ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Program

jlaudiomaster

All-Conference
Aug 4, 2004
Can we talk about how we have zero (0) commitments for next year?

I know I’m not a blue lotter, but that just seems crazy to me that we don’t have a single commitment.

It sure doesn’t boost my confidence that the program will improve year over year with no shiny exciting recruits waiting in the wing. I guess there is always the portal.

Can we talk about how we have zero (0) commitments for next year?

I know I’m not a blue lotter, but that just seems crazy to me that we don’t have a single commitment.

It sure doesn’t boost my confidence that the program will improve year over year with no shiny exciting recruits waiting in the wing. I guess there is always the portal.
Pretty easy to understand, and Huggs has said this recently. It's called "The Transfer Portal". Like it or not, that's the new form of recruiting. Some coaches like taking upper class players that have already been in the grind, been in the classroom, and have some experience over incoming freshman who have not.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Pretty easy to understand, and Huggs has said this recently. It's called "The Transfer Portal". Like it or not, that's the new form of recruiting. Some coaches like taking upper class players that have already been in the grind, been in the classroom, and have some experience over incoming freshman who have not.
That may be our only option or the direction we go, but Huggins has already complained about the portal in that the kids aren’t together long enough to gell. So which is it? I mean, not every program is stuck in or near the bottom of their conference every year with a HOF coach who has one of the nations top salary’s.

Reactions: Mitch D.
That may be our only option or the direction we go, but Huggins has already complained about the portal in that the kids aren’t together long enough to gell. So which is it? I mean, not every program is stuck in or near the bottom of their conference every year with a HOF coach who has one of the nations top salary’s.
You should probably conduct a little more research instead of looking like a fool.

"I thought I'd hate it. I thought I'd hate it and I like it. The bad thing is the last time I checked there were 460 kids still in the portal and don't have a place to go. That's wrong. But as long as you're able to pick out who you want like we did, it's pretty good. I liked it."

You should probably conduct a little more research instead of looking like a fool.

"I thought I'd hate it. I thought I'd hate it and I like it. The bad thing is the last time I checked there were 460 kids still in the portal and don't have a place to go. That's wrong. But as long as you're able to pick out who you want like we did, it's pretty good. I liked it."
Not to make you look dumb, but well after the September quote that you posted, on Jan 21 - "We did a lot of thing that first-year guys do or that guys who aren't comfortable do," Huggins said. "It's a lot harder than what you think it is."
…..
"I didn't know what to do with the portal guys, to be honest with you," Huggins said. "You're not teaching. You're trying to. You're teaching, but you're trying to break habits that they have accumulated, some of them over three or four stops. So, now you're trying to get them to do what we do, what we believe is the right way, and it takes them time."

And this but one reference. I’m sure I could find more if I really wanted to not have a life. This is a message board and my post was intended to elicit some conversation, but I guess personal attacks and being an smartass represents the standard around here.

Not to make you look dumb, but well after the September quote that you posted, on Jan 21 - "We did a lot of thing that first-year guys do or that guys who aren't comfortable do," Huggins said. "It's a lot harder than what you think it is."
…..
"I didn't know what to do with the portal guys, to be honest with you," Huggins said. "You're not teaching. You're trying to. You're teaching, but you're trying to break habits that they have accumulated, some of them over three or four stops. So, now you're trying to get them to do what we do, what we believe is the right way, and it takes them time."

And this but one reference. I’m sure I could find more if I really wanted to not have a life. This is a message board and my post was intended to elicit some conversation, but I guess personal attacks and being an smartass represents the standard around here.
So where is he saying he hates the portal? He’s saying it’s difficult.

7b741f.jpg

Reactions: KingCoal
Once upon a time, WVU men's head basketball coach Bob Huggins believed that the transfer portal would ruin college athletics.

“I don’t think the transfer portal is good for your fans,” Huggins said last year. “I don’t think years from now our fans are going to be talking about a guy who played here for a year. I kind of favor having the guys here [for multiple years].”

Now, that frame of thinking has changed slightly as Huggins admitted earlier this week that he likes the portal. Well, at least some aspects of it.

West Virginia took more than a few hits to the portal this offseason with the departures of Jalen Bridges, Isaiah Cottrell, and Sean McNeil - all of whom were in the starting lineup to begin the season. Those losses, however, created openings for some major additions, most notably G Erik Stevenson (South Carolina) and F Tre Mitchell (Texas).

"The ball goes in," Huggins answered when asked what he likes about his top two transfers. "They both shoot it. They're both competitive. They've both played at the highest level. They've been around, they've played for good coaches and have played in very competitive leagues. If anybody ought to be ready to go, it ought to be those guys."

- Schuyler Callihan
Sep 30, 2022 5:27 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT