ADVERTISEMENT

If Florence hits NC, what are options for game scheduling

5-Technique

Junior
May 14, 2018
Johnny Ola's house
I'm guessing that moving the game this year to Morgantown and playing next year in Raleigh is the last resort for all involved so...what are the realistic options?

1. Move the game up a day or back a day? TV would need to be on board but this would probably be the least painful option

2. Move the game to Morgantown and play next year's in Raleigh? I've read where the logistics for this make it the least desirable option while still playing the game

3. Play the game at the end of the season? Not sure this even works with the scheduling of the Big 12 championship game and the semifinals

4. Cancel the game altogether? Doesn't seem to be a great option since WVU is expected to compete for a Big 12 title and possibly a berth in the semifinals. Having one less game played would certainly hurt our chances against the Pac-12's candidate so I doubt this will be done.

What are everyone's thoughts/feelings about what might, could and should happen for the game next week?

Truthfully I think they wait until Tuesday to see what happens.

The track is saying a slight turn to the North.
Believe towards Cape Hatteras?. Don't know the Carolina coast that well but close to the VA border.
Meaning that Raleigh and a lot of Carolina will be spared. Since the heaviest bands are North of the eyewall.
If it hits closer to S Carolina than Raleigh and a lot of Carolina will be hit hard.
Especially considering the elevation rises as you move away from the coast.

Lots of chatter here about moving the game to Sunday afternoon so we can still make it happen. So long as such a decision is made and announced by Wednesday so people can plan, i think we’d still have a mostly full stadium. Lots of interest in this game to see Ryan Finley vs Will Grier, two QBs projected as potential 2019 first round picks.

Either last year or the year before, i believe NC State played Notre Dame in a hurricane/tropical storm. It was an ugly mess on that field.

I'm guessing that moving the game this year to Morgantown and playing next year in Raleigh is the last resort for all involved so...what are the realistic options?

1. Move the game up a day or back a day? TV would need to be on board but this would probably be the least painful option

2. Move the game to Morgantown and play next year's in Raleigh? I've read where the logistics for this make it the least desirable option while still playing the game

3. Play the game at the end of the season? Not sure this even works with the scheduling of the Big 12 championship game and the semifinals

4. Cancel the game altogether? Doesn't seem to be a great option since WVU is expected to compete for a Big 12 title and possibly a berth in the semifinals. Having one less game played would certainly hurt our chances against the Pac-12's candidate so I doubt this will be done.

What are everyone's thoughts/feelings about what might, could and should happen for the game next week?

If game is canceled it won't be rescheduled.

Either last year or the year before, i believe NC State played Notre Dame in a hurricane/tropical storm. It was an ugly mess on that field.

Hurricane Matthew wasn't a direct hit.
Because of how the Carolinas are the tropical moisture gets rigged out like a wash cloth once it hits the Appalachians.
So if it was a direct hit those rain bands will be three times as strong not to mention tropical force winds even 150 miles inland

Hurricane Matthew wasn't a direct hit.
Because of how the Carolinas are the tropical moisture gets rigged out like a wash cloth once it hits the Appalachians.
So if it was a direct hit those rain bands will be three times as strong not to mention tropical force winds even 150 miles inland
It was the year before and we had 6 inches of rain in Greensboro...

That is what you get for moving down south. Potential natural disasters are a possibility every year. Florida or any beach especially. That’s why many leave Florida. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama have had bad issues as well. Alabama even gets bad tornadoes.

That is what you get for moving down south. Potential natural disasters are a possibility every year. Florida or any beach especially. That’s why many leave Florida. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama have had bad issues as well. Alabama even gets bad tornadoes.

I would take living on the Gulf Coast over Pittsburgh every day of the year.

Gulf Coast is a special place that grows on everyone. Eating fresh raw oysters in December while wearing a T-shirt and shorts can't be beat

I saw the 11pm update from National Hurricane Center -- and NOT GOOD.
They are saying all of their models syncing up with little variation in outcome - landfall in SE NC - making landfall as a CAT 4 on Thursday night... but then slamming almost to a halt and lingering around NC/VA for days - in a "Harvey-like scenario" of rainfall.
Of course, I hope they are wrong and it curves out to sea. But I don't see this game getting played.
-Winter Tim

They are saying all of their models syncing up with little variation in outcome - landfall in SE NC - making landfall as a CAT 4 on Thursday night... but then slamming almost to a halt and lingering around NC/VA for days - in a "Harvey-like scenario" of rainfall.
Of course, I hope they are wrong and it curves out to sea. But I don't see this game getting played.
-Winter Tim

There is a huge difference.
At that latitude the gulf stream may rise the surface temps but the deeper waters are much cooler than the Gulf.

Water temps even at the surface are 10 degrees cooler off the Va coast than the Gulf. A tropical storm needs water temperatures of 80 degrees or higher.
If it stays off shore it will slowly lose power because it cools the water.

At that latitude the gulf stream may rise the surface temps but the deeper waters are much cooler than the Gulf.
Water temps even at the surface are 10 degrees cooler off the Va coast than the Gulf. A tropical storm needs water temperatures of 80 degrees or higher.
If it stays off shore it will slowly lose power because it cools the water.

Understood. But the crazy thing about this hurricane is - it is going shoot like a rocket over the warm surface waters - not lingering over them as it stirs up cooler water from underneath - but then slam on the brakes right after landfall.
I was reading Hurricane Center talking about faster forward motion in day 3 being a "bad thing" - because it will get to the coast before it begins to degrade from the very thing you mentioned.

Also, they said sea temperature are running much above normal in its path. 29 to 29.5 C (85 degrees). Again, up-welling can cool the surface, but the storm will be moving fast by then.
I think the track is becoming set ... so let's hope it doesn't intensify like they think it will.

Understood. But the crazy thing about this hurricane is - it is going shoot like a rocket over the warm surface waters - not lingering over them as it stirs up cooler water from underneath - but then slam on the brakes right after landfall.
I was reading Hurricane Center talking about faster forward motion in day 3 being a "bad thing" - because it will get to the coast before it begins to degrade from the very thing you mentioned.

Also, they said sea temperature are running much above normal in its path. 29 to 29.5 C (85 degrees). Again, up-welling can cool the surface, but the storm will be moving fast by then.
I think the track is becoming set ... so let's hope it doesn't intensify like they think it will.

I am speaking about if it becomes stationary.
Only two TS have done that and they both did that in the same location.
TS Allison and Hurricane Harvey.

If it becomes stationary off of VA like I believe one or two models have said then the hurricane will slowly lose power.
Harvey was stationary over land but because it became stationary over the Coastal Bend of Texas it drew up water from the wetlands as well as the gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is warm even in the deep waters off of the Texas coast.

Do not know how the coast of VA is but I believe the Tidewater is somewhat soggy like Texas but not as bad.

-Winter Tim

Overreaction.
Harvey set all kinds of records for rainfall.
This is going back 100 years. Doubt a system that will become post tropical can bring that type of rainfall.

storm_06-16.gif

The orange ones are usually the most accurate historically.

Reactions: TheTruthof2018
The gulf has too many disasters. No thanks. I like my New Orleans vacations but I wouldn’t move to the gulf. No thanks.

Overreaction.
Harvey set all kinds of records for rainfall.
This is going back 100 years. Doubt a system that will become post tropical can bring that type of rainfall.

Also in GSO, everyone but one talk radio station is already freaking out. I'm going to get a picture of the bread and milk tonight.

Reactions: wvjeff
TS Fay (2008) stalled just off the coast of Melbourne, FL. We got tons of rain and flooding. I hope it doesn't stall like they are saying.

Last edited:
Marshall plays NC State in Huntington next Saturday, so perhaps WVU could talk them into playing a double header. WVU vs NC State at noon, Herd vs NC State immediately following your game.

Except for the hundreds of thousands who do each year lol. Because you vacation in your Mom's garage doesn't mean everyone does.

nobody vacations in New Orleans............ you may visit. You may roll in with a bachelorette party ready to tear it up or come into town to party for a football game....

but it's not a vacation spot.

Florida population in 2000 was 15.9 million; in 2018, 21.3 million.

Come on now Keatons...you are demonstrating regional ignorance lol.

New Orleans right now is the best place in the US to own property.
For 500,000 you could buy three houses that will double to triple in value in the next 25 years.
Say what you want about New Orleans but it has its fans.
Europeans with money are flocking to the city.
Same thing happened to San Francisco.

Come to Orlando Saturday. UCF at UNC will be canx like yours. UCF/WVU would make for a much better game than the other two anyway.

WVU is not competing for "the semifinals." WVU realistically would be the 8th or 9th best team this year in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT