ADVERTISEMENT

Yost, McKay, Saban, Rodriguez, Fisher

Lou Holtz-Fallensby WV (northern panhandle)

Terry & Tommy Bowden-26505

There's one other big name I know I'm forgetting. It will come to me soon. I don't mean Doc Holiday either.

I think Tony Gibson-he will be a HC one day.

Btw Saban, Fisher, Yost, & McKay all have NCs. The Product is not exactly on the same level.

Lou Holtz-Fallensby WV (northern panhandle)

Terry & Tommy Bowden-26505

There's one other big name I know I'm forgetting. It will come to me soon. I don't mean Doc Holiday either.

I think Tony Gibson-he will be a HC one day.

Btw Saban, Fisher, Yost, & McKay all have NCs. The Product is not exactly on the same level.

Forgot those guys. Any great college coaches from the southern part of the state?

Rodriguez!!!! What the hell is he doing in this group. He
Is a terrible coach. After this season, he will be doing
commercials for Hair Club for Men. The guy knows
how to fake cry thinking people will feel sorry for him.

Fielding Harris “Hurry Up” Yost, who pre-dated the Air Raid offenses by a century by out-scoring his opponents 2,821-42, was born in Fairview and coached Ohio Wesleyan, Nebraska-Lincoln, Kansas, Stanford, San Jose State and Michigan.

Tom and Terry Bowden were not born in West Virginia.

Jimbo Fisher was born in Clarksburg and coaches Florida State.

Cam Henderson was born in Joetown (Marion County) and coached Muskingum, Davis & Elkins and Marshall.

Lou Holtz was born in Follansbee and coached William & Mary, North Carolina State, Arkansas, Minnesota and Notre Dame.

John McKay was born in Everettville and coached Southern Cal and the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Rich Rodriguez was from Grant Town (Marion County) and coached Salem, Glenville, West Virginia, Michigan and Arizona.

Ira Rodgers was born in Bethany, West Virginia and coached West Virginia and was my phys ed teacher during my undergraduate days in the School of Journalism. He threw out the basketball, had us choose up sides and play.

Nick Saban was from Carolina and coached Toledo, Michigan State, Louisiana State and Alabama, plus the Miami Dolphins.

Ben Schwartzwalder was born in Point Pleasant and coached Muhlenberg and Syracuse.

Bill Stewart was born in New Martinsville and coached VMI and West Virginia plus Canadian pro teams in Montreal and Winnipeg.

Rick Tolley was born in Mullens and coached Marshall and died in the 1970 plane crash that also killed many of his players.

Last edited:
They didnt do their coaching here to help the state, so I couldn't care less how they do.
Once a West Virginian, always a West Virginian. Once a Mountaineer, always a Mountaineer. I wish them all well after they leave the state, as I did, for financial reasons. Why does Pastilong get a pass in the Rich situation? If Oliver Luck had been AD, Rich still would be here and WVU might have a national title to go with the one in 1922 (if there had been a national champ in that year).

Joe stydahar coached 51 la rams to nfl championship from shinnston harrison co

Joe stydahar coached 51 la rams to nfl championship from shinnston harrison co

Joe was not born in West Virginia, but in Kaylor, Pennsylvania. But he was reared in Shinnston.

Stajdhhar (name was changed later) was quite a player, too.

Good enough to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Played for WVU.

I only concentrated on West Virginia natives who became college coaches (and added their NFL careers if they had one).

Fielding Harris “Hurry Up” Yost, who pre-dated the Air Raid offenses by a century by out-scoring his opponents 2,821-42, was born in Fairview and coached Ohio Wesleyan, Nebraska-Lincoln, Kansas, Stanford, San Jose State and Michigan.

Tom and Terry Bowden were not born in West Virginia.

Jimbo Fisher was born in Clarksburg and coaches Florida State.

Cam Henderson was born in Joetown (Marion County) and coached Muskingum, Davis & Elkins and Marshall.

Lou Holtz was born in Follansbee and coached William & Mary, North Carolina State, Arkansas, Minnesota and Notre Dame.

John McKay was born in Everettville and coached Southern Cal and the Tampa Bay Bucs.

Rich Rodriguez was from Grant Town (Marion County) and coached Salem, Glenville, West Virginia, Michigan and Arizona.

Ira Rodgers was born in Bethany, West Virginia and coached West Virginia and was my phys ed teacher during my undergraduate days in the School of Journalism. He threw out the basketball, had us choose up sides and play.

Nick Saban was from Carolina and coached Toledo, Michigan State, Louisiana State and Alabama, plus the Miami Dolphins.

Ben Schwartzwalder was born in Point Pleasant and coached Muhlenberg and Syracuse.

Bill Stewart was born in New Martinsville and coached VMI and West Virginia plus Canadian pro teams in Montreal and Winnipeg.

Rick Tolley was born in Mullens and coached Marshall and died in the 1970 plane crash that also killed many of his players.
Schwartzwalder is another great I overlooked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT