ADVERTISEMENT

Neal Brown is #1

How can a West Virginia msg board root for ultimate destruction of a West Virginia sports team?

Mr MaGoo is gone, by his own accord.
I didn't make the list up. The national media did.

Reactions: locustwv
But you like to share.

Almost like you personally wish
West Virginia loses big.

Kinda pitiful.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
But you like to share.

Almost like you personally wish
West Virginia loses big.

Kinda pitiful.
Honestly man I think for a lot of folks they just want WVU to get better because they love WVU and want the best for the players school and fans. A lot of folks lost faith that Brown can do it. He has shown zero signs so far so its hard to be optimistic.....I'm trying tho.

More hate. I've never seen it this bad with all the media and fan hate. The good news is, we are not at all as bad as they say. The bad news is this wont stop until he's gone.

F4ChqfUWkAA_Abs

How can a West Virginia msg board root for ultimate destruction of a West Virginia sports team?

Mr MaGoo is gone, by his own accord.
No one is rooting for destruction. Brown has had 4 full seasons with the best result being a barely bowl eligible finish to the regular season and barely beating Army in said bowl. There is no rational reason to expect this season to exceed those previous results in any meaningful way. Also, feel free to name all the cases where a coach struggles to .500 in their 5th year and then goes on to win championships for that program. You'll struggle to find a single one. Therefore, what good does it do for WVU in 5 years to have Brown limp on for 2-3 more 6-8 win seasons?

No one is rooting for destruction. Brown has had 4 full seasons with the best result being a barely bowl eligible finish to the regular season and barely beating Army in said bowl. There is no rational reason to expect this season to exceed those previous results in any meaningful way. Also, feel free to name all the cases where a coach struggles to .500 in their 5th year and then goes on to win championships for that program. You'll struggle to find a single one. Therefore, what good does it do for WVU in 5 years to have Brown limp on for 2-3 more 6-8 win seasons?
Check out how long it took Frank Beamer to get good at VT.

Reactions: WESTBGVA and mofo
Check out how long it took Frank Beamer to get good at VT.
1. Took him 8 years. How successful was VT before that? There is a difference between building a program without any significant pedigree and taking over a program with a pre-existing brand and past success. You know as well as I that because of Frank's success, VT currently would never give a coach 8 years to get past 6 wins and endure a 2 win 7th year.

2. Despite the points made above, exceptions do not disprove the rule. Should WVU invest 8 years on results where over 99% of similar situations over the last 40 years (using 1987 when Beamer started as a reference point) have resulted in a coaching change rather than successful competition for conference championships? If yes, you must think the lottery is a good bet.

Last edited:
this is just bullshit..WVU hasn't recruited a legitimate starting QB out of high school in ten years..Brown was left with OL talent that was so bad that M Brown took a starting position without ever playing high school football..what happened to the four years of recruits for that position before he got here?

In 2012 WVU was undefeated and ranked #5 in the nation behind Geno and Tavon..With Brown calling the shots TT put almost 700 yds of offense on us in the 49-14 rout..when he has a QB with a pulse Brown has done just fine.

this is just bullshit..WVU hasn't recruited a legitimate starting QB out of high school in ten years..Brown was left with OL talent that was so bad that M Brown took a starting position without ever playing high school football..what happened to the four years of recruits for that position before he got here?

In 2012 WVU was undefeated and ranked #5 in the nation behind Geno and Tavon..With Brown calling the shots TT put almost 700 yds of offense on us in the 49-14 rout..when he has a QB with a pulse Brown has done just fine.

So like Holgorsen he is great at one thing, but not being the executive of the entire team. That means what exactly? Is WVU just such a terrible place to recruit that no coach can win here and Brown would've been fine elsewhere? Or maybe Brown is just not cut out high level college football coaching. It's not a slight, few people are. When it is obvious that he is not the answer for the program though, it is time to move on. WVU unfortunately tied themselves to this man with a stupid contract extension after an unimpressive 2nd season.

since some folks like the star thing, in 2016 Holgorsen had 7 two star recruits..that's how Army's recruiting profile looks..in 2017 4 two stars and two with zero.... unranked..2019 1 two star and two unranked recruits..A Kendall lost the job at La Tech and Doege couldn't start at W Kentucky or Troy...wait and see before you dance on his grave

Last edited:
he was hired in Jan 2019 the recruiting class wasn't his..WVU did indeed appear to have MAC talent..so it's only been a three year recruiting cycle before signing this class...math is hard..in 2021 Leddie Brown was arguably the best player on the team..he ran a 4.73 forty..probably would be third string on this team

Last edited:
he was hired in Jan 2019 the recruiting class wasn't his..WVU did indeed appear to have MAC talent..so it's only been a three year recruiting cycle before signing this class...math is hard..in 2021 Leddie Brown was arguably the best player on the team..he ran a 4.73 forty..probably would be third string on this team
I think the biggest problem in a lot of peoples minds who I have talked to, is that looking around at other schools who have hired new coaches, often times the good coaches in modern times find instant success under the same conditions. Brown has not really even shown any improvement at all not even in his 4th season, and in fact you could argue the team has gotten worse. He is not keeping up with his peers at all. That is not going to cut it in P5 and he wouldve been fired at most schools, including here except the absurd buyout. The only reason he is still here is because of that. He just isnt the right coach for WVU. I hope to eat crow at the end of this season, but I dont see that happening.

Reactions: locustwv
I think the biggest problem in a lot of peoples minds who I have talked to, is that looking around at other schools who have hired new coaches, often times the good coaches in modern times find instant success under the same conditions. Brown has not really even shown any improvement at all not even in his 4th season, and in fact you could argue the team has gotten worse. He is not keeping up with his peers at all. That is not going to cut it in P5 and he wouldve been fired at most schools, including here except the absurd buyout. The only reason he is still here is because of that. He just isnt the right coach for WVU. I hope to eat crow at the end of this season, but I dont see that happening.
I agree. I’d love to see him be successful. I don’t hate the man. I think he’s a great guy, just not what is needed in Morgantown. And I also hope I’m wrong and he is very successful this year. I just want to win!!!!

Exactly. If WVU wins 9 games this year and looks competitive in most losses yet folks are still not willing to give him another year to see if it that was a fluke or not, then you can claim "rooting for destruction" or "just hating the man." You cannot make those claims when pointing out the paucity of success and little improvement over the last 4 years generally ends poorly for that coach and program.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
you could have had Saban and his entire staff and they wouldn't have won 9 with that level of talent..can't anyone see that WVU's last quality QB recruit out of high school was Geno Smith 14 years ago?

you could have had Saban and his entire staff and they wouldn't have won 9 with that level of talent..can't anyone see that WVU's last quality QB recruit out of high school was Geno Smith 14 years ago?
But that staff would have improved year on year since that opening season.

Brown didn't inherit a program so destitute that a 5+ year rebuild to get remotely competitive should be expected.

In the last 43 years, coaches at WVU that improved and delivered memorable wins in the first 3 years went on to championship level play (Nehlen and RR). The coaches that have regressed in those first 3 years or failed to deliver a memorable win have eventually left without a comparable teams to the former coaches mentioned (Stew and Holgorsen). Odds are against Brown and anyone saying the know or have a rational reason to think Brown will be the exception are off base. It's hopeful optimism only.

WVU will be competitive..It was monumental mistake hiring Holgorsen, who, by his own admission is lazy..I don't believe that coaches need to work more than eight hours a day..with today's technology I can watch film at home..blah blah..sure he did...DH is a football parasite, kills the host and moves to another victim..poor Houston..his buyout is 19 mill..they are going to get crushed.. starts 17 transfers ,mostly bench warmers, small colleges and two from Kilgore college wherever that is..he was and is the worst recruiter in college football...Caridi said that Brown was left with a roster that had the least amount of talent he'd seen in forty years of covering WVU football

Week 1 HCNB summary????

“We played a really good football team in their home stadium. Happy Valley is a tough place to play. Hats off to their coaching staff and their great players. That team will be in the playoffs this year. We got a lot of football left and a lot to play for this year. We struggled offensively and that’s on me. I understand the fans are pissed off. I’m pissed off. (Few more curse words strategically placed). We couldn’t execute. We made too many mistakes and you can’t make those kind of mistakes and gets that caliber of an opponent. We can’t tackle and did a very poor job of tackling. We have a lot of things to clean up as we missed a lot of assignments and that’s on me and the coaching staff to get fixed. Tough way to start the season against a very tough ranked opponent. Will get back to work on Sunday looking at her film and start working on her mistakes on Monday and get them cleaned up for next week. And with that, I will take your softball questions.”

Or…….

But that staff would have improved year on year since that opening season.

Brown didn't inherit a program so destitute that a 5+ year rebuild to get remotely competitive should be expected.

In the last 43 years, coaches at WVU that improved and delivered memorable wins in the first 3 years went on to championship level play (Nehlen and RR). The coaches that have regressed in those first 3 years or failed to deliver a memorable win have eventually left without a comparable teams to the former coaches mentioned (Stew and Holgorsen). Odds are against Brown and anyone saying the know or have a rational reason to think Brown will be the exception are off base. It's hopeful optimism only.
Saban or any good coach wouldve had this program on the right track and wouldve had a better season in year 1 also. Saban and Brown need not even be mentioned in the same sentance in terms of coaching ability. Blaming the kids isnt the answer either, that is for sure. WVU football was loaded with talent last season, and we finished the same as the first year when the cupboard was so bare, so there's that glaring reality. The so-called lack of talent doesnt make all those horrible in game decisions that we see so often. Sometimes it seems as if he delegates his decision making to a football coaching app or something. Who knows, but I know that Neal was bothered by how much hype the WVU/Pitt game received and that is weird. I also would like to point out that this is the most boring team most of us have seen ever. Bottom line, he has been a fish out of water in Morgantown. It really seems as if WVU is just as bad of a fit for him as he is for us. That dude has a very large mountain to climb in order to prove that we are a good fit for him, and him us. The buyout gave him another year to prove it. We'll see.

Last edited:
Saban doesn't do anything that other teams don't run... at Mich St he went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 in his first four years..
Give Brown top 3 recruiting classes every year and he would magically become one of the best coaches in the country..
I've seen Alabama run two TE sets..that offense is from the 60's...football always comes down to blocking and tackling with the best athletes.

Saban doesn't do anything that other teams don't run... at Mich St he went 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6 in his first four years..
Give Brown top 3 recruiting classes every year and he would magically become one of the best coaches in the country..
I've seen Alabama run two TE sets..that offense is from the 60's...football always comes down to blocking and tackling with the best athletes.
I dont so much agree with you about Saban/Brown, but I hope you end up right and me wrong about Brown overall. I do however agree with that when it comes down to it, it comes down to who makes the plays, blocking and tackling. Games are won in the trenches for the most part. I just think certain coaches are way better at motivating their players and having excellent game plans. I hope Brown shows way more of those things this season.

Comparing NB and NS, and basically saying their equal. ROFLMAO! Would you like to step down a bit and put NB on the same level as Don Nehlen and Rich Rod too?

I think most of the WVU fanbase would like to see NB be sucessful this year; however, they realize a losing season is likely. And, the FB smart part of the fanbase who have been closely watching the coaching of NB and his staff realize it even more so.

Give it up! You are not convincing anyone here with your one man NB pep rally.

Reactions: I.M.Right
no one said they were equal..just that Saban had some very average teams until he started getting 1st round draft picks at Alabama..calling him a genius is laughable..remember when they tried the long FG and weren't prepared for the Auburn return?..that coaching mistake cost them the game.

Great players make great coaches not the other way around..in Alabama's last 113 games they have been the favorite 112 times

Last edited:
Texas gets a top 10 recruiting class majority of the time. They have been average or worse since WVU was in Big 12.

Now that the clock doesn't stop you're going to see teams run more than they use to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT