ADVERTISEMENT

Pens - - DEC 2016

1-0 Canes. This is shaping up to be a not so great sports day.

1-0 Canes. This is shaping up to be a not so great sports day.
Their D line and LB's are quick and agile but Sky needs to figure this out and right quick. Run it a bit more, figure out a screen that works or try it deep if the O line can give him a second more. Gibby , Shorts et al should torch this Miami secondary if given the chance. CMON SKY!!!

Pens don't appear to have their legs thus far against an opponent who succeeds with skating. I didn't see the Canes goal; but I think the Pens are going to need Murray to have a good night the rest of the way IF they're going to win.

As for the football, pretty much yecch thus far....

Kunitz rips a one timer up the slot off a sweet from-the-corner feed by Kessel......2-2

Good win against a Canes team looking and playing better than we've grown accustomed to seeing.

Daley back in the lineup earlier than expected helped (though I admit I don't recall him having much real impact). Considering the way his injury had been portrayed in the media as week-to-week, he's probably not close to 100%; and that's how he sounded to me when interviewed between periods. But with knowledge his team.....down a wacky 4 D-men in the aftermath of the Dumoulin injury......needed him, he went into full-blown warrior mode.

Would be nice to see Tanger play on Saturday; though I have no clue if he's even close to returning. As for Mattaa, his sit-out against Jersey was being initially described as an expected single game due to illness....then he misses the second consecutive game. He certainly COULD have a flu bug, but I'm wondering if these are problems surrounding his thyroid.

Hornqvist busts his ass down the ice and hits Hagelin for a one-timer and his second in 2 nights......3-2

Very nice to see these two......and add Kunitz to that list.....become integral parts of the team again. Even given the excellent December the team has enjoyed with Sid and Geno carrying the load, their contributions have been sorely missed.

Good win against a Canes team looking and playing better than we've grown accustomed to seeing.

Daley back in the lineup earlier than expected helped (though I admit I don't recall him having much real impact). Considering the way his injury had been portrayed in the media as week-to-week, he's probably not close to 100%; and that's how he sounded to me when interviewed between periods. But with knowledge his team.....down a wacky 4 D-men in the aftermath of the Dumoulin injury......needed him, he went into full-blown warrior mode.

Would be nice to see Tanger play on Saturday; though I have no clue if he's even close to returning. As for Mattaa, his sit-out against Jersey was being initially described as an expected single game due to illness....then he misses the second consecutive game. He certainly COULD have a flu bug, but I'm wondering if these are problems surrounding his thyroid.
I just saw a banner on ESPN that said Matt Murray was out indefinitely. These injuries are starting to add up.

I just saw a banner on ESPN that said Matt Murray was out indefinitely. These injuries are starting to add up.

Josh Yohe on DK is calling MM "week to week", just like Daley and Tanger after their recent injuries. Murray's injury is being called an LBI, which I guess I'm sort of assuming is groin-related.

After the New Year's Eve match-up with Montreal, the Pens are idle for a full week......though why, I still don't know. Anyway, this break actually couldn't come at a much better time, especially with Tanger NOT thought to be ready to play on Saturday.

Anyway, start collecting your hockey tidbits, boys, because we're going to have to find a way to maintain our collective hockey fix next week while the team is evidently out getting an early January suntan.......especially because I frankly don't give enough of a shit about the WJC to make up for this.

Josh Yohe on DK is calling MM "week to week", just like Daley and Tanger after their recent injuries. Murray's injury is being called an LBI, which I guess I'm sort of assuming is groin-related.

After the New Year's Eve match-up with Montreal, the Pens are idle for a full week......though why, I still don't know. Anyway, this break actually couldn't come at a much better time, especially with Tanger NOT thought to be ready to play on Saturday.

Anyway, start collecting your hockey tidbits, boys, because we're going to have to find a way to maintain our collective hockey fix next week while the team is evidently out getting an early January suntan.......especially because I frankly don't give enough of a shit about the WJC to make up for this.
Thanks for the insight Cool Man. Also, Happy New Year to you and the rest of the gang!

Pretty cool story from Jason Mackey in this morning's Pitt Post Gazette about a group of old timers who have been around the old Igloo/Consol/PPG Paints Arenas longer than the team has been in existence.......in particular, I get a kick out of an 88 year old working as a "guard" :smiley: I assume there are similar stories with all the remaining '67 expansion teams; and they presumably exist, in perhaps even greater numbers, at each of the Original Six.

Old news is good news for this group
December 30, 2016 12:00 AM
By Jason Mackey / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Penguins are celebrating their 50th year as an NHL franchise this season. For this group, that’s old news.

Six men who currently work at PPG Paints Arena actually pre-date the hockey club. Three of them were on the job for Civic Arena’s inaugural season in 1961. Two worked the first-ever event — Ice Capades.

Such longevity, as you might expect, is a considerable source of pride for this group.

“We’ve certainly seen a lot of things,” said John Domitrovic, 88, of Shaler Township, the building’s longest-tenured employee.

Domitrovic, who works as a guard in the media room, began his employment on Sept. 2, 1961, having worked previously at Duquesne Gardens.

“The Penguins have had different owners, and there have been different building management companies,” Domitrovic added. “We’ve survived them all.”

John Kruljac turned 88 the day after Christmas. This Ross Township resident spent the bulk of his life in jewelry manufacturing but always had an affinity for hockey, especially the Pittsburgh Hornets.

Kruljac has been retired for 23 years. His co-workers and bosses in the box office are routinely about a third of his age. And Kruljac, who started his employment at Civic Arena on Sept. 6, 1961, loves every second of it.

“If you enjoy what you’re doing, it’s not hard to go to work,” Kruljac said. “I never minded going to work with my craft. The same with this.

“As long as they want me, I’ll want them.”

David Blackburn, 81, of the North Side, is the third member of the 1961 group. He started about a month later than the two Johns, on Oct. 14, 1961.

Blackburn was fresh out of the Air Force back then and looking for a job. He started out as an usher and now works at the administrative entrance, greeting fans and fellow employees as they arrive.

“I didn’t plan on staying this long,” Blackburn said. “But I think this is the best part-time job in the city. I still like it. And I’m not leaving there until the good Lord calls me home.”

Penguins chief operating officer Travis Williams said these six “symbolize Pittsburgh.”

“While we can identify those who have been here since the beginning, and that’s neat, it’s really just a representation of how remarkable all of our employees are,” Williams said. “They love serving our fans. They love making sure they have a great experience. They go above and beyond.”

The stories these guys can tell are incredible.

Gary Underwood, 70, of Penn Hills, recalled the Beatles’ visit in 1964. A pre-show staff meeting included instructions to keep aisles clear and to not let fans rush the stage.

You know how that turned out.

“My section was so far back and so high up, they were rushing out of my section,” said Underwood, who started Aug. 17, 1964. “I just got to stand there and watch all the flash bulbs go off.”

“I’ve never seen so many flash bulbs in my life,” Kruljac added.

William Ross, 75, of Allison Park, has worked as an usher, a ticket taker and an elevator operator at Civic Arena.

He thought about retiring in the mid-1980s and even took a year off, but then the Penguins drafted Mario Lemieux.

Ross, like all of these guys a hockey fan dating back to the Hornets and Duquesne Gardens, had to see this.

“I said I was going to see what it was like,” Ross said. “Mario was one of the reasons I stayed there.”

David Dorsey Jr. is from New Orleans, La., and moved here for school in 1953.

While working as an Allegheny County juvenile probation officer, Dorsey began moonlighting at Civic Arena for some extra money in 1964.

This 85-year-old Wilkinsburg resident still drives to work every day and currently works at the entrance to the players’ parking garage.

“I have no desire to stop,” Dorsey said. “I’m still having fun.”

One consensus among the group is that things are different at PPG Paints Arena than they were at Civic Arena. Many have parts of work they miss.

“Today we have so many people, and I don’t know half of them,” Blackburn said.

Kruljac misses entering through the same gate as the players and bumping into Lemieux or Sidney Crosby. It’s much more segregated now.

But don’t take this as complaining. It’s the luxury of having seen a lot.

“I think we’re all honored to have been around for as much as we have been,” Kruljac said.

Something that has always kept these guys going is deriving enjoyment from interacting with fans and getting to know the customers on a personal level.

“It’s the people who make it happen,” said Underwood, who’s a ticket taker at the suite level entrance. “If you know how to talk to them, have a good time and make sure what you say is not offensive — management doesn’t want unhappy campers — it’s a win-win.”

The amazing thing is that these six all know each other’s rank on the seniority list. They’ve also all met and are friendly with one another, although you could happen that was bound to happen over five decades or so working in the same place.

“It’s all about being a part of something and meeting different people,” Domitrovic said.

As the top dog on building management company AEG’s seniority list, Domitrovic said he has been thinking more and more about stepping down. His wife of 61 years, Dolores, would like to have him home more, but Domitrovic still enjoys coming to work every day.

“I know the time’s coming,” Domitrovic said. “I’m starting to think about the finish date. I haven’t set that yet, but it is getting closer.”

THE LIST

Six men have worked at Civic Arena (and now PPG Paints Arena) for so long that they actually pre-date the Penguins:

John Domitrovic, 88, Shaler Township, Sept. 2, 1961

John Kruljac, 88, Ross Township, Sept. 6, 1961

David Blackburn, 81, North Side, Oct. 14, 1961

David Dorsey Jr., 85, Wilkinsburg, May 30, 1964

Gary Underwood, 70, Penn Hills, Aug. 17, 1964

William Ross, 75, Allison Park, Dec. 12, 1966

Pens have recalled Tristan Jarry to backup Flower while Murray is on the mend. Six months ago, that would have sounded like a recipe for major disaster, after TJ was so poor in WB/S that he was beaten out by Casey DeSmith for the AHL playoffs.

But judging from his numbers thus far this season, he appears to have come back from that disappointment in a farily nice way; 13-5-0 / 2.15 / .921......though I think we can probably all agree the only possble way he's getting any ice time in Pittsburgh is if Flower also gets hurt.

Let's hope Flower survives (and maybe beats) the Canadiens......who, even though they're not playing especially well right now, probably have the advantage with all the Pens injuries at defense.....and MM is back after the week off.

Josh Yohe reporting today that BOTH Tanger and Maatta may indeed dress tonight.....which I'd REALLY like to see.

I hope you're all watching the Canadiens at Pens on Center Ice rather than the Bucks and Clemson, if for no other reason than the legendary Bob Cole is doing the P-b-P for the HNIC telecast.

Reactions: torontoeers
Down 1-0 on a Radulov goal.....on which the HNIC guys said accurately that Flower overplayed going from post to post and ended up missing between his legs.....China Doll Carey Price knocks a puck that was on it's way into the goal on the PP out of the air.

VERY nice save.....Canadiens (IMO) the better team early in the play, especially because the Pens have missed on several passes (including on a breakaway for Kessel where the puck just rolled off his stick).

Pens down 1-0 after one, and deserve to be.

Stripes gave them 3 PP's, and they other than the shot to which I referred earlier that Price stopped, they really didn't scare the goal. Pens spending all their time on the perimeter, and nobody is making Price's night difficult. Canadiens defending their cage very effectively, and they're skating stride for stride with the Pens. SOG were 11-11.

Malkin flat stinking it up thus far; several errant passes, not skating with any authority, largely disengaged, and he clean missed the cage from right up the slot in the last minute of the period. As for Sid, he's been essentially a no-show thus far. I don't think anyone for the Pens had a good 1P.

Better find the cage before the stripes start evening things up aggressively for the Canadiens......

Geno decides to show up for the 2nd.....make a perfect cross ice pass through a late-diving Shea Weber to a wide-open-on-the-doorstep Patty Hornqvist. Game tied 1-1.....now, if we can just find Sid.

Kessel takes a lead pass down the right wing......leaves Canadiens D-man Ryan Johnston in his jet wash....then beats China Doll on the backhand.....2-1 Pens

A little flash and dash from PK right there! Boom!

There you are, t......thought you and the Missus might have gone out tonight. Pens look much better this period; couldn't have looked much worse than in that 1st.

Pretty cool story from Jason Mackey in this morning's Pitt Post Gazette about a group of old timers who have been around the old Igloo/Consol/PPG Paints Arenas longer than the team has been in existence.......in particular, I get a kick out of an 88 year old working as a "guard" :smiley: I assume there are similar stories with all the remaining '67 expansion teams; and they presumably exist, in perhaps even greater numbers, at each of the Original Six.

Old news is good news for this group
December 30, 2016 12:00 AM
By Jason Mackey / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Penguins are celebrating their 50th year as an NHL franchise this season. For this group, that’s old news.

Six men who currently work at PPG Paints Arena actually pre-date the hockey club. Three of them were on the job for Civic Arena’s inaugural season in 1961. Two worked the first-ever event — Ice Capades.

Such longevity, as you might expect, is a considerable source of pride for this group.

“We’ve certainly seen a lot of things,” said John Domitrovic, 88, of Shaler Township, the building’s longest-tenured employee.

Domitrovic, who works as a guard in the media room, began his employment on Sept. 2, 1961, having worked previously at Duquesne Gardens.

“The Penguins have had different owners, and there have been different building management companies,” Domitrovic added. “We’ve survived them all.”

John Kruljac turned 88 the day after Christmas. This Ross Township resident spent the bulk of his life in jewelry manufacturing but always had an affinity for hockey, especially the Pittsburgh Hornets.

Kruljac has been retired for 23 years. His co-workers and bosses in the box office are routinely about a third of his age. And Kruljac, who started his employment at Civic Arena on Sept. 6, 1961, loves every second of it.

“If you enjoy what you’re doing, it’s not hard to go to work,” Kruljac said. “I never minded going to work with my craft. The same with this.

“As long as they want me, I’ll want them.”

David Blackburn, 81, of the North Side, is the third member of the 1961 group. He started about a month later than the two Johns, on Oct. 14, 1961.

Blackburn was fresh out of the Air Force back then and looking for a job. He started out as an usher and now works at the administrative entrance, greeting fans and fellow employees as they arrive.

“I didn’t plan on staying this long,” Blackburn said. “But I think this is the best part-time job in the city. I still like it. And I’m not leaving there until the good Lord calls me home.”

Penguins chief operating officer Travis Williams said these six “symbolize Pittsburgh.”

“While we can identify those who have been here since the beginning, and that’s neat, it’s really just a representation of how remarkable all of our employees are,” Williams said. “They love serving our fans. They love making sure they have a great experience. They go above and beyond.”

The stories these guys can tell are incredible.

Gary Underwood, 70, of Penn Hills, recalled the Beatles’ visit in 1964. A pre-show staff meeting included instructions to keep aisles clear and to not let fans rush the stage.

You know how that turned out.

“My section was so far back and so high up, they were rushing out of my section,” said Underwood, who started Aug. 17, 1964. “I just got to stand there and watch all the flash bulbs go off.”

“I’ve never seen so many flash bulbs in my life,” Kruljac added.

William Ross, 75, of Allison Park, has worked as an usher, a ticket taker and an elevator operator at Civic Arena.

He thought about retiring in the mid-1980s and even took a year off, but then the Penguins drafted Mario Lemieux.

Ross, like all of these guys a hockey fan dating back to the Hornets and Duquesne Gardens, had to see this.

“I said I was going to see what it was like,” Ross said. “Mario was one of the reasons I stayed there.”

David Dorsey Jr. is from New Orleans, La., and moved here for school in 1953.

While working as an Allegheny County juvenile probation officer, Dorsey began moonlighting at Civic Arena for some extra money in 1964.

This 85-year-old Wilkinsburg resident still drives to work every day and currently works at the entrance to the players’ parking garage.

“I have no desire to stop,” Dorsey said. “I’m still having fun.”

One consensus among the group is that things are different at PPG Paints Arena than they were at Civic Arena. Many have parts of work they miss.

“Today we have so many people, and I don’t know half of them,” Blackburn said.

Kruljac misses entering through the same gate as the players and bumping into Lemieux or Sidney Crosby. It’s much more segregated now.

But don’t take this as complaining. It’s the luxury of having seen a lot.

“I think we’re all honored to have been around for as much as we have been,” Kruljac said.

Something that has always kept these guys going is deriving enjoyment from interacting with fans and getting to know the customers on a personal level.

“It’s the people who make it happen,” said Underwood, who’s a ticket taker at the suite level entrance. “If you know how to talk to them, have a good time and make sure what you say is not offensive — management doesn’t want unhappy campers — it’s a win-win.”

The amazing thing is that these six all know each other’s rank on the seniority list. They’ve also all met and are friendly with one another, although you could happen that was bound to happen over five decades or so working in the same place.

“It’s all about being a part of something and meeting different people,” Domitrovic said.

As the top dog on building management company AEG’s seniority list, Domitrovic said he has been thinking more and more about stepping down. His wife of 61 years, Dolores, would like to have him home more, but Domitrovic still enjoys coming to work every day.

“I know the time’s coming,” Domitrovic said. “I’m starting to think about the finish date. I haven’t set that yet, but it is getting closer.”

THE LIST

Six men have worked at Civic Arena (and now PPG Paints Arena) for so long that they actually pre-date the Penguins:

John Domitrovic, 88, Shaler Township, Sept. 2, 1961

John Kruljac, 88, Ross Township, Sept. 6, 1961

David Blackburn, 81, North Side, Oct. 14, 1961

David Dorsey Jr., 85, Wilkinsburg, May 30, 1964

Gary Underwood, 70, Penn Hills, Aug. 17, 1964

William Ross, 75, Allison Park, Dec. 12, 1966
This is seriously one of those epic stories that I just love! Thanks for bringing this CM!

There you are, t......thought you and the Missus might have gone out tonight. Pens look much better this period; couldn't have looked much worse than in that 1st.
FYI CM as I was contemplating that last Habs goal and exactly why our boys wouldn't get THE HELL OUTTA THE WAY from that puck?!?....my Petes who are on an 8 game win streak :cool2:....just consummated a deal for Nikita Korostelev out of Sania, for largely 2nd and 3rd round draft picks...he is a top flight winger in the O which tells me they are going all in to take on the Gens in the East...however I just discovered...he is actually a Leaves prospect!?! Arrghh...I will support him regardless if he can help us win...gritting or perhaps grinding my teeth the whole way lol...
Let's go here in the 3rd! Refs evened it up a bit as we figured they would but need this one imo...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Also....sigh....big shout out to your boys today on their win over my boys in the WJHC. Something tells me we shall meet up again...both teams look strong however in pre tourney chatter about the Americans having no weaknesses? I now see why...and you also seem to have a distinct edge in goal....

Malkin!!! And is Grapes ever upset for 'his boy' ! Bwahahahaha! Eat it Donnie!!!
I only saw the last two periods (apparently did not miss much in the 1st.) 2nd and 3rd were plenty exciting. MAF with some tremendous saves! Nice win for the last game of 2016!

Malkin!!! And is Grapes ever upset for 'his boy' ! Bwahahahaha! Eat it Donnie!!!

No doubt, Grapes wanted to be ANYWHERE.......talking about anything ELSE.....than commenting on how Geno turned China Doll into a statue on the game winner. CD is easily the best in the game, and he never moved on the shot until they began announcing the friggin' 3 stars [banana]

In his (undeserved) defense, nobody was going to stop THAT missile....

Hey t, did you happen to dial up Pat Hickey's post mortem in the Gazette this morning ?? He's still taking shots at Kessel, calling him FAT PHIL.....any idea what Kessel ever did to him, or is he simply (for whatever reason) trying to curry favor with Leaves fans trolling his rag ??

Hey t, did you happen to dial up Pat Hickey's post mortem in the Gazette this morning ?? He's still taking shots at Kessel, calling him FAT PHIL.....any idea what Kessel ever did to him, or is he simply (for whatever reason) trying to curry favor with Leaves fans trolling his rag ??
CM...if I could finally figure out how to use the newer picture feature using Google from this board I would share one or 2 of the multiple images of Hickey filling his face with chili dog/fries...what a douche this chump for YEARS! Habs fans despise him...

CM...if I could finally figure out how to use the newer picture feature using Google from this board I would share one or 2 of the multiple images of Hickey filling his face with chili dog/fries...what a douche this chump for YEARS! Habs fans despise him...

[roll]

Last December (2015) he was Fat Phil. Now just call him Phat Phil thank you very much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT