ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- April 2017

Pens came out flat footed but laid down the law after the 1st period.

You know, I don't think I agree with you.....and I know HCMS doesn't.

Granted, the Blojax went crazy in the first 5 minutes; but as the period progressed.....and especially in the second 10 minutes.....I myself felt as though the Pens leveled the ice fairly significantly. Meanwhile, Sully was very pointed in the post game in saying he thought that was easily the best 1st period they played thus far in the series, even though it wasn't reflected in the score.

Meanwhile, I just heard Karl Alzner is a game time decision tonight for the Craps.....

UPDATE AT 635pm: ALZNER HAS BEEN SCRATCHED FOR TONIGHT

Last edited:
That little puke Kadri is bangin that douchebag Ovi (who's been bangin a bit himself) and the rest of them around...i'm fine with it.....any way to ensure this entire arena and both teams gets pandemic of food poisoning? I would like that...

Reactions: COOL MAN
You know, I don't think I agree with you.....and I know HCMS doesn't.

Granted, the Blojax went crazy in the first 5 minutes; but as the period progressed.....and especially in the second 10 minutes.....I myself felt as though the Pens leveled the ice fairly significantly. Meanwhile, Sully was very pointed in the post game in saying he thought that was easily the best 1st period they played thus far in the series, even though it wasn't reflected in the score.

Meanwhile, I just heard Karl Alzner is a game time decision tonight for the Craps.....

UPDATE AT 635pm: ALZNER HAS BEEN SCRATCHED FOR TONIGHT
All in all I would say the 1st period was even it really was the only time in the game were one could say that. I think the pens were a bit flat footed the 1st ten minutes of the game.

Preds fans have every reason to be excited over the possibility of finishing off the Hawks at home; and they are a good home team when the crowd is revved up.

The bigger problem.....much like Washington heading to Toronto tonight.....is that the Hawks are good enough to win both games in Smashville and return home this weekend with the series tied. What therefore makes this game even more intriguing is that most everyone is assuming Chicago will win tonight.

Of course, if Rinne keeps pitching shutouts, then that's presumably a good sign for the Preds [smoke] I admit he hasn't impressed me much the past couple seasons, so maybe this old Pekka has returned and is prepared to carry his team in a manner commensurate with the salary he's being paid.
Preds have never been up 3-0 on anyone. The last time Chicago was down 0-2 it was to St louis and they ended up winning 4 straight. Preds went up 2-0 against the ducks last season and ended up losing the next 3 but eventually won in 7

3 OT's in 3 games for the Craps and Leaves...perfect.
Toronto i had NHL center ice this year and anytime I watched a game with a canadian team I always watched it on cbc and sportnet. I like the commentary and for the most part they have the microphones placed in areas where you can hear the fans go ape shit after a goal. I liked watching the oilers and flames games and hearing that horn blast after a goal. The preds game tonight was carried on cnbc and they had the chicago homers doing the broadcast. They must have muted the microphone because the building is much louder than it appeared on tv.

Reactions: torontoeers
3 OT's in 3 games for the Craps and Leaves...perfect.
I just saw the predator games highlights on Sportsnet on Youtube. I wish they were the ones that carried the game last night here in the states. Much better job with commentary and you got a much better sense of the atmosphere with the microphone placement.

I just saw the predator games highlights on Sportsnet on Youtube. I wish they were the ones that carried the game last night here in the states. Much better job with commentary and you got a much better sense of the atmosphere with the microphone placement.
I do like the SN and CBC feeds for the most part like yourself...albeit I could do without Don Cherry at this point, ah hell EVER. It has been his BS bravado political ranting and raving that has always driven me apoplectic, now IMO the game has simply passed by his dinosaur , neanderthal attitude....Sportsnets Kypreos suffers the same disease/affliction too. I could listen to Doug MacLean all day, and appreciate most all of their play by play crews. Jim Hughson with CBC makes more mistakes than I can count, I would still rather veteran broadcaster Bob Cole any day of the week. Hughsons partner Simpson i could take him or leave him.
The usual NBC Wed night crew drives me to drink so to speak , especially Maguire (as the other fellas here know my disdain lol), less is often more, and i find him so LOUD and quite frankly at times ill informed...
Not sure if homerism has to do with it (likely a bit), but 'my' home Root Sports crew I quite enjoy...find them to be measured , knowledgable and fair in their analysis....just my 2 cents....

As for the mics, I seem to service the Jumbo scoreboard an awful lot lately down at the ACC , and you have a point, when walking the boards areas prior to access on ice the number of mics around the board area are quite noticeable. I usually get lower corners close to ice wherever we visit (usually PPG, but have done Fla, LA, and Buffalo recently), and not seen as many. Maybe this is something specific to different styles of broadcast on either side of the border? Not sure...

Congrats on your Preds success thus far...I would be overjoyed to see the Hawks removed from playoff contention!

Meanwhile, while media up here is felating more than ever now about 'the kids' ...barf....has anyone heard, is the Washington media positively skewering the Craps? Cause although the Leaves have been playing very well, they certainly deserve a good amount of admonishment in my eyes....Ah....how nice to see the Craps suffer a wee bit....or perhaps suffer AS USUAL this time of year.:smiley:

I do like the SN and CBC feeds for the most part like yourself...albeit I could do without Don Cherry at this point, ah hell EVER. It has been his BS bravado political ranting and raving that has always driven me apoplectic, now IMO the game has simply passed by his dinosaur , neanderthal attitude....Sportsnets Kypreos suffers the same disease/affliction too. I could listen to Doug MacLean all day, and appreciate most all of their play by play crews. Jim Hughson with CBC makes more mistakes than I can count, I would still rather veteran broadcaster Bob Cole any day of the week. Hughsons partner Simpson i could take him or leave him.
The usual NBC Wed night crew drives me to drink so to speak , especially Maguire (as the other fellas here know my disdain lol), less is often more, and i find him so LOUD and quite frankly at times ill informed...
Not sure if homerism has to do with it (likely a bit), but 'my' home Root Sports crew I quite enjoy...find them to be measured , knowledgable and fair in their analysis....just my 2 cents....

As for the mics, I seem to service the Jumbo scoreboard an awful lot lately down at the ACC , and you have a point, when walking the boards areas prior to access on ice the number of mics around the board area are quite noticeable. I usually get lower corners close to ice wherever we visit (usually PPG, but have done Fla, LA, and Buffalo recently), and not seen as many. Maybe this is something specific to different styles of broadcast on either side of the border? Not sure...

Congrats on your Preds success thus far...I would be overjoyed to see the Hawks removed from playoff contention!

Meanwhile, while media up here is felating more than ever now about 'the kids' ...barf....has anyone heard, is the Washington media positively skewering the Craps? Cause although the Leaves have been playing very well, they certainly deserve a good amount of admonishment in my eyes....Ah....how nice to see the Craps suffer a wee bit....or perhaps suffer AS USUAL this time of year.:smiley:
I think that cbc and sportsnet do a better job in general with the visual and audio. Since the NHL is king in Canada they invest more in the equipment. The sportsnet highlights of the predators game you could tell they had better audio and video. The game was covered on cnbc here and they picked up the comcast sportsnetwork coverage. Comcast is the homer station for the blackhawks. I use to see allot of coachs corner in the 90's with mcclain and cherry. I had mixed feelings about cherry. Sometimes he can be funny. One time he rippd barry melrose calling him a flash in the pan. I like that he took a shot at espn employee. I remember his rants about swedish hockey players. Last time I saw him he really looked like he lost it though.

Good evening from Huntington; will be here for at leasr 2 (and possibly 3) nights this week, and at least this hotel has ther telecast on CNBC.

Just an ominous thought; don't be surprised if the Blojax run Fleury tonight......what better guy to do steamroll him than a jackass who otherwise hasn't donw shit the entire setries; Boone Jenner. And Torts will have no problem if he does it.

Pierre got it right; the Pens need to bring a fair amount more than they showed in the 1st.

From what I can remember.....aside Geno's pseudo breakaway......they didn't generate a single offensive thrust in the period. As we've seen in the first 2.5 games, the period was played almost exclusively in the Pens end, and Bob has been asked to do essentially nothing thus far.

The Blojax also got a couple nice breaks in the period; the Johnson goal off Sid's skate is most obvious, as was Foligno's Oscar worthy performance drawing the penalty (which jump started them for their end of the period rush). And add to that Dumoulin's putrid giveaway leading to the Andersson goal and you have the ideal recipe for a 2-0 deficit.

I was hoping/praying they'd escape the period down only one.....especially since Flower actually played reasonably well...... but that was obviously too much to ask. I realize this is do or die night for Columbus; but is anyone else as PO'd me at the Pens shockingly lackluster effort thus far ??

Pens finally shake things up and get it back within one.......last 5 minutes were their best of the game by a considerable margin.

Kind of a shame Bob appears to have shown up tonight, though it's more because they're having no luck tonight with the shoot-wide-then-play-the-bounce-off-the-boards strategy which has worked so well the first 3 games. When he's standing in the crease, Bob seems almost impossible to beat on a direct shot.....so it's easy to see why they tried the other strategy in Games 1-3.

Regardless, at least they've got the Blojax sweating in the lockerroom; now, if they can only bring it from their room for the 3rd period. Meanwhile, it's about time Schultz and (especially) Sheary finally do something this series.

Pens finally shake things up and get it back within one.......last 5 minutes were their best of the game by a considerable margin.

Kind of a shame Bob appears to have shown up tonight, though it's more because they're having no luck tonight with the shoot-wide-then-play-the-bounce-off-the-boards strategy which has worked so well the first 3 games. When he's standing in the crease, Bob seems almost impossible to beat on a direct shot.....so it's easy to see why they tried the other strategy in Games 1-3.

Regardless, at least they've got the Blojax sweating in the lockerroom; now, if they can only bring it from their room for the 3rd period. Meanwhile, it's about time Schultz and (especially) Sheary finally do something this series.
On my way (racing...well not really but almost) from work to home....think i might make it for the last 5 mins. What kind of asshat lighting consultant is ok with a light test on Pens game night?!?....an F'n Leaves one....arrghh!

Well i got home for the last 10...to the tune of Rimer and Shelley again. Is there a worse play by play in hockey? They are godawful...the Columbus crybaby routine at the glove pass was also amusing. The Quincy lowlight elbow to Guentzels cranium not so much....eliminate this gong show on Thurs Pens!!!!

Reactions: COOL MAN
Just wasn't the Pens night; one of the worst defensive games as a unit I can recall them playing for some time.....forwards couldn't complete a pass, passes bouncing off blades absolutely all evening.......had about 10 icing calls.....couldn't find any open ice whatsoever aside the last 5 minutes of the 2nd. When the best thing that happens was a goal by Hainsey, there's little to be happy about.

Oh, and Jenner scores......and acts like a 4th liner after doing it.

Holy cow the defensive effort of the Pens was just disgusting. Not sure what happened but once the Pens made it 4-3, I was sure they would win only to cough up another goal after a horrible defensive effort. Looks like Fat Phil, after a great game one, is back to his figure skating ways. I fail to see what he brings to the team other than a playmaker on the PP. Not blaming him for the lose at all. Just wishing he would skate a little

Holy cow the defensive effort of the Pens was just disgusting. Not sure what happened but once the Pens made it 4-3, I was sure they would win only to cough up another goal after a horrible defensive effort. Looks like Fat Phil, after a great game one, is back to his figure skating ways. I fail to see what he brings to the team other than a playmaker on the PP. Not blaming him for the lose at all. Just wishing he would skate a little

Not sure if you read some of the Phil stories in the papers the other day; but from what I can glean, HCMS may not be the world's biggest Phil fan......mostly because of his disappearing acts. That, of course, would differentiate him from zero other HC's who've had Phil on their squads. Reading between the lines, it appears he feels PK, with his skating ability, can contribute significantly more on the defensive end even when he's not scoring (or shooting).

OTOH, all outward evidence appears to be that he's adored.....if not downright loved.....by his teammates. His uber-calm, mega-laid back attitude seems to have an unusually powerful positive effect on them; such as, his ability to laugh when Geno sets up his temporary locker in the hall at the ACC when the Pens last visited Toronto.

Of course, he's got zero leadership responsibilities on this roster, which gives him more than enough cover to just show up everyday.....and go home every night.....while walking past the reporters more focused on Sid or Geno or the latest injury report. Really, he's got close to an ideal personal and professional situation in Pittsburgh.

As mentioned (to you, OM, I think) a couple weeks back, I myself have largely made peace with the reality he's what I called an "inconsistent taste"; it's simply not in his DNA to be the consistently driving, star-caliber player everyone wants to see from a guy making $8 million/season. For that reason, he's probably overpaid by something on the order of $2-3 million/season.

OTOH, he comes up with a "wow" play (like his laser beam score in Game 1) just often enough to keep most Pens fans saying "I'm really glad he's on our team". But it's becoming increasingly easy to see how, on the wrong team, he can encounter a fair amount of friendly fire. Unfortunately, he couldn't have picked a worse team on which to sign the lucrative FA contract than those horrible Laffs teams.

As for yours truly.....and I'd characterize myself as a Kessel fan.....I acknowledge that it's pretty obvious he can, at times, come off as frustratingly lazy.

Not sure if you read some of the Phil stories in the papers the other day; but from what I can glean, HCMS may not be the world's biggest Phil fan......mostly because of his disappearing acts. That, of course, would differentiate him from zero other HC's who've had Phil on their squads. Reading between the lines, it appears he feels PK, with his skating ability, can contribute significantly more on the defensive end even when he's not scoring (or shooting).

OTOH, all outward evidence appears to be that he's adored.....if not downright loved.....by his teammates. His uber-calm, mega-laid back attitude seems to have an unusually powerful positive effect on them; such as, his ability to laugh when Geno sets up his temporary locker in the hall at the ACC when the Pens last visited Toronto.

Of course, he's got zero leadership responsibilities on this roster, which gives him more than enough cover to just show up everyday.....and go home every night.....while walking past the reporters more focused on Sid or Geno or the latest injury report. Really, he's got close to an ideal personal and professional situation in Pittsburgh.

As mentioned (to you, OM, I think) a couple weeks back, I myself have largely made peace with the reality he's what I called an "inconsistent taste"; it's simply not in his DNA to be the consistently driving, star-caliber player everyone wants to see from a guy making $8 million/season. For that reason, he's probably overpaid by something on the order of $2-3 million/season.

OTOH, he comes up with a "wow" play (like his laser beam score in Game 1) just often enough to keep most Pens fans saying "I'm really glad he's on our team". But it's becoming increasingly easy to see how, on the wrong team, he can encounter a fair amount of friendly fire. Unfortunately, he couldn't have picked a worse team on which to sign the lucrative FA contract than those horrible Laffs teams.

As for yours truly.....and I'd characterize myself as a Kessel fan.....I acknowledge that it's pretty obvious he can, at times, come off as frustratingly lazy.
I agree with you 100% here...and i suppose it is also because of the charade that happened up this way a few years ago...he strikes me now and even then as a guy who just wants to play, be part of the team, and smoke a cigar or drink a drink if he wants (or eat an entire pizza lol)...who happens to have natural ability beyond the majority. It was the Leaves idiot mgmt at the time choice to give him that contract, and they are on the hook for 1.2 mil of it. I actually feel he's priced just about right for what he brings with them paying that tag....THANKS!.... I was flabergasted at the trade, and was much maligned here right after...HOWEVER your average Leaves fan is a village idiot, they are myopic, the world revolves around them, although... WHY? They think they own the shit yet tonight they got a kick to the gut...and quiet, but only till tomorrow. They have won nothing esentially ever since they have been alive ....yet still they think they are the owners of the game? And they also so predictably throw Fat Phil right under the bus...yesterday they said 'thanks for Kapinen'...tonight they are quiet...i dont get sucked into crap like that after 2 career goals, however I DO REMEMBER how #81 could have easily won the Conn Smythe , in fact he would have been my choice personally, with a slight edge over the winner (deserving no less), and a solid performance by Murray...how is that for a kick to the gut? Your guy gets traded and effectively helps win a Cup (today an almost impossible task) for 'the other guys', I honestly think about that fact often, as I sense it still and it will always eat up the locals here ....81 will show, and perhaps when we least expect it...hell he already did in the first couple games with that laser . Ebbs and flows gents...OM1, I do sympathize with your gripes still....he's one of those guys who is either on or off...lets hope he's ON tomorrow night! Let's go Pens!!! Time to end this....

I agree with you 100% here...and i suppose it is also because of the charade that happened up this way a few years ago...he strikes me now and even then as a guy who just wants to play, be part of the team, and smoke a cigar or drink a drink if he wants (or eat an entire pizza lol)...who happens to have natural ability beyond the majority. It was the Leaves idiot mgmt at the time choice to give him that contract, and they are on the hook for 1.2 mil of it. I actually feel he's priced just about right for what he brings with them paying that tag....THANKS!.... I was flabergasted at the trade, and was much maligned here right after...HOWEVER your average Leaves fan is a village idiot, they are myopic, the world revolves around them, although... WHY? They think they own the shit yet tonight they got a kick to the gut...and quiet, but only till tomorrow. They have won nothing esentially ever since they have been alive ....yet still they think they are the owners of the game? And they also so predictably throw Fat Phil right under the bus...yesterday they said 'thanks for Kapinen'...tonight they are quiet...i dont get sucked into crap like that after 2 career goals, however I DO REMEMBER how #81 could have easily won the Conn Smythe , in fact he would have been my choice personally, with a slight edge over the winner (deserving no less), and a solid performance by Murray...how is that for a kick to the gut? Your guy gets traded and effectively helps win a Cup (today an almost impossible task) for 'the other guys', I honestly think about that fact often, as I sense it still and it will always eat up the locals here ....81 will show, and perhaps when we least expect it...hell he already did in the first couple games with that laser . Ebbs and flows gents...OM1, I do sympathize with your gripes still....he's one of those guys who is either on or off...lets hope he's ON tomorrow night! Let's go Pens!!! Time to end this....
Matter of fact...I will add on to this...you know who owns it? The Pittsburgh Penguins Team first and foremost obviously, their fan support as well and they will all have to try and take it! From what i saw last year and when the boys decide to tune er up this year? I wish them a lot of luck...they're in for the fight of their lives...THAT is what champs say!!! Over and out lol...

Flower lays a turd on the Karlsson goal, then the PP GA..... I'm VERY worried about Flower right now. And the Pens defense (with Dumoulin leading that pack) has picked up their awful play in Columbus.

But what's worse is that I'm stuck watching Rimer and Shelley; always a miserable chore. Meanwhile, Pens are playing like they have no intention of anymore SOG in the 2nd......and now another Blojax PP :scream:

Flower lays a turd on the Karlsson goal, then the PP GA..... I'm VERY worried about Flower right now. And the Pens defense (with Dumoulin leading that pack) has picked up their awful play in Columbus.

But what's worse is that I'm stuck watching Rimer and Shelley; always a miserable chore.
Me too...just gawd awful...i got 50 bucks that asshat Torts has demanded they run Flower...

Not nervous about the win fellas...the good guys will take this one, but I am very nervous we lose an important player to the skullduggery...yes I am...lets get outta here alive!

And all you'll hear from Torts in the post game is how his team got screwed on the call when Wennberg's took off Flower's head. **** him and the horse he rode in on....

Reactions: torontoeers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT