ADVERTISEMENT

Pens December

On the game winner, I'm not sure the puck didn't cross the goal line TWICE ......the first on Jake's wrap around, and again on one of Horndog's pokes in the crease.

Reactions: torontoeers
Did I hear right in the post game that the Preds had 21 SOG in the 3rd period ?? Combine that with the (I think) 17 SOG the Guins had in the 1st, and that's among the more divergent comparisons you'll see in this game.

Not sure if you knuckleheads were aware......I obviously wasn't......the Guins are 3rd in the East (and 2nd in the Metro) this morning.

Clearly, the division is razor close; Isles are -1 (with 2 games in hand).....Jerks are -2 (the Pens with 1 in hand)......and the Cryers are -3 (same GP). So, things can obviously turn totally upside down in a couple days.

But it's clear that even with the key injuries.....and assuming no new ones (which is obviously asking a lot).....this team as currently constituted can beat most anyone provided the goaltending holds up.

Meanwhile, why is it I find myself thinking-unexplainably that......by time the team returns from the ASG a month from now......Murray will be back firmly in the #1 spot ??

TSN's 10-worst FA deals of the past decade; I don't disagree with too many of them, though it's inconceivable to me how Rutherford's 7/35 deal for Alex Semin didn't squeeze it's way at least past the Shipachyov deal (which didn't hurt Vegas in the least).

10. Vadim Shipachyov – Two-year, $9-million contract (May 4, 2017)
The only reason this one isn’t higher is because the Golden Knights managed to get free of the deal before it could become a burden. There was palpable excitement about the signing, even around these parts, but what had potential to be a clever addition of a second-line center turned into an unmitigated headache by the time Vegas’ inaugural season rolled around. Shipachyov didn’t want to report to the AHL, was eventually suspended by Vegas, returned to Russia and eventually voluntarily retired from the NHL having played only three games with the expansion Golden Knights. He did score a goal, though, so there’s that.

9. Christian Ehrhoff – 10-year, $40-million contract (July 1, 2011)
This contract came around the time when the long-term, front-loaded, back-diving deals were en vogue, but those deals were mostly reserved for the creme de la creme, top-tier players who needed to be swayed by such deals. Ehrhoff didn’t strike anyone as that type of player, despite three consecutive 40-plus point efforts and two top-10 Norris Trophy finishes. Alas, the Buffalo Sabres threw a 10-year deal at his feet. The end result? Ehrhoff played 192 games with the Sabres, scored 87 points, earned $22-million and was bought out three years into the contract. Oof.

8. Karl Alzner – Five-year, $23.125-million contract (July 1, 2017)
Canadiens fans were worried about this one before the ink was even dry, and not without reason. Alzner was never a big point producer and spending nearly $5-million per season on a shutdown rearguard was a sizeable risk, particularly when that shutdown defender had played some awfully hard minutes throughout his roughly 650 combined regular season and playoff games. And there’s really no two ways about it now. The deal has landed with a thud. Montreal demoted Alzner to the AHL last season and he hasn’t seen a minute of NHL ice time in 2019-20. He still has two more seasons left on his contract. He’ll also be owed a $1.5-million bonus next season on top of possessing a limited no-trade clause.

7. Andrew Ladd – Seven-year, $38.5-million contract (July 1, 2016)
While a consistent 20-goal scorer and a consummate leader, Ladd was never a top producer in the NHL. Yet, when he hit the open market ahead of his age 31 season, the Islanders saw fit to throw a seven-year pact at the veteran winger. That deal has backfired tremendously. In no season in New York has Ladd, who hadn’t scored fewer than 38 points in the eight campaigns prior, exceeded 31 points, and the wear and tear on his body has limited him to 27 games over the past two seasons. He’s currently in the AHL and has the remainder of this season and three more campaigns left on his contract.

6. Loui Eriksson – Six-year, $36-million contract (July 1, 2016)
Surely, Vancouver Canucks fans will argue this is too low on this list. And, hey, argue away. Eriksson was signed to be a top-six fixture, but the only place he’s been able to consistently fit into the lineup has been on the third and fourth lines. What’s more is that Eriksson, who signed the whopping deal after a 30-goal, 63-point season, has only narrowly exceeded those points totals across the past four combined campaigns in Vancouver. He has 34 goals and 78 points in 216 games as a Canuck. Most will be surprised if he’s not bought out this coming off-season.

5. Ilya Bryzgalov – Nine-year, $41.88-million contract (June 23, 2011)
The Flyers’ goaltending woes are well-documented. So, when Philadelphia threw a boatload of cash at free agent netminder Ilya Bryzgalov, who was fresh off of consecutive top-six Vezina Trophy finishes with the Coyotes, most assumed it wouldn’t end well. Hardly anyone expected Bryzgalov to flame out in Philadelphia so spectacularly, though. In goalie-friendly Phoenix, ‘Bryz’ had posted excellent numbers, but his numbers were ugly with the Flyers without the same system in front of him. Across two seasons, he mustered a .905 save percentage, 2.60 goals-against average and 52-33-10 record. With seven years left on the deal and more than $25 million still to be paid out, the Flyers bought out Bryzgalov. They will continue paying him little more than $1.64-million per season until 2026-27 as a result of the compliance buyout.

4. Brent Seabrook – Eight-year, $55-million contract (Sept. 26, 2015)
The prevailing belief now, maybe more than ever, is that you pay players for what they will accomplish, not what they have in the past. That’s why we’re seeing more big-money deals for restricted free agents. Well, the Blackhawks could have used that kind of thinking before they went and handed Seabrook an eight-year deal that carries a nearly $7-million annual price tag. Seabrook was paid handsomely for what he had done in helping Chicago to three Stanley Cups, not what he would do in the future, and the Blackhawks are paying dearly for it now. Seabrook has lost a step, finds himself sidelined for the rest of this season and potentially a significant portion of next and he still has more than half the contract to go. Add in the no-movement and limited no-trade clauses over the next four seasons and you’ve got yourself a dud of a deal.

3. David Clarkson – Seven-year, $36.75-million contract (July 5, 2013)
Surely Leafs Nation knew this one would make the cut. The Clarkson signing was one of the more reactionary deals of the salary cap era, a response to two quality seasons in an otherwise mediocre career to that point. It was a bad deal from the outset, and Clarkson’s on-ice performance did little to change that belief. In 118 games with the Maple Leafs, he scored 15 goals and 26 points and averaged less than 14 minutes per game in his second season. Less than two campaigns into the deal, he was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets. Speaking of which…

2. Nathan Horton – Seven-year, $37.1-million contract (July 5, 2013)
Originally, this deal was slotted as the fourth-worst, but after some consideration, it had to be bumped up two spots. That’s for a few reasons. First, due to injury, Horton had not played more than 50 regular season games in a single campaign at any point in the two seasons prior to signing a seven-year contract that had a $5.3-million cap hit. That’s a remarkable gamble. Second, he only managed to play a total of 36 games for the Blue Jackets after he put pen to paper on the deal. Thus, he didn’t really have any tangible impact in Columbus. And third, the contract wasn’t insured, which put Columbus on the hook once Horton was sidelined indefinitely. This led to the Blue Jackets willingly swapping the deal for David Clarkson’s in one of the most stunning trades of the cap era. When you have to take on an all-time bad contract because of your own all-time bad contract, that says something.

1. Ville Leino – Six-year, $27-million contract (July 1, 2011)
What in the world were the Buffalo Sabres thinking? Yes, Leino had authored two successful playoff performances and was coming off of a 19-goal, 53-point performance one season earlier, but he had just completed his age 27 season and had one campaign of 60-plus games under his belt. Somehow, though, the Sabres saw fit to throw $4.5-million per season at Leino over a six-year term. But we all know how this story ends. He managed 25 points in his first season in Buffalo, then appeared in only eight games during the lockout-shortened season and had a disastrous 2013-14 season in which he failed to score and registered 15 assists in the 58 appearances he made. He was bought out following that season and has since retired. This marks the last of six seasons in which the Sabres have paid him just north of $1.2 million as part of his compliance buyout.

Not sure if you knuckleheads were aware......I obviously wasn't......the Guins are 3rd in the East (and 2nd in the Metro) this morning.

Clearly, the division is razor close; Isles are -1 (with 2 games in hand).....Jerks are -2 (the Pens with 1 in hand)......and the Cryers are -3 (same GP). So, things can obviously turn totally upside down in a couple days.

But it's clear that even with the key injuries.....and assuming no new ones (which is obviously asking a lot).....this team as currently constituted can beat most anyone provided the goaltending holds up.

Meanwhile, why is it I find myself thinking-unexplainably that......by time the team returns from the ASG a month from now......Murray will be back firmly in the #1 spot ??
Man it is tight...and a good thing to be in the thick of it.

Meanwhile ya it's no secret he seems to have weak starts and usually rounds into form by late Nov, however this time it's gone on considerably longer... if last night is any indication (one bad squeaker which seems to plague him, however very good when it mattered) you could be right, which certainly isn't a bad thing. Would love to see it for the reason alone that we'd have a serious battle for the hemp hut on our hands.
As you alluded to, the goaltending has to be better than average bordering on top notch in order to go anywhere

Reactions: COOL MAN
Man it is tight...and a good thing to be in the thick of it.

For the record (and I didn't realize this until after the fact), the Metro has 4 teams within 3 points of one another......not including the Craps in 1st.......while the Pacific has 5 teams (including Vegas in 1st) within 4 points of one another.

Also, the Pens are back in 3rd place this morning after the Isles win yesterday in Minnesota. One more little tidbit; Sens at Pens is the ONLY game in the League today (with 13 scheduled tomorrow).

Let's talk #72. I know the Pens are stuck because of his salary but is he really anything more than a 4th liner right now if even that? I am not even convinced his net front presence is all that anymore. Everyone can see the speed issues.

Convince me I am dead wrong here

Let's talk #72. I know the Pens are stuck because of his salary but is he really anything more than a 4th liner right now if even that? I am not even convinced his net front presence is all that anymore. Everyone can see the speed issues.

I can't...and he is constantly banged up. I wonder how much longer he can hold up in terms of overall health. Problem as I see it, and perhaps you and few others too is, he is and has been taking on the dirty jobs like scrapping at times as well. I wish we had another guy with his tenacity and 'want to' in that department....he was just back from injury last game so maybe that's also a reason for the extra slow look. Either way I give him credit for the jam provided over the years, but past performance doesn't really pay the bills of the present...

I don't think anyone is claiming his is a good contract these days......or for that matter, thought it was a good one the day he signed it.

But on balance, you still know what you're getting with him...... so long as he's on the ice...... and there still isn't a single player in the entire organization even remotely as willing to stick his ass in the goatender's breadbasket (like he did, as always, on Saturday night). He's never going to lead a rush, and he's never going to get in a passing lane.......then again, I'm not sure he's done either of those things at any point in his career.

But your decision on him is already made, so I myself won't try and change your mind. And FWIW, I seriously doubt he'll be all that interesting to Seattle 18 months from now when it comes time to make their selection from the Pens' roster. All of which means Horndog almost assuredly is ours for the remainder of his contract; so you might just as well get used to it.

Trib-Review reporting that Blandisi will dress tonight over Lafferty.......who I believe is viewed to have dropped off significantly after his good first couple weeks in Pittsburgh. PHN believes if Blandisi dresses, it'll be Simon who sits out.

Finally, Jarry reportedly left the morning skate first, indicating he'll get tonight's start

Hard not to feel a little bad for the Hogberg kid after his D hangs him out to dry in the first 30 seconds.....

I don't think anyone is claiming his is a good contract these days......or for that matter, thought it was a good one the day he signed it.

But on balance, you still know what you're getting with him...... so long as he's on the ice...... and there still isn't a single player in the entire organization even remotely as willing to stick his ass in the goatender's breadbasket (like he did, as always, on Saturday night). He's never going to lead a rush, and he's never going to get in a passing lane.......then again, I'm not sure he's done either of those things at any point in his career.

But your decision on him is already made, so I myself won't try and change your mind. And FWIW, I seriously doubt he'll be all that interesting to Seattle 18 months from now when it comes time to make their selection from the Pens' roster. All of which means Horndog almost assuredly is ours for the remainder of his contract; so you might just as well get used to it.

I wasn’t questioning his past contributions or his current efforts. The speed of the Pens the last few months has been evident and a huge advantage against most opponents. Inserting a plodding and more workman-like forward impacts that speed advantage.

Agreed the Sens are targeting Geno; their problem is IF they piss him off enough, he's liable to end up with a 5 point night.

Hey t.......not that this matters, or has anything to do with hockey......but do you folks have the Papa John's Pizza chain in Canada ??

Hey t.......not that this matters, or has anything to do with hockey......but do you folks have the Papa John's Pizza chain in Canada ??
We do! I kinda like their za...although there are only a few outlets here or there. The big one is 'Pizza Pizza' which is pure junk. If I'm going chain it's Little Caesars for me...the sauce imo is the thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT