ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU hires OC/QB coach Harrell for football

Just what the doctor ordered.

Also, probably buys Brown another couple of years.

The only question now is - how good a hire is this? On paper versus on the field? Guess we'll just have to wait until the fall to find out.

What some on here won't like will be that if Holgerson had done the same (hired a capable coordinator), just on the defensive side of the ball, he would probably still be here rather than Houston.

You are right about Dana, but obviously refusing to do that is a major problem.

I don't like co-coordinating. Now I'm hoping it was done to get the other guy a raise and that GH is the undisputed play caller. It will be bad enough to try to keep Kneel in his lane.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Nice to see that Brown figured out he had to change something finally. The O couldn’t get much worse. He knows the actual fan base and administration won’t put up with these losing seasons and mass defections much longer.

He knows next year is it - another losing season and he is toast. Problem is the O Coord will have no one with experience to work with.
Dumber than a load of bricks.

ooh looky big bad troll Allen can make up baby names to call posters that post facts he doesn't like.

Sounds like the former president.

In the meantime, Brown is skating on thin ice and has to finally produce. Now that Harrell will be here no more excuses. But of course its win next year or the fanbase isn't going to put up with the DROP anymore and it'll be on to the next guy.

I imagine Shane is a bit worried about his job and put a little pressure on the football coach to make this needed change.

Nehlens defense's were much better than Holgorsens. Browns defense's were much better than Holgorsen's. Holgorsen hired Joe Deforest worst D coordinator of all time. Holgorsen's best season was with a team he didn't recruit. The over whelming majority of Holgorsens' wins came against teams with losing records. From 2014 - 2018 Holgorsen only beat 2 teams that finished ranked in the top 25
Holgorsen's D's won the second most games in the history of WVU football. Brown's Ds won--nothing of any importance whatsoever.

You must be related to Stewart and still upset that Holgorsen was hired as a coach in waiting and then stepped in early when Stewart bailed early on the program. Luckily Holgorsen was up for the job and beat numerous ranked teams and many very good teams, and came within 4 points of taking WVU to a BIG 12 CCG--came close to delivering a Heisman QB too until he was hurt.

Brown can't sniff Holgorsen's jock and is one of the worst coaches in WVU history, worst in many a decade at this point. Major changes are needed for him to save his job. Meanwhile the previous coach is doing great three years in after he actually rebuilt the program he went to. Didn't have to promise a fake "climb" either. Just did it despite a much more depleted roster. And he didn't chase off half the team either.

Last edited:
Holgorsen's D's won the second most games in the history of WVU football. Brown's Ds won--nothing of any importance whatsoever.

You must be related to Stewart and still upset that Holgorsen was hired as a coach in waiting and then stepped in early when Stewart bailed on the program. Luckily Holgorsen was up for the job and beat numerous ranked teams and many very good teams, and came within 4 points of taking WVU to a BIG 12 CCG--came close to delivering a Heisman QB too until he was hurt.

Brown can't sniff Holgorsen's jock and is one of the worst coaches in WVU history, worst in many a decade at this point. Major changes are needed for him to save his job. Meanwhile the previous coach is doind great three years in after he actually rebuilt the program he went to. Didn't have to promise a fake "climb" either. Just did it despite a much more depleted roster.
Just out of curiosity, was it Dana’s D or was it his O that won the games? I have been a season ticket holder for many years and I always wished for a better defense under Dana several seasons, especially watching them lose shootouts game after game. Just want to make sure you watched the same games. I’m not going to down Dana or Neal, but to say Dana’s defense won the 2nd most games is an interesting observation. I guess I should have wished for more offense under Dana as well.

Just out of curiosity, was it Dana’s D or was it his O that won the games? I have been a season ticket holder for many years and I always wished for a better defense under Dana several seasons, especially watching them lose shootouts game after game. Just want to make sure you watched the same games. I’m not going to down Dana or Neal, but to say Dana’s defense won the 2nd most games is an interesting observation. I guess I should have wished for more offense under Dana as well.
The defenses were what separated DH from some stellar seasons in the BIG 12. But he didn't pick his D coordinators. Inherited Stewarts who then left in the middle of the night, and then he had to quickly place Deforest as a fill in and when he wasn't great Holgorsen was forced to add a couple coaches with ties. One left soon after coming in and then Gibson finished things out--now highly regarded at NC State btw.

To be fair though, WVU was 7-6 with Deforest as WVU's D coordinator. Has Brown had a 7-6 season at WVU yet? Of course not.

Back in those days the BIG 12 also had stellar offenses, which pretty much everyone else has copied nowadays if you look at SEC and B10 and others scores.

I did watch the same games and its why I can't for the life of me understand why clowns who spent a decade trashing Dana Holgorsen and his second best wins EVER for WVU--including a couple of the very rare 10 win seasons, a major bowl win, conference championship and a move with a team built for a depleted BE into a top conference halfway across the country, yet still managed a very good for WVU 8 wins per year average the last five years--cannot understand why clowns HATE Holgorsen and his results, but are trying so desperately to sell WVU fans on this brown guy who is Kragthorpe 2.0 and doesn't appear able to coach h.s. football let alone at the P5 level.

I mean did you SEE that bowl game? Horrible embarassment for WVU football along with the two five win regular seasons, two losing seasons with one saved by Covid by not having to play OU or FSU which would have smoked him silly and made it three straight losing seasons. Can't for the life of me figure out what the hell he is selling that so many loons have bought into.

But this drastic sudden change likely means the pressure and heat is on big time from above--so he has one last chance to get something done.

Last edited:
Finally Brown makes a move that is NEEDED. This is what we need from the Head Coach at WVU. After a bunch of bad decisions this is a Fasntastic one.

Reactions: Rootmaster
The defenses were what separated DH from some stellar seasons in the BIG 12. But he didn't pick his D coordinators. Inherited Stewarts who then left in the middle of the night, and then he had to quickly place Deforest as a fill in and when he wasn't great Holgorsen was forced to add a couple coaches with ties. One left soon after coming in and then Gibson finished things out--now highly regarded at NC State btw.

To be fair though, WVU was 7-6 with Deforest as WVU's D coordinator. Has Brown had a 7-6 season at WVU yet? Of course not.

Back in those days the BIG 12 also had stellar offenses, which pretty much everyone else has copied nowadays if you look at SEC and B10 and others scores.

I did watch the same games and its why I can't for the life of me understand why clowns who spent a decade trashing Dana Holgorsen and his second best wins EVER for WVU--including a couple of the very rare 10 win seasons, a major bowl win, conference championship and a move with a team built for a depleted BE into a top conference halfway across the country, yet still managed a very good for WVU 8 wins per year average the last five years--cannot understand why clowns HATE Holgorsen and his results, but are trying so desperately to sell WVU fans on this brown guy who is Kragthorpe 2.0 and doesn't appear able to coach h.s. football let alone at the P5 level.

I mean did you SEE that bowl game? Horrible embarassment for WVU football along with the two five win regular seasons, two losing seasons with one saved by Covid by not having to play OU or FSU which would have smoked him silly and made it three straight losing seasons. Can't for the life of me figure out what the hell he is selling that so many loons have bought into.

But this drastic sudden change likely means the pressure and heat is on big time from above--so he has one last chance to get something done.
Or maybe this coach is smart enough to realize that being a step up in Power 5 means as the head coach he has to be more game central and not just offense. You need to stop with the hate or go root for some other team. You are really making yourself sick with all this hate and your excuses don't work anymore. Everyone is tired of the same lame crap. We all watched Holgerson suck it up when it mattered and we have all watched the last three years where Brown has also sucked it up. Difference is, Brown deserves the time to get his system and his players in and He was not left with a great bunch of players when Holgy left like Holgerson had when Stewart was removed.

Let it go dude. You are going to see this coach for at least two more years. Like it or not, that is how it is going to go. So either root for the team or go follow Houston.

Root why are so butt hurt? If you were truly a wvu fan you would be happy with this move. Every time a player from wvu enters the transfer portal you are the 1st to start a thread making a commotion out of it. Even though the majority of these players didn't contribute anything.

I mean did you SEE that bowl game? Horrible embarassment for WVU football along with the two five win regular seasons, two losing seasons with one saved by Covid by not having to play OU or FSU
You really shouldn't be talking about Bowl game performances when your idol coke head Dana gave us some of the worst performances of all time. In 2018 wvu was destroyed by a Syracuse team. Remember 2017 when a 7-5 wvu team was embarrassed by a weak 6-6 Utah Team. That was the pac 12's only bowl win that season. Holgorsen only won one bowl game with a team he recruited and that was a 1 point win over a weak Arizona state team. Minnesota was an 8-4 team wvu was 6-6 we weren't supposed to win.

That mighty FSU team you talk about only won 3 games the year we were supposed to play them

Or maybe this coach is smart enough to realize that being a step up in Power 5 means as the head coach he has to be more game central and not just offense. You need to stop with the hate or go root for some other team. You are really making yourself sick with all this hate and your excuses don't work anymore. Everyone is tired of the same lame crap. We all watched Holgerson suck it up when it mattered and we have all watched the last three years where Brown has also sucked it up. Difference is, Brown deserves the time to get his system and his players in and He was not left with a great bunch of players when Holgy left like Holgerson had when Stewart was removed.

Let it go dude. You are going to see this coach for at least two more years. Like it or not, that is how it is going to go. So either root for the team or go follow Houston.
Oh please. People who railed against the 2nd winningest coach at WVU ever for a decade--who proclaimed he had to go, pushed him towards the door and still talk crap about him now that he is gone and having success elsewhere, want everyone now to sit back, be quiet and let Neal Brown run the program into the ground in reality without making even a comment.

Life doesn't work that way--just as you've felt you could say whatever you want--such as your misguided comments towards Holgorsen's defenses when in reality they won more games than Brown's defenses have BY FAR, so can everyone else. Its not a one way street.

Just this past year alone Brown lost by 25 to Baylor, 21 to OK State, 17 to K State and 12 to Minnesota. Not much defense there, but worse--there was NO offense. He's had a large number of games scoring under 20 pts. Heck even 14 or under for that matter. Holgorsen's teams had some blowouts--but you are pretending the BIG 12 was something different than what it was then--a wide open offensive juggernaut where the better teams could put up scores in droves, but most were criticized that the defenses weren't that good at stopping the offenses. And there were some great teams in it over the years too. Its not as though WVU was an anomaly. That WAS the BIG 12 (now its several other leagues but of course no one cares now).

Brown doesn't "deserve" anything and besides, you act as though he just arrived. Actually he's been here over three seasons now going on FOUR. If he can't get the job done in three seasons, then its doubtful he's going to do it ever. After all this is the WORST coaching effort since the 50's. You may want to blow smoke up your own arse but that doesn't mean I'm going to allow you to pretend what I see with my own eyes isn't what I see.

WVU football is in crisis under Brown--we shall see if the new OC can alter that.

You really shouldn't be talking about Bowl game performances when your idol coke head Dana gave us some of the worst performances of all time. In 2018 wvu was destroyed by a Syracuse team. Remember 2017 when a 7-5 wvu team was embarrassed by a weak 6-6 Utah Team. That was the pac 12's only bowl win that season. Holgorsen only won one bowl game with a team he recruited and that was a 1 point win over a weak Arizona state team. Minnesota was an 8-4 team wvu was 6-6 we weren't supposed to win.

That mighty FSU team you talk about only won 3 games the year we were supposed to play them
While you lick Browns sack, there hasn't been a worse bowl performance than what we saw with Brown against middling Minnesota. The worst game I've seen WVU play for decades.

Holgorsen's teams didn't win alot of bowls, but they got there. Of course you've left out conveniently that Holgorsen won some bowls such as the Orange in historic fashion too. Holgorsen WON as many or more bowls than every coach at WVU except for Don Nehlen who had 2 more victories and 2 more losses than Holgorsen. Holgorsen is TIED with RR and your love Stewart at TWO bowl wins total. And one of Stewart's was actually coached by RR assistants with Stewart at the helm 1 or 2 weeks. The other was won by RR recruits with Pat White leading the way. Holgorsen did better than all other WVU coaches in bowls and there have been 21 total. So you attack one of the BEST coaches at WVU EVER and praise someone all the way down at #13 of 21? Yeah, great WVU fan.

Neal only made one because he didn't have to play OU or FSU and even then barely eked out a G5 win.

And Brown didn't have the disadvantage of MULTIPLE opt outs and hurt starting QBS as Holgorsen faced either.

But you better get ready to find some new meat to blow because next year is likely it. WVUs program can't sustain the Neal Brown debacle much longer or it will drop to mid major status from now on. What Brown is used to but not acceptable to WVU fans.

Last edited:
While you lick Browns sack, there hasn't been a worse bowl performance than what we saw with Brown against middling Minnesota. The worst game I've seen WVU play for decades.

Holgorsen's teams didn't win alot of bowls, but they got there. Of course you've left out conveniently that Holgorsen won some bowls such as the Orange in historic fashion too. Holgorsen WON as many or more bowls than every coach at WVU except for Don Nehlen who had 2 more victories and 2 more losses than Holgorsen. Holgorsen is TIED with RR and your love Stewart at TWO bowl wins total. And one of Stewarts was actually coached by RR assistants with Stewart at the helm 1 or 2 weeks. Holgorsen did better than all other WVU coaches in bowls and there has been 21 total. So you attack one of the BEST coaches at WVU EVER and praise someone all the way down at #13 of 21? Yeah, great WVU fan.

Neal only made one because he didn't have to play OU or FSU and even then barely eked out a G5 win.

And Brown didn't have the disadvantage of MULTIPLE opt outs and hurt starting QBS as Holgorsen faced either.

But you better get ready to find some new meat to blow because next year is likely it. WVUs program can't sustain the Neal Brown debacle much longer or it will drop to mid major status from now on. What Brown is used to but not acceptable to WVU fans.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: wilmingtoneer
You do more crying than any 10 posters combined. Stfu noob poor
BS you whiners cry if anyone posts contrary to your imaginary jerk world view.

All of you cried endlessly for 10 years straight.

Discussing reality is NOT crying, pissbaby. Crying is what you always do in response to facts that ruin your false narratives about just about everything anyone else posts.

Holgorsen's defense wasn't any worse than Brown's--and won a hell of a lot more games. But his D coordinators were forced on him outside the quick replacement after Stewarts guy left suddenly.

DH's offensive prowess luckily won the second most games ever for West Virginia which is and was great for real WVU fans. And against the most difficult schedules ever faced--not to mention against a switch to one of the top conferences in the nation located half a continent away. Not sure who would root for a loser that has brought WVU football to its lowest point since the 1950's and nearly EVER while crapping on the coach that brought WVU its second most wins ever and was averaging well above WVUs historical average in WINS per year (you know, that thing that Brown doesn't know how to do).

Suspect Brown didn't make this decision alone himself, for that matter.
Interesting. So you only blow some of the dude's that finish plowing your wife. So why not all? From your post I doubt it is lack of desire.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeronimusPratt

Discussing reality is NOT crying, pissbaby. Crying is what you always do in response to facts that ruin your false narratives about just about everything anyone else posts.
Bucky Tears! Bucky Tears!

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Interesting. So you only blow some of the dude's that finish plowing your wife. So why not all? From your post I doubt it is lack of desire.
troll a lol lol lol lol lol lol. Curious, do you think it makes you something if you are too stupid to post in a discussion thread so you make up trolling garbage like you just did? Seriously, do you go beat off in the mirror after posting your ego stroking b.s.? You might want to seek counseling and/or treatment for that.

Makes you appear to be kindergarten level intelligence.

troll a lol lol lol lol lol lol. Curious, do you think it makes you something if you are too stupid to post in a discussion thread so you make up trolling garbage like you just did? Seriously, do you go beat off in the mirror after posting your ego stroking b.s.? You might want to seek counseling and/or treatment for that.

Oh. So you just don't have time to properly shine the man meat of all the guys going to town on your ole lady. I admire you for taking your craft seriously. I mean if you are going to do it, you might as well do it right. This begs the question as to how you choose which one's you suck the chrome off?

• Haha
Reactions: WVUALLEN
Do you ever...ever...have any knowledge or logic behind any of your posting assertions? Or are you...as you seem...truly an immature basement dweller living life on a forum? Again I ask ... reason?
We all know you have knowledge of nothing. Talk about diverting, just read your own shit.

Shut up Root.

• Haha
Reactions: SeronimusPratt

Shut up Root.

WVU may have some QB talent in the waiting. But we don't know because they haven't been allowed to play by Brown, or they are incoming and haven't played a down of college ball yet.

It will be interesting to see if something is done about the abysmal Oline play we all saw in the disaster at the bowl game. Without a change there little early to be optimistic, especially with Brown still behind the wheel.
Did you see the size of that O/D line? I thought that our Oline played about as good as they could against their size... D held their own.

Did you see the size of that O/D line? I thought that our Oline played about as good as they could against their size... D held their own.
Terrible performance by WVU- worst Ive seen. 6 points? Giving up a double digit loss to them? Sometimes you have to be realistic. Miami- of OHIO put up 26 pts on them and only lost 31-26. Bowling Green Ohio BEAT them 14-10.

But keep making excuses.

It was a terrible performance by WVU against a little above average squad.

Terrible performance by WVU- worst Ive seen. 6 points? Giving up a double digit loss to them? Sometimes you have to be realistic. Miami- of OHIO put up 26 pts on them and only lost 31-26. Bowling Green Ohio BEAT them 14-10.

But keep making excuses.

It was a terrible performance by WVU against a little above average squad.
Wow. So you suck the chrome off the dudes who make your squeeze moan the loudest? I'd guess it's a reward for them providing your wife what you cannot. I am again blown away by the professionalism you have in this regard in that you work a system rather than just arbitrarily choosing whose pipe you work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT