ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD Guaranteed Rate Bowl: West Virginia football vs. Minnesota

If Nicco doesn't play like Brady in camp he's gonna ride the bench all year. It's unreal that kneel refuses pull Doege.

Pull Doege for what? GG is a good runner but not a great passer from what I've seen.

I'd say, if both (a) Nicco isn't going to be ready as a true freshman and (b) WVU doesn't get a QB in the portal then HCNB needs some blame.

Pull Doege for what? GG is a good runner but not a great passer from what I've seen.

I'd say, if both (a) Nicco isn't going to be ready as a true freshman and (b) WVU doesn't get a QB in the portal then HCNB needs some blame.
Some warm body from the sideline... or stands.

Would GG have been worse so far? Possibly, but I doubt it. And even if he was, how much worse could it be? 3 points instead of 6? 6 sacks instead of 5? Average 4 yards per completion instead of 4.8?

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
When it's a drive where it's very important that we get some points and when it's 3rd and 11 and we may have to go for it on 4th down, why do a high risk pass on 3rd down instead of a low risk pass that will at worst likely make it 4th and 5 instead of 4th and 11?

You might as well punt and push them back on 4th and 11 considering how shaky your offense is. But instead of creating a 4th and 11, do something more sensible on 3rd down and get a 4th and manageable.

I think the only true WVU fans are the half dozen in this thread. Not only is this game minor league with a minor league crowd but it’s embarrassing to be playing in front of a high school size crowd. Putting these two programs in Phoenix is absolutely absurd. Why would anyone spend the money to go out there and ruin their holiday watching an ok Minnesota team and crap WVU team. Nonsensical. If this isn’t a low point I don’t know what could be. WVU can score 50 points in the 4th quarter and win the game. This has to be the low point for Brown or he‘s done in two years.

They have to punt on their own side of the field, I think. It's just so frustrating to see the offense be so bad. Maybe you do go for it here in the vein of, the offense is so bad that you've got to take risks.

I think the only true WVU fans are the half dozen in this thread. Not only is this game minor league with a minor league crowd but it’s embarrassing to be playing in front of a high school size crowd. Putting these two programs in Phoenix is absolutely absurd. Why would anyone spend the money to go out there and ruin their holiday watching an ok Minnesota team and crap WVU team. Nonsensical. If this isn’t a low point I don’t know what could be. WVU can score 50 points in the 4th quarter and win the game. This has to be the low point for Brown or he‘s done in two years.

The size of the crowd is completely meaningless. This is what bowl games are now. The size of the crowd isn't the problem AFAIC, rather the impotence of the WVU offense is.

We’re just not a good team offensively. Between the Oline and QB, no wonder we struggle moving the ball. Not to mention that our coaches can’t call plays on the fly.

Neal’s gotta prove himself next year or he’s gone.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
And yet we are still on a 3 game win streak against pitt. And 14 of the last 20.

The question we all should be asking is this:

Do we have any players who would start for Minnesota?

Answer: Well there's, uh, well, uh, maybe, uh. ... No.

None of our guys would start for Minnesota.

That speaks volumes about this program. We have no playmakers, no size, no speed, no quarterback, no offensive line, no identity, no reason for hope.

We're a sinking ship. And HCNB is looking more like Gilligan every day.

The question we all should be asking is this:

Do we have any players who would start for Minnesota?

Answer: Well there's, uh, well, uh, maybe, uh. ... No.

None of our guys would start for Minnesota.

That speaks volumes about this program. We have no playmakers, no size, no speed, no quarterback, no offensive line, no identity, no reason for hope.

We're a sinking ship. And HCNB is looking more like Gilligan every day.
Nicco might bring in some buzz during the summer, but I doubt he'll start over Doege. The rope that Doege is afforded is astoundingly long and it's laughable and sad that brown insists on forcing the entire offense through him. Nicco will miss a blitz in August and need a perfect week of future practices to make up for it. Doege can throw. pick 6 and brown will give him credit for throwing a TD.

I'm 35. I can't remember a time when I suspect so LITTLE excitement for the coming year.

Last edited:
So who will Brown point the finger at for this performance? I know this won’t happen, but seeing the complete ineptness on offense tonight deserves a pink slip to every offensive coach. Pack their bags.

How would you like to be one of the poor souls who work in the ticket office and have to try to sell season tickets for next year? And you thought your job is bad.

I wonder what the advertising promo will be? "Come, watch our ship sink in Gilligan's 4th year as head coach." or maybe "Trust the climb, after we hit rock bottom." or maybe "Hope -- it's what other teams have."

Nicco might bring in some buzz during the summer, but I doubt he'll start over Doege. The rope that Doege is afforded is astoundingly long and it's laughable and sad that brown insists on forcing the entire offense through him. Nicco will miss a blitz in August an need a perfect week of future practices to up for it. Doege can throw. pick 6 and brown will give him credit for throwing a TD.

I'm 35. I can't remember a time when I suspect so LITTLE excitement for the coming year.
See Cignetti 1976-1979.

The size of the crowd is completely meaningless. This is what bowl games are now. The size of the crowd isn't the problem AFAIC, rather the impotence of the WVU offense is.

You missed the point. WVU is minor league this year playing in front of a minor league crowd and no WVU fan base. A truly middle of the pack BigTen program humiliated a Big12 bottom feeder WVU. Brown needs to beat Pitt next year and win at least 7 games or he’s got to go.

Reactions: KingCoal
Can we talk about what an incredible decision that Lyons made by extending Brown?

What a magnificent offensive output by WVU that we just seen.

The future is bright for WVU football.
Whatever you say bedpan....we lost a bowl game.....35 teams will....I am sure you are doing cartwheels in between sniffing those bathroom toilets you clean.

Enjoy the Peach Bowl and sitting on this year.
The acc chump lost to Western Michigan and isn't even rated in the top 10 and Peach Bowl tickets are going for two dollars.....LMAO.

Don't get shot in the new murder capital of the US.....LMAO!

I hated going to bed last night. After reading all these posts and seeing the final score I’m glad I chose to get some sleep.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Whatever you say bedpan....we lost a bowl game.....35 teams will....I am sure you are doing cartwheels in between sniffing those bathroom toilets you clean.
Get your head out of Brown's a$$ and see how his offensive staff is truly OFFENSIVE. That pathetic showing last night, after 3 weeks of practices, the same pathetic play calling, no rhythm, a QB that faints when he feels pressure, etc etc etc.

Reactions: Rootmaster
HCNB after the bowl game: "We are close in a lot of areas. We are really, really close. We got to do some things better to get back to where we want to be."

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. And using a hand grenade and blowing up this $hit show might be the best option.

HCNB after the bowl game: "We are close in a lot of areas. We are really, really close. We got to do some things better to get back to where we want to be."

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. And using a hand grenade and blowing up this $hit show might be the best option.

What point are we trying to "get back to", under Brown? 5-7? 6-4?

The team has never been in a good place while he has been the coach. The last time we were good was before he was here.

What a disaster your life is. Pick a profile troll.
So doofus...you think this year's bowl game and Kneel's three years have been good for the program? Get out of your basement and explore reality. What a tool you've become Biden boy.

Without getting involved in anyone's private pissing contest, I firmly believe that Coach Brown is incapable of doing the job here. Even if he stuck with Doege because he was the only real option, that is his fault for not developing a backup. In year three, we should have seen progress and not decline. Lyons needs to take responsibility for this as well. I don't see any real reason for optimism going into next year with our present staff.

Without getting involved in anyone's private pissing contest, I firmly believe that Coach Brown is incapable of doing the job here. Even if he stuck with Doege because he was the only real option, that is his fault for not developing a backup. In year three, we should have seen progress and not decline. Lyons needs to take responsibility for this as well. I don't see any real reason for optimism going into next year with our present staff.

The extension from Lyons was so absurd that if Kneel keeps tanking and gets fired, Lyons needs to go with him...

Right now, the BEST option is to blow up the staff. First out the door would be the Louisa Losers (Parker and Wright) and the Oline coach. Another losing season next year means that Gee will have to step in and fire both he and Lyons. The contract extension was both needless and unwarranted. That is ALL on Lyons.

Right now, the BEST option is to blow up the staff. First out the door would be the Louisa Losers (Parker and Wright) and the Oline coach. Another losing season next year means that Gee will have to step in and fire both he and Lyons. The contract extension was both needless and unwarranted. That is ALL on Lyons.
...and as usual, it's going to cost a lot of money. If that happens, the next hire has to be golden.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT