ADVERTISEMENT

After watching Tech-KState replay...

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
After watching the first three quarters of the Texas Tech-Kansas game on my DVR recording (at my age, I’m going to sleep now):

1. Tech’s Mahomes will be VERY difficult to stop. On most pass plays he had a quick choice of the right flat, over the middle, deep and scramble, and he’s a big QB who’s hard to bring down when he scrambles. That’s why he ran for 3 TDs. He also gets rid of the ball quickly if necessary, hitting the receivers, even when he’s on the run or dodging tacklers. It’s a rare quality. Tough to defend. And one reason why Tech only punted TWICE in the entire game.
  2. Tech’s kickoff coverage is very undisciplined, which could set up Shelton Gibson for going to the house. Kansas State averaged 30.2 yards PER RETURN.
  3. Skyler should have a field day with his passing game and scrambling runs (NOT on designed QB keepers).
  4. Tech’s defense is ripe for Crawford to pick up a LOT of yardage, moreso than Shell. Quick moves on the run will fare better against Tech’s defense than trying to ramrod ahead.
  5. Tech is a fairly undisciplined team, as reflected in most of its penalties being 15-yarders. Those can be quite damaging at the wrong time.
  6. Tech is about as good a 3rd-down team as I’ve seen in college football today. 9 for 9 before halftime.
WVU will almost have to play the Tech offense one on one all over the field. That’s a tough one, particularly since Mahomes can hit receivers quickly while scrambling. Zoning could be lethal to the WVU defense.

This is my opinion. Most of you know I was a sportswriter for 15 years who was paid to analyze these things. Take it with a grain of salt. Feel free to come back after WVU plays Tech and rip on me if I’m wrong. I just thought you might want to know what to look for on Saturday.

I think WVU will take Tech. I wouldn’t bet on it because I learned at a young age never to bet on college football. Too unpredictable. I just cheer on my alma mater.

Let’s bring on the Mountaineers!

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

I just caught bits and pieces of that game. I will say this...I'm glad Mahomes played. The more he gets hit and has to throw with that shoulder the quicker it will fatigue and the more susceptible he will be to an errant throw.

My key will be how well our CBs will jam their receivers at the LOS. If they can buy our DL 1-2 more seconds to get to Mahomes, then good things will happen. Air raid offenses are all very timing based as well. That kind of stuff knocks off timing. I like Douglas' aggression at the point of attack. Hopefully our other CBs follow suit. Having those guys running around free in our backfield will make for a long day.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
Off topic but wanted to get your folks feelings out there but my feelings so far this year (and after watching the ESPN playoff show last night) of course nobody believes in us (duuuuuuuuh no brainer). ESPN blog site still has Choklahoma the team to beat in conference (read an article on there yesterday stating how nobody wants to play them right now. I think I speak for the team and everyone else when I say bring your ass to Morgantown and find out how we don't want to play you). I think we have beaten some pretty good teams if you look at it even though on paper it may not look like a Picasso. Though its not been pretty (but I've always been taught a win is a win) Missouri shoulda beat Georgia, Youngstown had plenty of talent just no depth, K St gave Stanford all they wanted, us as well and did what they needed to do to take out Texas Tech. And BYU's win in Lansing last weekend is not being discussed enough. I think those 4 games plus another nicely placed bye week has us ready to roll the rest of the way starting Saturday.

It's not so much talking up BYU as it is souring on MSU. The bloom is off that rose for sure.
I think the answer is in-between. BYU and MSU are pretty good teams. The problem is that "pretty good" is a major step down for MSU compared with the last several years.

I wouldn't rule out Kansas State surprising Oklahoma, thus burying the idea that the Sooners will be resurrected to win the Big 12 and maybe even make the Football Final Four.
Wily Bill Snyder damn near beat WVU (17-16), took the #1 offense in the nation down (44-38). He's so damn quiet and cool on the sidelines while other coaches rant and rave. His team reflect that. We'll see.

Meanwhile, WVU has to deal with the offense juggernaut, Texas Tech. I think Gibby's defense will hold Tech below its season scoring average, but its QB scares the beejeebees out of me. Tall, solid body. Quick release. Always 3 options plus scrambling with the ball himself (for 3 TDs against K State). Gibby and the defense have their work cut out for them on Saturday.

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Long, sustained drives by the offense with a good running game will help the defense. I'm sure that's part of Holgs game plan; eat a lot of clock while on offense.

I just caught bits and pieces of that game. I will say this...I'm glad Mahomes played. The more he gets hit and has to throw with that shoulder the quicker it will fatigue and the more susceptible he will be to an errant throw.

My key will be how well our CBs will jam their receivers at the LOS. If they can buy our DL 1-2 more seconds to get to Mahomes, then good things will happen. Air raid offenses are all very timing based as well. That kind of stuff knocks off timing. I like Douglas' aggression at the point of attack. Hopefully our other CBs follow suit. Having those guys running around free in our backfield will make for a long day.

From the way he looked at the end of that game, one or two good sacks and his shoulder is going to be bothering him again. The only bad thing is that his back-up looked as good as he did !

From the way he looked at the end of that game, one or two good sacks and his shoulder is going to be bothering him again. The only bad thing is that his back-up looked as good as he did !

Mahomes did seem less effective in the final quarter. I don't know if WVU can hammer him, though. We seem to be more effective going for interceptions and fumbles, the takeaways.

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

The traditional scenario for a "coverage sack" results in a scramble with Mahomes and generally a rushing gain, at least in the one or two TTU games I've seen on TV. A couple of hard hits on him out of the pocket once he takes off may cause a flare up on that shoulder. I think our LBs need to step it up for this game along with the DBs. Make him run, hit him hard and we win this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT