ADVERTISEMENT

WV teacher strke

Agree. For the teachers, salary should be locality based, performance based and education should be privatized with competition.

The problem is, part of the deal the teachers are seeking is zero charter schools which limits competition.

You speak a lot about that which you know very little.

Reactions: popmurtha and Banjo
Don't you live in Pennsylvania

Yes. Does it bother you that I continue to refer to WV as my state...and my money goes toward teachers salaries ? The abuse teacher unions push on citizens here makes me even more emphatic that it doesn’t get out of control in MY state.

Are you an educator and think that even the little things matter?

The 5 percent is the raise Gov. Jim Justice proposed in a negotiated deal with unions intended to end the statewide walkout by West Virginia's public school teachers.

The House Finance Committee has approved an amended bill that would provide average 5 percent pay raises to teachers, school service personnel and state troopers in the coming year.

The West Virginia House has voted 98-1 to provide average 5 percent pay raises to teachers, school service personnel and state troopers in the coming year.

The senate said 4%....

There is the issue.
That 5% is in addition to the yearly step increases they get.

Support the Teachers 100% but unfortunately due to the unluck of the draw I guess, I have negotiated many of contracts in manufacturing where Unions have went on strike and the Company or in this case the government never caves just my experience as I’m sure there are success stories. They may move money around but in the end the bottom line remains the same. Need to settle and get our teachers back at work as a lot of people are suffering for only a few of the Union leadership that will blow smoke up your you know what and tell you we got this but in the end they only care about themselves and how they can go up in the Union Leadership positions.

Fed employee here...pay 550 bucks my portion a month on FEHB Blue Cross Blue Shield Standard Family plan...no Fed raise in 2010, 2011 and 2012....FEHB went up all 3 years = result net loss for me

Virginia resident. Paid 4000 in Real Estate tax last year, 1000 in car tax (including 150 dollar tax annual in my 2005 Ford Truck with 150k miles on it).

Should I mention NoVa also pays an extra commuter tax as well.....

Cry me a river WV teachers....
Me too. 2007 Tacoma pickup with 223,000 miles on it. 1% pay raise last year and increase in health insurance.

You know nothing about the education system or situation in WV. You took what I said completely out of context and that was not what I meant in the slightest. When quality teachers are leaving the state constantly and aspiring teachers graduating from WV feel they need to leave the state, you can’t use the national education ranking for our state as a valid barometer.

Saying what I expressed is wrong without the ability to express why your misinterpreted post is correct while not even making an attempt to explain why.... ....weak.

Reactions: Eerfool
Live in a poor state, choose a historically low paying job and have your unions and Associations endorse a presidential plan that increases healthcare costs and expenses at a historical level and then strike because of your pay and healthcare costs.

Makes sense
The trajectory of insurance costs going up is pretty steady going back to at least 1999. Health care costs are a big problem but they aren’t a Republican/Democrat issue.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
Do you actually think people in other professions actually only work 40 hours per week? Grading papers versus researching an environmental issue and staying up late writing a report with a short deadline. Attending meetings at night dealing with a pubic life safety threat. In the office late preparing for a critical court case.

My sister always made the "but I have to bring papers home to grade" argument. To which I would say, "oh yea, well we were out till midnight in 32 degree weather working on a water main leak in the cold & snow so people can get their water turned back on. It's always as if teachers are the only ones putting in overtime.

In addition, teachers aren't the only ones who spend their own money on supplies and resources for work.

Lol, So I guess you think molding the minds of and inspiring tomorrow’s leaders isn’t important. You’re making yourself feel like your current occupation is far more vital than it actually is. I hope this helped you feel better about yourself. Stay out of situations for which you have limited knowledge.

Reactions: tjebarr
Lol, So I guess you think molding the minds of and inspiring tomorrow’s leaders isn’t important. You’re making yourself feel like your current occupation is far more vital than it actually is. I hope this helped you feel better about yourself. Stay out of situations for which you have limited knowledge.

That's not what he said. He said teachers aren't the only ones working OT for free. The majority of working people have to do that. That isn't an argument that teachers should be using to justify their strike. I think they should be paid more just like everybody else. We're all Mountaineers and we want the best for each other. This strike should never have happened. Protest all you want. Pack the capital if need be, but don't hurt the kids and parents in the process.

That can’t be right ? They get 3 months off ?
Most of June + July & August. My brother in-law paints houses in the summer and makes a chunk of money. One of my old high school teachers worked for Morgantown Produce in the summer delivering produce to grocery stores. They seemed to like it cause it broke up the monotony of teaching and entire year.

They can come to the Carolinas and negotiate a nice pay increase and live a better life. There is a shortage of teachers here and the education is the quality of shit. We could use good educators here. And life in the Southeast is good.[thumb2]
I have a niece who is a teacher in Raleigh.

Lol, So I guess you think molding the minds of and inspiring tomorrow’s leaders isn’t important. You’re making yourself feel like your current occupation is far more vital than it actually is. .

Now teachers...who claim they can’t find a way to earn a livable income...are molding minds and inspiring leaders? Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside...

...and then...dicking on other professions... ...classic.

Especially when great teachers and people are considering leaving the state when they never planned on that in the past. This is about a whole hell of lot more than a few call offs.

You just described the situation of most employed people in WV. Particularly Southern WV. It’s a super tough economy. I’m very blessed at the moment but if things change for the business I work for I’ll be forced to leave as well.

I’m good with finding money for a raise. Teacher recruitment and detainment should be a top priority, but it’s time we get something in return.

Why don’t we try some charter schools. Create a merit based compensation system that encourages Innovation and competition.

The trajectory of insurance costs going up is pretty steady going back to at least 1999. Health care costs are a big problem but they aren’t a Republican/Democrat issue.

Prior to 2014, the most I ever paid in a year for healthcare and expenses was 5K, last year 20K. Who made it illegal for employers to reimburse inurance premiums?

What were the increase rates for each of those years from 99 on?

That's not what he said. He said teachers aren't the only ones working OT for free. The majority of working people have to do that. That isn't an argument that teachers should be using to justify their strike. I think they should be paid more just like everybody else. We're all Mountaineers and we want the best for each other. This strike should never have happened. Protest all you want. Pack the capital if need be, but don't hurt the kids and parents in the process.

It’s not so much an argument to justify the strike as it is a response to people who love to use the tired old “they only work 9 months per year” argument.

Reactions: Keenan Cummings
You just described the situation of most employed people in WV. Particularly Southern WV. It’s a super tough economy. I’m very blessed at the moment but if things change for the business I work for I’ll be forced to leave as well.

I’m good with finding money for a raise. Teacher recruitment and detainment should be a top priority, but it’s time we get something in return.

Why don’t we try some charter schools. Create a merit based compensation system that encourages Innovation and competition.

The teachers and their uniom want to outlaw charter schools in WV as well as the pay raise and PEIA reductions.

Why would they demand or even want that?

Let’s, get one thing correct, the WVEA is NOT an actual union. WV teachers don’t have a union like PA.

Everyone wants Darnell Wright to stay in-state and attend WVU, but they can’t be bothered to ensure that those educating him don’t leave the state for a fair wage.

The road to a better tomorrow in WV is through our state’s education system.

Reactions: Keenan Cummings
I love West Virginia with all of my heart but leaving was the best move I ever could have made. I love it but I will never come back. It gave me an unfair advantage in the South and I appreciate the hell out of it.

Reactions: jwishmyer
My sister, brother in-law, nieces, etc. are teachers. They work 9 months out of the year and can work a summer job for additional pay, which the rest of us can't do. I've seen it many times.

We don't need the best teachers in our schools - we can't afford it - we need satisfactory teachers.
Are you a retard or just retarded???

Let’s, get one thing correct, the WVEA is NOT an actual union. WV teachers don’t have a union like PA.

Everyone wants Darnell Wright to stay in-state and attend WVU, but they can’t be bothered to ensure that those educating him don’t leave the state for a fair wage.

If those educating him steer him to WVU, I am all for a massive raise for them.

Education is essential. Absolutely essential. I don't think anybody would dispute that. That's not an argument anybody is making. Harming people (kids and parents) by walking off the job isn't the way to make change happen. They could have made as much noise by protesting at the capital every day.

Education is essential. Absolutely essential. I don't think anybody would dispute that. That's not an argument anybody is making. Harming people (kids and parents) by walking off the job isn't the way to make change happen. They could have made as much noise by protesting at the capital every day.
School days are going to be added on to the end of the school year is my understanding. So the kids are not losing instructional days.

This was a last resort. Change won’t happen unless they continue the strike.

That’s fine and a fair point, but I’m tired of the uninformed perpetuating the false narrative that teachers only work 9 months/year.

That's fine, but you have to realize that people who work 12 months/year and similar OT percentages do in fact work more than teachers. That's not a point that can be disputed.

They work more than 9 months a year as teachers?

Guess some years are longer than others....

Teachers get more money for summer school and such.... ...but shhhh.... ...that’s a secret.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT