ADVERTISEMENT

Pens - - DEC 2016

Read on Eklund's board today an opinion that Olli Maatta's fairly significant drop-off this season may be a result of his thyroid cancer surgery. I guess the thyroid supplies oxygen to the cardiovascular muscle, and without it (or proper medication) cardiovascular function can slow.

I think OM's issues were more evident last night than at any other time thus far this season; he appeared to be skating in mud. If that was any indication, I regret to say I personally question his future with the Pens......or as an NHL pro. Let's hope he simply remains stuck in a somewhat extended transition from the surgery, and can improve over time.

Read on Eklund's board today an opinion that Olli Maatta's fairly significant drop-off this season may be a result of his thyroid cancer surgery. I guess the thyroid supplies oxygen to the cardiovascular muscle, and without it (or proper medication) cardiovascular function can slow.

I think OM's issues were more evident last night than at any other time thus far this season; he appeared to be skating in mud. If that was any indication, I regret to say I personally question his future with the Pens......or as an NHL pro. Let's hope he simply remains stuck in a somewhat extended transition from the surgery, and can improve over time.
He has looked slow outta the gate...now I feel bad for cursing him to move his feet the other night....

Daley adds one! Pens looking like this one is well in hand midway through the 2nd.

Rust nets one (actually bounced off of Coyotes' Mike Stone)! Pens lighting up the scoreboard here in the 2nd! Phoenix makes goaltender change.

Pens biggest problem going forward may be keeping MM awake in the net. Coyotes not generating many opportunities since I began watching at start of 2nd.

Reactions: torontoeers
In Ann Arbor tonight and back in Detroit for a couple more nights beginning tomorrow.......and I didn't see a blessed minute of the game. Most cable companies in southern Michigan carry NHLN, but not here in AA :chairshot:

Anyway, if you didn't catch it, Sid's impression of Andrew McCutcheon was the first highlight on the midnight Sportscenter (even before the MNF highlights).

In Ann Arbor tonight and back in Detroit for a couple more nights beginning tomorrow.......and I didn't see a blessed minute of the game. Most cable companies in southern Michigan carry NHLN, but not here in AA :chairshot:

Anyway, if you didn't catch it, Sid's impression of Andrew McCutcheon was the first highlight on the midnight Sportscenter (even before the MNF highlights).
Not such a great impression of Cutch. Sid actually did make contact successfully.

Coyotes looked like a team that given up in mid-December. That effort was awful. Really looking forward to the Rangers game. Put MM in goal, roll four lines, and start distancing yourself from the blue shirts

Bruins in town tonight; after the Cryers/Craps/Rangers/Jackets, the Bruins close out my top 5 most hated teams (with Milan Lucic long gone, it's probably more because of P-b-P man Jack Edwards than anyone else). Hope the Pens bring the same game......well, the 1st and 3rd periods, anyway......as they did Saturday against Tampa.

Speaking of the B's, I think most will agree that (Brad Marchand, not withstanding) Patrice Bergeron is their best player.....and by a reasonable margin. Well, did you realize that, in 27 games, Bergeron has a whopping 4 goals and 4 assists (8 points); good for 10th place in team scoring (behind such luminaries as Austin Czarnik and Tom Schaller) ??

I know there's some thought PB came out of the WCH in something less than good condition; if true, the B's are sure keeping it quiet. Let's hope he wears the collar again tonight. Also, it'll be interesting to see if jackass Backes backs-up his big mouth by running Kessel tonight......this is one of those games I find myself wishing Sestito was dressed.

Stuck in a no-NHLN hotel in Detroit (3rd night this week) tonight; leaving it to you knuckleheads to deliver #7 in a row.

Reactions: Euell
Bruins in town tonight; after the Cryers/Craps/Rangers/Jackets, the Bruins close out my top 5 most hated teams (with Milan Lucic long gone, it's probably more because of P-b-P man Jack Edwards than anyone else). Hope the Pens bring the same game......well, the 1st and 3rd periods, anyway......as they did Saturday against Tampa.

Speaking of the B's, I think most will agree that (Brad Marchand, not withstanding) Patrice Bergeron is their best player.....and by a reasonable margin. Well, did you realize that, in 27 games, Bergeron has a whopping 4 goals and 4 assists (8 points); good for 10th place in team scoring (behind such luminaries as Austin Czarnik and Tom Schaller) ??

I know there's some thought PB came out of the WCH in something less than good condition; if true, the B's are sure keeping it quiet. Let's hope he wears the collar again tonight. Also, it'll be interesting to see if jackass Backes backs-up his big mouth by running Kessel tonight......this is one of those games I find myself wishing Sestito was dressed.

Stuck in a no-NHLN hotel in Detroit (3rd night this week) tonight; leaving it to you knuckleheads to deliver #7 in a row.
Ugh! MM should have been able to stop that one. Pens need to come out of this slumber.

Schultzie!

Man, he's going crazy lately........

About the only thing good about listening to the game on radio (Sirius XM) is that I can hear Mike Lange and 2-9'er. But what really frosts me is this game is tonight's Rivalry Night game on NBCSN......and my damned hotel doesn't carry that channel either :weary:

Man, he's going crazy lately........

About the only thing good about listening to the game on radio (Sirius XM) is that I can hear Mike Lange and 2-9'er. But what really frosts me is this game is tonight's Rivalry Night game on NBCSN......and my damned hotel doesn't carry that channel either :weary:
I love Mike Lange and RB, although I don't hear them much these days. This is a good one! Pens looked much better the latter part of the period. Sorry you are not getting the telecast CM. I always enjoy Doc and Eddie O. Let's Go Pens! P.S.- I hate Brad Marchand! Always have, always will!

Reactions: COOL MAN
I love Mike Lange and RB, although I don't hear them much these days. This is a good one! Pens looked much better the latter part of the period. Sorry you are not getting the telecast CM. I always enjoy Doc and Eddie O. Let's Go Pens! P.S.- I hate Brad Marchand! Always have, always will!

[roll]

7 in a row! Nice finish to an exciting game! Way to go Rust!

Caught none of it either CM...unfortunately! This is becoming quite a little tear they are on now...Schultz with 3 pts? Coming into this season I honestly thought him to be a bit of a wild card...is he finally really starting to deliver on all that promise? The signs are certainly pointing in that direction! Let's keep this thing going!!!

Reactions: Euell
Caught none of it either CM...unfortunately! This is becoming quite a little tear they are on now...Schultz with 3 pts? Coming into this season I honestly thought him to be a bit of a wild card...is he finally really starting to deliver on all that promise? The signs are certainly pointing in that direction! Let's keep this thing going!!!

At this rate, Schultz may end up with a new contract next year comparable to that he signed previously with the Oil.

Now can he repeat this kind of performance with someone else ?? Of course, I don't think the team.....or HE.....or anyone else, for that matter......expects him to end up a 60 point guy this year. But if he ends up scoring, say, around 45-50 points, how can the Pens let him walk without making an honest attempt to resign him at something at least approaching market dollars ??

BTW gents...I was just thinking...my Leaves pals had many a guffaw at the Schultz deal back in February! I seem to remember telling them it was an early mid round pick and the Oil retained quite a bit of salary, thus it was fairly low risk...oh how nice it would be to ask them how they would like their crow served if he pans out till the playoff....just like I did last June !:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

BTW gents...I was just thinking...my Leaves pals had many a guffaw at the Schultz deal back in February! I seem to remember telling them it was an early mid round pick and the Oil retained quite a bit of salary, thus it was fairly low risk...oh how nice it would be to ask them how they would like their crow served if he pans out till the playoff....just like I did last June !:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

With Letang now out of the lineup, I guess Schultz will be moving up to the top PP unit......which means he'll be getting time with Sid, Geno, and Kessel starting tomorrow night at the ACC.

If you didn't see the steam-roller the Stars' Cody Eakin drove over King Henrik the other night, check this out.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eakin-annihilates-lunqvist-with-hit-to-head-video-023426542.html

Former Laffs Asst GM BIll Watters lambasted the Rangers for not going after Eakin, and I'm honestly not altogether sure I disagree with him. Now, the Rangers aren't a big team, and it's not like they're loaded with horses like Columbus, Los Angeles, St Louis, Washington, and a few others around the League.

But in particular, BW took Chris Kreider to task, who is fairly well known to take his own cheapies when the opportunities present themselves (and loves to run smaller opponents). In essence, Watters called him a great big pussy.

UPDATE: LEAGUE SUSPENDS EAKIN FOR 4 GAMES

Last edited:
If you didn't see the steam-roller the Stars' Cody Eakin drove over King Henrik the other night, check this out.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eakin-annihilates-lunqvist-with-hit-to-head-video-023426542.html

Former Laffs Asst GM BIll Watters lambasted the Rangers for not going after Eakin, and I'm honestly not altogether sure I disagree with him. Now, the Rangers aren't a big team, and it's not like they're loaded with horses like Columbus, Los Angeles, St Louis, Washington, and a few others around the League.

But in particular, BW took Chris Kreider to task, who is fairly well known to take his own cheapies when the opportunities present themselves (and loves to run smaller opponents). In essence, Watters called him a great big pussy.

UPDATE: LEAGUE SUSPENDS EAKIN FOR 4 GAMES
Holy jumpin!?! Now that was a helluva cheap shot! I agree with Billy on both counts here...and 4 games? I'm unsure if Eakins has a history in this department but, I've said it more than once and will say it yet again...Get bloody serious on this low brow BS NHL!!! I think when the majority of fans see this brand of headhunting it turns their stomach. No way commissioner Branch of the OHL let's a clown like this off at 4 games, my bet says a dozen minimum! So if the juniors aren't allowed to get away with this nonsense why are the millionaire pro's ? Ownership doesn't give a $hit unless it's their guy, that's why!

And let it be said I'm no Henrik fan either...but nobody deserves that sort of abuse...

Pens haven't found a way to get Budaj scrambling in the crease; of course, the Kings can play themselves a little defense. But you knew this game was going to be a war when they couldn't capitalize on all that PP time in the 1P.

No shock the game ended as it did; broken stick, odd man rush, score......but frankly, I don't think Toffoli has any business scoring on a shot like that in so close. In other words, I'm blaming this loss on MM. As happened so often in the Finals last season, he's beaten under the arm......and it's clear he remains comparatively poor at covering that hole.

Moving on, I wonder if Flower will start in Toronto tomorrow night.....

Well....after ALL THAT....arrghh...I can't be too critical on them tonight after ripping off 7...but...tomorrow is BIG in my neighbourhood! The boys may be a bit tired with the travel and back to back...still no excuse. Although I have a feeling the local sad sacks will be up for the game...
BTW I investigated tickets...$390 US for the cheapest lower? Lmfao...Um....NO!

No shock the game ended as it did; broken stick, odd man rush, score......but frankly, I don't think Toffoli has any business scoring on a shot like that in so close. In other words, I'm blaming this loss on MM. As happened so often in the Finals last season, he's beaten under the arm......and it's clear he remains comparatively poor at covering that hole.

That definitely seems his weak spot...although I can't blame him fully...he was likely bored out of his skull for half the game...our boys had chances they should have buried at least one imo...just WIN tomorrow no matter who's in the hemp hut!!!

Also FYI gents...just registered our 6 man squad for the Lake Scugog Pond Hockey Tourney this eve again, for Feb 4 2017...as 'The Mountaineers '....last year we were flummoxed by the weather, this year looks promising as I stare at 2 feet of snow which is still falling nicely. It will be nice to finally use the new jerseys I had ordered...CM, Euell I have your email and will send you a pic of them, also will try to upload one online for you OM1. My manufacturer expressly told me he could not infringe on trademark, but I made some adjustments lol, I think you will like the result! Last time we were 1 of 3 (some of these teams travel tourney to tourney across country and have a few ex OHL/NCAA players so not TOO bad) and had a great time...especially when we rolled into the local brewery mid day and a couple fellas said 'Here Come The Mountaineers!'....very excited to get on the lake this year! And all fees /proceeds go to a great charity...

http://www.scugogpondhockey.com

Last edited:
Also FYI gents...just registered our 6 man squad for the Lake Scugog Pond Hockey Tourney this eve again, for Feb 4 2017...as 'The Mountaineers '....last year we were flummoxed by the weather, this year looks promising as I stare at 2 feet of snow which is still falling nicely. It will be nice to finally use the new jerseys I had ordered...CM, Euell I have your email and will send you a pic of them, also will try to upload one online for you OM1. My manufacturer expressly told me he could not infringe on trademark, but I made some adjustments lol, I think you will like the result! Last time we were 1 of 3 (some of these teams travel tourney to tourney across country and have a few ex OHL/NCAA players so not TOO bad) and had a great time...especially when we rolled into the local brewery mid day and a couple fellas said 'Here Come The Mountaineers!'....very excited to get on the lake this year! And all fees /proceeds go to a great charity...

http://www.scugogpondhockey.com

Lake SCUGOG [thumbsup] what a fabulous name......one you couldn't possibly find anywhere other than rural Canada. Trying to decide how that's actually pronounced: “SKOO-guhg“ perhaps ??? Curious if you've ever ended up on Hometown Hockey......

Meanwhile, be sure to keep those elbows up in the corners [thumb2]

So, China Doll Carey gives up 4 goals on 18 shots last night......and Therrein just couldn't wait to pull him in the 2nd to protect him from the no-show MT essentially accused his teammates from pulling. In other words, no Al Montoya treatment for China Doll......of course, CD is already being defended this morning as having "glared" at Therrein upon leaving the ice.

Of course, the HNIC crew will also leap to CD's (and MT's) defense tonight because China Doll simply HAS has to be protected in advance of tonight's start versus Washington. I gotta tell you, I've really grown to dislike Price this year...... and this deflector shield the NHL media north of the border has built around him.

According to the morning papers; the Pens don't seem to be all that upset at how last night came down; it appears they feel.......and I honestly don't disagree.....as though they played well enough to win, and the loss was "just one of those things".

We all know goaltenders do single-handedly win games, so this is one you have to grudgingly give to Budaj and then you move on. And Murray....who I do think has shown a fairly level head about these kinds of things.....was candid enough to support my personal assertion the game winner was a bad goal.

Good enough; so let's move on and hope tonight doesn't show the team.....after winning the 7 straight...... is ready to come back somewhat violently to earth, especially with Philly and Columbus continuing their own longer winning streaks.

So, China Doll Carey gives up 4 goals on 18 shots last night......and Therrein just couldn't wait to pull him in the 2nd to protect him from the no-show MT essentially accused his teammates from pulling. In other words, no Al Montoya treatment for China Doll......of course, CD is already being defended this morning as having "glared" at Therrein upon leaving the ice.

Of course, the HNIC crew will also leap to CD's (and MT's) defense tonight because China Doll simply HAS has to be protected in advance of tonight's start versus Washington. I gotta tell you, I've really grown to dislike Price this year...... and this deflector shield the NHL media north of the border has built around him.
I have no doubt this will be the case...the first intermission dinosaur will also likely echo the panelists sentiments in some (likely crass asinine) fashion...
Moreover I also won't be surprised to hear them wax poetic tripping over themselves about the local Pope, and his young padewan learners...Star Wars Jedi reference there sorry lol...although they have for all intents looked like a complete junkpile thus far. The Pope actually seems to make every excuse in the book when his Leaves lose games of late, which actually shocks me just a bit. I guess honesty doesn't come easily for him...hopefully the Pens destroy them this eve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT