ADVERTISEMENT

Lane Kiffin a distant 2nd

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009

Lane Kiffin is a distant second-favorite behind Lanning at +700. Steve Sarkisian and Mike Norvell are next at +800 and +1000. You can see the top 10 below:

Dan Lanning -300
Lane Kiffin +700
Steve Sarkisian +800
Mike Norvell +1000
Kalen DeBoer +1400
Curt Cignetti +1400
Dabo Swinney +1600
Bob Stoops +1600
Pat Shurmur +2000
Urban Meyer +2000

Shortly after the Saban news was announced, Lanning was listed as the favorite at +300. He was only slightly ahead of Swinney (+400) and Kiffin (+500), so there was a major odds shift overnight. One report on Wednesday night claimed Lanning was already in Tuscaloosa for a visit, which could explain the swing.

Lanning has been the head coach at Oregon the last two seasons. The 37-year-old is from Missouri and has SEC experience.

Lanning served as a graduate assistant for Alabama in 2015 and then was with Georgia from 2018-2021 before being hired by Oregon.

With the Ducks, Lanning has gone 22-5 in two seasons, producing double-digit wins in both years. Oregon went 12-2 this season, losing twice to Washington.

All indications have been that Lanning is Alabama’s top target.

I don’t know why Kirby Smart isn’t considered. THAT is who Alabama should be after with a blank check.
Why would he leave Georgia when he's already made them top dog of SEC? Georgia will rule over the SEC for at least the next decade or two.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
Why would he leave Georgia when he's already made them top dog of SEC? Georgia will rule over the SEC for at least the next decade or two.
Don’t count out Ole Miss. I think they also might be the next dynasty in the near future.

I would be careful with the "word" dynasty. I don't think we will see a Saban-era at Bama dynasty again until things change with college football. Kirby and UGA may get close to 6 championships in 17 years but I will be willing to bet against it. I can see Lane winning one at Ole Miss but will be surprised he gets more than that. He will wear out his welcome as he has everywhere he has been.

I agree Dan Lanning is the man Bama will want more than any other. He is a darn good coach and a great recruiter. In addition, players love him as do boosters and administrators. Total package and he knows the SEC and the south.

One thing I am glad is I've seen zero comments anywhere about Jimbo possibly going to Bama. Thank god no one has been that stupid yet.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
Lanning said he was staying at Oregon and not going to Bama. Is he pulling a Rich Rod or is he really staying at Oregon? It would be funny if Kiffen said no....

Yes, Lanning said that earlier. And he is on the Pat McAfee show right now. He is not scum like RichRod so I am believing he will stay at Oregon.

I believe Lanning too. Oregon is a program willing to do what it takes to win and take care of their own. They used to be nothing special, but they made a committment to football and invested in it big time, and it has paid off for them. No reason we cant mimic their success...

I believe Lanning too. Oregon is a program willing to do what it takes to win and take care of their own. They used to be nothing special, but they made a committment to football and invested in it big time, and it has paid off for them. No reason we cant mimic their success...
Oregon is and was nothing without Nike. Once Phil Knight is gone, they’re done.

In the pecking order, Alabama trumps Georgia. There’s different tiers of blueblood programs. The only comparison to Alabama would be Notre Dame and maybe Michigan.

The only smart people who would take the Alabama job are those who want to get a nice fat paycheck to retire on in a few years.

On PTI tonight, Tony mentioned Urban. In a strange way, that could happen. Would be just another reason to root against Bama

I don’t know why Kirby Smart isn’t considered. THAT is who Alabama should be after with a blank check.
There is an old saying: you don't want to be the man that succeeds the man. You want to be the man that succeeds the man that succeeded the man. This holds true especially if you already have a good job.

Reactions: Euell
I don't know why people thought Lanning would/should leave Oregon for Alabama. What makes Bama a better job? Look at what it was before Saban. Georgia has taken over. Lanning made the right decision by staying. He will be in the mix in the Big 10 for as long as he wants.

On PTI tonight, Tony mentioned Urban. In a strange way, that could happen. Would be just another reason to root against Bama
Watched that and heard that too. But a lot of smoke out there that Notre Dame's coach (Freeman) is the frontrunner, if he wants it. If that were to happen, I could see Urban Meyer to go to Notre Dame instead.

Watched that and heard that too. But a lot of smoke out there that Notre Dame's coach (Freeman) is the frontrunner, if he wants it. If that were to happen, I could see Urban Meyer to go to Notre Dame instead.
That is a possibility as well. On your comment about Lanning, when a head coach has a connection to a job (previously worked at Alabama and has a house still in the south) in addition to having such great recruiting connections in the region, a blue blood program is going to be attractive. But I agree with you on Oregon and I think he will be there for a very long time.

That is a possibility as well. On your comment about Lanning, when a head coach has a connection to a job (previously worked at Alabama and has a house still in the south) in addition to having such great recruiting connections in the region, a blue blood program is going to be attractive. But I agree with you on Oregon and I think he will be there for a very long time.
I agree. But before Saban, Alabama hadn't been relevant for a long time. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this, but I can see Alabama falling back hard. Not saying they will go back to winning 4 games, but their reign may be over for a while.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
I'm not surprised about Lanning passing on Alabama. It's difficult to succeed a legend, especially when he was still producing results. I remember when Spurrier abruptly left Florida, high-level candidates passed on the job. It wasn't because they weren't interested. It's they didn't want to be the guy after the guy. I think Bama will end up with a secondary candidate and if he fails, you will have candidates lining up at the door.

Lanning said he was staying at Oregon and not going to Bama. Is he pulling a Rich Rod or is he really staying at Oregon? It would be funny if Kiffen said no....
The B10 may be a better platform to seek a national championship than the PAC12, and maybe the SEC, due to the physical beating you take week in and week out in that conference. Expectations and pressure to win are too high at Alabama. I lived in Tuscaloosa for 5 years and one of the coaches was my neighbor. It wasn’t enough to win the game, you had to beat the spread to satisfy the fans.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Only Texas produces more 5* recruits than Georgia, and Georgia produces more than twice as many 5* recruits as Alabama. Athens is nicer than Tuscaloosa. I can’t see why he’d leave UGA for Alabama.

Lanning is still their top guy. Not sure he would leave Oregon for Alabama.

Looks like DeBoer. I watched a good amount of UDub this year mainly because of Penix but I honestly don't know much about DeBoer. He sure knows how to run a good offense with a talented QB is all I can say.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Looks like DeBoer. I watched a good amount of UDub this year mainly because of Penix but I honestly don't know much about DeBoer. He sure knows how to run a good offense with a talented QB is all I can say.
He 112-4 as Head coach at Sioyx Falls, Fresno State and Washington.

Won 3 NAIA championships in 2005, 2006 and 2008 while Sioux Falls.

He is 49.

In the pecking order, Alabama trumps Georgia. There’s different tiers of blueblood programs. The only comparison to Alabama would be Notre Dame and maybe Michigan.
I don't know if Smart was considered but I think he made the right decision to pass on Alabama if he was. Smart is creating his own legacy in Georgia. Why leave a place when you are becoming a legend to walk into the shadow of another legend possibly the best of all time. Look at the standards Wvu fans have held the coaches that came after RR. Alabama fans would consider that a failure next to what Saban accomplished. If Deboer is indeed the man that seat can get uncomfortable pretty quickly after the 1st hiccup.

gotta say I'm surprised that they didn't go for Dabo.. 54 yrs old with two national championships.Saban's record at 54 doesn't compare to his.. Clemson defeated Alabama in those two national championship games

gotta say I'm surprised that they didn't go for Dabo.. 54 yrs old with two national championships.Saban's record at 54 doesn't compare to his.. Clemson defeated Alabama in those two national championship games
He may have not wanted it. He is comfortable at Clemson and would have some awfully big shoes to fill.

If Dabo doesnt adjust to the new free agency, then he would be a bad choice anyway.

They should just go all in on new age and get an AI coach. They can call it Bear Saban.....

Clemson is trending downward. Dabo doesn't like NIL.

Dabo is in the same boat as Saban was. He isn't adjusting to the new age of college athletics (I agree with them, but I'm not being paid millions to coach a team either). Alabama needed to select someone that is all in on the new system. I still don't believe it is this guy. Frankly, I would be that most of the college sports world didn't know who this guy was until this year. I know I didn't know who was the coach at Washington until midway through this year.

Alabama fans.........prepare yourselves.

Washington's Kalen DeBoer has officially been named the Alabama Crimson Tide's next head football coach, taking over for the legendary Nick Saban.6 hours ago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT