ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe the Big 12 is not dead yet

The TV markets that these schools would bring to the Big 12 is where the $$$ would be made. Ames Iowa is not Orlando or Houston. Plus these teams are winning teams for the most part a decade or more.

Since
2014 Memphis has won 65 games
2006 Cincy has won 129 games
2009 C Florida has won 102 games
2006 BYU has won 131 games
No one is going to watch Kansas play WVU in football but people will watch WVI play Central Florida. Its all about eyeballs and the remaining Big 12 teams are in states where there are very few of those. Adding Houston, Orlando, Cincy, BYU , Memphis TV markets adds eyeballs and TV sets.
How many of those teams they beat ranked top 25? How many were out of conference ranked teams.

Only ones that will watch those teams are their own fans.

Cincinnati eyeballs are on Ohio State.

With going by wins might as well add North Dakota State and James Madison.

6.4 million per team for 12 years is the AAC contract.

AAC exit fee is 30 million. Contract is good until 2032. Those reams are going nowhere.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I think that if those teams were added the payout would be bigger. But hey with no other conference looking to add teams the Big 12(8) will not survive as an 8 team league. And how many people watch WVU other than their fans????? At least add some bigger market teams to make some $$$$. If not Kansas , Iowa, WV will not carry this conference. Teams Like BYU , Central Florida, Memphis, Cincy, Houston could help save the league and add value to it. Plus Cincy , Houston , C Florida, BYU have more alumni than most of the remaining Big 12 schools. So more fans to watch

Last edited:
How many of those teams they beat ranked top 25? How many were out of conference ranked teams.

AAC exit fee is 30 million. Contract is good until 2032. Those reams are going nowhere.
Yeah tell 'em! Just tell the other conferences that they are crap without wvu too! We're in charge. Where's your coonskin hat?

Here is something else to consider the schools that I mentioned have pretty good sized student populations

UCF 72K
Houston 46K
Cincy 46K
South FL 43K
BYU 35K
Memphis 21K

Compare that with the rest of the Big 12
WVU 27K
OK St 24K
TTU 40 K
Kansas 21K
K State 20K
Iowa St 33K
TCU 11K
Baylor 19K
\More fans = more views. More views =more tv sets. More fans = more alumni which = more endowments. Do you see where this goes

Reactions: Rootmaster
Here is something else to consider the schools that I mentioned have pretty good sized student populations

UCF 72K
Houston 46K
Cincy 46K
South FL 43K
BYU 35K
Memphis 21K

WVU 27K
OK St 24K
TTU 40 K
Kansas 21K
K State 20K
Iowa St 33K
TCU 11K
Baylor 19K
\More fans = more views. More views =more tv sets. More fans = more alumni which = more endowments. Do you see where this goes
There is where you assumption failed you. A lot of the students at most of those schools are not fans of athletics and therefore have no bearing on realignment.

There is where you assumption failed you. A lot of the students at most of those schools are not fans of athletics and therefore have no bearing on realignment.
OK Ok then you guys are right the big 8 will be fine

I guess you answered why most wvu students don't give a crap...and don't show up for..games. lol.

UCF 72K
Houston 46K
Cincy 46K
South FL 43K
BYU 35K
Memphis 21K

WVU 27K
OK St 24K
TTU 40 K
Kansas 21K
K State 20K
Iowa St 33K
TCU 11K
Baylor 19K
By this logic, the AAC should he making a ton of money already.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

@sammyk this post is what makes you a slowpoke. Not trying to be harsh but your conversation is a waste of time. Read Allen’s post three times and you’ll realize how irrelevant your posting has been.

I doubt they stop there. USC will be like WVU in the Big 12 geographically, except they will not be as much of a welfare case as WVU was for the Big 12. Hence I see 2 more PAC 12 teams coming along with USC in that scenario with likely more after. I see the Big 10 also taking a Northern California team for TV market and possibly Oregon for Nike money and NW market. In that scenario Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Illinois will have to be part of western group. Outside of Wisconsin, I doubt the Big 10 will give much of a crap about objections. Or they just throw Indiana or Perdue into that camp to make Wisconsin happy.
WVU a welfare case? How do you and so many others avoid factual information regarding WVU viewership? Just turn your head and call it a lie? When WVU and TCU were invited to the Big 12, WVU was chosen over Louisville because they could and have paid their own way and half of TCU's.

WVU has paid their own way and then some since the old Big East days. Their current viewership would rand 3rd in the ACC. Playing rivals on network TV again might get them to second in viewership behind only Clemson as long as FSU sucks.

WVU a welfare case? How do you and so many others avoid factual information regarding WVU viewership? Just turn your head and call it a lie? When WVU and TCU were invited to the Big 12, WVU was chosen over Louisville because they could and have paid their own way and half of TCU's.

WVU has paid their own way and then some since the old Big East days. Their current viewership would rand 3rd in the ACC. Playing rivals on network TV again might get them to second in viewership behind only Clemson as long as FSU sucks.
Wvu is not going to acc.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
Wvu is not going to acc.
Hey Rootmaster, thanks for the absolutely dependable inside information. I know you can't reveal him but was he pretty high up in the ACC administration? Otherwise you can't be sure. It would have been a small step down anyway, despite the logistics. Besides, they have too many schools we would have to carry.

Perhaps the wording I used is inadequate, but the point is apt. Big 12 picks Louisville over WVU and they still do fine even if WVU makes more money. However if WVU does not get into the Big 12 in 2012 then WVU has a legit chance of withering on the vine in the G5 world. Hence WVU was the more desperate party and would take whatever they could get to avoid irrelevance. USC to the Big 10 as was the point of discussion is a totally separate matter. They could stay in the PAC 12 if they would like. Thus they could afford to be more picky and not be the sole West Coast team making multiple trips to Midwest for sporting events. USC to the Big 10 now is much less a lopsided situation as WVU to the Big 12 in 2012 when WVU was legitimately looking at competing on the level of UCONN or ECU.

Perhaps the wording I used is inadequate, but the point is apt. Big 12 picks Louisville over WVU and they still do fine even if WVU makes more money. However if WVU does not get into the Big 12 in 2012 then WVU has a legit chance of withering on the vine in the G5 world. Hence WVU was the more desperate party and would take whatever they could get to avoid irrelevance. USC to the Big 10 as was the point of discussion is a totally separate matter. They could stay in the PAC 12 if they would like. Thus they could afford to be more picky and not be the sole West Coast team making multiple trips to Midwest for sporting events. USC to the Big 10 now is much less a lopsided situation as WVU to the Big 12 in 2012 when WVU was legitimately looking at competing on the level of UCONN or ECU.
WVU absolutely, positively had an informal invite to the ACC the day they accepted the formal invitation of the Big 12. An informal invite is based on a private show of hands and simply means, if we invite you will you guarantee us you'll come? There was no vote, no official invitation but that was WVU's one and only chance to join the ACC.

The per school payout from the Big 12 was $20 million in 2012 and the ACC was $16 million. What else should WVU have done? The previous time the ACC sent WVU an informal invitation based upon a show of hands the tobacco row schools indicated in favor. After WVU agreed to honor the invitation and an official vote was taken the tobacco row schools changed their votes and voted against it.

If I told you who gave me this information you would believe it, but I can't. I will tell you I was writing at the time and my daughter was married to a former WVU player. I met a couple of people through him. He is a wonderful son in law. If you choose to believe me or not is up to you, I will not be offended if you do not. But when the smoke clears WVU will be OK.

WVU absolutely, positively had an informal invite to the ACC the day they accepted the formal invitation of the Big 12. An informal invite is based on a private show of hands and simply means, if we invite you will you guarantee us you'll come? There was no vote, no official invitation but that was WVU's one and only chance to join the ACC.

The per school payout from the Big 12 was $20 million in 2012 and the ACC was $16 million. What else should WVU have done? The previous time the ACC sent WVU an informal invitation based upon a show of hands the tobacco row schools indicated in favor. After WVU agreed to honor the invitation and an official vote was taken the tobacco row schools changed their votes and voted against it.

If I told you who gave me this information you would believe it, but I can't. I will tell you I was writing at the time and my daughter was married to a former WVU player. I met a couple of people through him. He is a wonderful son in law. If you choose to believe me or not is up to you, I will not be offended if you do not. But when the smoke clears WVU will be OK.
That contradicts Oliver Luck

The ACC had already taken Pitt and Syracuse over WVU which led to WVU seeking a new home outside of the sinking Big East. The ACC already had a full compliment of schools at that time. It wasn't until AFTER WVU got the Big 12 nod over Louisville that Maryland left another opening in the ACC to accept Louisville. So you are telling me the ACC had this clandestine show of hands meeting that they would add WVU to an already full conference of 14 members? I doubt that very much. However even if true that does not in any way negate my point which is WVU was on a sinking ship and staying put was not a viable option in 2011-2012. WVU also didn't have the ability to just ask any power 5 conference for membership and get strong consideration. USC currently has the option to stay put and would definitely get much stronger consideration from any conference if they asked about membership. Hence they have more leverage in conference membership negotiations than WVU.

You cannot argue that in 2011-2012 that WVU had no good option to stay in the collapsing Big East and WAS desperate to get into a Power 5 conference. We were not in any position to reject an offer from a Power 5 conference invitation in 2011-2012.

The ACC had already taken Pitt and Syracuse over WVU which led to WVU seeking a new home outside of the sinking Big East. The ACC already had a full compliment of schools at that time. It wasn't until AFTER WVU got the Big 12 nod over Louisville that Maryland left another opening in the ACC to accept Louisville. So you are telling me the ACC had this clandestine show of hands meeting that they would add WVU to an already full conference of 14 members? I doubt that very much. However even if true that does not in any way negate my point which is WVU was on a sinking ship and staying put was not a viable option in 2011-2012. WVU also didn't have the ability to just ask any power 5 conference for membership and get strong consideration. USC currently has the option to stay put and would definitely get much stronger consideration from any conference if they asked about membership. Hence they have more leverage in conference membership negotiations than WVU.

You cannot argue that in 2011-2012 that WVU had no good option to stay in the collapsing Big East and WAS desperate to get into a Power 5 conference. We were not in any position to reject an offer from a Power 5 conference invitation in 2011-2012.
There is always an unofficial vote before the official one to be certain the invitee will accept. WVU only had one official offer.

There is always an unofficial vote before the official one to be certain the invitee will accept. WVU only had one official offer.whe
When did this happen though? The other poster makes a good point. What you are saying doesn't match up with the events from the actual timeline.

You also deserve a fat lip tough guy. Would love to see you at a game. My guess is you don’t attend games
Fat lip I have screwed tougher women than you punk. Maybe I will bend you over like the B!tch you are in front of your wife you dick. Go back to Braxton county you stupid hick. And f you slowpoke

Last edited:
Absolutely juvenile stupid to continue to argue about wvu and acc in the past. Just dumb child's stuff. We are in the big 12-4=8 and will be in the new one when reconstituted. Real question is when that will happen...in the future.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Fat lip I have screwed tougher women than you punk. Maybe I will bend you over like the B!tch you are in front of your wife you dick. Go back to Braxton county you stupid hick. And f you slowpoke

SOMEONE WOKE UP ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED TODAY.

Absolutely juvenile stupid to continue to argue about wvu and acc in the past. Just dumb child's stuff. We are in the big 12-4=8 and will be in the new one when reconstituted. Real question is when that will happen...in the future.

That's right and we have four years to resolve it. Whatever is done should be effective July 1, 2025 though to keep that $40 million per year coming until then. As far as bring in other teams available, I showed earlier with a link just how much less any of those suggested teams bring in viewership. Half of WVU's average number of viewers does not help.

UCF 72K
Houston 46K
Cincy 46K
South FL 43K
BYU 35K
Memphis 21K

WVU 27K
OK St 24K
TTU 40 K
Kansas 21K
K State 20K
Iowa St 33K
TCU 11K
Baylor 19K
School size and population proximity do not necessarily create viewership. Did you see the actual number of viewers for those teams from last bowl season?

Dec 30, 2020 WVU vs Army 3.74 million viewers ESPN
Dec 29, 2020 Ok St vs Miami 3.2 million ESPN
Dec 29, 2020 Col VS UT 2.98 million ESPN
Jan 2, 2021 UK vs NC State 2.71 million ESPN
Dec 24, 2020 Haw vs Houston 1.9 million ESPN
Dec 19, 2020 Cin vs Tulsa 1.88 million ABC
Dec 22, 2020 UCF vs BYU 1.55 million ESPN
Dec 22, 2020 Mem VS FAU 1.27 million ESPN

LINK

It will always come to down to which school and provide the most money and which conference can provide the bigger per-school payout. For TV, which school draws the most eyeballs for the advertisers.

It will always come to down to which school and provide the most money and which conference can provide the bigger per-school payout. For TV, which school draws the most eyeballs for the advertisers.
That's what is funny, nobody watches commercials. One of the reasons streaming is taking off.

That's right and we have four years to resolve it. Whatever is done should be effective July 1, 2025 though to keep that $40 million per year coming until then. As far as bring in other teams available, I showed earlier with a link just how much less any of those suggested teams bring in viewership. Half of WVU's average number of viewers does not help.
Will happen in two.

School size and population proximity do not necessarily create viewership. Did you see the actual number of viewers for those teams from last bowl season?

Dec 30, 2020 WVU vs Army 3.74 million viewers ESPN
Dec 29, 2020 Ok St vs Miami 3.2 million ESPN
Dec 29, 2020 Col VS UT 2.98 million ESPN
Jan 2, 2021 UK vs NC State 2.71 million ESPN
Dec 24, 2020 Haw vs Houston 1.9 million ESPN
Dec 19, 2020 Cin vs Tulsa 1.88 million ABC
Dec 22, 2020 UCF vs BYU 1.55 million ESPN
Dec 22, 2020 Mem VS FAU 1.27 million ESPN

LINK
There are many factors that contribute to bowl ratings. It could be time of day. The day of the week etc etc. Army is a service academy and service academies have a national following not to the extent of the Notre dames but there is a following to some extent. The real problem for wvu and the other remaining members is that once Oklahoma and Texas are gone there will be a large amount of eyeballs that will no longer be tuning in. Fans tend to watch their own team and teams from within there conference. How many K State vs Okie state games did you watch while Wvu was a big east member? That's it in a nutshell.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
I think that if those teams were added the payout would be bigger. But hey with no other conference looking to add teams the Big 12(8) will not survive as an 8 team league. And how many people watch WVU other than their fans????? At least add some bigger market teams to make some $$$$. If not Kansas , Iowa, WV will not carry this conference. Teams Like BYU , Central Florida, Memphis, Cincy, Houston could help save the league and add value to it. Plus Cincy , Houston , C Florida, BYU have more alumni than most of the remaining Big 12 schools. So more fans to watch
As far as people watching WVU besides our fans...I was wearing a WVU visor on a tennis court near SF. A guy walked up to me and wanted to talk WVU football--no ties to the state or school. Somebody on a message board after a home game said they sat beside a dad and son who had driven up from FL--no ties to the school or state. I don't understand it, but our appeal seems to be more like BYU/ND. That's why our TV ratings are higher than they would be if no one watched but hardcore WVU fans.

The big 12 will negotiate a settlement with Oklahoma and Texas. They will be gone next year or the year after. They will be ancient history by 2025

The big 12 will negotiate a settlement with Oklahoma and Texas. They will be gone after this season or by 2023 at the latest.

Triggered homer Internet tough guy 😂. Dude you’re a geek. I can tell by how you post. Love to give you a fat lip.

• Haha
Reactions: KingCoal
The big 12 will negotiate a settlement with Oklahoma and Texas. They will be gone after this season or by 2023 at the latest.
You state that as fact. What is the motivation for the Big 12 to negotiate anything and accept less money? What do the remaining 8 get out of it? As I pointed out earlier, no one has ever contested a GoR.

If each of the remaining 8 donate $1 million to a GoR defense fund that's $8 million for attorney's fees. UT and OK want out early? Sue us. In the meantime we own your tier 1 and 2 media rights for home games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT