ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2020

I'd have rather had simmons than any of the guys the pens added today. fwiw.
I can't disagree on the whole...I didn't really want him in what seems to be a diminished state. 2 or 3 years ago sign me the F up. He was so good in the middle of the ice/front of net both scoring and as a shit disturber...I woulda been curious at least to see what he brought.

Reactions: Irwineer2
I can't disagree on the whole...I didn't really want him in what seems to be a diminished state. 2 or 3 years ago sign me the F up. He was so good in the middle of the ice/front of net both scoring and as a shit disturber...I woulda been curious at least to see what he brought.

none of these new guys excite me that much and now I have to root for a guy named "evan"

Reactions: torontoeers
I read that Simon is giving up #12 to Marleau, and will switch to #18.
Further to this numbers scenario...some whiners in this oft idiot fanbase are all out of sorts because Rodrigues gets #9 ...OMG! THATS DUPERS NUMBER IT SHOULD BE RETIRED!!!???!!! Correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't that Ronnie Francis digit for a while? I'd argue he wore it pretty damn well too, especially filling in admirably when 66 was hurt. If they retired numbers for very good players there would be none left...SMFH.

Reactions: COOL MAN
He thinks Sheary is a great pickup for the Pens, and likes equally (if not more) the Sabres acquistiion of Kahun.

Meanwhile, he's been bitching and moaning since coming on the air about the Simmonds acquisition by Buffalo. Best he can come up with is that it shows the team (at a bargain basement price) that ownership is willing to make even a short-term commitment (of some type) to improving the team.

sheary.....doesn’t hit. Doesn’t score much. Not a great anything but he skates fast.

Further to this numbers scenario...some whiners in this oft idiot fanbase are all out of sorts because Rodrigues gets #9 ...OMG! THATS DUPERS NUMBER IT SHOULD BE RETIRED!!!???!!! Correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't that Ronnie Francis digit for a while? I'd argue he wore it pretty damn well too, especially filling in admirably when 66 was hurt. If they retired numbers for very good players there would be none left...SMFH.

francis started as number 9 and later switched to 10.

other number 9's other than that stupid nutella eating frenchy,

tony tanti,
greg johnson
german titov
rene corbet
rico fata

sheary.....doesn’t hit. Doesn’t score much. Not a great anything but he skates fast.

While I wish the kid would NOT have been traded......strictly speaking......how does that description differ much from what (little) we saw actually saw from Kahun ?? FWIW, it occurs to me that Kahun may never have cared for (or adjusted to) Pittsburgh......which I feel, but admittedly can't prove.

I'm also wondering/hoping that Rodrigues......on a new/better roster with a different HC.....will show better than he did in Buffalo.

FWIW, in reading PHN and DK this morning, neither seems especially excited about yesterday's acquisitions. Consensus on Marleau seems to be more it was about his intangibles (and that his cost was low), while the trade with Buffalo was largely viewed more meh than anything else.

Read the following from Mike Harrington's column....a guy who I really like......in the Buffalo News, and he said this about their two trades:.

The talking heads on TSN were baffled about what Botterill was doing Monday but it should have been obvious: He's trying to satisfy the appetite of a starving fan base – and what's probably an edgy ownership – to get this franchise back in the playoffs right now.

Wayne Simmonds brings jam and grit, something the Sabres don't have remotely enough of. He's been in 44 career playoff games, which is 44 more combined than Jack Eichel, Jeff Skinner, Sam Reinhart, Rasmus Ristolainen, Jake McCabe, Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson. ... You get the point.

Dominik Kahun is a versatile forward who is 24. He's a restricted free agent with experience in the 2018 Olympics for Germany. Here's two players who should help you now and then you can decide if you want to keep them in the future.

Neither is a difference-maker but there's still enough to like here on multiple fronts.
The other consensus seems to be the rest of the top of the Metro improved themselves more this trade deadline (or yesterday, at least) than the Pens; though if Zucker establishes himself on the 1st line, I suspect that kind of talk will ease. However, I do think they both feel the Pens road to the Cup this year became a fair amount more difficult yesterday.

FWIW, in reading PHN and DK this morning, neither seems especially excited about yesterday's acquisitions. Consensus on Marleau seems to be more it was about his intangibles (and that his cost was low), while the trade with Buffalo was largely viewed more meh than anything else.

Read the following from Mike Harrington's column....a guy who I really like......in the Buffalo News, and he said this about their two trades:.

The talking heads on TSN were baffled about what Botterill was doing Monday but it should have been obvious: He's trying to satisfy the appetite of a starving fan base – and what's probably an edgy ownership – to get this franchise back in the playoffs right now.

Wayne Simmonds brings jam and grit, something the Sabres don't have remotely enough of. He's been in 44 career playoff games, which is 44 more combined than Jack Eichel, Jeff Skinner, Sam Reinhart, Rasmus Ristolainen, Jake McCabe, Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson. ... You get the point.

Dominik Kahun is a versatile forward who is 24. He's a restricted free agent with experience in the 2018 Olympics for Germany. Here's two players who should help you now and then you can decide if you want to keep them in the future.

Neither is a difference-maker but there's still enough to like here on multiple fronts.
The other consensus seems to be the rest of the top of the Metro improved themselves more this trade deadline (or yesterday, at least) than the Pens; though if Zucker establishes himself on the 1st line, I suspect that kind of talk will ease. However, I do think they both feel the Pens road to the Cup this year became a fair amount more difficult yesterday.
While I would agree with 'them' on the fact the rest of Metro improved yesterday more than the Pens , however as you mention this also hinges on the early (deadline wise) acquisition of Zucker. On the whole I think The Pens did similar to the others activity wise....
I think we all know a lot hinges on Dumo (who's been out so long it will almost seem like a trade once he's back), and Marino. Depth on the backend is gonna be hugely important down the stretch and in the playoffs. IMO they need 8 serviceable D men that can be plugged in due to injury/on ice performance. A guy like Trotman cannot be included in that group. I think Marino should be just fine and pick up where he left off before the injury, it's Dumo I'm awfully concerned about...it's been a long time and seems like a pretty wicked injury to recover from...he has to be at least close to full form on ice in order to succeed
I think the forwards with the depth should be just fine....the goaltending? With improved play in front of them it should also sort itself...
Then again all of my babble here is essentially nothing new or earth shattering, so take it as you will lol...

To be blunt...3 games out West vs a bunch of hot garbage. All three of the Cali clubs just got even weaker over the last few days. Not an especially compressed schedule on this trip, with the days off before tomorrow, and a day in between the back to back in LA/Anaheim. Gotta get 5 points minimum IMO...less than that is not necessarily failure, but it sure doesnt inspire much confidence coming back home vs the Sens and Sabres...can't believe I said that but after the recent performance against Buffalo I think I have to....
Trades happen and the most recent ones were not massive ones imo, so that (we need to adjust or whatever) reasoning for any poor performance over this stretch shouldn't have any validity...

Reactions: WVRON and COOL MAN
With all the forwards this team has now, I recall the one online take I read indicating the team may have felt as though it had run out of string on all the WB/S players having been asked to contribute this season.

It could not hope to move forward this season with entire lines' worth of replacements forced to take the "Blandisi Highway" to Pittsburgh, and playing. In other words, under the assumption there will be more injuries, the expanded group hopefully gives HCMS far greater ability to play a full lineup of reasonably legitimate NHL'ers. And FWIW, I myself think there's at least some legitimacy to this basic notion.

Meanwhile, none of this has anything to do with how quickly Marino and (especially) Dumoulin can/will get back in the lineup.......which is clearly hyper-critical to this team. It's no secret that pricing for defensemen yesterday was more than what they had available......see Brady Skjei.......but it seems to me GMJR would simply have been forced to pay-up if he didn't think both were within vision of returning to the lineup.

I myself am hoping/praying at least one of them is back after their return home from California. Just hope they can get through there with at least the 5 points t mentioned in his earlier post.

I like Marleau trade besides cost but if we somehow win it, that’d be irrelevant. I was thinking a 5th. I figure Marleau could force San Jose hand by saying he only wanted to play for Pens and they would have done right by him just like they would with Thornton if a deal was made for him. I like Marleau, would be cool to get him a Stanley Cup. Maybe something team can rally around, win 1 for Marleau. We have lot of forward depth now. Marino and Dumo should be back within next 2 weeks, probably Dumo sooner. Wouldn’t shock me to see him back for San Jose game on Saturday night. Marino out at least 1 more week until he gets his next doctor visit.

If you didn't read this elsewhere......I think I myself saw this more than one place (beside DK):
  • Tanev - one goal in 16 games
  • McCann - no goals in 15 games
  • Schultz - no points in 20 games

I like Marleau trade besides cost but if we somehow win it, that’d be irrelevant. I was thinking a 5th. I figure Marleau could force San Jose hand by saying he only wanted to play for Pens and they would have done right by him just like they would with Thornton if a deal was made for him. I like Marleau, would be cool to get him a Stanley Cup. Maybe something team can rally around, win 1 for Marleau. We have lot of forward depth now. Marino and Dumo should be back within next 2 weeks, probably Dumo sooner. Wouldn’t shock me to see him back for San Jose game on Saturday night. Marino out at least 1 more week until he gets his next doctor visit.
Dumo and Marino they key IMO.... I see Marleau bouncing around the lineup a bit, likely get a decent amount of pp time...key with him IMO is do not overplay him, especially in the playoffs. The Leaves Babcock made that error last year...

Will the Rangers make the playoffs? A month ago I woulda said no way...they are red hot right now and I assume a lot of it has to do with the goaltending. If they do make it, would be pleasurable to see that King Dick sitting on the bench...EDIT: or preferably in the cage should the good guys play them.

Question for you fellas... who would you be overjoyed to see miss in the East and who would be your darkhorse to make it in, or even make some noise in what is IMO a watered down West?

For myself It's no secret I'd love to see the Leaves clear out their lockers early...next on my list would be the sideshow Bunch of Jerks after all the moves they made...
West darkhorse to make some noise is Vancouver so long as Markstrom is back healthy...to squeak in would be Nashville, as they have too many games in hand on both The Peg and Zona....

Last edited:
Will the Rangers make the playoffs? A month ago I woulda said no way...they are red hot right now and I assume a lot of it has to do with the goaltending. If they do make it, would be pleasurable to see that King Dick sitting on the bench...EDIT: or preferably in the cage should the good guys play them.

Question for you fellas... who would you be overjoyed to see miss in the East and who would be your darkhorse to make it in, or even make some noise in what is IMO a watered down West?

For myself It's no secret I'd love to see the Leaves clear out their lockers early...next on my list would be the sideshow Bunch of Jerks after all the moves they made...
West darkhorse to make some noise is Vancouver so long as Markstrom is back healthy...to squeak in would be Nashville, as they have too many games in hand on both The Peg and Zona....

I know how you feel about the Leaves, t, and it would be cool to see them miss......though I myself doubt that will happen. But assuming the Craps are a lock.....and I'm OK with Carolina.......I'd be perfectly content to see the rest of the Metro get shutout.

Meanwhile, sounds like McCann will miss tonight's game; he left practice yesterday, and the team responded by making Lafferty an emergency call-up (after he'd been sent down to WB/S with Angello on Monday). Lafferty is evidently eligible for the AHL playoffs based on that send-down......and it sounds like defining this recall as an "emergency" matters from that standpoint.

I for one am more excited to see what this guy brings. Buffalo fans seem to really love his work ethic and speed. This may turn out to be a steal boys...

I for one am more excited to see what this guy brings. Buffalo fans seem to really love his work ethic and speed. This may turn out to be a steal boys...

I like the sounds of that and that he can play anywhere...that'll help him stick around. I also hear he is NOT one to turn the puck over. Well that's music to my ears! Lord knows we've got more than one that seem to love doing that at times.... @Irwineer2 will have to swallow his pride and scream aloud 'Yes! Atta boy EVAN!' :smiley:

I like the sounds of that and that he can play anywhere...that'll help him stick around. I also hear he is NOT one to turn the puck over. Well that's music to my ears! Lord knows we've got more than one that seem to love doing that at times....

Fvck Evan

in all seriousness, I hope the guy is the next mcccann.
Didn't you mention this as your drink of choice in another thread? :wink:....but ya, I hope these deals work out in at least some respect...
XTDsyqo.jpg

Something else that is stuck in my craw not just of late but pretty much since this point structure was created...I have no love lost for either the Blojax or Rangers, however...a prime example exists right now of how it is complete bullshit and how the Blojax are playing simply for the point... Blojax 31-20-14 currently, Rangers 34-24-4. Extrapolate it into actual Win -Loss? 31 and 34 vs 34 and 28....Rangers are 4 points behind them? You gotta be kidding me. No other league does this BS system , it's wins or losses period and it needs to be fixed, cause it's an embarrassment. Parody my ass....and I honestly have no idea whether this has benefited us Black and Gold before, haven't delved that far into it over past years...nonetheless fix it cause it's a mess Gary....rant over.

Well...not good enough through one at all...basically some dude Joe Schmo is in net and minimal shots...of to bed unfortunately, or maybe the opposite...
Oh...and this West Coast NBC crew? The WORST I have heard in a helluva long time. What do they do, send the rejects out there for remedial training? Not to mention we apparently all want to hear about Rugby 7's for 5 freakin minutes rather than play by play at start of 2, and then they keep the Brit Rugby player between the benches to yip yap all period? Get the **** outta here with that shit ...seriously, garbage.

Last edited:
Well both my winter teams have officially crashed and burned. WTF has happened to my teams.

I only watched the first period but from what I’ve read it seems we controlled the puck throughout most, got good chances but as has been the case recently we just can’t finish. Unacceptable as there is WAY too much skill on this team.

Dumo and Marino can’t get back soon enough and for the love of all that is holy get JJ off the first pairing Sully!

just watched the extended highlights. not the best game from the little frenchy that everyone loves so much.

He was in the box for the first goal against and did a drive by in front of his own net on their second goal. He was probably just in a hurry to put on his skinny jeans and canvas sneakers back on.

I caught the second half of the 2nd and the 3rd.

They easily won the possession game against an opponent almost totally devoid of NHL talent. Lots of shots, but few really good scoring chances.......really, their single best one of the night (aside the Rusty goal) was a scramble in front of the Kings net in the last 5 seconds. Made the Kings kid goaltender look like a legitimate veteran most of the game. At least the new guys showed reasonably well, though they had nothing to show for the effort. And with all our whining lately about Pettersson, Riikola, and Ruhwedel, JJ had his worst game in some time.

No matter how you slice it, a really bad loss; last night was their night to get well.....lousy opponent, new talent, etc.....and the losing streak continues.

I caught the second half of the 2nd and the 3rd.

They easily won the possession game against an opponent almost totally devoid of NHL talent. Lots of shots, but few really good scoring chances.......really, their single best one of the night (aside the Rusty goal) was a scramble in front of the Kings net in the last 5 seconds. Made the Kings kid goaltender look like a legitimate veteran most of the game. At least the new guys showed reasonably well, though they had nothing to show for the effort. And with all our whining lately about Pettersson, Riikola, and Ruhwedel, JJ had his worst game in some time.

No matter how you slice it, a really bad loss; last night was their night to get well.....lousy opponent, new talent, etc.....and the losing streak continues.
And meanwhile every other team either breathing down their neck or pulling away in front is winning at least half if not more of recent games. That is trouble... surely they have to feel the pressure at this point? Better get their act together damn quick , things can change markedly in the standings when all ya do is put up a whole bunch of zeros...

Reactions: COOL MAN and WVRON
just watched the extended highlights. not the best game from the little frenchy that everyone loves so much.

He was in the box for the first goal against and did a drive by in front of his own net on their second goal. He was probably just in a hurry to put on his skinny jeans and canvas sneakers back on.
These guys simply have to score...and he is a big part of that problem. If he isn't generating O then he's essentially useless IMO

Reactions: Irwineer2 and WVRON
ADVERTISEMENT