ADVERTISEMENT

Pens -- April 2017

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
  • Kunitz LBI, though to have occurred while blocking a shot in last night's 3rd period.....no current timetable on his return.
  • Hainsey takes a maintenance day on Saturday; no one seems to know why after missing the past 2 weeks
  • No sign of Letang this morning at practice
  • It's a very interesting next 3 days in the Metro; tomorrow night, the Pens host Carolina (7-0-3 in their last 10) while the Blojax host Washington. Then, the Pens host the Blojax on Tuesday night.
I'm going to be in Sarasota all week and won't see the game with Columbus; leaving it to you knuckleheads to do better than you did last Wednesday night :sunglasses:

Conor Sheary CAN finish.....43 points his last 43 games; 3-1 Pens (and the Guins are 2 for 2 on the PP)

Conor Sheary CAN finish.....43 points his last 43 games; 3-1 Pens (and the Guins are 2 for 2 on the PP)
I feel pretty good about this one now. Need to kill off this double minor though.

Ok last week of the season. The Jackets are locked in as the first round opponent. No Malkin, No Letang (has he even skated?), No Daley, No Matta, No Kunitz (although since this is his last rodeo at least with the Pens, I assume he plays come hell or high water), and Hagelin out at least through the first round.

Somebody type something that makes me think the Pens can advance at least through round 1.

And Screw the NHL for this absurd playoff format.

Ok last week of the season. The Jackets are locked in as the first round opponent. No Malkin, No Letang (has he even skated?), No Daley, No Matta, No Kunitz (although since this is his last rodeo at least with the Pens, I assume he plays come hell or high water), and Hagelin out at least through the first round.

Somebody type something that makes me think the Pens can advance at least through round 1.

And Screw the NHL for this absurd playoff format.

I was significantly more confident in the Pens ability to beat a better (on paper) Washington last season than I am for them to beat a not-as-talented but tougher Columbus this season. I wish I didn't feel that way, but.,,,,,,aside the size advantage Columbus has, I'm just not sure the Pens can beat the 2017 version of Bob 4 out of 7.

However, the one thing I do know is that the Craps will do anything to see Columbus take the Pens out, because the last thing the Craps need is for the entire Western world (as was the case last season) to pick them over the Pens.....while the Pens sit back and counterpunch their way to victory. What I don't know is who I root for in a Craps/Blojax quarterfinal series; though if I had to pick right now, I'd probably go for Washington.....which shows how passionately I've grown to dislike Columbus and pretty much everything about them.

BTW OE, essentially everyone outside Gary Bettman's office thinks the cuirrent playoff format is lousy,,,,,,if not downright awful.

Congratulations knuckleheads......you guys delivered us a big one tonight.

While you were enjoying what sounded like a nice Pens performance, i was stuck watching one of the most boring games in MLB history; Yanks vs Rays at Tropicana Field.....Yanks won 5-0 and the Rays were never in it :weary::weary:

Remaining schedule:

Pens -- at NJD, at TOR, at NYR
Blojax -- Wpg, at PHL, at TOR

Congratulations knuckleheads......you guys delivered us a big one tonight.

While you were enjoying what sounded like a nice Pens performance, i was stuck watching one of the most boring games in MLB history; Yanks vs Rays at Tropicana Field.....Yanks won 5-0 and the Rays were never in it :weary::weary:
Pretty solid performance. I also enjoyed watching the players give the "shirts off their backs" to selected fans after the game. That is always fun especially when the recipients are kids.

I just read where Letang will have surgery on a neck injury and be out 4-6 months. It's amazing the Pens are where they are in the standings with all of the injuries they have sustained. Having said that, keeping the cup in Pittsburgh appears to be a monumental task.

Anybody have the odds on the Pens chance to repeat without Letang......I'd say near zero.

On paper, you're probably pretty close to dead on.....if they're to beat both Columbus and Washington before the conference finals, you'd think they're going to have to play pretty close to the best they've played all season. And, without their best and most important D-man, that's mighty tough to envision.

Meanwhile, if I'm not mistaken.....and I heard a grand total of about 5 minutes of the game on XM (on my last night tonight in Florida) so this may be well confirmed.....I believe the Pens clinched home ice advantage in the 1st Round with their win over NJ and the Blojax devastating home loss to a done Winnipeg team.

Hopefully, the Blojax continue their fold the rest of the way and come into next week having lost 7 of their last 8 (or something like that). I also can't wait to hear the inevitable reports from Columbus that the team is turning on Torts because the more they lose, the more Torts will take it out on them publically.

On paper, you're probably pretty close to dead on.....if they're to beat both Columbus and Washington before the conference finals, you'd think they're going to have to play pretty close to the best they've played all season. And, without their best and most important D-man, that's mighty tough to envision.

Meanwhile, if I'm not mistaken.....and I heard a grand total of about 5 minutes of the game on XM (on my last night tonight in Florida) so this may be well confirmed.....I believe the Pens clinched home ice advantage in the 1st Round with their win over NJ and the Blojax devastating home loss to a done Winnipeg team.

Hopefully, the Blojax continue their fold the rest of the way and come into next week having lost 7 of their last 8 (or something like that). I also can't wait to hear the inevitable reports from Columbus that the team is turning on Torts because the more they lose, the more Torts will take it out on them publically.
That was my understanding also that they clinched the home ice advantage for series with Columbus.

Yo! Hello gents...just back from Grand Bahama...and yes the weather was amazing lol...Anyway...thanks a lot once again Sestito you freakin ASS! Can anyone explain to me why this meathead is in the lineup right now? There is no one else? I like tough play on my team not cheap shot, dumbass maneuvers at the worst possible time ...jettison this IDIOT!

Excellent...just excellent....taking it on all angles tonight up here....their bravado is big it seems, they have already won the Cup? Can we rely on these Pens minus Letang to extricate anyone (especially the Leaves), at this point? Cause they should have pounced tonight and looked simply awful when presented opportunity imo....DO NOT EMBARRASS ME PENS VS THESE LEAVES IF THE OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS.....JUST DON'T!

Yo! Hello gents...just back from Grand Bahama...and yes the weather was amazing lol...Anyway...thanks a lot once again Sestito you freakin ASS! Can anyone explain to me why this meathead is in the lineup right now? There is no one else? I like tough play on my team not cheap shot, dumbass maneuvers at the worst possible time ...jettison this IDIOT!

Regarding TS in the lineup, I was wondering that myself until I realized they sat so many regulars (Horndog, Rusty, Bonino, and others) last night and they simply needed the bodies.

While I wish the incident didn't happen......and Sestito obviously WAS involved.....I myself didn't feel as though it was a dirty play judging from the replays I saw. To my eyes, Sestito was simply pursuing the play from the back side and took the straightest possible line.....which took him right through a shrinking void between the goaltender and the D-man which he tried to beat (rather than avoid).

Now, I don't know if he DID get his elbow up (I don't think so), or if he otherwise made contact with FA's head (probably). But I myself think it was a regrettable result of a hockey play. I also know that if the injury happens to YOUR guy.....and how many times have WE seen this happen to Pens players...... the opponent involved in the contact simply MUST be blamed.

Reactions: torontoeers
Regarding TS in the lineup, I was wondering that myself until I realized they sat so many regulars (Horndog, Rusty, Bonino, and others) last night and they simply needed the bodies.

While I wish the incident didn't happen......and Sestito obviously WAS involved.....I myself didn't feel as though it was a dirty play judging from the replays I saw. To my eyes, Sestito was simply pursuing the play from the back side and took the straightest possible line.....which took him right through a shrinking void between the goaltender and the D-man which he tried to beat (rather than avoid).

Now, I don't know if he DID get his elbow up (I don't think so), or if he otherwise made contact with FA's head (probably). But I myself think it was a regrettable result of a hockey play. I also know that if the injury happens to YOUR guy.....and how many times have WE seen this happen to Pens players...... the opponent involved in the contact simply MUST be blamed.
As Leaves friends were losing their minds last night and I expressed my displeasure at the entire event, I reminded them how that little shithead Komerov basically rearranged Letangs face into the boards last year just before the playoff...I remember it vividly. Funny how they didn't eh?....Crickets from them...

Reactions: COOL MAN
The League obviously doesn't find the first 4 games of the Blojax-Pens to be very compelling; south of the border, Game 1 is on USA Network, Game 2 on NHL Network, and Games 3&4 are on CNBC. In Canada, Games 1/3/4 are on SN360 with Game 2 on Sportsnet (while all 4 are on TVA).

TV for Games 5-7 of all 1st Round series show TBD.

Trying to decide who (aside the Pens, of course) are is most in danger of a 1st Round upset.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking it's Minnesota. They were among the worst teams in the League in March, before recovering to win 4 in a row last week; of course, those wins were over Colorado (2), Arizona, and Carolina (who collapsed in April, losing 5 of 6). Plus, I don't think any goaltender in the business fell off the cliff as much as Dubnyk, who seemed virtually unbeatable the first 2/3 of the season.

As for the Pens, it appears the Blojax recent losing streak has understandably taken much of the shine of their rose with the media; most every analyst I've read thus far is picking Pittsburgh. Interestingly, some accounts seem to feel the Pens actually have the advantage in goal, given (mostly, I think) to Bob's comparatively little playoff experience.....along with the fact he's been as middling the past few weeks as he's been all season.

It's admittedly a story which still needs to be written, but it wouldn't bother me in the least to see both Murray and Werenski miss the series.....and pay Torts and the Blojax back for their virtual injury-less regular season. From that standpoint, the Craps probably deserve to lose a half dozen or so starters for that same reason.

Speaking of Columbus, it's too bad the Leaves couldn't hold it together against them yesterday, which would have left the Craps to deal with Brad Marchand's stick in the 1st Round. But even if the Craps beat them 4-straight, the League media will spend the entire summer fawning.over St Lou, Pope Mike, Matthews, and all those precocious Toronto kids (that is. when they're not fawning over the McDavid and the Oil).

With the possible exception of a Cup in Washington......who the media seems to be widely pulling for among Cup favorites (if for no other reason, because they so universally despise Pittsburgh)......this is not going to be a very good summer if you're looking for coverage on any team outside Edmonton or Toronto.

Interesting little factoid from this morning's paper about the Pens and GMJR; among players who will dress tomorrow night.....which obviously doesn't include Letang.....only Sid, Geno, and Flower are left from the team who dressed against Columbus in the 2014 playoffs. The point was to illustrate the extent to which Rutherford has changed the team since replacing Ray S.

Interesting little factoid from this morning's paper about the Pens and GMJR; among players who will dress tomorrow night.....which obviously doesn't include Letang.....only Sid, Geno, and Flower are left from the team who dressed against Columbus in the 2014 playoffs. The point was to illustrate the extent to which Rutherford has changed the team since replacing Ray S.
Although skeptical at first, I am very impressed with what GMJR has done to build this team. Winning the cup last year and, despite a crazy amount of injuries, still near the top this year has been remarkable. Of course, a big piece of the puzzle has been Coach Sully! While a repeat is very difficult to achieve, even with the injuries I would not discount these boys doing just that. If they can dispatch Columbus and end up playing the Caps again it could be an ultra-exciting series!

If I heard this correctly on NHLN Radio today, Marc Methot......the Sens D-man who lost his entire right arm (and right testicle) from Sid's chop......might be ready to play this weekend. Not exactly the months of time lost to injury everyone and everything associated with the Sens was talking about.

Meanwhile, with Geno now officially in the lineup for Game 1......Maatta and Daley already playing......and Hagelin finally back on skates again......it appears the team will be back close to full strength in the next week, with only Letang and Kunitz (who they could really use against both the Blojax or Craps) missing.

Myself, I'm worrying about Murray's condition. I wouldn't be necessarily alarmed if Flower had to play, but I'd prefer a good-feeling and confident MM in the cage tomorrow night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT