ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU hires OC/QB coach Harrell for football

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - West Virginia University football coach Neal Brown has announced the hiring of Graham Harrell as the Mountaineers' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.
Brown also announced additional changes to the offensive staff that will include Gerad Parker as the co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach, and Chad Scott, the run game coordinator and running backs coach.

"I have followed Graham's playing and coaching career for quite some time, and there's no question he is a talented coach with a bright future," Brown said. "He has a successful track record as a play caller, has done an outstanding job of developing quarterbacks and is a proven winner. His character, competitiveness and positive energy is a great fit for our program. He brings Power 5 coaching experience and an extensive knowledge of the Big 12. I know he is looking forward to getting started, meeting our staff and players.

"Since the end of the season, I have spent time reflecting on the program, and take responsibility, knowing we have to be better offensively," Brown said. "I've been serving in a dual role as the offensive coordinator and head coach, and we need to bring in another voice for the offense. Having Graham as the offensive coordinator and working with Gerad as the No. 2 lead in the offensive room, as he has done, will make us a better, more-efficient offense and move us in the direction we need to head. In turn, that will allow me to be a more effective CEO of the Mountaineer football program."

Harrell comes to WVU after serving as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at USC for the past three years (2019-21).

"I am excited to join Neal Brown's staff at West Virginia and become a part of the Mountaineer football program," Harrell said. "This program has a long and successful history with a lot of tradition, and I have so much respect for the state of West Virginia, its people and their values. I believe this is a great fit for me and my family as Neal and I know or have worked with a lot of the same people. I grew up in the Big 12, played in it, and I look forward to getting back to competing in it. I can't wait to get to know our players and help this program make its mark."

In 2021, USC led the Pac-12 and was No. 17 nationally in passing offense (298.3) and red zone offense (.902), No. 20 in third-down conversion percentage and No. 24 in total offense (443.9). Receiver Drake London was named the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year and earned a spot on several All-America teams.

In 2020, USC's passing offense ranked No. 11 nationally (first in Pac-12) at 319.3. Quarterback Kedon Slovis made All-Pac-12 first team while ranking in the top-20 in completions (first at 29.5), passing yards (sixth at 320.2), total offense (No. 13 at 310.7) and completion percentage (No. 18 at .670), all tops in the Pac-12. Wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown also was an All-Pac-12 first teamer.

In Harrell's first year at USC in 2019, the Trojan offense averaged 455.4 total yards (335.8 passing) and 32.5 points—significant improvements from 2018, when the figures were 382.6, 249.1 and 26.1—while ranking in the top-25 in completion percentage, passing offense, passing efficiency, total offense, third down conversions and first downs. The 2019 Trojans also set school season pass marks for total passing yards (4,365), completion percentage (71.0%), completions (365) and attempts (514).

Under Harrell's tutelage, true freshman quarterback Kedon Slovis was a Freshman All-American first teamer and the Pac-12 Offensive Freshman of the Year, completing a school-record and NCAA freshman record 71.9% of his passes for a USC frosh record 3,502 yards with 30 TDs, including a school-record 515 passing yards against UCLA (one of a USC record four games with 400-plus passing yards), to rank in the top-20 in completion percentage, passing yards, completions, passing efficiency, passing TD and total offense (his 167.9 passing efficiency rating was a USC record).

Wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr., who won the 2019 Pop Warner College Football Award and was a finalist for the Biletnikoff and Witten Awards, was in the top-20 in receptions, receiving yards and receiving TDs.

Prior to his three-year stint at USC, Harrell produced back-to-back top-25 offenses, while the offensive coordinator at North Texas.

After inheriting an offense that ranked in the nation's bottom 25 in scoring, passing and total offense in 2015, he helped the Mean Green improve statistically in each category in 2016, including by 9.6 points per game. Then in 2017, North Texas was No. 19 nationally in scoring (35.5), No. 21 in passing (291.9) and No. 24 in total offense (455.1), and quarterback Mason Fine set school season records for passing yards (4,052) and TDs (31).

In 2018, UNT ranked No. 12 in passing (306.8), No. 20 in total offense (460.5) and No. 26 in scoring (34.6), with Fine throwing for 3,793 yards and 27 touchdowns with just 5 interceptions, wide receiver Rico Bussey Jr. catching 68 passes for 1,017 yards with 12 TDs and running back DeAndre Torrey scoring 15 TDs on the ground. Fine was the 2017 and 2018 Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year, while Bussey Jr. was an All-Conference USA first teamer in 2018. Tight end Kelvin Smith, who played as an attached tight end and in the slot, completed 27 and 29 catch seasons in 2017 and 2018 to rank among the top receivers on the team.

North Texas also rushed for more than 150 yards a game in 2017 and 2018. UNT won 9 games each in Harrell's last two seasons and qualified for bowl games all three years that he was on staff (2016 Heart of Dallas, 2017 New Orleans, 2018 New Mexico) after UNT only played in one bowl the previous 11 seasons.

Harrell came to UNT from Washington State, where he worked for head coach Mike Leach as the outside receivers coach in 2015 after serving as an offensive analyst in 2014. The 2015 Cougars led the nation in passing offense (389.2), won eight games and won the Sun Bowl.

Harrell was a record-setting quarterback for Leach at Texas Tech from 2005-08, finishing his career with an NCAA-record 134 touchdown passes, the second-most career yards in NCAA history (15,793) and the third-highest career passing average (351.0). He also set NCAA career marks for pass completions average (31.2), as well as most games gaining 400-plus passing yards (20), games gaining 400-plus total yards (21) and seasons gaining 4,000-plus total yards (3). His career average of 486.3 passing yards against Texas was an NCAA record against one opponent. In each of his three seasons as a starter, his passing yardage figures placed in the top-25 all-time at the FBS level (21st in 2006 with 4,555 yards, second in 2007 with 5,705 and sixth in 2008 with 5,111) and he was the first player with a pair of 5,000-yard passing seasons.

In 2008, he was an All-American first teamer, finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting, won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, was a finalist for the Walter Camp and Davey O'Brien Awards and was a National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete. His 5,111 passing yards led the nation and he threw 45 touchdowns with only nine interceptions while completing 70.6% of his aerials. Texas Tech went 11-2, including a victory over No. 1 Texas, and played in the Cotton Bowl in 2008.

Harrell played for the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2009, served as a quality control assistant at Oklahoma State for several months in 2010, before heading back to continue his NFL career. He played three years with the Green Bay Packers (2010-12), including on the 2010 Super Bowl XLV championship team and had a brief stint with the New York Jets in 2013.

He played for his father, Sam, at Ennis High, throwing for Texas career records of 12,532 yards and 167 touchdowns. He led Ennis to the state Class 4A title as a 2001 sophomore. As a senior in 2003, he set state records for season passing yards, completions and touchdowns (4,825, 334, 67).

Inducted into the Texas Tech Hall of Fame in 2020, Harrell earned his bachelor's degree in history from Texas Tech in 2007.

Harrell, and his wife, Brittney, have a 6-year-old son, Hawk and a daughter, Mia. Harrell's brother, Clark, played quarterback at Tulsa (2007) and Abilene Christian (2008-10); Clark and his other brother, Zac, are now high school football coaches in Texas.

It’s a great hire, nice to know who our OC actually is so we can properly credit him with the improvements on that side of the ball.

Does he bring a QB with him? Maybe a one year, already knows the offense person? Then get Greene to go to wideout and let the other two fight it out for back up while they learn the system. Nice change here though.

Does he bring a QB with him? Maybe a one year, already knows the offense person? Then get Greene to go to wideout and let the other two fight it out for back up while they learn the system. Nice change here though.
Already gave a QB here.

Just what the doctor ordered.

Also, probably buys Brown another couple of years.

The only question now is - how good a hire is this? On paper versus on the field? Guess we'll just have to wait until the fall to find out.

What some on here won't like will be that if Holgerson had done the same (hired a capable coordinator), just on the defensive side of the ball, he would probably still be here rather than Houston.

Just what the doctor ordered.

Also, probably buys Brown another couple of years.

The only question now is - how good a hire is this? On paper versus on the field? Guess we'll just have to wait until the fall to find out.

What some on here won't like will be that if Holgerson had done the same (hired a capable coordinator), just on the defensive side of the ball, he would probably still be here rather than Houston.
Not likely since it was Holgorsen that decided to leave WVU. Not WVU firing coke man.

Yeah, but Holgy saw what was coming with what he had.

No defense + no offense = no contract extension and FIRED.

Decided that Houston and a big contract looked a whole lot better than being fired in a couple of years. Can't say he wasn't smart for taking the money and running.

Nice to see that Brown figured out he had to change something finally. The O couldn’t get much worse. He knows the actual fan base and administration won’t put up with these losing seasons and mass defections much longer.

He knows next year is it - another losing season and he is toast. Problem is the O Coord will have no one with experience to work with.

There is this.
Just because he left USC hardly means he is WVU bound.

Just because he left USC hardly means he is WVU bound.
True, but still an amazing coincidence, huh?

However, what people either are forgetting or don't know is that Dart had to put his name in the portal up to 48 hours or so ago.

So, either this has been a well kept secret for a couple of days now or Dart was looking for a new home before Harrell left. Doesn't make sense for the latter, unless he was getting beaten out by someone else. So, that most likely leaves the former.

Maybe Dart ends up here, which would be awesome. Regardless, Harrell will have a decent, just young QB to work with. He's already proven what he can do. Let's just hope it continues here.

True, but still an amazing coincidence, huh?

However, what people either are forgetting or don't know is that Dart had to put his name in the portal up to 48 hours or so ago.

So, either this has been a well kept secret for a couple of days now or Dart was looking for a new home before Harrell left. Doesn't make sense for the latter, unless he was getting beaten out by someone else. So, that most likely leaves the former.

Maybe Dart ends up here, which would be awesome. Regardless, Harrell will have a decent, just young QB to work with. He's already proven what he can do. Let's just hope it continues here.
USC has a new head coach so Harrell was on his way out.

Its typical for players to leave when the people that recruited them leave and a new HC comes in that may not favor you like the previous staff did.

Dart likely knew that once OU's coach came in Harrell was out. It probably took a few days to work out contracts as well.

As soon as the horrible bowl game debacle was over, Neal Brown was under tremendous pressure, even moreso as the receiving core bolted almost entirely.

We shall see if it works out. Has to be better than Brown "coaching" offense.

Nice to see that Brown figured out he had to change something finally. The O couldn’t get much worse. He knows the actual fan base and administration won’t put up with these losing seasons and mass defections much longer.

He knows next year is it - another losing season and he is toast. Problem is the O Coord will have no one with experience to work with.
You have to give Brown credit he figured out he needed to change things up on the offensive side of the ball after 3 seasons. Its to bad coke head Dana couldn't figure out
he needed a defensive coordinator after 8 seasons.

Really good news!! Interesting to sense the desire of some here to look for the negative in good news. A year from now let's revisit. Welcome Coach Harrell to our chaotic world.

USC has a new head coach so Harrell was on his way out.

Its typical for players to leave when the people that recruited them leave and a new HC comes in that may not favor you like the previous staff did.

Dart likely knew that once OU's coach came in Harrell was out. It probably took a few days to work out contracts as well.

As soon as the horrible bowl game debacle was over, Neal Brown was under tremendous pressure, even moreso as the receiving core bolted almost entirely.

We shall see if it works out. Has to be better than Brown "coaching" offense.
Sources?

You have to give Brown credit he figured out he needed to change things up on the offensive side of the ball after 3 seasons. Its to bad coke head Dana couldn't figure out
he needed a defensive coordinator after 8 seasons.
Holgorsen's defense wasn't any worse than Brown's--and won a hell of a lot more games. But his D coordinators were forced on him outside the quick replacement after Stewarts guy left suddenly.

DH's offensive prowess luckily won the second most games ever for West Virginia which is and was great for real WVU fans. And against the most difficult schedules ever faced--not to mention against a switch to one of the top conferences in the nation located half a continent away. Not sure who would root for a loser that has brought WVU football to its lowest point since the 1950's and nearly EVER while crapping on the coach that brought WVU its second most wins ever and was averaging well above WVUs historical average in WINS per year (you know, that thing that Brown doesn't know how to do).

Suspect Brown didn't make this decision alone himself, for that matter.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SeronimusPratt
The pissbabies won’t comment on this one cuz it’s a good move. They only show up to bawl

I ENDORSE THE HIRING 100%. GUESS THAT'S BECAUSE I'M NOT A PISSBABY! NOW, LET'S GET SOME OFFENSIVE LINEMEN WHO CAN BLOCK SOMEBODY TOUGHER THAN COEDS AND GRANDMOTHERS AND WE'RE ON OUR WAY TO A CLIMB WE CAN TRUST!

I’ll be happy if he’s successful!! I think that’s what anybody that loves WVU should think.

Reactions: CAK125
Holgorsen's defense wasn't any worse than Brown's--and won a hell of a lot more games. But his D coordinators were forced on him outside the quick replacement after Stewarts guy left suddenly.

DH's offensive prowess luckily won the second most games ever for West Virginia which is and was great for real WVU fans. And against the most difficult schedules ever faced--not to mention against a switch to one of the top conferences in the nation located half a continent away. Not sure who would root for a loser that has brought WVU football to its lowest point since the 1950's and nearly EVER.

Holgorsen's defenses resulted in the 2nd most losses of any wvu coach. Holgorsen was forced to make many staff changes while he was coach. Holgorsen only won when his teams played weak schedules.

WVU may have some QB talent in the waiting. But we don't know because they haven't been allowed to play by Brown, or they are incoming and haven't played a down of college ball yet.

It will be interesting to see if something is done about the abysmal Oline play we all saw in the disaster at the bowl game. Without a change there little early to be optimistic, especially with Brown still behind the wheel.

Holgorsen's defenses resulted in the 2nd most losses of any wvu coach. Holgorsen was forced to make many staff changes while he was coach. Holgorsen only won when his teams played weak schedules.
Hmm Don Nehlen had the first most losses of any WVU coach soooo...... funny you haven't been criticizing his defenses. Holgorsen's D's beat more teams than Browns by double digits (at least) and better teams too.

Brown has defeated exactly 3 P5 teams and one G5 team in 3 years that had winning records. And they were just average teams, not great ones. Meanwhile DH won several games against quality such as crushing Clemson year one, beating Texas there, beating very good Baylor, ISU and other squads, a good ASU team in a bowl etc.

6 pt. Neal? Not so much. The hot seat is still very hot until he wins some games. This year is the deal breaker. Better work out. Meanwhile Holgorsen is having 12 win ranked seasons and beating Auburn in bowl games.

Hmm Don Nehlen had the first most losses of any WVU coach soooo...... funny you haven't been criticizing his defenses. Holgorsen's D's beat more teams than Browns by double digits (at least) and better teams too.

Brown has defeated exactly 3 P5 teams and one G5 team in 3 years. And they were just average teams, not great ones. Meanwhile DH won several games against quality such as crushing Clemson year one, beating Texas there, beating very good Baylor, ISU and other squads, a good ASU team in a bowl etc.

6 pt. Neal? Not so much. The hot seat is still very hot until he wins some games. This year is the deal breaker. Better work out. Meanwhile Holgorsen is having 12 win ranked seasons and beating Auburn in bowl games.

NOT TO PILE ON BUT NEAL BROWN IS 1 GAME BELOW .500 WHICH IS THE WORST 3-SEASON START IN FIFTY YEARS FOR WVU. NEHLEN AT LEAST HAD 1988 AND 1993. NEAL WAS 6-7 IN HIS 3RD SEASON, WAY PAST THE "CUPBOARD WAS BARE" PITIFUL EXCUSE OF HIS SUPPORTERS. I WANT WVU TO WIN MORE THAN LOSE BECAUSE IT'S MY ALMA MATER. RICH DID IT BETTER THAN ANYONE SINCE SPEARS IN 1922. I GO BY W-L, NOT IRRATIONAL BIAS. I KNOW THAT MAKES ME IN A SMALL GROUP BUT I LIKE WHO I AM. AND I LOVE MY ALMA MATER.

NOT TO PILE ON BUT NEAL BROWN IS 1 GAME BELOW .500 WHICH IS THE WORST 3-SEASON START IN FIFTY YEARS FOR WVU. NEHLEN AT LEAST HAD 1988 AND 1993. NEAL WAS 6-7 IN HIS 3RD SEASON, WAY PAST THE "CUPBOARD WAS BARE" PITIFUL EXCUSE OF HIS SUPPORTERS. I WANT WVU TO WIN MORE THAN LOSE BECAUSE IT'S MY ALMA MATER. RICH DID IT BETTER THAN ANYONE SINCE SPEARS IN 1922. I GO BY W-L, NOT IRRATIONAL BIAS. I KNOW THAT MAKES ME IN A SMALL GROUP BUT I LIKE WHO I AM. AND I LOVE MY ALMA MATER.
Legitimate post and sound message to the proud blinders boys.

DH's offensive prowess luckily won the second most games ever for West Virginia which is and was great for real WVU fans. And against the most difficult schedules ever faced--not to mention against a switch to one of the top conferences in the nation located half a continent away. Not sure who would root for a loser that has brought WVU football to its lowest point since the 1950's and nearly EVER.

Dude. C'mon...

The very thing you're claiming - hatred for a coach - that others felt towards Dana you exhibit in spades right here.

It's one thing to say that Brown has to improve his offense, it sucks, he sucks at coordinating, etc. But, to knock the defensive side of the ball? To say that Dana had equal defenses? That's BS and you know it.

We've gone over this multiple times, and you've been proven wrong multiple times. Yes, Dana won a lot of games here. He also LOST a lot of games here, too. Games that could have been won with even a hint of a defense. There are WAY too many to rehash.

Brown also faces those "difficult schedules". Faces the same pressures and problems Dana faced.

Now, its time for you to quit being a crybaby and get over your Brown hatred. You SHOULD be happy, as Brown went and hit about as close to a homerun hire for an offensive coordinator as one can find. If this works out, then everything you claimed Brown (and Dana) never could accomplish might get fixed. Maybe it doesn't and Brown gets shown the door in a couple of years. Or, you can find something else to cry about.

Dana's gone, not coming back, and that's that. Let's leave the past in the past and focus on the future.

Brown has defeated exactly 3 P5 teams and one G5 team in 3 years that had winning records. And they were just average teams, not great ones. Meanwhile DH won several games against quality such as crushing Clemson year one, beating Texas there, beating very good Baylor, ISU and other squads, a good ASU team in a bowl etc.

Nehlens defense's were much better than Holgorsens. Browns defense's were much better than Holgorsen's. Holgorsen hired Joe Deforest worst D coordinator of all time. Holgorsen's best season was with a team he didn't recruit. The over whelming majority of Holgorsens' wins came against teams with losing records. From 2014 - 2018 Holgorsen only beat 2 teams that finished ranked in the top 25

Reactions: CAK125 and Euell
So i guess the "Neal is too stubborn to hire a real OC" narrative was incorrect?
Well it is worrisome that Kneel uses "another voice " and promotes another coach to co OC when discussing this hire. Sounds a lot like a committee. We will see but today it looks like a much needed hire.

This looks like a really good hire. One of Browns better decisions as head coach and a necessary one.

Reactions: Rootmaster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT