ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- April 2017

Nice to see Scottie Wilson......who probably had more good scoring chances this series than anyone else, including Sid, Geno, and Phil......finally rewarded.

And all you'll hear from Torts in the post game is how his team got screwed on the call when Wennberg's took off Flower's head. **** him and the horse he rode in on....
And....it took him about 5 mins to get to they are a 'good' team...I admit...this one I HAD to watch...'this was not a 4-1 series'???? Since f'n when loser? BAM , BAM, BAM, AND THEN BAM AGAIN YOU F'N BITCH!!!! Suck it up for 5 months and then some!....BTW...you might wanna teach your fellas the game of hockey vs Ultimate Fighting....BURNED!!!! [roll]

Btw...as we know...Sully would NEVER pull that routine...he has class.

Last edited:
Reactions: COOL MAN
And....it took him about 5 mins to get to they are a 'good' team...I admit...this one I HAD to watch...'this was not a 4-1 series'???? Since f'n when loser? BAM , BAM, BAM, AND THEN BAM AGAIN YOU F'N BITCH!!!! Suck it up for 5 months and then some!....BTW...you might wanna teach your fellas the game of hockey vs Ultimate Fighting....BURNED!!!! [roll]

Btw...as we know...Sully would NEVER pull that routine...he has class.

Torts is actually a pretty good front man for a franchise that still has accomplished largely nothing (meaning in the post-season). He's excellent at the "Us vs. Them" approach.....which we Mountaineer enthusiasts so embrace.....for a fan base looking for something on which to grab hold.

And as a practical matter, I don't disagree with his (and everyone else associated with the Blojax) overall assessment that this was not a 4-1 series. Frankly, I thought the series was amazingly similar to the '92 Cup Finals, where the Pens swept the Hawks in a series where the Hawks arguably could have won every game..

The simple fact of the matter (and Torts knows this) is that the Blojax remain an awful physical and style match up for the Pens; that was true 2 months ago, 2 weeks ago, and 2 days ago. Which is what makes the win (and in 5 games) so satisfying. But, Torts is just SO friggin' smug about pretty much everything that you can't root for HIM even if you can find a way to root for his TEAM (which I could never do).

Moving on, the Pens staff needs (IMO) to spend most of their time before the 2nd Round looking in the mirror and figuring out why they gave up so many SOG (and why they're starting so poorly). I've acknowledged the Blojax are......and will continue to be for the near future......a miserable physical match-up, so I'm certain that is/was a big part of it. But I think the basic source of the problem is that the Pens blue line simply isn't that good right now; at least a far sight from what they sent out a year ago.

Obviously, the unit is missing its best (by several magnitudes) player; and this will become more and more evident. But I don't think their best two available D-men played well at all, though Schultzie seemed to pick things up just a bit the last couple games. But Dumoulin was a liability virtually the entire series; Blojax were blowing past him left and right. He was so poor I'm now thinking he's playing with an injury (such as that which sidelined Foligno last night, and likely explains now why he pulled such a disappearing act this series).

Still, a team with any eyes on the Cup can't be giving up 50 shots on home ice, in a game where the emotion should have been on their side most of the way. The Craps have far more forwards who can make them pay than the Blojax; plus the Pens won't have home ice (which is clearly mega-critical as long as Flower is in the net).

Not sure how you do this....or if it's even possible.....but this unit simply has to skate better if they have any chance to repeat. Right now, any unit giving Ron Hainsey (and a now step-or-two-slow Trevor Daley) big minutes is at a disadvantage when skating is key. And Gawd help them, if Mark Streit is forced to play.

OTOH, while the Craps as big as the Blojax, they won't spend anywhere near as much time looking for hits (at least aside Wilson and maybe Orpik). Plus, the Craps will likely come in with less than an ideal mindset, especially if the Laffs can find a way to force them to a Game 7.

And finally, they're going have to keep winning as the favorite by something approaching acclimation, which is obviously already proving to be a problem for them......and that pressure will do nothing but ratchet up against the Pens.

Well...both Ottawa and Toronto managed to F up my eve tonight...ALTHOUGH...i said since about 2 months ago The Sens are the last team I would want to play...i now crave it...it is an easy trip for me , bout 3 hrs, an away rink (I bring big puck luck there fellas), and I have a few Sens buddies (they are ENTIRELY more tolerable than Leaves asshats), the Sens are a strangling D presence...a great challenge for our guys as we have seen all reg season...finish off the B's Sens...and give ole Torontoeers the gift of a playoff roadie down the street to smack you in the teeth and visit some relatives/ friends!!!

DK reporting today that Kunitz and Ruhwedel are possible for the second round, while Murray hasn't skated for 10 days.......and therefore appears unlikely for the 2nd Round......and Hags was seen yesterday in a boot. He was reported to be back skating (though not practicing) about 2 weeks ago; if so, this certainly sounds like anything but good news for his return soon

As for those who played against Columbus, Daley continues to deal with a bad knee, while Kessel was said to have been "banged up" at the end of Game 4. But his 3 points in the clincher is thought to be an indication he's doing OK.

DK reported that Tortorella refused to shake hands after the loss of Thursday, though I myself thought he DID shake at least with some of bench support guys. Anyway, Kovacevic took Torts to the woodshed yesterday, which obviously isn't that tough to if you're on the other side.

One more thing from DK; he reported that Scottie Hartnell......anything but one of his favorite players going back to SH's Philly days.....commented at some point, regarding the emphasis Torts placed on hitting in the series, that "as much as you want to hit them (the Pens)...... I don't think, well, obviously it's not working. Basically, all it does is tire you out.".

Speaking of Hartnell, he's thought to be a player the Blojax would dearly love to eject for cap reasons. But with 2 years $9.5 million and an NTC in hand (meaning he can't be unprotected in the Expansion Draft)......along with rapidly declining skills......he's virtually unmoveable. I've also read.....I think on THN..... that Dubinsky and his absurd 4 years $23+ million remaining deal (plus his own NTC) is going be a major problem on a team with Wennberg (this summer), Atkinson, Karlsson, and Werenski looking for new deals in the next couple years.

One bit of good news for them is they're only stuck for one more year with Jack Johnson's $4.35 million.

I believe I misinterpreted DK's comment about Torts and his lack of a hand shake.

In fact, he DID shake hands with most (or all) of the bench Staff, including HCMS. What he evidently refused to do......and there's no question he made beeline for the locker room after doing so with the Staff......is avoid the on-ice handshake line, presumably because he'd rather have arrows jammed up his ase than shake Sid's hand.

Of all the cement heads who have, over the years, treated Sid like the Game's anti-Christ, I suspect none of them have earned Sid's ire quite as much as Torts. For that reason, I doubt he'll turn down too many future chances to represent Canada in international events where Torts is heading the US bench (which I doubt will happen too much after his abortion in last year's World Cup).

From what I can tell, Sid paused longest in the handshake-line with his old pal, Jack Johnson. However, it appeared as though.....and I could be convinced I'm wrong about this.....he had a sincere good exchange with Cam Atkinson. OTOH, and as you'd expect, he and Dubinsky made the handshake as quick as two players could possibly make it.

Last edited:
DK reporting that Kunitz and Ruhwedel both skated full speed today at practice.

CK is thought to be pretty close to being medically cleared to play, most likely at the expense of either Carter Rowney or Scottie Wilson. Ruhwedel is currently expected to sit awaiting an injury to one of the current Top 6; will be interesting to see if the first D-man out of the press box actually ends up being Ruhwedel or Mark Streit.

Meanwhile, no sign of Hagelin or Murray.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT