ADVERTISEMENT

If Florence hits NC, what are options for game scheduling

I'm in Greensboro....early estimates are 5 to 8 inches of rain for us starting Friday morning....Thursday night looks like a better option.
Not an acceptable option IF the storm makes landfall anytime Thursday. Travel conditions will be awful whether the syormycoma before, during, or after the game. Can’t imagine anyone voting for
the game on Thursday. I also cannot imagine playing on Friday, Saturday, pr Sunday either if they consider team and fan travel safety. Those who did not live in the Triangle during Fran have no idea how much and the kinds of devastation we could receive. Consider thousands of large trees fallen across houses, roads, and power lines over an area of several square miles and cleanup/powera restoration taking days to weeks. Seems to me that playing the game anytime soon would not constitute good decision making.

West by God Virginia is the best team in CFB. They may lose 4 times this year but that doesn't mean anything.
Only thing that matters is what true homer WV fans think.

I'm guessing that moving the game this year to Morgantown and playing next year in Raleigh is the last resort for all involved so...what are the realistic options?

1. Move the game up a day or back a day? TV would need to be on board but this would probably be the least painful option

2. Move the game to Morgantown and play next year's in Raleigh? I've read where the logistics for this make it the least desirable option while still playing the game

3. Play the game at the end of the season? Not sure this even works with the scheduling of the Big 12 championship game and the semifinals

4. Cancel the game altogether? Doesn't seem to be a great option since WVU is expected to compete for a Big 12 title and possibly a berth in the semifinals. Having one less game played would certainly hurt our chances against the Pac-12's candidate so I doubt this will be done.

What are everyone's thoughts/feelings about what might, could and should happen for the game next week?
NC STATE has just announced the all University operations will halt as of 5:00 PM on Wednesday. This shows that they are serious about the dangers posed by this storm.

Reactions: LAMountaineer
After going through Irma last year and ending up in northern Ga then returning home to lots of damage...can't understand the reluctance of NC St to make a decision on a football game...Swap with WVU and play it in MoTown Saturday.

Looks like the most accurate model has it turning North. Close to the NC/VA border.
Still Raleigh is close enough to be in the danger zone it case it doesn't make such a dramatic turn
florence-spaghetti910a_1536588122247_17696242_ver1.0.png

If the game is cancelled, a strong possibility, would it be too late a schedule a FCS school to play later on in the schedule....??

I go to New Orleans cause it’s my favorite food on the planet. I love to drink beer and eat the Louisiana style food in New Orleans. It’s pretty simple. It’s a cool place to spend 2-3 nights in.

Phil1972 how much of that Florida growth is scum bags from the Caribbean Islands and other countries???? It’s bad growth. Florida is gaining ghetto trash at a fast rate. It’s a shame what happened to Florida. I know some still retire there but lots of the growth is foreigners.

WVU and Iowa State could agree to move their game in Ames from October 13 to October 20, when both WVU and Iowa State have an open date.
North Carolina State has an open date October 13 so the game with WVU could be played on that date.
See? Answer for everything. If TV would allow the shift, of course.

Phil1972 how much of that Florida growth is scum bags from the Caribbean Islands and other countries???? It’s bad growth

Scum bags from NY, Ma, Mi,and Oh you mean? Actually I would classify the bad growth as the influx of liberals and progressive hanger ons adding to the roles. lol

I go to New Orleans cause it’s my favorite food on the planet. I love to drink beer and eat the Louisiana style food in New Orleans. It’s pretty simple. It’s a cool place to spend 2-3 nights in.

Phil1972 how much of that Florida growth is scum bags from the Caribbean Islands and other countries???? It’s bad growth. Florida is gaining ghetto trash at a fast rate. It’s a shame what happened to Florida. I know some still retire there but lots of the growth is foreigners.

Wow, thanks for the illuminating reply.

what about moving it to the Georgia dome? Anybody know whats scheduled there this weekend? WVU can't flip flop with NCS because we only have 6 home games next year already with having 5 league road games plus Missouri away

what about moving it to the Georgia dome? Anybody know whats scheduled there this weekend? WVU can't flip flop with NCS because we only have 6 home games next year already with having 5 league road games plus Missouri away

I've heard that argument from the higher ups as well as it doesn't make as much sense as it used to. The number of home games argument is bogus to me as we are scheduling more neutral site games than we ever have so when it comes down to it, we have no problem doing it, we just need it to be on our terms? Play the game in Morgantown if you want it played, otherwise it will probably be canceled and will cost us big time if we are undefeated and beat Oklahoma (likely matchup) in the Big 12 Championship Game. Without this game, we will be as Bowlsby once said "psychologically disadvantaged" when the committee has a chance to stick a lousy Pac-12 team in the playoff. Would be sweet if these ACC douches would allow the game to be played anywhere that would have us but I get the feeling the ball is in NC-State's court at least 80/20 on this one.

GA Dome was imploded a year ago. You mean Mercedes Benz Stadium. Falcons have a home date on Sunday. It is a big event to have an event at the Benz. No way they will put a game in there on Saturday prior to a Falcons game on Sunday.

Georgia State Stadium (old Turner Field) would be an option if the schools could negotiate coming to Atlanta.

Would highly advise against it. Rising sea level and sinking ground - not a good combination. Price flood hazard insurance. Real Estate there is pretty pricey to begin with.
I would advise it. New Orleans is a great city getting better. Country is right about price though.

With this storm coming toward Wilmington, Raleigh is going to take a big hit as well. It will be days before they clean this mess up. Hurricane Matthew was bad enough and it was only a 1. This could get really nasty for quite a while.

Reactions: WVpride304
My station in Bama is showing a direct path thru Raleigh. One thing to think about is hotels. Coasters will be going inland to hotels and fans will want hotels and there won't be enough to go around. Traffic will suck. I think it was Hugo when I lived in NC.......SC wasn't smart enough until after to open all lanes of I-26 out of the coast. They finally had a plan afterwards. Folks were stranded on the highway trying to go inland.

Last edited:
WVU and Iowa State could agree to move their game in Ames from October 13 to October 20, when both WVU and Iowa State have an open date.
North Carolina State has an open date October 13 so the game with WVU could be played on that date.
See? Answer for everything. If TV would allow the shift, of course.

WVU plays Baylor on the 25th. Nice try but it's not happening. There is a reason the 20th is open and that's it.

Reactions: Rootmaster
This seems to be getting traction as a plan B.

“Word is State and WVU discussing playing the game later in the season. State’s bye is 10/13 and WV’s is 10/20... they play Iowa St on 10/13 but Iowa St also has a bye on 10/20. So it's possible they could move that game to 10/20 (their current bye) and play State on 10/13.”

This seems to be getting traction as a plan B.

“Word is State and WVU discussing playing the game later in the season. State’s bye is 10/13 and WV’s is 10/20... they play Iowa St on 10/13 but Iowa St also has a bye on 10/20. So it's possible they could move that game to 10/20 (their current bye) and play State on 10/13.”

So your good with 3 days prep for Baylor on the 25th after 2 straight road games from Raleigh to Ames then back. Having to rest on Sunday. Then play Baylor Thursday. Some only think of open dates and not what follows.

Reactions: countryroads89
This storm will not hit Murddle Beach. Gawd hisself won't allow hit. Hit's uh goin' north or south, give 'er take.

WVU plays Baylor on the 25th. Nice try but it's not happening. There is a reason the 20th is open and that's it.

Would it be impossible to move the Baylor game to Saturday the 27th? Seems Mountaineer field wont be hosting anything that day. I know TV folks might not like it, but wouldn't it be worse to forgo an entire game?

There is another West Virginia Team scheduled to play in the Carolinas this weekend. Marshall at South Carolina. Will it also get canceled? Maybe this is the one scenario that could get Marshall and WVU to play each other again? Play it at Mountaineer Field this Saturday.

There is another West Virginia Team scheduled to play in the Carolinas this weekend. Marshall at South Carolina. Will it also get canceled? Maybe this is the one scenario that could get Marshall and WVU to play each other again? Play it at Mountaineer Field this Saturday.
19znwe.jpg

Reactions: skygusty
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT