ADVERTISEMENT

MLB attendance dying, pro sports $ will fall all across board

Just spent the day in a Deep Creek Lake in Maryland close to Morgantown. A lot of WV garden flags on those mansions I noticed and lots of WVU and Penn State on those cars. The wealthy WV folks like WVU. Just reality.

Go to a trailer park or ghetto and it’s NFL trash or some bozo thug with a wide bill NBA hat....lol...sad but true!

The NBA is trash. Lots of NBA owners losing money. Just a fact. Last year half of NBA was losing money. Big financial disaster coming for NBA. Player salaries will take a nose dive hit in next 5-10 years. Their out of wedlock kids will need money.

NBA arenas half empty most nights. Most NBA teams have half empty arenas. Several are in financial trouble. Their owners are not making $ off their teams. All their money comes from real estate companies and other companies they own.

WVUallen the poor white kid from the trailer park also will never go to a college sport or any sport. It’s sad. Your average poor white kid from the trailer park will never be interested in college sports. The NCAA or Universities should fund some money to get poor kids at the games. Build more fans support and opportunity for others to maybe one day attend a game or the university.

Jerry West was born into a poor household in Chelyan, WV. his father Howard Stewart West, a coal mine electrician. Save your holier than thou attitude for someone else.

WVUALLEN jump into reality and stop living in your head. Your lost. Your Jerry West comparison doesn’t compare to my point of today’s world.

99% of everybody you can ask will agree the NBA is a dead dog and they don’t watch. Fact.

WVUALLEN jump into reality and stop living in your head. Your lost. Your Jerry West comparison doesn’t compare to my point of today’s world.

99% of everybody you can ask will agree the NBA is a dead dog and they don’t watch. Fact.
You're probably correct if you are asking in an insane asylum...home...comfy in your mind...

80ate...you bring up a great point. the real cost of attendance has spiked...tickets, food, travel, parking, lodging etc...and IMO has contributed to falling attendance issues throughout NCAA. people seem to pick the "important games with name opponents" now. before i stopped doing the corporate thing it was hard to give tickets away for games other than the media hyped ones. combine these costs with student apathy and falling profits etc at ESPN and the like and there is a simmering stew for collapse. college football followed the pro model which is also struggling.

I paid $270 for a hotel in morgantown on gameday, no shuttle to the game....took an uber back later...around 11 pm. Woke up at 6:00 am, and left. Was barely in the room, no thanks...not paying that.

Reactions: Rootmaster
That comparison makes zero sense

Did you miss where I said the NBA was thriving?

Sears died due to competition and the internet

Is there another NBA?

There doesn't need to be another NBA for it to have competition. NBA competes with other entertainment, any entertainment.

I think the NBA will be fine, because of the international market....but sports might have peaked in some ways. ESPN really overpaid for NBA, they will see a correction (increase, but at a smaller growth percentage).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
Your making up stuff. Dude look it up. Half of NBA owners lost money last year. NBA is a dying dog.

I don't think any of them lost money last year. I doubt any ranchise put in one more dollar than they got back.

Last edited:
ESPN screwed themselves their going to lose a ton of money over the sucky NBA. They overpaid and next TV negotiations will be much lower which will lower player salaries.....in 5 years no network will give the NBA a lot of money. All pro TV deals will get lower in next 5-10 years. That will lower player and coach salaries.

MLB is affordable cause nobody wants to go and it’s empty. Actually a lot of the pro games with NFL, MLB and NBA can be cheap tickets for the loser teams in cities that don’t care. The problem is that the games are boring, the players are overpaid, the players don’t stay with their teams, the players attitudes are terrible, the players don’t respect their fans, the players don’t care about winning anymore, the players don’t stay in college long enough, the players are trouble making punks and thugs, kneeling anthem protesters, immmature players, stupid players, free agency, overpaid bad coaching....so many reasons not to like pro sports anymore.

Plus college sports are just way more exciting and better.

Actually people are waiting on people die to buy their season tickets...see the Boston Red Sox. OH and they also have the Bruins and the Celtics in the playoffs so there are plenty of other options to watch.

We all decide priorities for spending our money.

I've gotten season tickets to Mountaineer Field every year since my 1996 retirement from newspapers.

Those who can't afford it, or don't want to go, I have no problem with that. Or those who prefer to spend their money on something else even if they can afford WVU sports, I have no problem with that.

Dissing those who DO spend their money on WVU sports, or those who don't, is not classy. We all pick what we like and what we can afford.

I have no problem with that.

I know that I am far luckier than most. Not smarter, but luckier.

And I love my alma mater, and will beyond the day I die, since I'll be buried under a double grave marker in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio with "WV" under my late wife Monnie's name and my name.

At the age of 85, that time isn't that far away. I'm ready.

Let's goooooooooooo, Mountaineers! will echo from my grave.

A century from now, visitors to Northlawn Memorial Gardens will know that I'm still a WVU fan, regardless of the W-L record.

You can't use facts with pride. He thinks he is the facts. We just keep on feeding the troll and he keeps spinning on his wheel. It must be fun for him.

Allen-
You know this was WVUder7, WVUUSA5, etc. The same guy who thought William Crest and Chavas Rawlins were the chosen ones.

Crazy Pratt your talking about Boston. That’s the heart of pro sports. Most other pro towns aren’t comparable to them. Boston is one of the biggest pro towns. Maybe the biggest pro town. 90% of pro sports towns don’t support like Boston does.

Get away from the far northeast and the rest of the country isn’t that crazy about pro sports. Fact.

NHL is small time to most of America. MLB is slipping. NBA slipped up 20 years ago. Football can sell anywhere but even the NFL is on its way down.

USA population has grown but NBA viewers have not. ESPN screwed themselves by giving NBA too much money in last TV deal. They won’t do that again. The next deal will be smaller. In next 5-10 years the NBA will fall hard financially. The salaries will drop. Nobody will pay big $ for NBA Television deals in future. It’s a bust. People have lost interest.

USA population has grown but NBA viewers have not. ESPN screwed themselves by giving NBA too much money in last TV deal. They won’t do that again. The next deal will be smaller. In next 5-10 years the NBA will fall hard financially. The salaries will drop. Nobody will pay big $ for NBA Television deals in future. It’s a bust. People have lost interest.

Link and Source.

You can't use facts with pride. He thinks he is the facts. We just keep on feeding the troll and he keeps spinning on his wheel. It must be fun for him.
When prides mouth opens our minds must close....All knowing and not afraid to say so....

Crazy Pratt your talking about Boston. That’s the heart of pro sports. Most other pro towns aren’t comparable to them. Boston is one of the biggest pro towns. Maybe the biggest pro town. 90% of pro sports towns don’t support like Boston does.

Get away from the far northeast and the rest of the country isn’t that crazy about pro sports. Fact.
The same argument could be made about college sports outside of the south and Midwest. Nobody really cares about college sports outside of these 2 regions.

Reactions: GoWVU
Colorado what about you? Aren’t you a WVU fan.

Remember Penn State is huge in northeast state Pennsylvania and Penn State even has quite a lot of fans in upstate NY. People out west that are actually American like college sports. Problem with West is that almost half of the modern population out there is either Asian, Hispanic mostly with a lot of other foreigners that don’t care about American sports culture.

The northeast mostly has no big college football. Boston College isn’t that big anymore. Never were really. Rutgers sucks. Syracuse fell off in football. College hoops is ok in northeast.

Real southern people hate pro sports mostly.

Also out west. Oregon and Oregon State are both huge in Oregon. Washington Huskies popular in Washington and Gonzaga has college hoops rocking in Washington. Utah loves Utah Utes and BYU. California has 4 power 5 schools. USC Trojans are huge in LA and entire Southern California. Arizona loves Wildcat basketball. Real native Americans out west are down with college ball and experience. Don’t be fooled.

Colorado what about you? Aren’t you a WVU fan.

Remember Penn State is huge in northeast state Pennsylvania and Penn State even has quite a lot of fans in upstate NY. People out west that are actually American like college sports. Problem with West is that almost half of the modern population out there is either Asian, Hispanic mostly with a lot of other foreigners that don’t care about American sports culture.

The northeast mostly has no big college football. Boston College isn’t that big anymore. Never were really. Rutgers sucks. Syracuse fell off in football. College hoops is ok in northeast.

Real southern people hate pro sports mostly.
Every region of the country has college and Pro fans but the passion for college sports is biggest in the south and midwest. Oregon and Oregon state Byu and Utah have strong followings but not even close to the passion that the sec schools, Big 10, and Big 12 schools have. Washington Huskies are second fiddle to the Seattle Seahawks. Pro sports rule the west just like they do in the Northeast. The west might have large hispanic and asian populations but whites are still the majority.

Colorado if you take the Hispanics, Asians out of the mix the white population is probably more college. The Seahawks were a joke until Pete Carrol came. LA hasn’t had pro football in 25 years. USC Trojans rule LA and Southern California. Most traditional USA native white people swing more with college sports. Some more than others but college seems to be the choice for whites.

Also the western cities are transient with many outsiders that aren’t great local fans. Lots of eastern people move out west.

Last edited:
I agree the Midwest and south are all college basically. From Texas over to Florida up to WV, VA, Ohio.

As for Texas and middle America like Oklahoma, Kansas it’s college sports heavy. Texas does have Cowboys but 4 Big 12 teams and SEC are major college tradition for Texas. They even have several other D1 teams in Texas. Lots of college sports in Texas. East of Texas it’s all college.

Florida population boom brought metro areas and pro sports but the pro sports in Florida are weak. Florida is still Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles, Miami Hurricanes, UCF, USF.....it’s still largely a high school and college football state.

Colorado if you take the Hispanics, Asians out of the mix the white population is probably more college. The Seahawks were a joke until Pete Carrol came. LA hasn’t had pro football in 25 years. USC Trojans rule LA and Southern California. Most traditional USA native white people swing more with college sports. Some more than others but college seems to be the choice for whites.

Also the western cities are transient with many outsiders that aren’t great local fans. Lots of eastern people move out west.
People that went to college probably prefer college sports over pro regardless of their race. Usc and Ucla don't rule southern california sports. Most people don't care and most are from somewhere else to begin with. The Superbowl had 103 millon people watch it. The college national championship game had 28 millon watch. The nba Finals get more viewers than the Ncaa basketball championship. The networks might not choose to give the amount of money they pay now in the future but they will pay more for the product they gets them the best ratings.

Where tf do the Rams play...

WVpride304 said:

Where tf do the Rams play...

Also the Chargers?

Just spent the day in a Deep Creek Lake in Maryland close to Morgantown. A lot of WV garden flags on those mansions I noticed and lots of WVU and Penn State on those cars. The wealthy WV folks like WVU. Just reality.

Go to a trailer park or ghetto and it’s NFL trash or some bozo thug with a wide bill NBA hat....lol...sad but true!

They frown upon panhandling up there.

LA just got those teams after 25 years. Ratings are really not a comparing factor with college and pro. Pro is just 30 teams in large populated cities, markets. That drives viewers up cause it’s highly marketed right there in that metro with high population. Outside of that it decreases badly. Most of these pro teams are nothing outside of the metro area they play in.

College sports are such a broad spectrum. It’s not 1 team driving up crazy ratings. It’s 300 teams on tv competing. The 300 or so teams that get on TV on the networks in a season ends up actually being way more overall viewers than pro. That’s because it’s 300 college teams in every state vs 30 pro teams in 17-20 states. College sports overall has more eye balls it’s just that 1 game doesn’t generate huge ratings because it’s a million different college teams on tv.

College overall has more fans. Not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT