ADVERTISEMENT

WV teacher strke

As a parent of an 8 year old girl, this shit show has me so damn pissed.

I support the teachers right to do what they feel compelled to do but damn this is getting out of hand......( not blaming teachers )

Reactions: taneer and smooter
I have a decent IQ but am fairly uneducated despite easily earning my degree (high school) in WV.

Higher pay may be needed to get more qualified teachers to come to WV but damn it hurts paying those that are there now (many who just suck) more money. Guess we’re in a chicken /egg situation.

Time to bring in scab teachers. Fire the whole bunch and hire new education graduates. Will save the state money.

I got parents who are staying home from work cause they got no day care for their kids. So I suffer cause my office is now short handed.

Who do you work for ? Do you have peia?

Reactions: BigC
People don’t want to see quality educators leave the state for more lucrative opportunities, but don’t want to pay them what they’re worth and what they deserve. The complaining about the minor inconvenience of finding temporary childcare while the strike continues is ridiculous. Teachers are fighting for what they deserve.

The funding for the raises isn’t even going to come directly from from WV citizens’ pockets. They’d really be unhappy if they lived within certain school districts in PA where every time it’s determined more funding for teachers’ salaries is needed (i.e. raises), property taxes are raised without a vote from citizens. There are no voting on levies.

Last edited:
Time to bring in scab teachers. Fire the whole bunch and hire new education graduates. Will save the state money.

I got parents who are staying home from work cause they got no day care for their kids. So I suffer cause my office is now short handed.
I really don't care about your office situation, my wife is a teacher that cares about kids and takes pride in her job. Think about what they spend on a education to work for peanuts, their pay is ranked 48 out of 50.

I have a decent IQ but am fairly uneducated despite easily earning my degree (high school) in WV.

Higher pay may be needed to get more qualified teachers to come to WV but damn it hurts paying those that are there now (many who just suck) more money. Guess we’re in a chicken /egg situation.
The system chases the good teachers to neighboring states for more money and better benefits, which the state reneged on what was promised 30 years ago, so don’t spout off unless you know the facts

I really don't care about your office situation, my wife is a teacher that cares about kids and takes pride in her job. Think about what they spend on a education to work for peanuts, their pay is ranked 48 out of 50.

Especially when great teachers and people are considering leaving the state when they never planned on that in the past. This is about a whole hell of lot more than a few call offs.

The system chases the good teachers to neighboring states for more money and better benefits, which the state reneged on what was promised 30 years ago, so don’t spout off unless you know the facts

I only stated facts while you clearly posted an emotional opinion.

Is there anything else you want to want to whine about. Speaking without any knowledge of the situation on your part is humorous. Your “solution” is also ludicrous. Most school districts can’t find nearly enough substitute teachers, so good luck trying to replace the entire state workforce at the wages currently being offered.

My sister, brother in-law, nieces, etc. are teachers. They work 9 months out of the year and can work a summer job for additional pay, which the rest of us can't do. I've seen it many times.

We don't need the best teachers in our schools - we can't afford it - we need satisfactory teachers.

People don’t want to see quality educators leave the state for more lucrative opportunities, but don’t want to pay them what they’re worth and what they deserve. The complaining about the minor inconvenience of finding temporary childcare while the strike continues is ridiculous. Teachers are fighting for what they deserve.

The funding for the raises isn’t even going to come from from WV citizens’ pockets. They’d really be unhappy if they lived within certain school districts in PA where every time it’s determined more funding for teachers’ salaries is needed (i.e. raises), property taxes are raised without a vote from citizens. There are no voting on levies.
I would like 10 times if I could.

My observation of the whole sideshow is that both the politicians and the teachers/unions have acted childish throughout. Ironic as hell.

Reactions: pacs life
Is it about pay? The rise of the cost of their medical insurance? Both?

Reactions: 82Mountaineer

The funding for the raises isn’t even going to come from from WV citizens’ pockets. They’d really be unhappy if they lived within certain school districts in PA where every time it’s determined more funding for teachers’ salaries is needed (i.e. raises), property taxes are raised without a vote from citizens. There are no voting on levies.

They can come to the Carolinas and negotiate a nice pay increase and live a better life. There is a shortage of teachers here and the education is the quality of shit. We could use good educators here. And life in the Southeast is good.[thumb2]

I agree, pay them what they are worth. What are our national rankings for education?

They should be paid on that level.

Reactions: WVUT and wvu2007
Who do you work for ? Do you have peia?
I have high cost Obamacare. The local radio gave the history of WV teacher pay and benfits this past week. PEIA was offered up decades ago in place of teacher pay raises. The teachers accepted the low cost insurance benefit in place of teacher pay. Now they want both. They said it, I didn't

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT