ADVERTISEMENT

Neal Brown

BeatPitt

All-Conference
Sep 10, 2006
Troy's Coach

Thoughts?

Beat LSU in death Valley last year.
Played Clemson tough in Clemson 2 years ago...

Troy's Coach

Thoughts?

Beat LSU in death Valley last year.
Played Clemson tough in Clemson 2 years ago...

He'd be a great hire and I'm certain that Lyons is well aware of Troy's program since he spent some time in Alabama. Also on my short list (in no particular order) is Luke Fickell, Cincinnati's head coach. Whoever it ends up being, I hope they get to bring in their own staff and not have to absorb anybody the way Vaginal Tech did with Fuente.

Then you realize Troy lost to Liberty this year....

You pretty much get another coach who can get an A game out of his team when needed but will give you two to three clunkers every year

If Dana leaves, we have to go after a proven head coach who has had success at the Power 5 level.

We can probably pay close to $4 Million/yr and we’d also have $1 Million extra due to dana’s Buyout. I would hope this would be plenty to persuade a proven head coach to come to WVU.

Then you realize Troy lost to Liberty this year....

You pretty much get another coach who can get an A game out of his team when needed but will give you two to three clunkers every year

That did happen but Nick Saban lost to Alabama-Birmingham when he was at LSU and Louisiana-Monroe since he has been at Alabama. Saban is a hell of a coach and the #1 coach in college football but even he has some losses he is embarrassed about and I just happen to like Neil Brown. If you don't, I understand but he's certainly worthy of an interview. Maybe he'll suck as a P5 coach as I certainly have no crystal ball but he checks a lot of the boxes.

Last edited:
If Dana leaves, we have to go after a proven head coach who has had success at the Power 5 level.

We can probably pay close to $4 Million/yr and we’d also have $1 Million extra due to dana’s Buyout. I would hope this would be plenty to persuade a proven head coach to come to WVU.

Certainly, you noticed that Iowa State kicked our ass this year? Matt Campbell was at Toledo and waxed our coach who at this point, has much more experience and success at the P5 level.

That did happen but Nick Saban lost to Alabama-Birmingham when he was at LSU and Louisiana-Monroe since he has been at Alabama. Saban is a hell of a coach and the #1 coach in college football but even he has some losses he is embarrassed about and I just happen to like Neil Brown. If you don't, I understand but he's certainly worthy of an interview. Maybe he'll suck as a P5 coach as I certainly have no crystal ball but he checks a lot of the boxes.

I don't know how it is at WV....

But at most places around CFB one loss like that can start turning people against a coach.
At Alabama Saban was already a NC coach plus Bama was so thristy in 2007 that they didn't jump ship.

Can't use Saban as an example.

Biggest issue in CFB... especially at the current time is impatient fanbases.

Neal Brown has not proved to be any better than what you currently have.
It is a lateral move.

I don't know how it is at WV....

But at most places around CFB one loss like that can start turning people against a coach.
At Alabama Saban was already a NC coach plus Bama was so thristy in 2007 that they didn't jump ship.

Can't use Saban as an example.

Biggest issue in CFB... especially at the current time is impatient fanbases.

Neal Brown has not proved to be any better than what you currently have.
It is a lateral move.

WVU is not (currently) a destination that will be able to lure a hungry, proven, top-tier football coach to be its next coach. You miss the point entirely when you highlight Neal Brown's inexperience - WVU (currently) has to take a shot at a hot shot coordinator/lower tier coach as do most programs and that is our reality. I would remind you that even your beloved University of Texas could not lure their top choice (Saban) with their $100,000,000 offer and had to settle for what WVU will end up hiring - a hotshot coordinator/head coach of an unproven lower-tier program.

I like Neal Brown because of the area of the country that Troy sits in, his record over his tenure at Troy, the fact that he does have B12 experience as a coordinator for Tuberville at TT and that he appears to be young and very hungry. But honestly, I don't know the man...I may be wrong about everything and he may end up being no better than Holgorsen ever was but for those who think WVU will just be able to hire an experienced, proven P5 winner - give me your short list because I would love to see the names on it.

Gene Corum - no prior HC experience
Jim Carlen - no prior HC experience
Bobby Bowden - HC at South Georgia State College 1956-58
Frank Cignetti, Sr. - HC at Leechburg High School (PA)
Don Nehlen - HC at Bowling Green 1968-76
Rich Rodriguez - HC at Salem & Glenville State
Bill Stewart - HC at VMI 1994-96

These folks were all assistants with no head coaching experience or head coaches of lower-tier but solid programs nonetheless. The next hire will likely be one or the other and I am fine with that. Nonetheless, I appreciate your interest in the board Townes as a discussion about this is a positive and I always fear that indifference is slowly creeping into this fanbase.

Reactions: Phil
I have watched Troy play three games the last two years.

I was impressed with their DLine play.
Even against LSU they weren't pushed around in the trenches.

But...
Neal Brown is not a DLine coach.
He is a WR coach and OC.

Troy's offense was decent but nothing stood out.
I think he does do a great job at putting is QB in the right place at the right time.
Something not all coaches can do.

Watch Alabama..
What position group stands out every year.
Their DBs.

Same thing with Clemson and their WRs
I know they have great Defensive Linemen but their WRs are elite

Same thing with OU and Lincoln Riley
The ability to score in so many ways.

When you judge a HC you judge if he can maintain success no matter his assistants.

Dana is that way with the WRs and the offense...

Like I said .
I don't see that with Troy
I would hire their DL coach to coach the DL and not Neal Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT