ADVERTISEMENT

Neal Brown Coach of the year?

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
Was picked to finish 14th and is currently 5-3 in Big 12 with chance to be 6-3.

The leaders...

Mike Gundy vs. Steve Sarkisian, Who Is The Big 12 Coach Of The Year?​

Last edited:
Was picked to finish 16th and is currently 5-3 in Big 12 with chance to be 6-3.

The leaders...

Mike Gundy vs. Steve Sarkisian, Who Is The Big 12 Coach Of The Year?​

Knock down that Hail Mary and he wins without even the need for a vote. But that didn't happen. Gundy shouldn't even be mentioned with those two horrible losses they had (UCF and South Alabama).

It’s Sark. Texas hasn’t really pulled a “Texas egg” this year and they should have beat Oklahoma.

They wont want to pick the guy they picked to finish last. He's not it anyway.
I think the bowl game will define whether he’s done a good job or not. He didn’t beat anyone this year. And he lost to everyone who was good to decent. Texas Tech is currently the only P5 team he beat with a winning record at 6-5. Oklahoma hung 40 on WVU. And the Hail Mary loss was to a 4-7 Houston team. Suggesting him for B12 coach of the year is laughable

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I think the bowl game will define whether he’s done a good job or not. He didn’t beat anyone this year. And he lost to everyone who was good to decent. Texas Tech is currently the only P5 team he beat with a winning record at 6-5. Oklahoma hung 40 on WVU. And the Hail Mary loss was to a 4-7 Houston team. Suggesting him for B12 coach of the year is laughable
I agree totally. Some fans are reaching pretty far for Neal right now lol. Learning to set their sights high in mediocrity. Oh well. Honestly in the TTU game, another thing that stood out to me was that it was pouring rain a lot of the game and that seemed to slow TTU down. When it dried up in the second half, they looked unstoppable. All they did was run out of time. They were smacking us around by then. We got lucky on that one, imo.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
That's Just Great.

The Best thing about this question possibility
(on a West Virginia Msg Board),
is Most of WVU these participants posters here - these so called West Virginia fans would have to
Pull their
Foot out their Own Mouthes.

Answer- Sure why not.

The Tricky thing about this response, is we have to recognize this msg board world vs actual Effort on the Field.

Last edited:
That's Just Great.

is Most of WVU these participants posters here - these so called West Virginia fans would have to
Pull their

Answer- Sure why not.
Not really man. I dont feel bad about thinking Neal Brown is just an average coach who benefitted from a very weak schedule this season. I like a few things he has said recently and I will keep an eye on that, but even if he won this award, I would not be putting my foot in my mouth or feel anything even remotely close to changing my mind on him.

Not really man. I dont feel bad about thinking Neal Brown is just an average coach who benefitted from a very weak schedule this season. I like a few things he has said recently and I will keep an eye on that, but even if he won this award, I would not be putting my foot in my mouth or feel anything even remotely close to changing my mind on him.
Well nice try, to CYA but NB is Not an average Recruiter, Period.

Coaching, & Recruiting is in the Job Discreption.

Just a friendly suggestion- when you Log on here might as well more Positive vice so West Virginia negative.

Well nice try, to CYA but NB is Not an average Recruiter, Period.

Coaching, & Recruiting is in the Job Discreption.

Just a friendly suggestion- when you Log on here might as well more Positive vice so West Virginia negative.
Blah blah blah. Dude, this is a discussion board. Its not about positive and negative. I love WVU and want the best for it and cheer every game. Wtf, do you want me to lie to you and tell you that I truly believe in the direction of the football team under Neal Brown when I actually dont, so it doesnt hurt your feelings? What is with you "real fans" who just cant seem to get that there are people who just dont think Neal is the real deal? Whats wrong with you? I didnt come at all the climb trusters attacking them, it has been more like the opposite, for months now. Here's the thing dude, if Neal Brown wins me back over, it wont be because you told me to, or a stat or blurb from a poster on here, or being called a fake fan. It will be because I believe what I see with my own eyes. Its not impossible. He could do it, but its a long shot. You all should work harder on not letting my opinion bother you so bad. It would be easier....

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
I agree totally. Some fans are reaching pretty far for Neal right now lol. Learning to set their sights high in mediocrity. Oh well. Honestly in the TTU game, another thing that stood out to me was that it was pouring rain a lot of the game and that seemed to slow TTU down. When it dried up in the second half, they looked unstoppable. All they did was run out of time. They were smacking us around by then. We got lucky on that one, imo.
I remember that game. IT WAS AMAZING that whenever West Virginia got the football, the rain stopped, sun came out to dry the field during the commercial break and we rolled down the field. Then it started to pour the rain when Texas Tech got the ball back.

Big 12 teams Wins vs P5 teams with winning record
Baylor 0 (in conference 0)
BYU 1 (in conference 1)
Cincinnati 0 (in conference 0)
Houston 1 (in conference 1)
Iowa State 1 (in conference 1)
Kansas 2 (in conference 2)
Kansas State 2 (in conference 2)
Oklahoma 3 (in conference 3)
Oklahoma State 4 (in conference 4 and embarrassing home loss to South Alabama 33-7 and road loss to a bad UCF team 45-3)
TCU 0 (in conference 0)
Texas 4 (in conference 3)
Texas Tech 1 (in conference 1)
UCF 1 (in conference 1)
WVU 1 (in conference 1)

WVU has beaten who they are suppose to beat, except Houston, and was competitive in games against the upper level of conference, except Oklahoma.

You don't control your schedule nor can you control your opponents W/L. You can only control what your team does. With turnovers and other mistakes that makes it even more difficult.

Win another 8 games or more year next and I will be back to full support Brown. Right now I just root for WVU and if Brown is fired fine and if he moves on his own I'm fine with that as well.

BYU 1 (in conference 1)
Oklahoma State 4 (in conference 4 and embarrassing home loss to South Alabama 33-7 and road loss to a bad UCF team 45-3)
TCU 0 (in conference 0)
UCF 1 (in conference 1)
WVU 1 (in conference 1)

WVU has beaten who they are suppose to beat, except Houston, and was competitive in games against the upper level of conference, except Oklahoma.

You don't control your schedule nor can you control your opponents W/L. You can only control what your team does. With turnovers and other mistakes that makes it even more difficult.

Win another 8 games or more year next and I will be back to full support Brown. Right now I just root for WVU and if Brown is fired fine and if he moves on his own I'm fine with that as well.
If he wins 8 and a bowl this year, then it definitely gets the national media off WVU's back as far as last place predictions and bad press. I dont know who we play in a bowl but he at least needs to lead this team to a strong showing, unlike what team we saw against OU and PSU which was pathetic. At least he wont be the center of attention for all the wrong reasons this offseason, if he beats Baylor and shows well in a bowl against someone good.

Next season it has to be more than just "8" wins, in the way that he has to beat someone good and lead this team into a legit shot at the B12 title, not too mention the top 25. It will be his last shot. Enough is enough. It is not like WVU to go 5-6 years void of being in the top 25 at some point in the season. Get this team at least back to what it was under Holgs or the fan base will turn more than we have ever seen ever next year, because from what I see, there are a lot of people who dont trust the climb even now. Its an issue and beating Cinci didnt convince a lot of them. I get that there are 13 millions reasons to keep Brown this off season and have known that since last season, but it will be the last shot for sure, because the buyout is much smaller next year. Just 8 isnt good enough. If 8 is enough to compete for a B12 title because of a very tuff conference next season, then 8 is what it is, but there has to be more or it will be a total shitshow. I dont even think his wife wants to be here after last season, tbh.

Last edited:
That's Just Great.

Pull their

Answer- Sure why not.

The Tricky thing about this response, is we have to recognize this msg board world vs actual Effort on the Field.
You are truly illiterate aren't you? Gibberish.

BYU 1 (in conference 1)
TCU 0 (in conference 0)
UCF 1 (in conference 1)
WVU 1 (in conference 1)

Isn't the top of the conference Texas, OU, OSU, and KSU? WVU played 2 of them and was beaten pretty handily by both. Giving up 28 points in a quarter is being handily beaten. So I'd not say WVU has been competitive against the top of the conference.

Isn't the top of the conference Texas, OU, OSU, and KSU? WVU played 2 of them and was beaten pretty handily by both. Giving up 28 points in a quarter is being handily beaten. So I'd not say WVU has been competitive against the top of the conference.
Oklahoma State did not beat WVU handily.

Right now, other than UT, OK, & Kans St, the Big 12 is a garbage conference. A very weak year for the conference.
Who exactly has KSU beaten? Their rival Kansas and Texas Tech. Doesn't scream top of league. They didn't play OU and lost to Texas.

There is UT and that's pretty much it.

I would agree for most of that game it was back and forth. However, it appeared to me they wore us out toward the end. Had it gone another quarter I think they blow us out.
So, I think they do if, is now considered a blowout. WVU was a fumbled punt from a drive to go up 14. And since when is a 14 point loss considered a blowout. I believe peoples hate of WVU coaching staff is causing a blind rage of madness.

So, I think they do if, is now considered a blowout. WVU was a fumbled punt from a drive to go up 14. And since when is a 14 point loss considered a blowout. I believe peoples hate of WVU coaching staff is causing a blind rage of madness.
Well, I’m not blinded by anything. The facts are, after 3Q WVU was leading Oklahoma State 24-20. In the 4th Quarter, Oklahoma State out scored WVU 28-10. So yes, had it gone on for another quarter, the odds are it becomes a blowout loss.

Well, I’m not blinded by anything. The facts are, after 3Q WVU was leading Oklahoma State 24-20. In the 4th Quarter, Oklahoma State out scored WVU 28-10. So yes, had it gone on for another quarter, the odds are it becomes a blowout loss.
BS analytics.

BS analytics.
The more you dive into the numbers and probabilities, it becomes obvious that WVU and Neal Brown benefitted from a very weak conference schedule. And really, there wasn’t much difference between any other Neal Brown WVU team of the last 5 years. This is not flaming, it’s being realistic. I hope WVU gets a top 25 opponent in the bowl game and Brown proves me wrong.

The more you dive into the numbers and probabilities, it becomes obvious that WVU and Neal Brown benefitted from a very weak conference schedule. And really, there wasn’t much difference between any other Neal Brown WVU team of the last 5 years. This is not flaming, it’s being realistic. I hope WVU gets a top 25 opponent in the bowl game and Brown proves me wrong.
Who in the Big 12 hasn't benefited from a weak schedule? Fans have given no credit to the man for a successful season. This team could have nose dived after week 1. They could have stumbled after week 7 and lost the rest of the games.

Is he a great coach? NO. Is he as bad as the hate fans say he is? NO. Is he a P5 coach? He hasn't proven it in 5 years. Was he successful at G5? Yes.

There was a whole lot of difference from this years team than his previous 4.

Give the man his credit for a success this season and wait for his firing next year. If your lucky.

I don't see us winning the bowl game myself. But then again he finished better than my 5-7 prediction. Therefore I give him credit for beating the teams he should beat minus Houston a game that could have derailed the season.

Who in the Big 12 hasn't benefited from a weak schedule? Fans have given no credit to the man for a successful season. This team could have nose dived after week 1. They could have stumbled after week 7 and lost the rest of the games.

Is he a great coach? NO. Is he as bad as the hate fans say he is? NO. Is he a P5 coach? He hasn't proven it in 5 years. Was he successful at G5? Yes.

There was a whole lot of difference from this years team than his previous 4.

Give the man his credit for a success this season and wait for his firing next year. If your lucky.

I don't see us winning the bowl game myself. But then again he finished better than my 5-7 prediction. Therefore I give him credit for beating the teams he should beat minus Houston a game that could have derailed the season.
The one person I give a lot of credit to is Garrett Greene. Easily the team leader and team MVP. Imagine this season without him. That guy is very underrated and I’ve said it all year. He does not get the credit he deserves. Nobody wanted him to play QB here and he’s beaten out JT Daniels and Nicco Marichol. Both of which were much higher rated recruits.

Fourth in the nation in rushing..233 yds per game...29 rushing TD's..this team was built from the ground up... like it or not.. 2023 is the first season in over a decade that the Mountaineers have a starting QB who wasn't a transfer
Geno Smith............ the last starting QB WVU recruited out of high school is 33 years old..good programs recruit good QB's from high school..

Fourth in the nation in rushing..233 yds per game...29 rushing TD's..this team was built from the ground up... like it or not.. 2023 is the first season in over a decade that the Mountaineers have a starting QB who wasn't a transfer
Geno Smith............ the last starting QB WVU recruited out of high school is 33 years old..good programs recruit good QB's from high school..
Very good points

Reactions: Panhandleer
The one person I give a lot of credit to is Garrett Greene. Easily the team leader and team MVP. Imagine this season without him. That guy is very underrated and I’ve said it all year. He does not get the credit he deserves. Nobody wanted him to play QB here and he’s beaten out JT Daniels and Nicco Marichol. Both of which were much higher rated recruits.
Wonder who the head coach of Garrett Greene is.

JT Daniel's left when his coach left. Greene is not the best but his effort is outstanding. He gives his all. Obviously a good recruit by Brown. Once again give the man some credit.

If he wins 8 and a bowl this year, then it definitely gets the national media off WVU's back as far as last place predictions and bad press. I dont know who we play in a bowl but he at least needs to lead this team to a strong showing, unlike what team we saw against OU and PSU which was pathetic. At least he wont be the center of attention for all the wrong reasons this offseason, if he beats Baylor and shows well in a bowl against someone good.

Next season it has to be more than just "8" wins, in the way that he has to beat someone good and lead this team into a legit shot at the B12 title, not too mention the top 25. It will be his last shot. Enough is enough. It is not like WVU to go 5-6 years void of being in the top 25 at some point in the season. Get this team at least back to what it was under Holgs or the fan base will turn more than we have ever seen ever next year, because from what I see, there are a lot of people who dont trust the climb even now. Its an issue and beating Cinci didnt convince a lot of them. I get that there are 13 millions reasons to keep Brown this off season and have known that since last season, but it will be the last shot for sure, because the buyout is much smaller next year. Just 8 isnt good enough. If 8 is enough to compete for a B12 title because of a very tuff conference next season, then 8 is what it is, but there has to be more or it will be a total shitshow. I dont even think his wife wants to be here after last season, tbh.
It doesn't matter what the national media thinks it's what his bosses think. Holgorsen went 8-5 in year 5 if Brown wins one more game, then he has guaranteed to have gotten the program back to where Holgorsen had it. If he wins 8 games in the regular season next year, he will keep his job regardless of how he got there.

Reactions: WESTBGVA
Great point. Never thought of it in those terms.

It doesn't matter what the national media thinks it's what his bosses think. Holgorsen went 8-5 in year 5 if Brown wins one more game, then he has guaranteed to have gotten the program back to where Holgorsen had it. If he wins 8 games in the regular season next year, he will keep his job regardless of how he got there.
in the last 50 seasons WVU has only reached eight or more wins 23 times

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT