ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Bowlsby believes 2020 football season will start ‘close to on time’

What does Germany have to do with the Big 12?

Let's start using reasoning.

Pretty much all the schools in the Big 12 have said their plans right now are to have students on campus.

If you see the schools and states in the Big 12 start going the opposite way then you might have a point.

As of right now no one in the Big 12 doesn't believe there will be football.
I am using reasoning not one state in the big 12 or anywhere in the country is allowing large gatherings. Most universities around the country are saying they plan to have students on campus in the fall but until they make a final decision its only speculation. Bob Bowlsby and the AD's have no say in this matter. If places around the world are cancelling specific events expect the same here. If college football is to be played there is nothing that suggests that fans will be allowed in. Live sporting events with spectators are not a high priority for Governors and public health officials at this time.

I am using reasoning not one state in the big 12 or anywhere in the country is allowing large gatherings. Most universities around the country are saying they plan to have students on campus in the fall but until they make a final decision its only speculation. Bob Bowlsby and the AD's have no say in this matter. If places around the world are cancelling specific events expect the same here. If college football is to be played there is nothing that suggests that fans will be allowed in. Live sporting events with spectators are not a high priority for Governors and public health officials at this time.

The commissioner has a understanding of where each university is at.

Regarding the governors. You do know the Governor of Texas isn't going to stand in the way.
Every state is different. Andrew Cuomo most likely isn't going to show up to a Syracuse game but Greg Abbott at the University of Texas is pretty common.

What does Germany have to do with the Big 12?

Let's start using reasoning.

Pretty much all the schools in the Big 12 have said their plans right now are to have students on campus.

If you see the schools and states in the Big 12 start going the opposite way then you might have a point.

As of right now no one in the Big 12 doesn't believe there will be football.

The article and your boy Bowlsby contradict your claim...

It appears they are preparing for online classes.

Incorrect

Most schools have said they planned to have students in the fall.
Not hope. There are zero plans not to have students.

We can sit here all day and discuss this but as of right now unless something unusual happens there will be football in the Big 12.

I suspect some institutions may be a hundred percent online . Bob Bowlsby...

Baylor has already said their campus is opened.
Same as the Texas Tech system
University of Texas system will decide next month

I haven't heard one Big 12 school say in public they are planning not to open their campus.

Actually have to see what is going on instead of making ridiculous statements....

Like some are hoping WVU doesn't play football.

Trust me when I tell you that there is a very high probability that WVU plays football.

Not just because Trump is highly popular in WV but because WVU needs football to pay the bills.

People want things back to normal in the fall for the election.
If you haven't figured that out than you probably have your head stuck in the sand.

You understand that there are places playing politics with the Coronavirus.
It is sad. But for the most part this isn't going to stop states where Trump is highly popular
I don't think there is a state where he is anymore popular than West VA

Our United States Constitution is based on certain basic concepts that include three primary principles: inherent rights, government by the people, and separation of powers. Self-government is the most important principle in the U.S. Constitution.

Liberals are doing their best to change this.

The commissioner has a understanding of where each university is at.

Regarding the governors. You do know the Governor of Texas isn't going to stand in the way.
Every state is different. Andrew Cuomo most likely isn't going to show up to a Syracuse game but Greg Abbott at the University of Texas is pretty common.
The governor of Texas is already standing in the way. He has implemented social distancing requirements as has every other Governor in america. Things will not be back to normal come fall.

Those states don't matter to West VA

This is where the issue is at. What happens in New York has zero impact on WV. Neither does what happens in PA.

This is what you apparently can’t understand. I know what I’m dealing with in you so that’s that.

Just have to understand what you are dealing with.

The state of Texas sees this as a gamble. This isn't just with college football it is with business in general.

If California and New York want to push government and inhibit your ability to conduct business you can move to Texas

Georgia is doing the same thing.

But they don't have what Texas provides.
Reason why Tesla is pretty much moving a lot of their operations from California to Texas.

WVU should selling recruits that other schools in the region may not play football.

WVU has to make the most of this and hit recruiting really hard.
Just have to understand what you are dealing with.

The state of Texas sees this as a gamble. This isn't just with college football it is with business in general.

If California and New York want to push government and inhibit your ability to conduct business you can move to Texas

Georgia is doing the same thing.

But they don't have what Texas provides.
Reason why Tesla is pretty much moving a lot of their operations from California to Texas.

WVU should selling recruits that other schools in the region may not play football.

WVU has to make the most of this and hit recruiting really hard.
Why would "other schools in the region may not play football" be good for wv. Oh, that's right, they don't play other schools in the region.

Alabama is talking with TCU about playing them instead of USC

Big 12 and SEC could be the only conferences playing football this year

PAC 12 talking about some weird schedule maybe being played after the football season

Wish in one hand, and sh!t in the other, then tell me which hand fills up first, TownesVanZandt. Reduce the amount of hippie lettuce in your diet before you post again.

[roll]

Truth hurts for some people.

Paul Finebaum is the one claiming this.

TCU needs a replacement for Cal

Alabama needs one for USC

Since Ohio State isn't looking for one. It makes you wonder what the B1G is going to do.

The SEC homer with ears the size of frisbees? Yeah, you should believe him. It is more likely that schools in more open states will play each other, regardless of conference affiliation, then only two Power 5 conferences will play games.

You have conference affiliations to worry about
Meaning Ohio State doesn't control their TV rights.
Ohio State can possibly play but it won't be on TV unless the B1G plays.

You have conference affiliations to worry about
Meaning Ohio State doesn't control their TV rights.
Ohio State can possibly play but it won't be on TV unless the B1G plays.
You love to hide behind the Big 12 flag, just like Vanderbilt and Kentucky fans hide behind the SEC banner. This isn't about conferences; it's about states. You should be a lot less cocky with Justice being our Governor. Big Jim is scared to death to reopen our economy. He just said today that there is no way that he is going to allow white water rafting to resume because of the handful of rafters being so close together...guess what this means for schools and sporting events, which involve many more people in confined spaces? Put the bong down, and think.

Big 12 and SEC happen to have states where there shouldn't be an issue.

Yes it is about states. More importantly about the collection of states.

We will see by June 15 where everyone is at.

So MLB forced Arizona to lift their stay at home orders.

Now baseball teams can prepare for the season.

The question becomes what states do this for college football teams so.off season conditioning can happen.
Obviously not California nor Oregon.

What about Michigan, PA, Illinois and New Jersey

What about Michigan?
I think it's going to come down to whether or not they're willing to play in an empty stadium. Governor is already tossing out BS that she can't see a circumstance where people will be able to flock to huge arenas. Michigan makes more than half their sports revenue from football fans. Then you add in that Michigan is a very liberal institution, led by very liberal people, and it's hard to say how this will play out. I will say that if Michigan doesn't play football in 2020, it will hurt them for many years to come, due to players leaving, players de-commiting, future players having 2nd thoughts about committing in the future. This will hold true for other programs, assuming a large chunk of the country continues to play, particularly those schools in states run by conservatives (aka, the South)

I think it's going to come down to whether or not they're willing to play in an empty stadium. Governor is already tossing out BS that she can't see a circumstance where people will be able to flock to huge arenas. Michigan makes more than half their sports revenue from football fans. Then you add in that Michigan is a very liberal institution, led by very liberal people, and it's hard to say how this will play out. I will say that if Michigan doesn't play football in 2020, it will hurt them for many years to come, due to players leaving, players de-commiting, future players having 2nd thoughts about committing in the future. This will hold true for other programs, assuming a large chunk of the country continues to play, particularly those schools in states run by conservatives (aka, the South)

I am willing to bet their liberal ideals will change when this hits their own pocket book, and budgets.

It is easy to be sanctimonious when you have nothing on the line. When they are facing the barrel, they will find a way to rationalize a change of heart.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
What about West Virginia? Our Governor is nowhere close to allowing students to go to school or large groups of people to congregate, notwithstanding the fact that fewer than 60 West Virginians have died because of the virus, and our positive test rate is barely above 2%. I encourage WVU fans, such as PrideVanZandt, to listen to our Governor's daily briefings (noon today) to better inform themselves as to relevant facts:

wvmetronews.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/metronews/includes/audioplayer.php?stream=livestreamD

I am willing to bet their liberal ideals will change when this hits their own pocket book, and budgets.

It is easy to be sanctimonious when you have nothing on the line. When they are facing the barrel, they will find a way to rationalize a change of heart.
Good post above. Do you mean like almost all governmental employees, who get paid no matter what, or the people making more on unemployment than working?

Good post above. Do you mean like almost all governmental employees, who get paid no matter what, or the people making more on unemployment than working?

Well regarding universities, just wait until they start slashing budgets and dumping departments.

And it's happening. My local liberal arts university is already on the ropes, and might realize that they dont really need 10 Diversity Coordinators, Student Engagement Officers, ect.

When political philosophy and reality meet head to head, normally reality wins.

I welcome anyone willing to sacrifice their incomes to maintain their political ideals, but thats usually a short line of folks.

I may be wrong, but I interpret WVU's furloughs as a possible benefit to many of the laid-off employees. Most people who make less than $52,000/year will make more in unemployment compensation benefits through at least July than they would have earned as active employees, due to the $600/week federal "kicker" being added to the State's maximum benefit of $424/week.

I may be wrong, but I interpret WVU's furloughs as a possible benefit to many of the laid-off employees. Most people who make less than $52,000/year will make more in unemployment compensation benefits through at least July than they would have earned as active employees, due to the $600/week federal "kicker" being added to the State's maximum benefit of $424/week.

Yeah, it is a real shocker many folks in this situation dont want to return to work.

That $600 only runs through July I believe.

Yeah, it is a real shocker many folks in this situation dont want to return to work.

That $600 only runs through July I believe.
Not if Nancy Pelosi and her friends get their way! Incidentally, WVU's furloughs are scheduled to end in late July, which is no coincidence, I'm sure.

Not if Nancy Pelosi and her friends get their way! Incidentally, WVU's furloughs are scheduled to end in late July, which is no coincidence, I'm sure.

If someone is out of a job, fine...let them have it. But if you are called back and refuse then that's just too bad. There is gonna be a lot of BS from employees about this...

You love to hide behind the Big 12 flag, just like Vanderbilt and Kentucky fans hide behind the SEC banner. This isn't about conferences; it's about states. You should be a lot less cocky with Justice being our Governor. Big Jim is scared to death to reopen our economy. He just said today that there is no way that he is going to allow white water rafting to resume because of the handful of rafters being so close together...guess what this means for schools and sporting events, which involve many more people in confined spaces? Put the bong down, and think.
There is a misconception that opening the economy means getting back to normal. Most states that have started to open are just allowing business that were considered non essential to resume operations. But those operations have social distancing in place. The states that allow in person dining only allow 25-50% capacity. Some that have allowed non essential business to open only allow curb side or reduced capacity. So in essence nothing is normal. Even the states that never officially had stay at home orders had social distancing requirements in place. Oklahoma had the least requirements of any state and they still closed schools put restrictions on restaurants and non essential business. The college football blow hards like finebaum can talk all they want but they have no say in this decision. If we have a college season it won't be a typical one. Probably a shortened schedule conference games only and don't expect fans in the stands. Until pro sports allows them back in its not gonna happen at the college level. The nfl has said it hopes to have fans in the stands at some time in the season but acknowledges that it will be difficult. College presidents will be more cautious in there approach then a private business will.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I just heard on 97.1 the Fan in Columbus that the B1G is considering scheduling home-and-home games between conference schools that are in states that are opening up, in order to make up for the games that may be lost because some B1G schools are in states that won't allow college football games, which might include Rutgers, Illinois, and Northwestern.

Rumor is the B1G and PAC will play their own season together.

Kinda like the NIT

The rest play for the real NC.

If you see Ohio State trying to reschedule the Oregon game you know they will play in the fall

More really bad trolling by PrideVanZandt. The day that the B1G plays in the football NIT is the day that somebody (anybody) will believe that Pride is a Texas fan or has an IQ above room temperature. Run along now, troll.

I heard on China Radio that clone college football teams are on Panama flagged frighters bound for the US. The teams will play expanded seasons beginning July 9th in California....Washington...and Oregon. Fans will be allowed in if wearing Hazmat suits. Deal was brokered by Nancy Pelosi...Chuck Shumer...CNN...and the Washington Post. I was skeptical but Biden's press secretary and NPR say the reports are true!

You are living in your own bubble...

Since 1998 when we started having championships between all the conferences.

B1G has had one school capable of winning a NC. Ohio State.
There was a map that was floating around Twitter a few weeks ago showing where the NC have come from..since 1998

If you look at recruiting.
One B1G school in the Top 10 in 2020. That's it.

Without the B1G and PAC 12 we only lose one program worth a shit.
Ohio State

We will see what happens with the B1G. Going to be interesting. But I highly doubt they will let some schools play while others not when they can just wait for everyone and then play the PAC.

Be like the old days when PAC and B1G schools played each other and created a big circle jerk.

All-Time Winningest College Football Programs:

1. Michigan - .729 (B1G)
2. Ohio State - .729 (B1G)
3. Boise State - .729 (MWC)
4. Notre Dame - .728 (IND)
5. Alabama - .727 (SEC)

All-Time Winningest College Football Programs:

1. Michigan - .729 (B1G)
2. Ohio State - .729 (B1G)
3. Boise State - .729 (MWC)
4. Notre Dame - .728 (IND)
5. Alabama - .727 (SEC)
I'm not sure what TVZ's point is, other than showing off his butt-hurt towards the B1G once again. One can easily look at last year's conference rankings (as a whole), as well as previous years to determine he's full of $hit. When looking at the last four years of recruiting rankings (using this very site), the four year average rankings are as follows: Ohio State 7.5 ranking, Michigan 12.25 ranking, Texas 13.0 ranking, and WVU 39.5 ranking. Regardless of the masquerade costume he happens to put on, both of his teams fall below OSU and UM, and their win/loss totals go hand in hand.

Current Rivals 2021 Recruiting Rankings:

1. Ohio State (B1G)
2. Tennessee (SEC)
3. Clemson (ACC)
4. USC (PAC)
5. Florida (SEC)
6. North Carolina (ACC)
7. Michigan (B1G)
8. Minnesota (B1G)
9. Notre Dame (IND)
10. Iowa (B1G)

Top ranked Big 12 school: Texas at No. 14, the only Big 12 member in the Top 20.

Doesn't matter.

You only have one school in the B1G that is doing anything

Ohio State

This has nothing to do with WVU.
This is just the fact that if you just have the SEC, ACC and Big 12 playing football you aren't missing much

SEC would be the only conference that probably could have their own Championship.

ESPN would probably definitely attempt to spin that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT