ADVERTISEMENT

Pens-Craps

Who ever thought that Ottawa and Nashville would be the 1st in the clubhouse for the conference finals. If pens win tommorow hope there isn't many sens fans in your area. Im sure you take some heat from the maple leaf crowd. I go to the avalanche games decked out in my predators gear. I know i won't have to worry about abuse from the av's fans anytime soon. The one thing the avs have going for them is they have nothing to lose in next months expansion draft. They only have 3 maybe 4 good players so they can protect them. Whoever the Avs lose to Las Vegas would probably make the avs better.
I have to say it's pretty refreshing to get some relatively new blood (especially the Preds ) into these conference finals. My neighbor pal is good friends with Ottawa assistant GM Randy Lee, and visits him quite often, so there is that connection. We have relatives on both sides of wife's and my family that live in Ottawa,area who are pretty excited right now too! A few other Sens fans in my group of friends or locally, but yes the area is fairly dominated by 'Leaves' fans...yes I use the proper pluralization when discussing their team as it proves to be the most surefire way to anger them lol. Anyway I am now even more hopeful for a Pens win tonight since I'm roughly 3 hours from Ottawa (Port Perry, bout 1 1/2 hrs outside Toronto) and would thoroughly enjoy a close road trip to see relatives and cheer the Pens on....need to talk to my neighbor if the good guys win tonight re: tickets! :wink:

Early this morning, Daley doesn't sound promising.....while it sounds like Streit may have been practicing yesterday with more gusto than at other times recently. If he's being considered for tonight, evidently it's not necessarily at Ruhwedel's expense; though I don't know who else they sit (unless Dumo is finally considered too hurt to play).

Also sounds like the forward lines have been thrown in the blender; Sid was said to have been skating yesterday with Rusty and Jake, Geno with Kessel and Kunitz, and Bonino with Sheary and Horndog. That would put Hagelin and someone on the 4th line with Cullen. There's apparently a chance Kuhnhackl may be sat tonight in favor of Carter Rowney.

Hockey is a funny game and momentum can change quickly. The Pens must score early to have a chance tomorrow night. A little puck luck wouldn't hurt. I'm not ready to write these guys off yet though. I'm fully expecting the Pens to play their best game of the playoffs and for Fleury to go beast mode. In the end, the heart of a champion will prevail. I'm calling it boys, Pens win tomorrow night and advance!

In the abstract, I don't disagree with you, RON.......but they just seem so physically overmatched right now that I can't envision them doing what it takes to generate the puck luck they need. As for Flower, I regrettably think we've already seen the best goal he's capable of playing......though another 60 minutes of Game 1, 2 or 4 would obviously help. Tonight would also be a good time for Sid to add a little something more to his career legacy.

Meanwhile, that heart of a champion stuff is pretty hard to measure.....guess we'll see soon enough if they have any of it left.

Reactions: Euell
In the abstract, I don't disagree with you, RON.......but they just seem so physically overmatched right now that I can't envision them doing what it takes to generate the puck luck they need. As for Flower, I regrettably think we've already seen the best goal he's capable of playing......though another 60 minutes of Game 1, 2 or 4 would obviously help. Tonight would also be a good time for Sid to add a little something more to his career legacy.

Meanwhile, that heart of a champion stuff is pretty hard to measure.....guess we'll see soon enough if they have any of it left.

Here are a few reasons the Pens are about to be eliminated

2017 2016
Hagelin 1 goal 6
Bonino 2 goals 4
Kunitz 0 goals 4
Sheary 0 goals 4
Kessel 1 even strength goal 5 even strength goals
Wilson 1 goal -
Kuhnhackle 1 goal 2
Cullen 1 goal 4
Rowney 0 goals -

Last year Kessel took 98 shots in 24 games. So far this year, 34 in 11 games. He just refuses to participate to the level he did last year. While Malkin has 18 points, 7 have come on PP assists. Last year he took 72 shots. So far this year, an anemic 28. His effort level has sucked this whole series. Now I realize the Pens have played the 1st and 3rd best teams in the league so far and two of the biggest hitting teams, but you just flat out can't win when arguably your two best shooters won't shoot and won't go near the cage.

Let's not forget the biggest reason, the two most offensive defensemen are out and injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoeers
Here are a few reasons the Pens are about to be eliminated

2017 2016
Hagelin 1 goal 6
Bonino 2 goals 4
Kunitz 0 goals 4
Sheary 0 goals 4
Kessel 1 even strength goal 5 even strength goals
Wilson 1 goal -
Kuhnhackle 1 goal 2
Cullen 1 goal 4
Rowney 0 goals -

Last year Kessel took 98 shots in 24 games. So far this year, 34 in 11 games. He just refuses to participate to the level he did last year. While Malkin has 18 points, 7 have come on PP assists. Last year he took 72 shots. So far this year, an anemic 28. His effort level has sucked this whole series. Now I realize the Pens have played the 1st and 3rd best teams in the league so far and two of the biggest hitting teams, but you just flat out can't win when arguably your two best shooters won't shoot and won't go near the cage.

Let's not forget the biggest reason, the two most offensive defensemen are out and injured.
Eeesh!!! Now that you've scribed those dreadful numbers out, I think my optimism has dropped to a new low lol! Never know and anything can happen but...WOW.

Before we forget, tonight is likely the last time we see MAF and Chris Kunitz in black and gold. While Kunitz has never been a favorite of mine due to his propensity to take the stupid penalty, I recognize and appreciate the contributions he made especially for the 09 playoff run and Cup win. Unfortunately, age caught him quickly and hasn't been very kind. A great career for an under-sized and under-skilled pro.

What can you say about Marc-Andre Fluery's career in Pittsburgh. One Cup he earned. One Cup he partially earned with a stellar regular season. What a storybook ending it would have been had he carried the Pens to another. He showed this playoff season that there is gas in his tank. Not sure where he ends up, but I wish him only the best.

In addition, I am going to assume Matty Cullen does hang them up. He was one of my favorite Canes when I lived in Raleigh and is one of my favorite Pens. I love his desire. 1366 games played ain't too bad.

Bonino and Daley are UFAs. I have to assume the Pens want both back. They should have room for Daley's earned payday, but he is 33.....The Pens might not want to go out more than a few years and he may want 4 years. A week ago I would have said the Pens try to bring Hainsey back for 1 more year. But the wear and tear of the playoffs exposed his limitations. Streit is gone. Ruhwedel might get another two-way offer. Other than that the core is back.

Murray is back tonight on the bench....now it obviously means little for this game, but I for one am at least relieved that if they can manage to pull this one out , the Pens have a capable backup lying in wait. [thumb2]

Not sure why, but my confidence (or perhaps my enthusiasm is a better word) seems to be on the rise as we approach puck drop. Maybe something totally unfathomable happens; Justin Williams....the Craps' supposed guarantee of survival tonight.....gets checked into the goal post and hurts his knee. Mr Game 7 heads for the locker room, which turns the Craps emotional foundation to balsa wood.

Or not.....I just hope the Pens survive the inital onslaught (and the Craps will certainly have the bulldozer gassed up and ready to roll) and it remains a game into the 2nd period, which causes the noose to tighten around the necks of everyone in Rock the Red. One more thing; watch the stripes to see if they make Tom "Hack" Wilson pay for all the early runs he'll presumably be making.

But, it's the same overwhelmed defense out there for the Pens, and I don't know how they survive unless Flower makes like a brick wall.

Not sure why, but my confidence (or perhaps my enthusiasm is a better word) seems to be on the rise as we approach puck drop. Maybe something totally unfathomable happens; Justin Williams....the Craps' supposed guarantee of survival tonight.....gets checked into the goal post and hurts his knee. Mr Game 7 heads for the locker room, which turns the Craps emotional foundation to balsa wood.

Or not.....I just hope the Pens survive the inital onslaught (and the Craps will certainly have the bulldozer gassed up and ready to roll) and it remains a game into the 2nd period, which causes the noose to tighten around the necks of everyone in Rock the Red. One more thing; watch the stripes to see if they make Tom "Hack" Wilson pay for all the early runs he'll presumably be making.

But, it's the same overwhelmed defense out there for the Pens, and I don't know how they survive unless Flower makes like a brick wall.
I've got Bob Cole again tonight...so at least one thing has gone right thus far! Edit! And NO Don Cherry either! I feel lucky!

Reactions: COOL MAN
Bonino and Daley are UFAs. I have to assume the Pens want both back. They should have room for Daley's earned payday, but he is 33.....The Pens might not want to go out more than a few years and he may want 4 years. A week ago I would have said the Pens try to bring Hainsey back for 1 more year. But the wear and tear of the playoffs exposed his limitations. Streit is gone. Ruhwedel might get another two-way offer. Other than that the core is back.

Like most FA's, I assume Bonino......with an SC ring already on his dresser.....will simply take the highest offer (which I cant imagine will come from the Pens) and say goodbye to Pittsburgh. As for Daley, I'll personally be very surprised if he's back after an (at best) middling 2016/17. Schultz is going to get paid.....though the playoffs may have cost him a little money.....and so is Dumoulin. Since both are RFA's, both will likely return.

Streit might very well retire; I'm sure he's also gone regardless. I believe Hainsey (and Daley, for that matter) could come back on 1-year deals if they agree to GMJR's number. Ruhwedel has probably earned a new deal at $750K-$1.0 million, and I'd guess will re-sign and come to camp with a 3rd pairing job more or less assured.

Craps really didn't threaten the goal that much on the PP; a good sign, at this point, for the Pens ???

Craps still winning virtually every battle at the wall........as has been the case the entire serries.

Kessel needs to start cutting loose when he gets the puck on the half wall (which he won't do) because the Craps are effectively cutting off his passing lanes on the PP.

On balance, no real complaints thus far......certainly their best period (comparatively speaking) of the past five. Still can't get any real pressure on Holtby, though....

Another one they just highlighted was our smart goalie...when the pressure was hot early? Heads to the bench 'oh something is really wrong with my skate???'....well done Flower...well done!

One thing as well, on the faceoffs that have actually been won, our D is missing and turning backward not good....on the whole? Are the good guys in it? Yes they are thusfar! Lets get one early 2nd here....sure as $hit the Craps will say they don't have doubt, but you bet yur ass they do....keep it up!!!

Another one they just highlighted was our smart goalie...when the pressure was hot early? Heads to the bench 'oh something is really wrong with my skate???'....well done Flower...well done!

One thing as well, on the faceoffs that have actually been won, our D is missing and turning backward not good....on the whole? Are the good guys in it? Yes they are thusfar! Lets get one early 2nd here....sure as $hit the Craps will say they don't have doubt, but you bet yur ass they do....keep it up!!!

Emrick and Eddie O picked up on the Fleury skate repair immediately.....meanwhile, the longer the game remains tied, the more the pressure tightens around the Craps neck.

Meanwhile......and while they've been as aggressive in attacking the puck in both ends tonight as in every other game.....you'll note almost zero gratuitous hitting from the Craps tonight. That's probably the reason why the Pens are able to move the puck better than in Game 6.

Penguins small wingers.......Guentzel, Sheary, and Rusty......are getting positivelty eaten alive by the big Craps defense.

And two of the eaten wingers......Jake and Rusty.......convert on a very nice exchange. Of course, the Craps now get the PP opportunity to tie it up....:weary:

Carter Rowney has been very effective tonight.....end to end, probably as good as any Penguins forward thus far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT