ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2020

PHN saying that GMJR is now looking for a 3rd pairing defenseman.....supposedly out West......supposedly because Ruhwedel and Riikola are thought to have shown better with a veteran partner. JR has already worked with Murray in Anaheim several times in the past, including earlier this season with Gudbranson.

So, imagine that Gudbranson is a guy Kingerski theorizes could actually be back on the Pens radar, possibly along with someone like the Kings' Derek Forbert. Gudbranson, of course, was originally brought in from Vancouver last season as Wilson-repellent; something potentially useful again with that scumbag clearly back on the prowl for Penguins again after last Sunday.

Reactions: torontoeers
Nice to be up 2-0, sad to be forced to listen to this squeaker on the Panthers PbP mic.....:weary:

Well Your Mountaineers Pond Hockey Game 1 ....22-21 WIN. Game 2 ...24-21 WIN. Game 3 ...27-24 LOSS. ...
2 and 1 on the day am proud of the effort. All 3 teams faced were fast, we were crafty.
Images attached. ...I am the handsome fella on the right last few! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
jCVlxYq.jpg
2xlXwkNr.jpg
Uwyou7nr.jpg
OvFQYygr.jpg

Well Your Mountaineers Pond Hockey Game 1 ....22-21 WIN. Game 2 ...24-21 WIN. Game 3 ...27-24 LOSS. ...
2 and 1 on the day am proud of the effort. All 3 teams faced were fast, we were crafty.
Images attached. ...I am the handsome fella on the right last few! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
jCVlxYq.jpg
2xlXwkNr.jpg
Uwyou7nr.jpg
OvFQYygr.jpg

Sounds like a pretty strong day for Mountaineer North.......since he's not doing anything important on Saturdays anymore, was wondering if Grapes happened to show up for the festivities. :smiley:

Survived a lot of mistakes/turnovers.....a decimated blue line.....and a Florida team that was uber pumped up to play after getting their doors blown off the other night. Maybe got out skated, but Jarry did what you need your goaltender to do in a game like that.

And best of all, I myself won't be forced to deal with Goldie screaming his way through another Panthers game the rest of the season.

Survived a lot of mistakes/turnovers.....a decimated blue line.....and a Florida team that was uber pumped up to play after getting their doors blown off the other night. Maybe got out skated, but Jarry did what you need your goaltender to do in a game like that.

And best of all, I myself won't be forced to deal with Goldie screaming his way through another Panthers game the rest of the season.
Agreed...that was a good win to get in regulation. Let's kick the shit outta Tampa on Tues....

jCVlxYq.jpg
2xlXwkNr.jpg
Uwyou7nr.jpg
OvFQYygr.jpg

well dam, that looks fun.

Hey t, do you play forward or defense......and I can't tell exactly from the one action photo how many of you guys are wearing cages (or visors). But assuming that's up to the individual, it sounds like a lot of personal risk to play as old(er) timers without facial protection.

Also.....and (I think) you know I've never played the game.....do I see there are no goaltenders, and that you're shooting though a board ?? I assume shooting through a slot largely forces everyone to dial back, hence making the game safer for all. Plus, I presume not too many rec players are dying to invest in (or haul around) goalie equipment, new OR used, to begin with.

Hey t, do you play forward or defense......and I can't tell exactly from the one action photo how many of you guys are wearing cages (or visors). But assuming that's up to the individual, it sounds like a lot of personal risk to play as old(er) timers without facial protection.

Also.....and (I think) you know I've never played the game.....do I see there are no goaltenders, and that you're shooting though a board ?? I assume shooting through a slot largely forces everyone to dial back, hence making the game safer for all. Plus, I presume not too many rec players are dying to invest in (or haul around) goalie equipment, new OR used, to begin with.

its called shinny.

It is 3 on 3 and a max of 6 per team. So essentially 2 lines of 3. No real D or Forward positions. In this game you usually circle around changing positioning looking for an opening.

One thing we did come up with to try which seemed to have great success during the first two games was bouncing it off the low boards skating out of our zone any time a player was on their off wing (which happens an awful lot in this tourney with the quick rotation line or player changes), that guy had to turn awkward every time, which bought us MANY 3 on 2 or 3 on 1 opportunities. The last game it worked as well however the opposition's passing was simply too good. Tape to tape every time and with lots of velocity on it.
Ya no goalies in this particular brand of the game, just that low slot about 3 ft by 4 or 5 inches high. And yes the goal is to keep the puck down, although some clowns like the first game really cant seem to control themselves.
I'd estimate about 1/2 of all players go just helmet, another 25% with the half shield like I wear and the rest with the full cage. I guess some just hate the shield cause of the (often) fog ups when it's that cold out. I value my eyesight quite a bit and witness to the fact I actually did get butt ended directly in the shield yesterday, when battling for a puck, so as you can imagine I'm thankful I had it on.

All in all a really good day yesterday. Considering the weather. By the time the 2nd game at 11 came around it felt much warmer. Us mid forties hacks managed to keep up to and beat 2 of 3 teams in their early to mid thirties which is awesome. Pretty damn close to a quarter final appearance as well had we pulled out the last one.
its called shinny.
Yup essentially it is. Lots of teams this year travelling in for it from all over the damn place...many of em seem to run the circuit around Ontario and Quebec/Maritimes. I heard we had one there from New Brunswick yesterday and I think the winner was a team outta Ottawa.

Oh and I'm really not sure how many beers I had yesterday? Between at the brewery and the crew back here at home afterward...I bought 2 24's of extra tall cans and there was ONE left when I got up this morning, so I'm sure I had a hand in a number of them lol.

Reactions: COOL MAN

Oh! And I should mention we did have one young buck my neighbour 28 years old for the last game, after one of our guys went out from a nagging high ankle sprain. He's the gent on far right of team shot.... it really is a miracle he was able to suit up for us. He was in a massive car accident just north of here exactly one year ago to the day yesterday. 3 months in hospital, tons of rehab and surgeries...
Shattered right elbow, several severe breaks in both legs, 14 broken ribs, head split wide open. Was airlifted from the helipad here that night to Downtown T.O.
Can't straighten his right arm fully anymore and is filled with enough titanium to make an F1 racecar. His recovery is remarkable. Back to work as a stone mason full time now. We did not know if he would make it that night, and he was arguably our best player in game #3.

PHN saying that GMJR is now looking for a 3rd pairing defenseman.....supposedly out West......supposedly because Ruhwedel and Riikola are thought to have shown better with a veteran partner. JR has already worked with Murray in Anaheim several times in the past, including earlier this season with Gudbranson.

So, imagine that Gudbranson is a guy Kingerski theorizes could actually be back on the Pens radar, possibly along with someone like the Kings' Derek Forbert. Gudbranson, of course, was originally brought in from Vancouver last season as Wilson-repellent; something potentially useful again with that scumbag clearly back on the prowl for Penguins again after last Sunday.
I didn't mind Gud as a Pen...thought he was a decent 5/6. And the guy can seriously chuck fists with about anyone in the league imo. I also like a D man with that responsibility rather than a forward. You don't compensate skill up front and know you've got a guy that'll stand up to opposition just the same. Although Oleksiak didn't win many fights, he did at least not shy away from engaging in the fisticuffs when warranted. Bring Gud back imo. Opposition needs to know they'll be held accountable if they take liberties with our stars....

I agree with t that Addison and a #1 for Zucker seems like a pretty tall price (while Guerin obviously agreed to just take Yuk off the Pens' hands rather than give up maybe a #3 or #4 pick). Hope Zucker is ready for the pressure he's going to be under to produce, and soon.

In a minor further development, PHN reporting the #1 to Minny could be moved back to 2021 IF the Pens miss the playoffs this year .

thank god galchenyuk is gone.

now they need to reacquire gudbranson.
Yes....and yes I would actually take him back as a 5/6, he wasn't horrible, and could throw a punch if needed.
As for the deal...Pens were never gonna win 3 or 4 years down the road anyway...however It would be nice to see some actual talent on the ice other than Jake. Bonus is I'll be able to score tix then for about 6 bucks with a free hotdog, and nobody will care if I'm in the rink to influence a loss.
Better win this year or next...that'll make it worthwhile imo.

I agree with t that Addison and a #1 for Zucker seems like a pretty tall price (while Guerin obviously agreed to just take Yuk off the Pens' hands rather than give up maybe a #3 or #4 pick). Hope Zucker is ready for the pressure he's going to be under to produce, and soon.
Oh he's gonna feel it alright...let's hope he's up for the task.

Oh he's gonna feel it alright...let's hope he's up for the task.
Zucker is going to feel like a kid waking up on Christmas Day. Go from 1 of worst center groups in NHL (big reason why Minny sucks, no centers) to Sid and Geno. That should give him big boost in the stats department when you got guys like Sid and Geno who can feed you the puck. Dude was scoring 20 + goals with no centers. I can see that number significantly rising especially if he can build chemistry with Sid and/or Geno

Having slept on this overnight, I've decided (mostly, at least) not to dwell that much on the payment and focus on the commodity; a legit Top 6 NHL forward with 3 full seasons of term still in place.

FWIW, I think Peaky makes some very relevant points about Zucker showing better....and potentially much better......in Pittsburgh than St Paul. For those who believe this team is a Cup contender.....and I myself am not 100% sure about that......then it's crystal clear this is a deal which simply had to be made.

I do find myself wondering, however, if GMJR would have offered this to the Rangers for Kreider......though, for a rental, I seriously doubt it (and I think the NYR are hallucinating if they think anyone is going to pay them this kind of price). One has to assume the fact Zucker has so much remaining term was the key factor in what JR was willing to pay.

If Tanev is a recent sign that JR indeed still has the touch, then it's hard not to be enthused with Zucker coming aboard. I do find myself wondering if Schultzie, with Addison no longer part of the equation, now moves back into the team's FA crosshairs this summer.

Meanwhile, I'll be keeping my eyes open for possible future deals between JR and Guerin. Something in the back of my mind tells me they privately agreed this trade (in some manner of speaking) would bias toward Minnesota.....future deals between the teams just might re-bias back to the Pens.

Zucker is going to feel like a kid waking up on Christmas Day. Go from 1 of worst center groups in NHL (big reason why Minny sucks, no centers) to Sid and Geno. That should give him big boost in the stats department when you got guys like Sid and Geno who can feed you the puck. Dude was scoring 20 + goals with no centers. I can see that number significantly rising especially if he can build chemistry with Sid and/or Geno
Oh no doubt. This makes for a better team and GMJR didn't have to affect the existing lineup on ice to any great degree. He should increase those numbers if the chemistry is right, which as you allude to it damnwell should be....the window will close soon so he had to do something. If Marino and Jake are present I think their is no doubt this team is a Stanley Cup fave...without and the addition of Zucker I guess time will tell. I'd like to see one more deal now that he's done this one to really solidify our chances. I was rather bullish on the Addison kid and that aspect still stings a bit to me, but ya gotta give to get....

There's little doubt in my mind this deal would not have happened had Marino not arrived this season to (in essence) "take" the defensive space the team probably expected for Addison in 2020/21.

Meanwhile, I'm 94 miles east of PPG Paints Arena tonight in Altoona PA.....and the the friggin hotel cable has neither AT&T Sportsnet nor NHLN. Guess that means Lange and old 2-9'er are the best I can do tonight......:mad:

There's little doubt in my mind this deal would not have happened had Marino not arrived this season to (in essence) "take" the defensive space the team probably expected for Addison in 2020/21.

Meanwhile, I'm 94 miles east of PPG Paints Arena tonight in Altoona PA.....and the the friggin hotel cable has neither AT&T Sportsnet nor NHLN. Guess that means Lange and old 2-9'er are the best I can do tonight......:mad:
WTF? You're an hour and half outside town...that's nutz.

One aspect I like about this deal...we can now see McCann back at 3rd line C where he imo is more effective, right Sully????
Nope...he's still on the 2nd line wing. This guy can drive his own O...I didn't coach 2 Stanley Cup winning teams, however, it's totally inane this decision. Blue is the perfect 4th line C imo as well, he is better suited there.

I have no clue how Caufield is saying both teams 'vastly defensively improved this year'....you talking bout the goalies Jay? Cause they aren't gonna bail us out forever....our forwards simply have to be more attentive defensively. This first, they aren't. Slow on the Tampa breakout.

Geez these penalties are ridiculous on both sides...can we let them play? '2 minutes for standing in the way!!!!' ....I'm just gonna keep bitching to myself...oh, and there it is. Brilliant

Pretty much nothing to see...night one I don't expect much either... pretty much nothing to see defensively out of your Pens either. Garbage effort.

it a tie game with over half of it left and this is your take? I must have missed some lousy hockey

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT