???

Man, pretty steep for a pure rental that has never even scared 50 points (but who I think it a pretty solid guy). But the Isles have stockpiled enough picks; time for them to begin stepping up in the short term. Would think they'd have a decent chance to sign him long term IF he's interested to play in Long Island.

Absolutely everyone in the Metro is swinging for the fences......and NHLN Radio is now saying the Blojax are chasing Athanasiou.

Man, pretty steep for a pure rental that has never even scared 50 points (but who I think it a pretty solid guy). But the Isles have stockpiled enough picks; time for them to begin stepping up in the short term. Would think they'd have a decent chance to sign him long term IF he's interested to play in Long Island.

NHLN is saying the Isles are already working on an extension with Pageau......must have indicated up front he was amenable in order for St Lou to trade that many assets.

Simmonds to the Sabres for a pick.....Devils retain 50% of his salary.

Given a choice, would you have rather had Kovalchuk, Marleau, or Simmonds....assuming a similar price.....for the rest of this season ?? I myself am no more or less content with Marleau than the others.

Reactions: torontoeers
Simmonds to the Sabres for a pick.....Devils retain 50% of his salary.

Given a choice, would you have rather had Kovalchuk, Marleau, or Simmonds....assuming a similar price.....for the rest of this season ?? I myself am no more or less content with Marleau than the others.
Gimmie Simmonds all day long. Although he is busted up, he at least provides some pushback. And he ...well up till this year anyway scores from the dirty areas.
As per Marleau, take this for what it's worth...Leaves fans could not wait to ship him out the door. Constant texts received on how useless he was. Especially in the playoffs. Now whether that is a reflection on how that team is built or not I dont know. I am hearing he still has legs as well. He better or else it imo is a total dud...I guess I better go calm down now and quit the espresso...

Reactions: Irwineer2
Gimmie Simmonds all day long. Although he is busted up, he at least provides some pushback. And he ...well up till this year anyway scores from the dirty areas.
As per Marleau, take this for what it's worth...Leaves fans could not wait to ship him out the door. Constant texts received on how useless he was. Especially in the playoffs. Now whether that is a reflection on how that team is built or not I dont know. I am hearing he still has legs as well. He better or else it imo is a total dud...I guess I better go calm down now and quit the espresso...

Been thinking that, after so many years in Philly, it's possible Simmonds didn't want to play with the Pens. Meanwhile, it's not like Marleau is going to play a regular shift in the Top 6......though I assume he'll get time with the 2nd PP unit. I'd be surprised if he plays much more than maybe 12-13 minutes/game

Back to Simmonds for a second, it sure appears to me as though Boterrill believes their win in PIttsburgh has jump-started his team. Might be worth keeping an eye on Buffalo the next week or so to see if he's right.

Now reading the Isles are working on a deal for Zach Parise......

Been thinking that, after so many years in Philly, it's possible Simmonds didn't want to play with the Pens. Meanwhile, it's not like Marleau is going to play a regular shift in the Top 6......though I assume he'll get time with the 2nd PP unit. I'd be surprised if he plays much more than maybe 12-13 minutes/game

Back to Simmonds for a second, it sure appears to me as though Boterrill believes their win in PIttsburgh has jump-started his team. Might be worth keeping an eye on Buffalo the next week or so to see if he's right.

This is A LOT of $$$ if they land Parise now that they signed Pageau at 5 per for 6 years! If they do both they certainly got better, but are they good enough? Wow.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues from Buffalo for Dom Kahun.....Sheary a UFA, Rodrigues and Kahun are both RFA's.

Last edited:
Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues from Buffalo for Dom Kahun.....Sheary a UFA, Rodrigues and Kahun are both RFA's.

I know nothing about Rodrigues beyond that he's.....according to Boomer Gordon on NHLN Radio......an analytics darling. I have to believe Sheary is fairly happy coming back; and might well be the best of the three additions of the day.

I like this deal now that I hear the plan is to finally put McCann back to 3rd line C with Tanev/Marleau and Blue will play 4th with Sheary. As per TSN panel....

I myself like Teddy and Tanev together......but won't argue with what those who know more than yours truly are saying.

Meanwhile, heard one perspective on the Trocheck deal; evidently there are some who believe Quenneville had his fill with Trocheck, and decided he couldn't win with him. OTOH, maybe JQ's style of play didn't fit with Vinnie's, and he wanted to move. What does surprise me, however, is that I distinctly recall Trocheck saying he loved playing in Florida when he signed there long term.

Will be interested to see how he fits in Raleigh.

DK reporting the Pens are now over the cap, meaning it's therefore now assumed Jake will be placed on LTIR.

I myself like Teddy and Tanev together......but won't argue with what those who know more than yours truly are saying.

Meanwhile, heard one perspective on the Trocheck deal; evidently there are some who believe Quenneville had his fill with Trocheck, and decided he couldn't win with him. OTOH, maybe JQ's style of play didn't fit with Vinnie's, and he wanted to move. What does surprise me, however, is that I distinctly recall Trocheck saying he loved playing in Florida when he signed there long term.

Will be interested to see how he fits in Raleigh.
Ya for sure, I like that combo too...the good thing is it gives some flexibility for Sully to play with...well I suspect that is it for today?

Ya for sure, I like that combo too...the good thing is it gives some flexibility for Sully to play with...well I suspect that is it for today?

Hard to imagine anything more......GMJR was said to be furious at his forward group after the loss to Buffalo (which didn't havce anything to do with a deactivated Kahun). Will be very interesting to see how these additions shake-up the lineup.

Easy to see the story with Marleau and Sheary......not so much with Rodrigues (who, I read, asked for a trade earlier this year after the Sabres brought in Ralph Krueger as HC).

Hmmm...Lehner...they feel Flower needs a push?

From a distance, I believe MAF was viewed to have deteriorated quite a bit this year......and for that reason, some new face was thought to be in the cards since they're not ready to rely on Subban. Lehner is a FA anyway; and I don't get the impression at this point the Hawks want to sign him long-term anyway.

Could end up being one of the more notable acquistions of the day......

From everything I can tell, HCMS has no interest whatsover in size/pushback......he's 100% committed to a hard work/pure speed game; understandable enough, perhaps, having won 2 rings with that style.
I can't argue with that whatsoever....however if one of the Wilson, Dubinsky, Jenner, whomever that Bolts pinhead's name is I am forgetting, maims one of our stars, or they get ground up collective like last 2 years? That's a cryin shame...I'll be cautiously optimistic this year I guess...as you say it's definitely worked before...

Speaking of size...I'm trying to figure out where Bjugs fits into this lineup...although I've always been wondering that it seems. I guess Sully has more flexibility with the deals today and possible returning bodies if anything...wouldn't surprise me if his destination becomes the press box full time...

I can't argue with that whatsoever....however if one of the Wilson, Dubinsky, Jenner, whomever that Bolts pinhead's name is I am forgetting, maims one of our stars, or they get ground up collective like last 2 years? That's a cryin shame...I'll be cautiously optimistic this year I guess...as you say it's definitely worked before...

CERMAK........anyway, same issues that have been in place largely since they started winning Cups. Clearly, Sully believes this team's best bet is to outskate the opposition rather than outhit/outphysical them.

Speaking of size...I'm trying to figure out where Bjugs fits into this lineup...although I've always been wondering that it seems. I guess Sully has more flexibility with the deals today and possible returning bodies if anything...wouldn't surprise me if his destination becomes the press box full time...

I suspect they want Tricky to play this season, though he's probably not as important today as when we awoke this morning (as I'm guessing that, for good or bad, Marleau will get some bottom 6 time at center). Of course, Tricky is tall but isn't hitting anyone; meanwhile, let's also remember that Marleau will be long gone next season.

While he's obviously staying with the team the rest of this season, I personally think Tricky will be traded this summer.....especially if McCann indeed plays center the rest of the season and shows well. Today might also quietly indicate that his return this season from the surgery is in no way assured.

pussies.

Evidently, the Wild and Isles could not make this happen......my own opinion is the Isles got lucky.

Not saying they couldn't use Parise, and I think he's still a pretty good forward. But I also think he remains wildly overpaid; not to mention that too many of their players (like Barzal) are looking for new deals......and that's not including the new Pageau contract.

Meanwhile, guess who the Craps traded for in a late minor deal; none other than Danny Sprong. As was the case when they traded for Hagelin, they're still out there doing whatever they can to try and get under the Pens' skin......on and off the ice.

Last edited:
FWIW, Matt Barnaby......and my opinion may mean just about as much...... on NHLN thinks two teams get an A+ for their deals; Carolina and the Pens (including Zucker).

FWIW, Matt Barnaby......and my opinion may mean just about as much...... on NHLN thinks two teams get an A+ for their deals; Carolina and the Pens (including Zucker).
I'm either one of the few or maybe the many who often like Barnaby's take about on ice stuff, or the stories he provides, so I guess that's a plus in some respect...what he knows about deadline deals I have no idea.

Reactions: COOL MAN
I'm either one of the few or maybe the many who often like Barnaby's take about on ice stuff, or the stories he provides, so I guess that's a plus in some respect...what he knows about deadline deals I have no idea.

its been awhile since barnaby kicked in beadle's garage door.

The Marleau one I'm still not sold on...let's hope he proves us wrong. It's also plain to see Zucker was our splash this year. Hopefully he keeps up the good work too...

I just don't like them moving kahun. I guess they know better than i do. but what is sheary going to really give?

I just don't see marleau staying with this team. if we are going to get slower, lets at least get tougher.

He thinks Sheary is a great pickup for the Pens, and likes equally (if not more) the Sabres acquistiion of Kahun.

Meanwhile, he's been bitching and moaning since coming on the air about the Simmonds acquisition by Buffalo. Best he can come up with is that it shows the team (at a bargain basement price) that ownership is willing to make even a short-term commitment (of some type) to improving the team.

He thinks Sheary is a great pickup for the Pens, and likes equally (if not more) the Sabres acquistiion of Kahun.

Meanwhile, he's been bitching and moaning since coming on the air about the Simmonds acquisition by Buffalo. Best he can come up with is that it shows the team (at a bargain basement price) that ownership is willing to make even a short-term commitment (of some type) to improving the team.

I'd have rather had simmons than any of the guys the pens added today. fwiw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT