ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12, not Big 12, in danger of dropping off the radar

So we should extol a conference that hasn't won a national title longer than any other P5 conference. It Pac-12 is so great, why hasn't it won the national in forever?

You are odd to disagree with lol. Didn't know I was "extolling" the PAC 12 or saying it was great. If you truly were ever in media as you have claimed in the past, you would understand my point...it is about eyeballs and regional and local interest. If you truly believe that So Cal, Stanford or Oregon, for example ,will not be a P5 survivor then your presumed media experience must have been confined to a local pennysaver. Come on man.

So we should extol a conference that hasn't won a national title longer than any other P5 conference. It Pac-12 is so great, why hasn't it won the national in forever?
So winning a national title in 2005 is great? Its only 1 year less than the pac 12. The pac 12 has played for more national championships in recent memory than the big 12. They have made the playoff 2-3 years of existence while the big 12 has only made it 1-3. Are you on the big 12 payroll? You tried to find a way to rationalize 4 teams from the big 12 getting to the final four which never had a chance. Im curious if the pac 12 were to win a national championship what would your next big 12 homer thread be about?

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
You make good points, of course, but the Pac-12 is in serious danger of losing ground to the other Power 5 conferences. The Big 12 demise is promoted by other conferences who feel the Big 12 breathing down their

You lost your credibility with that statement.
Im not sure I follow when you say the pac 12 is in danger of losing ground to the other power 5 conference. I live in pac 12 country and the conference has definitely had its struggles but they haven't been any worse than that of the big 12's. There teams have played for more titles recently than big 12 teams have. As long as wvu is in the big 12 I will always root for the conference but I'd say that the future of the big 12 is more uncertain that that of any other conference at this point.

5 of 10 B12 teams ranked to start the year. 4 of 14 B10 teams ranked to start the year. Drops the mic.
All 4 of those teams are in the top 10 homer. The pac 12, Big 10 and Acc all have 2 teams ranked higher than Oklahoma. The highest ranked team in the big 12 is lower than that of any of the other power five conferences. You don't have to worry the big 12 won't have any teams in the top ten when Ohio state stomps Oklahoma. The majority of the big 12 teams will fall out of the top 25 when they get smoked in OOC play like usual.

All 4 of those teams are in the top 10 homer. The pac 12, Big 10 and Acc all have 2 teams ranked higher than Oklahoma. The highest ranked team in the big 12 is lower than that of any of the other power five conferences. You don't have to worry the big 12 won't have any teams in the top ten when Ohio state stomps Oklahoma. The majority of the big 12 teams will fall out of the top 25 when they get smoked in OOC play like usual.
You mean smoked like the B10 got smoked in bowl season? Just wondering?

Great rebuttal Spooky, and spot on. Stills is not smart enough to look at the poll, and digest what it's truly saying. He only sees 5 > 4, despite the 4 being #2, #6, #9, #10. That's power right there. That's huge. That's B1G.

Great rebuttal Spooky, and spot on. Stills is not smart enough to look at the poll, and digest what it's truly saying. He only sees 5 > 4, despite the 4 being #2, #6, #9, #10. That's power right there. That's huge. That's B1G.
LOL 4 good teams beating up on lightweight competition. I am smart enough to see that little bitch.

And you have 5 half ass teams beating up on 5 horrible teams. You're not smart enough to see that. I'm not sure why Spooky waste his valuable time with you.
I see that Doc did not vote for MVU this preseason. Even he knows how bad you guys suck. I am pretty sure spooky's time is worth minimum wage at best.

You are odd to disagree with lol. Didn't know I was "extolling" the PAC 12 or saying it was great. If you truly were ever in media as you have claimed in the past, you would understand my point...it is about eyeballs and regional and local interest. If you truly believe that So Cal, Stanford or Oregon, for example ,will not be a P5 survivor then your presumed media experience must have been confined to a local pennysaver. Come on man.
I agree that all those schools will survive in P5. But I'm talking about pecking order for the conferences and Pac-12 is in serious danger on that one. The conference that has gone the longest without a national title, even with the schools you named in the league. If those schools are so great, then why haven't they won a national title in forever? Big 12 has since Pac-12 did. And made 6 national title games since Pac-12 had a national winner. For the record my "local pennysaver" newspapers in my career were Pulitzer Prize winners (6 or 8 of them; I lost track).

I agree that all those schools will survive in P5. But I'm talking about pecking order for the conferences and Pac-12 is in serious danger on that one. The conference that has gone the longest without a national title, even with the schools you named in the league. If those schools are so great, then why haven't they won a national title in forever? Big 12 has since Pac-12 did. And made 6 national title games since Pac-12 had a national winner. For the record my "local pennysaver" newspapers in my career were Pulitzer Prize winners (6 or 8 of them; I lost track).

The reason you are getting a lot of disagreement is that you aren't being clear on your position. Are you simply arguing for prestige rankings, or fundamental existence of the conferences? If you are simply arguing about prestige rankings, then your argument is somewhat more solid. (Although, since the national titles, in 2004/2005, each conference has made the title game twice. Your assertion that the Big 12 has made 6 title games since 2004 is incorrect.)

However, if you are talking about survival of the conference, the national championship drought has little to do with that. The Pac 12's survival is simply not in danger. They have decent sized media footprint (larger than the Big 12), they have several high profile schools (Southern Cal, UCLA, etc.), and they are somewhat isolated geographically, meaning nobody is realistically going to poach on of their schools. Plus, they have a good TV contract, and a conference network (modest as it may be). They simply have all the fundamentals in place to assure their survival. That's a completely different question than which conference is performing the best.

You mean smoked like the B10 got smoked in bowl season? Just wondering?
The big 12 was irrelevant during the bowl season. Oklahoma ends playing an 8-4 team from the sec which had a down year last year. But the big 12 champ proved it wasn't worthy of better competition when it can't even beat a weak Houston team that couldn't beat a service academy. They also failed to beat an Ohio state team that didn't even win the big 10 on there home field. Im sure you forgot about homer.

I'm sorry Cuyahoga but a true journalist wouldn't write something so flimsy as that...even on a forum. Using your obtuse logic then WVU has never been, and is not now, a true P5 player...based on zero football national championships.
Try this one for size:

OK, let’s compare the payout per member schools of the P5 conferences:

Big 12 $28.9 million PLUS schools keep 3rd tier money, which in WVU’s case comes to $35 million, more for Texas and Oklahoma.

Pac-12 $28.7 million (which includes 3rd tier rights)

ACC $22.1 million

So WVU got about $6 million more than every Pac-12 school. Does that sound like a conference in trouble?

SEC and Big 10 clearly are ahead of the other 3 Power 5 conferences in payouts.

Please don't even think of sending the Jacobs feller to the pickle farm Warez...he is a disruptive force...leave him over at Heinz field on Saturday's with his friend Spooky. Let the two bozo's pick tomatoes instead at halftime...thank you.

Good to hear from you weirdo

Reactions: Spookycat2002
THIS ...

And just for the record, this thread amongst many others proves Greg is a first class jerk...not to mention his little insane clown posse Spookmiester following his ass around everywhere for crumbs...

Why did you chime in loser? What did I do to you? Go back to Canada fool.

And you have 5 half ass teams beating up on 5 horrible teams. You're not smart enough to see that. I'm not sure why Spooky waste his valuable time with you.

Practice! 5-0 is the walk on practice dummy. 5-0 gives Spooky the chance to sharpen his skills.

Greg, Greg, Greg. Ol' Johnny one-sour-note. Can't wait for real games so I can enjoy my time in Mountaineer Field or in front of my Ohio TV set for the road games. But you provide entertainment till that happens. Now if I can only stop laughing at your posts.

Greg, Greg, Greg. Ol' Johnny one-sour-note. Can't wait for real games so I can enjoy my time in Mountaineer Field or in front of my Ohio TV set for the road games. But you provide entertainment till that happens. Now if I can only stop laughing at your posts.

Hey you have a good perspective! But you're also a flaming Big12 homer hahaha

Please don't even think of sending the Jacobs feller to the pickle farm Warez...he is a disruptive force...leave him over at Heinz field on Saturday's with his friend Spooky. Let the two bozo's pick tomatoes instead at halftime...thank you.

TorontoEERs....................calm down ole son! The pickle farm is gonna run this year with everyone being on high production! We can't afford no down time trying to figure out where the hired help is! Jake and the Spooky One gonna be packing the catsup bottles over at the Heinz factory for minimum wage. Remember when I sent The Paper Boy down to Cucumber for a trail run? Well, to refresh yo memory.............The Paper Boy hid his work gloves down in up under his work boots and you had to send him back to his bride. No sir, we don't make the same mistake twice. Now, when are you gonna be ready to send Holgs his sampler bucket? Warez Ain't I a good looking feller .....in my new hat?

Reactions: torontoeers
TorontoEERs....................calm down ole son! The pickle farm is gonna run this year with everyone being on high production! We can't afford no down time trying to figure out where the hired help is! Jake and the Spooky One gonna be packing the catsup bottles over at the Heinz factory for minimum wage. Remember when I sent The Paper Boy down to Cucumber for a trail run? Well, to refresh yo memory.............The Paper Boy hid his work gloves down in up under his work boots and you had to send him back to his bride. No sir, we don't make the same mistake twice. Now, when are you gonna be ready to send Holgs his sampler bucket? Warez Ain't I a good looking feller .....in my new hat?
Special smash the V Tech Turkeys batch just made their way out the door, Jake wanted to deliver, I said no, too important son...very angst ridden like the paperboy, and we can't have that...the new Tejas hat...I like it...yes sir...

Current Big 12 teams have been in 6 national title games, winning 2, in the past 17 years. That’s 35% of the time. Hardly a C-USA conference.

Texas lost to Alabama in 2009.
(LSU, Notre Dame did, too, in other years.)

Oklahoma lost to Florida in 2008.

Texas won national title in 2005 by beating Southern Cal.

Oklahoma lost to Southern Cal in 2004.

Oklahoma lost to LSU in 2003.

Oklahoma won national title in 2000 by beating Florida State.

Oklahoma was in 3 national title games in 5 years.

Pac-12 is the conference that really is in trouble today. And this is a conference that hasn't won a national title since 2004, the longest drought by any Power 5 conference.

This is the dumbest argument posted to date by you.....

I think the biggest misconception from the "my conference is better than your conference" crowd is that they think what happens on the field matters in the general college sports landscape. The reality is, it would take a near unheard of stretch of awful (like 20 years) for an entire conference to even begin talk of "stripping P5 status". Think of how hard that would be, in terms of Big XII it means Texas and OU would need to be down for 20 years without any schools like WVU, BU, oSu, KSU etc filling the void. In addition, even if a conference was in such a funk and a conference like the MWC or CUSA or whoever had schools constantly challenging the P5 elite, then the weakling P5 conference would clearly just poach those top schools to stop the PR bleeding. So it's basically worthless to get all worked up over conference nonsense. The chips will fall where they will regardless of bowl game results, how many times x conference has played for or won national titles in timeframe z.

I chimed in cause I'm the unsilent majority big mouth...now go get that Spooky fella off your backside already sPitt troll...it's an embarassing display...

Embarrassing? Typical Big12 homer that can't deal with reality or facts haha. Go back under your unsilent majority rock clown boy. You speaking for the WVU majority............baaahahahaha! Hahahahaha! LOL!

I think the biggest misconception from the "my conference is better than your conference" crowd is that they think what happens on the field matters in the general college sports landscape. The reality is, it would take a near unheard of stretch of awful (like 20 years) for an entire conference to even begin talk of "stripping P5 status". Think of how hard that would be, in terms of Big XII it means Texas and OU would need to be down for 20 years without any schools like WVU, BU, oSu, KSU etc filling the void. In addition, even if a conference was in such a funk and a conference like the MWC or CUSA or whoever had schools constantly challenging the P5 elite, then the weakling P5 conference would clearly just poach those top schools to stop the PR bleeding. So it's basically worthless to get all worked up over conference nonsense. The chips will fall where they will regardless of bowl game results, how many times x conference has played for or won national titles in timeframe z.

Good post

Maybe you should get a dictionary homer and look up the words Idiot and Liar. You have never been and idiot? Not true you are one. Another light weight post from and obsessed teenage drama queen.
Says the poster who comments on every post still5 posts lol. In all honesty, you probably should learn to spell before calling people idiots!

Embarrassing? Typical Big12 homer that can't deal with reality or facts haha. Go back under your unsilent majority rock clown boy. You speaking for the WVU majority............baaahahahaha! Hahahahaha! LOL!
Let me spell it out for you fella..since reading comprehension is not your friend...I agreed with another poster re: the Pac12 being on solid footing and if any conference were in a bit of a weak position it was the B12. So now that we have that out of the way, the point of my post initially is that YOU are a first rate jerk, no matter wtf you think of the conference, the team or any of it. Understand now? You should...you have been told this fact, likely at least a half dozen times today, from the unlucky souls that enter your existence in some manner...you are used to it now, so tomorrow should be no surprise for you either...

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
Says the poster who comments on every post still5 posts lol. In all honesty, you probably should learn to spell before calling people idiots!
You again back from the homer lot. We all know you come over here to get the real story. You're the last person who should be giving advice. Im sure the air in chemical valley has killed the majority of your working brain cells. Im sure you won't be making any appearances in a couple of weeks once the wvu football team heads down the path of another 7-5 season. Advice to you take down that picture. people can see that big L tattoo on your forehead.

What would you expect from a lightweight from Canada? At least this fool has an excuse. Everybody with any common sense knows that Canada is a weak country. If it weren't for the current serviceman or former ones like myself Canada would have become part of Russia during the cold war. Today they would have middle eastern terrorists riding their camels all over his country if it weren't for the good ole usa.

You again back from the homer lot. We all know you come over here to get the real story. You're the last person who should be giving advice. Im sure the air in chemical valley has killed the majority of your working brain cells. Im sure you won't be making any appearances in a couple of weeks once the wvu football team heads down the path of another 7-5 season. Advice to you take down that picture. people can see that big L tattoo on your forehead.
I hope you don't think you're hurting my feelings by calling me a homer. Unlike you, I bleed gold and blue, and that will never change. The way you treat the positive posters on this board says all anyone needs to know about you. It's sad that you even waste your time to come here and put down "your" team, you would think you could find some handicap kid in your beautiful neighborhood to bully.

Reactions: still5-0vstarheels
What would you expect from a lightweight from Canada? At least this fool has an excuse. Everybody with any common sense knows that Canada is a weak country. If it weren't for the current serviceman or former ones like myself Canada would have become part of Russia during the cold war. Today they would have middle eastern terrorists riding their camels all over his country if it weren't for the good ole usa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT