ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- FEB 2018

So, what's everyone's take on Brassard's final price ?? I'm among those sad.....and realize many don't share this assessment.....that Reaves had to be sacrificed. Of course, I realize he was the ultimate price of the cost retention aspect of the deal, which WAS major.

But my personal guess is that GMJR simply refused to move on players like ZAR, Simon, Dea, and Sprong.....and Reaves was simply the best (while having the highest salary) of what was of interest to VGK. Add to that the apparent reality that HCMS simply never warmed to Reaves and his role (which GMJR clearly saw as more important) and the move was easy to see.

Of course, I don't think anyone (well, outside HCMS) wanted to see Cole leave. Which, IMO, puts Sully's stamp pretty clearly on most everything that happened yesterday. It further proves (which should have been clear to everyone previously) that GMJR will retired and on a beach somewhere when the teardown is ultimately forced to commence several years from now

But for what I WILL credit GMJR is his willingness to do what it takes to execute his plan, and not get bogged down in details (like trading #1 picks) that tend to drive fans nuts. In other words, he decides what needs to be done and simply makes it happen. That's pretty rare in today's NHL where GMs seem more worried about how their deals will be assessed in the media (and by their fanbase).

Of course, the team's current attempt at 3-straight is equally rare. Anyway, there's MY speech.......

Reactions: torontoeers
In a season with too much bad defense (from too many sources) to list, how is that not one but TWO Panthers goals......including the game winner.....resulted from shooters left totally uncovered in front of the Pens goal ?? No way to know if either happens with Cole still on the roster last night, but a game like that certainly leaves ongoing major questions regarding their D's ability to defend their own net with Cole now gone.

I can deal with losing a track meet on the road in the second game of a back-to-backer against a motivated, good playing opponent.....but I'm downright depressed at their inability to salvage a point after that truly professional comeback resulting SOLELY from shitty defense. Unfortunately, Brassard and isn't going to help THAT problem. I wonder if the reality of that miserable defensive performance now forces GMJR to bring in a stay-at-home rental (a la Hainsey) to replace Cole.

Last edited:
Regarding Reaves' move to Vegas.....which I myself still theorize has more to do with him being the best asset GMJR was willing to give up in the deal than anything else. Of course, McPhee is an old timer, so (like GMJR) he might still find more value with an enforcer-type than some of the newer GM's.

In any event, I'm unsure why Reaves is any less valuable to the team today.....though we all know HCMS never warmed to him (or his role).....than he was the day he was traded to the Pens. OTOH, did the team feel they picked up an unanticipated (at beginning of the season) measure of size and physicality in the Oleksiak deal....and who, better yet, plays full-time.....making a part-time Reaves moot/expendable ??

Said another way, is it possible the Reaves deal never happens in the first place had Oleksiak been on the roster one year ago ?? Regardless, it'll be interesting to see if the Wilsons and Dubinskys (who've both been comparatively well-behaved against the Pens this season) of the world revert to old form with Reaves no longer on the bench keeping tabs on them.

v7jLIj.jpg

[roll]

Regarding Reaves' move to Vegas.....which I myself still theorize has more to do with him being the best asset GMJR was willing to give up in the deal than anything else. Of course, McPhee is an old timer, so (like GMJR) he might still find more value with an enforcer-type than some of the newer GM's.

In any event, I'm unsure why Reaves is any less valuable to the team today.....though we all know HCMS never warmed to him (or his role).....than he was the day he was traded to the Pens. OTOH, did the team feel they picked up an unanticipated (at beginning of the season) measure of size and physicality in the Oleksiak deal....and who, better yet, plays full-time.....making a part-time Reaves moot/expendable ??

Said another way, is it possible the Reaves deal never happens in the first place had Oleksiak been on the roster one year ago ?? Regardless, it'll be interesting to see if the Wilsons and Dubinskys (who've both been comparatively well-behaved against the Pens this season) of the world revert to old form with Reaves no longer on the bench keeping tabs on them.
Yep...imo Reaves likely not signed if Oleksiak a Pen at the time, and playing meaningful minutes...

With this Cole deal, why is it I wouldn't be shocked to see Jack Johnson end up in Pittsburgh essentially in a swap of roles ??

In other words, Johnson gets traded to XXXXX for a #___ and the Pens turn around and return that same #____ (and maybe a #4 as payment for making the original deal) to XXXXX for JJ.

CONDITION: I DON'T THINK THERE'S ANY CHANCE IN HELL THE BLOJAX GET THE #1 THEY KEEP TALKING ABOUT FOR JOHNSON; HARD FOR ME TO SEE HOW THEY CAN GET ANYTHING BETTER THAN A #2 (OR MAYBE A MIDDLE-LEVEL MINOR LEAGUER). BUT MAYBE THE PENS END UP NEEDING TO FLIP A #3 (OR THEIR OWN MID-RANGE DEPTH GUY FROM WB/S) TO THE OTHER TEAM (IN ADDITION TO THE PICK THE TEAM TRADES TO CBJ) TO MAKE A JOHNSON DEAL HAPPEN.

Last edited:
With this Cole deal, why is it I wouldn't be shocked to see Jack Johnson end up in Pittsburgh essentially in a swap of roles ??

In other words, Johnson gets traded to XXXXX for a #___ and the Pens turn around and return that same #____ (and maybe a #4 as payment for making the original deal) to XXXXX for JJ.
I like the Brass deal for the most part, however are you a bit concerned about the depth on the backend now and well, as usual with the Pens? I admit the D did yeoman's work last year , however that isn't gonna happen year over year...or is it? :flushed:

CONDITION: I DON'T THINK THERE'S ANY CHANCE IN HELL THE BLOJAX GET THE #1 THEY KEEP TALKING ABOUT FOR JOHNSON; HARD FOR ME TO SEE HOW THEY CAN GET ANYTHING BETTER THAN A #2 (OR MAYBE A MIDDLE-LEVEL MINOR LEAGUER). BUT MAYBE THE PENS END UP NEEDING TO FLIP A #3 (OR THEIR OWN MID-RANGE DEPTH GUY FROM WB/S) TO THE OTHER TEAM (IN ADDITION TO THE PICK THE TEAM TRADES TO CBJ) TO MAKE A JOHNSON DEAL HAPPEN.
Mike Green? Offensive upside still there...likely doesn't cost too much to get? Just a thought...
Also saw this amusing addendum on Wiki lol...
'Michael David Green is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman for the The team who isn't getting Karlsson of the National Hockey League.Wikipedia'

Last edited:
Mike Green? Offensive upside still there...likely doesn't cost too much to get? Just a thought...
Also saw this amusing addendum on Wiki lol...
'Michael David Green is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman for the The team who isn't getting Karlsson of the National Hockey League.Wikipedia'

I freely admit I've never been much of a Mike Green fan; I mean that goes back to his serious 70-point heydays in Washington (BTW, nice shot at Green in that Wikipedia line).

Not sure I can exactly explain why; points are points, and he's scored a lot of them. Maybe I always thought he was just a product of good forwards; guess the same thing can be said of the Kris Letangs and Sergei Gonchars and Paul Coffeys of Pens history. The fact he'll always be a Crap to me probably has a lot to do with it.

Meanwhile, I think Detroit views him every bit as valuable (if not more so) as Columbus views Johnson. I wonder if guys like that won't end up moving today until the absolute 11th hour today while Detroit and Columbus keep pushing for the absolute most blood they can squeeze from those two turnips.

Cryers pick up Oduya for nothing...however wouldn't it be funny if they went in on Kane and Lehner? It fits their usual narrative doesnt it? Aquire a complete knob who will alienate the locker room and a half decent goalie...The Cryers... decades long experts at trotting out netminders that just aren't good enough...

Cryers pick up Oduya for nothing...however wouldn't it be funny if they went in on Kane and Lehner? It fits their usual narrative doesnt it? Aquire a complete knob who will alienate the locker room and a half decent goalie...The Cryers... decades long experts at trotting out netminders that just aren't good enough...

If Oduya was worth anything to anybody, Ottawa.....who are loading up on used puck bags for this upcoming Draft.....would have held onto him. My gut feeling is Oduya is only marginally more useful to the Cryers than Mark Streit was to the Pens last year (or the Canadiens this year).

Meanwhile, with the Pens making a splash.....and the Cryers figuring (right now, at least) they're just as good.....it stands to reason they'd try to splash for someone like Kane. But Hextall still seems loathe to deal Draft choices.....and though there's still an hour left (and he's got defense prospects available to deal).....I'm not sure Kane fits their current franchise profile.

Sounds like the Murray injury reports locally (thruDK) may be less ominous than the national reports.

Though, I suspect nobody has the luxury of taking any report of a puck to the melon lightly. Maatta was described by DK as " a little downcast in the dressing room" after having taken the shot; Murray was said to have still been on his knees after stopping a previous shot......which means he probably wasn't expecting it.

Kane to Sharks for a conditional #1 and #4, plus prospect Daniel O'Reagan. Probably belongs out on the West Coast anyway.

Well, Green will only accept a trade to Tampa or Washington (that news has been out awhile today).....so there goes any notion he could be a candidate for the Pens.

So, GMJR caps off the day by trading his former 3rd line center, Greg McKegg.....who I truthfully didn't even realize was still with the organization.....to Carolina for a kid named Josh Jooris (said now to be with his 4th team in 4 years).

I admit I've always wondered how deals like this actually get started, then negotiated, then finally closed.

Tampa gives up a decent package of picks and prospects (and Namestikov is a legitimate pro).....almost none of which they need......to hit the jackpot on McDonough and Miller.

Hey t, I just heard a guy on NHLN say that Mike Green is/was a Pete.....I had no idea !!!!

Meanwhile, I do think the Blojax are a better team (on paper) than they were at breakfast this morning after trading for Cole and Tom Vanek (for whom the Canucks accepted essentially nothing in return).

Maybe the biggest news of the day from Pens camp are GMJR's apparent comments he's close (supposedly as early as tomorrow) to a Hornqvist extension.......to me, that would be downright outstanding news !!!

Hey t, I just heard a guy on NHLN say that Mike Green is/was a Pete.....I had no idea !!!!

Meanwhile, I do think the Blojax are a better team (on paper) than they were at breakfast this morning after trading for Cole and Tom Vanek (for whom the Canucks accepted essentially nothing in return).
Who said that lol? You (and I ) had no idea cause it didn't happen! He grew up in the W with (I think) Saskatoon?
Gary Green was at one point the coach/GM of the Petes...back in the day.

Reactions: COOL MAN
I like that number...only thing I worry bout is health. As we know he takes a beating...assuming they had to throw in the 5th year out of good faith. He's definitly worth 5 and change per year IMO.

have we learned nothing from the kunitz/dupuis deals?

I completely agree with t that Hornqvist was looking for term.....and probably agreed to $5.3 million for 5 rather than the $6 million for 4 he'd probably be looking for (which I'm skeptical he could get) as a FA.

As for what the club learned from Kunitz and Dupuis, it's totally irrelevant for GMJR because he'll be gone in 2 or 3 years max.....and the wreckage will be left for Guerin or whoever replaces him to clear. He's gone quite public about being all-in for the 3rd in a row.....and maybe one more honest kick at the can next season.....and after that, it's someone else's problem.

As for what the club learned from Kunitz and Dupuis, it's totally irrelevant for GMJR because he'll be gone in 2 or 3 years max.....and the wreckage will be left for Guerin or whoever replaces him to clear. He's gone quite public about being all-in for the 3rd in a row.....and maybe one more honest kick at the can next season.....and after that, it's someone else's problem.

I think there will be another expansion draft in a few years.

To change the subject for a moment.....while the Cryers (with one game still in hand) are tied with the Pens for 2nd place a point behind the Craps, the Pens currently lead the Metro in the ROW columm (Pens 36, Craps 35, Cryers 33.....plus NJD 32, Blojax 31), meaning they hold the tie-breaker over everyone. Of course, with 20 games to play, that's obviously subject to change.

This week's schedule:
  • PIT -- NJD, at BOS, NYI
  • WAS -- at CBJ (tonight), OTT, TOR
  • PHL -- at MTL (tonight), CAR, at TBL
  • NJD -- at PIT, at FLA, at CAR
  • COL -- WAS (tonight), at LAK, at ANA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT