ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2020

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Murray was lights out good imo, several stellar saves, he legit stole this one, which doesn't often happen...that's 6 W's in a row, and no matter the competition this bodes well for us. I have no problem seeing either him or Jars in the net down the stretch here.... times are good....

Goaltending currently looks like a Pens strength; so you'e delighted to ride that friggin' horse as long as you can (and no better time for both your goaltenders to begin stepping up). Meanwhile, let's look at the FEB schedule:
  • 6-at TBL
  • 8-at FLA
  • 11-TBL
  • 14-MTL
  • 16-at DET
  • 18-TOR
  • 20-at TOR
  • 22-BUF (1pm)
  • 23-at WAS (Noon)
  • 26-LAK
  • 28-at ANA
  • 29-at SJS

Some good teams this month......and a few not-so-good. That last two weeks of the month has 8 games in 14 days, including a California trip (and two back-to-backers in 8 days). About the best thing I can say is its better than March, which is insane (from what I can tell) for pretty much everyone.

Granted, the League wants the homestretch to be compelling (and brutal), but I myself hate the schedule being so back-loaded in the Division; 14 of 16 are Metro games. And worse, the Pens have FIVE afternoon faceoffs next month.......

Reactions: torontoeers
Goaltending currently looks like a Pens strength; so you'e delighted to ride that friggin' horse as long as you can (and no better time for both your goaltenders to begin stepping up). Meanwhile, let's look at the FEB schedule:
  • 6-at TBL
  • 8-at FLA
  • 11-TBL
  • 14-MTL
  • 16-at DET
  • 18-TOR
  • 20-at TOR
  • 22-BUF (1pm)
  • 23-at WAS (Noon)
  • 26-LAK
  • 28-at ANA
  • 29-at SJS

Some good teams this month......and a few not-so-good. That last two weeks of the month has 8 games in 14 days, including a California trip (and two back-to-backers in 8 days). About the best thing I can say is its better than March, which is insane (from what I can tell) for pretty much everyone.

Granted, the League wants the homestretch to be compelling (and brutal), but I myself hate the schedule being so back-loaded in the Division; 14 of 16 are Metro games. And worse, the Pens have FIVE afternoon faceoffs next month.......
Obviously I'm lasered in on 18th and 20th, and really no matter my opinion of the local team here, that HAS to be at least a split. Their D is horrific so I see 2 high scoring affairs...
Those Cali teams at end of month look juicy and ideally all 3 are W's. The next two in Fla are tough but obviously both winnable. And better beat the majority of those dregs on the rest of sched, as you mention March is in like a lion and we see how it goes out...
5 afternoon games in March? Plus the 4 this month??? F sakes, it's no secret around here that afternoon hockey is for the birds IMO but that's ridiculous, football or no football.
Question...do you guys down there find it as bizarre as the majority up here do to sit down and watch a game in the afternoon??? It is legit unnatural from my personal myopic Canuck perspective. I got $hit to do in the daytime and when it's over with I sit down and watch the freakin game at 7 or 8! Ugh....

During this unfortunate (once again this week) dirth of no Pens hockey, I gotta do something other than look at trade possibilities...
GMJR do all you can to sign this guy, the Coyotes let him slide for some inexplicable reason. I've seen him play a few times last year and this year. Booming shot and fluid skater. He's a late bloomer, and check his numbers ....they are effectively off the charts. Has a shot at over 100 points this year...think of a young Bouwmeester....
Would think a few teams will be in the hunt....
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=185961

Reactions: COOL MAN
PHN reporting that Sammy Poulin has won QMJHL Player of the Week for a second consecutive week. In his last 5 games, he's 10/9/19 including 2 HT's and 5-straight 3 point games. Through 32 games, he's 29/33/62 (versus 29/47/76 in 67 games last season).

PHN reporting that Sammy Poulin has won QMJHL Player of the Week for a second consecutive week. In his last 5 games, he's 10/9/19 including 2 HT's and 5-straight 3 point games. Through 32 games, he's 29/33/62 (versus 29/47/76 in 67 games last season).
Please DO NOT trade this kid GMJR! Or either of the other two top prospects for that matter... find another way...

Hey t, how do your Leaves buddies feel about Jack Campbell ?? Presumably better than the Hutchinson.......but I presume they're POd at Dubas for giving up (just a bit) more than the proverbial puck bag.

Hey t, how do your Leaves buddies feel about Jack Campbell ?? Presumably better than the Hutchinson.......but I presume they're POd at Dubas for giving up (just a bit) more than the proverbial puck bag.
Some feel he is P Roy, (no joke), other more realistic types are simply happy to have anybody but Hutchinson. For some odd reason they are more excited about Clifford....and as to your final query no they aren't PO'd , they all feel they snowed the Kings lol. Of course this myopic point of view is found in spades around here. Try and criticize Harry Potter? They get downright angry/defensive....
If they win their next outing you can rest assured the idiot brigade will be planning the Stanley Cup parade...

PHN says it's Murray tonight.......and nothing from Kingerski (or DK) on a Yuk scratch.

I’m not fluent in frenchy but perhaps something is in the works with AG. As you and I discussed earlier I read a rumor the Pens were working on a AG for Chiasson deal. And you made a good point about the salary differences and clearing more cap space with a trade like this.
Big money out and smaller money in for cap space to get our gun makes sense to me...call Edmonton and tell them how wonderful Galchenyuk is lol!

Reactions: WVRON
TB throwing around its weight pretty good; seems to me they take fair number of chances figuring their size will pretty much always bail them out......and if not, Vasilevskiy will do it.

Meanwhile, can't figure out why the Lightning broadcast is on TWO Center Ice channels tonight, rather than the Pens broadcast getting one.

Forgot to get back to this stat you/ the broadcast just highlighted. This kid is fire! Good to see...

Well...what's the verdict through 2? In my eyes it's not all bad...we are imo obviously due a penalty call, however this PP needs a serious reboot/ wake up call. We know the ability to score is there and we've seen them pot more than a few in 3 before...Murr obviously has to shut the door here on out (I can't fault him really tonight for any of em, but he has to shut it down somehow), and the D needs to get the puck out much quicker. The excuse of the Bolts size I do not buy. They are big and fast, imo we are a bit smaller and fast (albeit a few of em are looking lazy), with slightly more skill. Use that skill. Need a point here tonight.

Scary stat, courtesy of Dave Molinari's piece in DK this morning.......

Since the beginning of the 2018/19 season (135 games), Guins are a shockingly poor 2 for 12 (16.7%) with the 2-man advantage. At the same time, they're 78 for 359 (21.7%) with the conventional 1-man advantage. They were only credited with a single (1) SOG on last night's 5 on 3......which obviously doesn't reflect the post Rusty hit, or Sid's swing-and-miss in that scrum at the goal line.

Meanwhile, the post game assessment on Marino doesn't sound remotely as bad as we might have initially feared (supposedly requiring only stitches). Have no clue if he'll dress in Sunrise tomorrow night.

I gotta admit I was pretty bummed when our heir apparent for the GM chair shuffled off to Buffalo a few years back...I'm not so upset anymore.

A loss to the Wings last night has I imagine turned the heat up significantly. I wonder how long Eichel is gonna tow the company line...they are a dumpster fire yet again this year.

It's gems like this contract that should number the days for Botterill.
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jeff-skinner

Is there a potentially worse contract in the entire league at this point? 44 games and 19 points? That's a disastrous start to a BIG $$$ /term contract. Yikes!

Scary stat, courtesy of Dave Molinari's piece in DK this morning.......

Since the beginning of the 2018/19 season (135 games), Guins are a shockingly poor 2 for 12 (16.7%) with the 2-man advantage. At the same time, they're 78 for 359 (21.7%) with the conventional 1-man advantage. They were only credited with a single (1) SOG on last night's 5 on 3......which obviously doesn't reflect the post Rusty hit, or Sid's swing-and-miss in that scrum at the goal line.

Meanwhile, the post game assessment on Marino doesn't sound remotely as bad as we might have initially feared (supposedly requiring only stitches). Have no clue if he'll dress in Sunrise tomorrow night.
Great news on Marino...dreadful PP...it has to get better somehow. Getting to the middle of the zone would be a good start.

Welp...your pond hockey Mountaineers take the ice tomorrow lads...it's been right around freezing every day here for the last bit, cooling a little this week to give us solid ice. Of course tonight and tomorrow morning is a whopping -30 deg with windchill , that's Fahrenheit btw for you Yanks which funny enough I learned at that level it's -32 Celsius. I guess when you get to that point they say **** IT IT'S DAMN COLD. I am a rather hardened Canuck but not sure we've played in those temps here in past years...Thinking of shaking hands with Captain of 'Team Sausage2' (ya you read that right) at 8.45 bells and inquiring if he wants to saw it off at zeros and head for the local brewery. Oh and it's also 'Hockey Day In Canada' tomorrow, so I guess we have to suck it up and play after all damnit....wish us luck, want 2 of 3 minimum to do the Gold and Blue justice....

Reactions: WVRON and COOL MAN
Welp...your pond hockey Mountaineers take the ice tomorrow lads...it's been right around freezing every day here for the last bit, cooling a little this week to give us solid ice. Of course tonight and tomorrow morning is a whopping -30 deg with windchill , that's Fahrenheit btw for you Yanks which funny enough I learned at that level it's -32 Celsius. I guess when you get to that point they say **** IT IT'S DAMN COLD. I am a rather hardened Canuck but not sure we've played in those temps here in past years...Thinking of shaking hands with Captain of 'Team Sausage2' (ya you read that right) at 8.45 bells and inquiring if he wants to saw it off at zeros and head for the local brewery. Oh and it's also 'Hockey Day In Canada' tomorrow, so I guess we have to suck it up and play after all damnit....wish us luck, want 2 of 3 minimum to do the Gold and Blue justice....

GOOOOOOOOOOO SCUGOG !!!!!!!!!!!

Broken cheek bone in THREE places for Marino......surgery
upcoming, and significant lost time expected. :weary:

I'd say next man up but this one is a bit different, he's been the straw that stirs the drink this year on the back end...

So, what's next......well, full time in the lineup for Riikola, for now at least.

I know there was a fair amount of earlier speculation that GMJR would be looking for D-help, though that's largely taken a backseat since Jake's injury. And while they still need help to offset Jake.....and give that currently joke-PP a goose of some type.....it's hard to imagine any team that feels it's in the Cup conversation managing a Riikola/Ruhwedel pairing full time.

The Marino injury aside.....and that sure feels like an awfully BIG one this morning.....I simply can't see how this team as currently structured can hope to beat teams like BOS, WAS, and TBL in a 7-game series with elites like Jake and Dumo out of the lineup. Maybe Dumo returns at some point.....though that doesn't sound even close to happening yet.....but there's also no guarantee he'll be anywhere near the shutdown guy he was before the injury upon his return.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT