ADVERTISEMENT

Pens - - DEC 2016

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
If you need to give me the middle finger this month regarding my Pens opinions, here's the best place to do it.

Meanwhile, the Dead Wings come to Pittsburgh tonight, who I dislike as much as anyone outside the East. I always want to beat them 6-0; regardless, if Mrazek plays tonight, I'll be disappointed if they don't score AT LEAST 4 (with Sid scoring a minimum 2 points himself).

Guins finally on the Board; world class cross-icer by Geno, goal-scorer's finish by Kessel.

Guess I need to give up on them tonight like I did on Wednesday :grimace: Meanwhile, anyone seen Sid tonight ???

Guess I need to give up on them tonight like I did on Wednesday :grimace: Meanwhile, anyone seen Sid tonight ???

Four goal 3rd, Pens win....glad I took a shower between the 2nd and 3rd. All it took was to wash off the stench from my day raking leaves.

Reactions: torontoeers
Was thinking this morning that last night might have been one of those nights Sid just decided to go through the motions.

I've heard it said for a long time that the even the greatest superstars can't bring it.....physically or emotionally......80 times a year. Since I've never been a superstar, I don't know how true that is; but it DOES seem plausible. And Lord knows, Sid never DID contribute last night (his single point not withstanding).

Given the fact they were playing a Wings team with roughly half their lineup hurt......and with a career minor leaguer in goal.......you'd think this MIGHT have been a home game they could win without Sid's participation. Fortunately, it finally worked out that way.

I myself also thought Geno looked more motivated last night than he's been most of the season; theoretically giving some credence to the notion this kind of sleep walk is not only possible, but actually planned-for in the room.

Four goal 3rd, Pens win....glad I took a shower between the 2nd and 3rd. All it took was to wash off the stench from my day raking leaves.

U probably washed off some of the stench from the pens play the first two periods as well. I honestly think this is a dangerous habit that the team has displayed. No doubt they amp up for the third. But how can they justify this less than acceptable efforts of the first 2 periods game in and game out?

U probably washed off some of the stench from the pens play the first two periods as well. I honestly think this is a dangerous habit that the team has displayed. No doubt they amp up for the third. But how can they justify this less than acceptable efforts of the first 2 periods game in and game out?

Well, the team is obviously playing with fire with this come-from-behind "strategy" in the 3rd period. And equally obviously, they don't want to be trying this with the Habs or Craps or Rangers or at least a half dozen other teams. We already know it didn't work (twice) against the Wild.

Meanwhile, I read this morning about a little wrinkle in the upcoming expansion Draft which I hadn't thought about; that is, as part of the Knights' 48 hour exclusive signing period for free agents......which we've grown typically to think applies virtually exclusively to UNRESTRICTED FA's......they evidently have equal access to RESTRICTED FA's as well.

That puts Dumoulin, Sheary, Schultz, Pouliot , and Sundquist at risk. Not sure which of them will be at the greatest risk for loss (Dumoulin ??); of course every team in the League probably has similar risks among their better young players. FWIW......and under the assumption the Pens come up with a way to protect Matt Murray......the Pens' smartest money candidate (for those prognosticating online) for expansion Draft loss appears currently to be Trevor Daley.

BTW, if they lose an RFA during that exclusive signing period, it appears everyone is automatically protected for the balance of the Draft.

Well, the team is obviously playing with fire with this come-from-behind "strategy" in the 3rd period. And equally obviously, they don't want to be trying this with the Habs or Craps or Rangers or at least a half dozen other teams. We already know it didn't work (twice) against the Wild.

Meanwhile, I read this morning about a little wrinkle in the upcoming expansion Draft which I hadn't thought about; that is, as part of the Knights' 48 hour exclusive signing period for free agents......which we've grown typically to think applies virtually exclusively to UNRESTRICTED FA's......they evidently have equal access to RESTRICTED FA's as well.

That puts Dumoulin, Sheary, Schultz, Pouliot , and Sundquist at risk. Not sure which of them will be at the greatest risk for loss (Dumoulin ??); of course every team in the League probably has similar risks among their better young players. FWIW......and under the assumption the Pens come up with a way to protect Matt Murray......the Pens' smartest money candidate (for those prognosticating online) for expansion Draft loss appears currently to be Trevor Daley.

BTW, if they lose an RFA during that exclusive signing period, it appears everyone is automatically protected for the balance of the Draft.
Yep! And in my personal opinion it is BS. I don't care how much coin these Knights have paid. NO expansion team ever has had the advantages this one has....Bettman and more accurately the owners want their windfall...well I guess careful what you wish for....

And I didn't even have a chance to sit down for an 8-5 victory over the Sens ? What the hell is this 1986??? I saw both goalies saw some action tonight, with Flower seeing more action...I am safe to assume he was extracated from the cage at some point?
A win is a win is a win I suppose....however they are coming...in all shapes and sizes it seems!

Yep! And in my personal opinion it is BS. I don't care how much coin these Knights have paid. NO expansion team ever has had the advantages this one has....Bettman and more accurately the owners want their windfall...well I guess careful what you wish for....

And I didn't even have a chance to sit down for an 8-5 victory over the Sens ? What the hell is this 1986??? I saw both goalies saw some action tonight, with Flower seeing more action...I am safe to assume he was extracated from the cage at some point?
A win is a win is a win I suppose....however they are coming...in all shapes and sizes it seems!

We talked about this early-signing advantage Vegas was awarded earlier this year. I think we decided at the time we were on opposite sides of the fence; you thought (as you do now) this to be patently unfair, and I don't happen to think it's too out of hand in exchange for an absurd half billion dollar entry fee. Of course, I don't want to lose someone like Dumoulin or Sheary, either.

I'm in Detroit for a couple nights this week, and didn't get to see the game. Saw most of the scoring on NHLN, and couldn't believe how many goals just flat went through two fairly professional veteran goaltenders. All I can say about a game like that is you don't want to be on the short end.

Flower got pulled after the 4th Sens goal; I couldn't believe Boucher gave Anderson the Al Montoya treatment by leaving him to the wolves.

Not sure what happened to MAF. Nothing he could do on the 3rd and 4th goals. I didn't see the first 2 Sens goals. But as usual, the Pens go from crappy to great in 5 seconds and win going away. Great move by Rust on the PS. Hard to believe the Pens score 8 and Sid gets a lone point!!

Off to Miami tomorrow morning fellas! :cool2:....I will do my level best to bring some luck ....when I visit the road venues they seem to do a bit better lol. Sitting 5 rows up lowers near the Fla goal 1st and 3rd, I hope to get a sunburn from the red lamp rather than the sun!
I'll also be sporting some WV gear round town...let's see what sort of reaction that gets from the local Candy Cane faithful...if you could even find a Canes fan now days for that matter!

Let's go Pens!!!!

Off to Miami tomorrow morning fellas! :cool2:....I will do my level best to bring some luck ....when I visit the road venues they seem to do a bit better lol. Sitting 5 rows up lowers near the Fla goal 1st and 3rd, I hope to get a sunburn from the red lamp rather than the sun!
I'll also be sporting some WV gear round town...let's see what sort of reaction that gets from the local Candy Cane faithful...if you could even find a Canes fan now days for that matter!

Let's go Pens!!!!

Have a great trip; we're ALL jealous of you......no matter what kind of weather you encounter, it's got to be a fair distance better than the rain and 36F I dealt with today (and probably tomorrow) in Detroit.

Is anybody hearing anything on the Pens goalie situation? I have to think the Pens move MAF at some point this season assuming he waives his no-trade clause. So much to consider here though. You surely don't want to trade him to an eastern contender as that could bite your arse big time in the playoffs. It is a luxury to have two above average keepers. However at some point you just have to pick one as your #1.

Is anybody hearing anything on the Pens goalie situation? I have to think the Pens move MAF at some point this season assuming he waives his no-trade clause. So much to consider here though. You surely don't want to trade him to an eastern contender as that could bite your arse big time in the playoffs. It is a luxury to have two above average keepers. However at some point you just have to pick one as your #1.

There's been a ton of talk on NHLN Radio pretty much since the season began on this subject, and there'll be a ton more before a trade......which is almost universally assumed......is finally consummated.

As you probably read, GMJR finally went public recently with his assessment that his idea of having two #1 goaltenders really hasn't worked as well thus far as he expected. What's probably THE greatest unknown is exactly what he'll be looking for (and what he can get) in a deal assuming Flower waives his NTC; which most folks close to him apparently seem to feel he'll agree to at some point, especially if he's relegated full time to the backup role.

Unless Murray gets hurt, this trade pretty much HAS to happen. There's also the chance GMJR makes some kind of deal with Vegas to incentive George McPhee to pass on an unprotected Murray. It wouldn't surprise ME if McPhee insisted on AT LEAST a #1 pick.......or some other deal which would really be a negative. So, I myself still expect SOMETHING to happen by the trade deadline.

There continues to be plenty of thought that MAF is a good fit for Dallas; if so, you can probably assume the deal will require the Pens take back either Kari Lehtonen or Antti Niemi. I think the Pens would prefer the lower cost Niemi, while Dallas will probably want to move the higher priced Lehtonen.

Problem is they're currently in 11th in the West, and good teams like Nashville and LA ahead of them are also trying to make the top 8. Then there's the reality is that MAF himself isn't playing much better. In fact, it's hard to imagine ANYONE who'll want the current Flower and his $5.75 million salary for the next 2 1/2 seasons.

I did read one account last week saying a possibility for Flower would a reunification with Disco Dan in Buffalo. Might make some sense, though the Sabres don't appear to have the cap space to take him on. Maybe they try to force the perhaps-irretrievably busted (though 7 years younger) Evander Kane on the Pens.

Last edited:
There's been a ton of talk on NHLN Radio pretty much since the season began on this subject, and there'll be a ton more before a trade......which is almost universally assumed......is finally consummated.

As you probably read, GMJR finally went public recently with his assessment that his idea of having two #1 goaltenders really hasn't worked as well thus far as he expected. What's probably THE greatest unknown is exactly what he'll be looking for (and what he can get) in a deal assuming Flower waives his NTC; which most folks close to him apparently seem to feel he'll agree to at some point, especially if he's relegated full time to the backup role.

Unless Murray gets hurt, this trade pretty much HAS to happen. There's also the chance GMJR makes some kind of deal with Vegas to incentive George McPhee to pass on an unprotected Murray. It wouldn't surprise ME if McPhee insisted on AT LEAST a #1 pick.......or some other deal which would really be a negative. So, I myself still expect SOMETHING to happen by the trade deadline.

There continues to be plenty of thought that MAF is a good fit for Dallas; if so, you can probably assume the deal will require the Pens take back either Kari Lehtonen or Antti Niemi. I think the Pens would prefer the lower cost Niemi, while Dallas will probably want to move the higher priced Lehtonen.

Problem is they're currently in 11th in the West, and good teams like Nashville and LA ahead of them are also trying to make the top 8. Then there's the reality is that MAF himself isn't playing much better. In fact, it's hard to imagine ANYONE who'll want the current Flower and his $5.75 million salary for the next 2 1/2 seasons.

I did read one account last week saying a possibility for Flower would a reunification with Disco Dan in Buffalo. Might make some sense, though the Sabres don't appear to have the cap space to take him on. Maybe they try to force the perhaps-irretrievably busted (though 7 years younger) Evander Kane on the Pens.
NOOOOOOOOO !!!! LOL....Kane....dirtbag....please no!

All in all this deal may not make sense all around? Just thinking out loud here but....I don't want to give up the 1st at all....what happens if he just walks or Vegas takes him? Honestly ....its 5 million to 'spend' and 'our' picks are 'ours'....seriously rock hard place coming up soon if it isn't here already....

Hold on...I need to have a look see but, can they not expose Flower, keep MM and call it a loss CM? Or must Murray be exposed as well? I honestly need to look into this deeper than I have been....

NOOOOOOOOO !!!! LOL....Kane....dirtbag....please no!

All in all this deal may not make sense all around? Just thinking out loud here but....I don't want to give up the 1st at all....what happens if he just walks or Vegas takes him? Honestly ....its 5 million to 'spend' and 'our' picks are 'ours'....seriously rock hard place coming up soon if it isn't here already....

Hold on...I need to have a look see but, can they not expose Flower, keep MM and call it a loss CM? Or must Murray be exposed as well? I honestly need to look into this deeper than I have been....

I'm just making up Kane as a possible trade commodity with Buffalo since the dollars are pretty comparable; I've heard nothing like that at all from the media. Which has nothing to do with the fact I seriously doubt the Pens want any part of him anyway. However, they could theoretically keep him the rest of the season and then expose him if they so chose. Of course, there's no way to know if McPhee would draft him (from the Sabres or the Pens).

But as a damaged (and apparently getting more damaged by the week) player, I see Kane as one of those for whom the Sabres likely will never get what they feel as though he's worth.....based, if nothing else, on what they traded for him in the first place. For the record, Kane has no NTC of any type; meaning he could be exposed by Buffalo (which I seriously doubt they want to do, but might be so forced).

As for Flower, the only thing we know for absolute certain is his NTC (like Sid's and Geno's and others) requires him to be protected in the expansion draft if he's still on the roster. And since teams can only protect one goaltender, the Pens goaltender therefore has to be Fleury.

In the alternative, MAF can agree to waive his NTC.....giving GMJR the ability to move him prior to the deadline (thereby giving them the opportunity to protect MM).....or he can put together a deal whereby McPhee agrees not to grab an unprotected Matt Murray from the Pens. Without either of those situations being in place, the general consensus is that McPhee absolutely will take Murray in the draft; quite possibly as his 1st pick.

Of course, you know all of this already (and are just more worried about getting to Florida than thinking it through) :smiley: But the short answer to your question above is no; if MAF could be left unprotected in favor of Murray, there's little doubt that's precisely what the Pens would do.

Meanwhille, I find myself wondering how privately (and badly) GMJR wishes he could leave somebody like Geno unprotected.

Speaking of the Vegas expansion draft, have you heard about the team's new nickname/trademark being denied a patent ??

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl-vegas/us-patent-office-denies-golden-knights-trademark

I presume the team could financially incentivize the school in question to withhold any challenge to this over time. But whether or not this has legtimate legs......and for now, it appears to have more than two of them......I think we can safely assume those legal eagles involved in this effort on behalf of the new franchise are no longer associated with the team.

I'm just making up Kane as a possible trade commodity with Buffalo since the dollars are pretty comparable; I've heard nothing like that at all from the media. Which has nothing to do with the fact I seriously doubt the Pens want any part of him anyway. However, they could theoretically keep him the rest of the season and then expose him if they so chose. Of course, there's no way to know if McPhee would draft him (from the Sabres or the Pens).

But as a damaged (and apparently getting more damaged by the week) player, I see Kane as one of those for whom the Sabres likely will never get what they feel as though he's worth.....based, if nothing else, on what they traded for him in the first place. For the record, Kane has no NTC of any type; meaning he could be exposed by Buffalo (which I seriously doubt they want to do, but might be so forced).

As for Flower, the only thing we know for absolute certain is his NTC (like Sid's and Geno's and others) requires him to be protected in the expansion draft if he's still on the roster. And since teams can only protect one goaltender, the Pens goaltender therefore has to be Fleury.

In the alternative, MAF can agree to waive his NTC.....giving GMJR the ability to move him prior to the deadline (thereby giving them the opportunity to protect MM).....or he can put together a deal whereby McPhee agrees not to grab an unprotected Matt Murray from the Pens. Without either of those situations being in place, the general consensus is that McPhee absolutely will take Murray in the draft; quite possibly as his 1st pick.

Of course, you know all of this already (and are just more worried about getting to Florida than thinking it through) :smiley: But the short answer to your question above is no; if MAF could be left unprotected in favor of Murray, there's little doubt that's precisely what the Pens would do.

Meanwhille, I find myself wondering how privately (and badly) GMJR wishes he could leave somebody like Geno unprotected.
Ah ha! Now I am clear on the details thanks...man alive...this sure is a rock and hard place at the moment! Now I'm understanding just how it looks like we will have to take over another teams problem to 'rectify' this scenario . ...yikes!!!

Speaking of the Vegas expansion draft, have you heard about the team's new nickname/trademark being denied a patent ??

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl-vegas/us-patent-office-denies-golden-knights-trademark

I presume the team could financially incentivize the school in question to withhold any challenge to this over time. But whether or not this has legtimate legs......and for now, it appears to have more than two of them......I think we can safely assume those legal eagles involved in this effort on behalf of the new franchise are no longer associated with the team.
Lol! Ya think they would've done a bit more digging / contact those schools that own these TM's and made a deal? Certainly before announcing things?!?

Let's go Pens!!!!
"T": Pens off to an awesome start with you and the lovely bride getting some nice action in front of you! Keep it up guys!

Well picked the right end didn't we!?! Wow...let's finish them off here with one or 2 more!!!! :boxing:
Man if #30 could have just found the empty net with that great attempt it would have sure been the icing on the cake for you guys!:smiley: Great game nonetheless! Better than the one you witnessed in LA last year.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Well t, you guys surely did see a good game from a Pens' perspective. I think we can all agree the Cats evened-up play a fair bit the last 2 periods (after a first 10 minutes where literally nothing went right). But unless they found a way to score that second goal with the score still at 3-1, they really were never back in it.

I was particularly impressed with Sid's goal; granted, Luongo was totally surprised by it, but I couldn't believe how much Sid torqued that wrister. The shot seemed to hit the twine at the same time as he let it go. I seriously doubt he'll fire another any purer than that the rest of the season.

I surely agree with Euell that it would have been cool if MM could have scored that empty netter. But my perspective from the replay is that even if the heave hadn't been played, it'd have lost steam before reaching the goal (or would have gone wide).

Well t, you guys surely did see a good game from a Pens' perspective. I think we can all agree the Cats evened-up play a fair bit the last 2 periods (after a first 10 minutes where literally nothing went right). But unless they found a way to score that second goal with the score still at 3-1, they really were never back in it.

I was particularly impressed with Sid's goal; granted, Luongo was totally surprised by it, but I couldn't believe how much Sid torqued that wrister. The shot seemed to hit the twine at the same time as he let it go. I seriously doubt he'll fire another any purer than that the rest of the season.

I surely agree with Euell that it would have been cool if MM could have scored that empty netter. But my perspective from the replay is that even if the heave hadn't been played, it'd have lost steam before reaching the goal (or would have gone wide).
I agree wholeheartedly CM. The shot was losing steam and even if it would have gotten that far was headed wide, but it was sure exciting for a second or two.

I agree wholeheartedly CM. The shot was losing steam and even if it would have gotten that far was headed wide, but it was sure exciting for a second or two.
I said to the lovely wife soon as I saw him setting up for it...LOOK LOOK LOOK!! LOL! First time seeing MM live...and also mentioned how BIG he looked in that cage, even compared to Bobby Lou who really isn't too small either!.....nice breezes in the Keys tonight fellas! FIGHTING through Miami traffic was worth it ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: Euell
I said to the lovely wife soon as I saw him setting up for it...LOOK LOOK LOOK!! LOL! First time seeing MM live...and also mentioned how BIG he looked in that cage, even compared to Bobby Lou who really isn't too small either!.....nice breezes in the Keys tonight fellas! FIGHTING through Miami traffic was worth it ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The boys of winter need to finish off this Florida visit by beating the Bolts tonight.

TBL got flat smoked at home on Thursday night by, of all teams, the damned Canucks......so expect them to come motoring out of the room tonight. But if the Pens can hold the fort......or better yet, end the 1P with an lead......maybe the Bolts fold again.

Will also be curious to see who's in goal for Tampa.

Vasilevskiy in the cage tonight; and I wouldn't say I'm surprised.

Lightning get largely outplayed; then that stiff defenseman puts the wood to Sid in the corner (and he didn't look too good lifting himself off the ice).......and they get the lucky double minor on Geno......and even though the Pens doubled their SOG, the Lightning are tied after one.

I'll bet that miserable old fossil Esposito is cheering the fact that one if his hacks gets credit for (possibly) injuring Sid. Lightning are playing it right on the edge tonight; lots of stick work. They better hope the stripes don't start actually paying attention to it the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Don't know about you guys, but I don't think Murray looked too good flopping around on Drouin's second goal......3-1 TBL

At least they're back in the game after the nice Kessel to Geno marker. Still, Murray has given up 3 goals in 14 shots.......not good.

Stripes finally starting to make the Bolts pay for their extra-curricular stuff......'Guins back to the man advantage.

SID with two, and now Geno with HIS second....... Penguins stars have come to play tonight. Hope Murray can make this lead stand....

Guins basically own the 3rd.......VERY satisfying 4-3 win. Sid was excellent, Geno (tonight) was even better. Kessel and Letang had multipoint games, but I thought Hagelin played a very disruptive 2 way game. And Ian Cole dished back absolutely EVERYTHING the big Bolts threw at him.

Saw the first Sid goal on the replays! WHAAAA ?!?!?!?

Well I'm happy to read through the lowdown i've read on up the thread!!!! :cool2:

I admit I myself was actually MORE impressed with the 2 middle goals......Geno's first of the game and Sid's second.....on essentially identical power plays; maneuver into a pseudo-soft area up the slot near multiple defenders, take an absolutely perfect feed, and then unleash textbook one-timers past essentially frozen goaltenders.

Of course, all Sid did on the first is single-handedly out hustle and out muscle the entire Bolts defense; which is something we've actually gotten kind of used to seeing :wink:

ADVERTISEMENT