ADVERTISEMENT

Pens 2017/18 Drop the puck! October.

DLVyyVdXkAEZO1H.jpg

3 GA in a minute and a half.....Pens looking like a lottery team thus far.

And I switch over Bam 81...and then a seeing eye shot by Kane on Murray going down just a wee little bit early. Helluva shot.

Did MM get the start? If so why is he still in the hemp hut? ....back to football...

We knew we would take some lumps this season with the amount of loss we sustained in the off season, but 10-1 is brutal.

We knew we would take some lumps this season with the amount of loss we sustained in the off season, but 10-1 is brutal.

Best line I read after Chicago was that the writer (whoever it was) said perhapsThursday night beat the Stanley Cup out of the Pens for good. So then, it's Preds tonight.....on paper, it should be a fun game, but I have no idea what to expect.

You'd figure the champs to come out strong on their home ice with something to prove, but they only played 20 good minutes on that surface the night of the banner raising......though, most observers weren't shocked they didn't play well given the festivities. But though the Pens typically don't show well against Chicago.....and particularly in the United Center.....Thursday was such an abortion that it's almost got to have some residual affect even on a team this veteran.

Regardless, when you're having so much trouble in your own end of the ice......especially on the blue line, but in goal as well......it's hard to know what it's going to take (and how long) to turn things around.

Reactions: DocEER
Nice start at 1:06 of the 1st with Geno, who's apparently decided to join the team here in Game 3. No surprise to me that Laviolette is protecting Rinne tonight in the Preds goal.

Meanwhile, interesting that Bonino is centering the 3rd line for Nashville; I thought for sure he was being paid $4 million+ to play their 2nd line.

A Josi PP slapper mashes Cole right off the mouth. Was gushing red all over the ice......left under his own power, but he could be fairly seriously injured.

2-0 after one......Murray made couple solid (if not necessarily great) saves. Looks pretty solid tonight thus far.

Ryan Reaves squares off against big Austin Watson.....Reaves scores a TKO on what proved to be a mismatch. Watson may not be among the game's better fighters, but there's no question whatsoever that Reaves is someone NOT to be trifled with.

Hartnell also took a few digs at him early in the game, and Reaves was fairly non-plussed about the whole idea.

Reaves tips a Maatta shot (one their few of the period) from the point at 12:52......3-0.

Maatta makes it 4-0 in the first minute of the 3rd period

Cody McLeod decides to take on Reaves and gets HIS arse kicked just like Watson.

Last edited:
4-0 final......garbage 3rd period; some dirty shots by Hartnell and Arviddson, Pens responded. One more comment about the Preds; they don't have too many offensive threats. Had a fair number of decent-good chances, but Murray wasn't terribly challenged on ANY of them. You barely heard Johansen's NAME tonight, and he's their best scorer.

I have a feeling they're going to miss Nose Candy Neal.....

Reactions: DocEER
4-0 final......garbage 3rd period; some dirty shots by Hartnell and Arviddson, Pens responded. One more comment about the Preds; they don't have too many offensive threats. Had a fair number of decent-good chances, but Murray wasn't terribly challenged on ANY of them. You barely heard Johansen's NAME tonight, and he's their best scorer.

I have a feeling they're going to miss Nose Candy Neal.....
Outside of the Capitals, there is not a team I despise more than the Predators. I view them as an engineered hype machine. A lot of playoff coverage was dedicated to them and their fans. Nothing was greater than beating that ass on their home ice. I hope Nick B is happy with his choice.

Reactions: COOL MAN
Outside of the Capitals, there is not a team I despise more than the Predators. I view them as an engineered hype machine. A lot of playoff coverage was dedicated to them and their fans. Nothing was greater than beating that ass on their home ice. I hope Nick B is happy with his choice.

There's no question the Preds didn't convince too many their Finals run last wasn't an accident, as most observers......if NHLN Radio was an indicator......liked Chicago (and everyone on that network is obsessed with St Louis) to finish at the top of that division this season

I don't have any issue with Bones chasing dollars; he's been a fringe guy his whole career, and this will almost assuredly be THE best contract he ever signs. However, I still feel like it has similar, though certainly not identical, optics as when Marian Hossa passed on Mario's money in favor of Mike Illich's. FWIW, my personal issue this season remains with Matt Cullen, and how he jerked around the Pens all summer when it (IMO) turned how he really never had ANY intention of resigning in Pittsburgh.

Probably my biggest issue with Bonino is that he's just never has come off as being as appreciative as I'd like of his two rings as he's been of his new contract. Of course, part of it admittedly is that.....much like criticisms by Sid-haters....he just isn't a very compelling media personality.

There's no question the Preds didn't convince too many their Finals run last wasn't an accident, as most observers......if NHLN Radio was an indicator......liked Chicago (and everyone on that network is obsessed with St Louis) to finish at the top of that division this season

I don't have any issue with Bones chasing dollars; he's been a fringe guy his whole career, and this will almost assuredly be THE best contract he ever signs. However, I still feel like it has similar, though certainly not identical, optics as when Marian Hossa passed on Mario's money in favor of Mike Illich's. FWIW, my personal issue this season remains with Matt Cullen, and how he jerked around the Pens all summer when it (IMO) turned how he really never had ANY intention of resigning in Pittsburgh.

Probably my biggest issue with Bonino is that he's just never has come off as being as appreciative as I'd like of his two rings as he's been of his new contract. Of course, part of it admittedly is that.....much like criticisms by Sid-haters....he just isn't a very compelling media personality.
Understood. I’m a guy that is all about team process. Knowing your roll and executing that role. Bonino seemed to be that type of guy. Understand about wanting to make some coin, especially since he already has 2 rings.

What was the back story with Chris Kunitz? He seemed to love playing with Sid, but was that all fluff? He appears to have made a solid move in choosing Toronto, they appear top knotch out of the gate.

What was the back story with Chris Kunitz? He seemed to love playing with Sid, but was that all fluff? He appears to have made a solid move in choosing Toronto, they appear top knotch out of the gate.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, Doc, Kunitz actually signed with Tampa, which means he's facing his old team this week.

I get the impression the Pens did not offer him a contract, or else offered him little more than the League minimum. I believe he signed a 1 year deal with TB for $2 million (plus perhaps another million in incentives)......which was roughly half his previous deal.

I myself thought there was a strong chance he'd retire after last year; but if somebody really wants you, we all know most players will go kicking and screaming (see Jaromir Jagr and Jarome Iginla). And Tampa isn't exactly the worst spot to wrap things up.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, Doc, Kunitz actually signed with Tampa, which means he's facing his old team this week.

I get the impression the Pens did not offer him a contract, or else offered him little more than the League minimum. I believe he signed a 1 year deal with TB for $2 million (plus perhaps another million in incentives)......which was roughly half his previous deal.

I myself thought there was a strong chance he'd retire after last year; but if somebody really wants you, we all know most players will go kicking and screaming (see Jaromir Jagr and Jarome Iginla). And Tampa isn't exactly the worst spot to wrap things up.
I meant Tampa. The phone autocorrected the city.

Late day news from Pens camp......

--HCMS reports that Ian Cole looks better today than he expected. He's definitely out for WED 10/11 at Washington, presumably THU 10/12 at Tampa, and I myself would guess SAT 10/14 at home versus Florida. My guess is they're hoping to have him back a week from tomorrow (TUE 10/17.....incidentally, my 25th anniversary) at the NYR wearing the same kind of full face shield as Sid was wearing a couple years ago. Meanwhile, next up for the Pens defense is Chad Ruhwedel.

--Horndog is reportedly a possibility for WED in Washington, but it'll be a gametime decision. Was said to have skated today in practice with McKegg and Archibald. Also, aside the three road games in the next 8 days, they also play at Florida on 10/20 and again at Tampa on 10/21.

Been outta the loop for a month or 2 fellas, so I likely don't deserve to create the season opening thread but....tough bananas [banana] lol....RAISE THE BANNER! Drop the puck and get the 3peat !!!! Lets Go Pens!

Sheesh....seems like literally yesterday they lifted the mug....
Toronto I took the plunge and purchased partial season tickets to the avalanche. I was an original season ticket holder for the predators from1998-2003. The run they had last year got me motivated to get back into the game. I got a 20 game pack in the club level. The 1st home game is today against the Bruins. I will be there On 11/16 when the crappes and ovie come to town I will be there On 12/18 when Crosby and the pens come to town. I also have tickets to see The leafs and Oilers and most of the other marquee teams on the slate. The avs have started hot will see how long that lasts. The preds have struggled in there 1st 3 games. I am worried about the goal tending situation. They have given up 13 goals in 3 games. That has got to change. Anyone who knows hockey knows if it doesn't then its sure to guarantee a ticket to the golf course come the 1st week of april. I'm sure there was panic the night the pens played the Black hawks. I guess when your team goes to the cup you expect them to just pick up where they left off. I know doesn't work that way in pro sports. I'm glad the season is here and glad to be in the seats again. It's always fun in the stands as opposed to TV.

BTW Bonino got one tonight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT