ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football vs. Oklahoma State

Neal Brown says kiss his ass....where you been the last two weeks....waiting for another WVU loss you piece of shit.
Let's not get carried away with the last 2 weeks. TCU was in such a bad place it fired its coach. Iowa State was missing its best defensive player, its heart of the defense, and was too full of itself after beating Oklahoma State the previous week. We played ISU at the perfect time.

Reactions: Rootmaster
"a bad game"

Nope, it's more then just one bad game.....

That's the point. Grier had a real crappy game at ISU in 2018. Not this bad, but still bad. Yet no one would say he is a bad QB because of it. Doege on the other hand has only had a great game as an aberration in his last 15 or more. Hence I think the verdict is in that Doege is just a below average power 5 QB at best and frankly bad in his swan song season.

Let's not get carried away with the last 2 weeks. TCU was in such a bad place it fired its coach. Iowa State was missing its best defensive player, its heart of the defense, and was too full of itself after beating Oklahoma State the previous week. We played ISU at the perfect time.
Its not about getting carried away...its about pieces of shit like root that disappear for two weeks during wins and then comes here to gloat over a bad game and shit on our head coach and team.

They aren't fans...they are garbage.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
That's the point. Grier had a real crappy game at ISU in 2018. Not this bad, but still bad. Yet no one would say he is a bad QB because of it. Doege on the other hand has only had a great game as an aberration in his last 15 or more. Hence I think the verdict is in that Doege is just a below average power 5 QB at best and frankly bad in his swan song season.
Grier also had a very esperienced offensive line and 4 senior receivers. Neither of which would probably made a difference in this game as Oklahoma State had 10 senior starters on defense.

WVU defense played well enough to win but OSU played short field all day. There was no way WVU was going to score giving up 8 sacks 2 turnovers and starting at your 5 yard line entire 2nd half.

OSU scoring drives....
1st and 10 at OSU 47

1st and 10 at WVU 26

1st and 10 WVU 45

Their best scoring drive was for their FG....

But watching the WVU offense you could tell they were not going to score period.

Grier also had a very esperienced offensive line and 4 senior receivers. Neither of which would probably made a difference in this game as Oklahoma State had 10 senior starters on defense.

WVU defense played well enough to win but OSU played short field all day. There was no way WVU was going to score giving up 8 sacks 2 turnovers and starting at your 5 yard line entire 2nd half.

OSU scoring drives....
1st and 10 at OSU 47

1st and 10 at WVU 26

1st and 10 WVU 45

Their best scoring drive was for their FG....

But watching the WVU offense you could tell they were not going to score period.

OSU is a good team with a good defense. However, Doege played flat out terribly and frankly is just a bad QB in my opinion. Sure OSU put pressure on him, but on at least 3 sacks he had 4 or more seconds. That is plenty of time for a 5th year senior at this level. As pointed out by the announcers he had multiple open primary reads that he just didn't throw the ball 2 for some reason like the Wright screen or a Sam James across the middle. When he did make the right read, he threw an uncatchable ball on at least 2 plays. So just like all year, he undoes all the good of his last performance with just an inexplicably bad outing today. I can only think of one or maybe 2 good throws on his 16 completions.

OSU is a good team with a good defense. However, Doege played flat out terribly and frankly is just a bad QB in my opinion. Sure OSU put pressure on him, but on at least 3 sacks he had 4 or more seconds. That is plenty of time for a 5th year senior at this level. As pointed out by the announcers he had multiple open primary reads that he just didn't throw the ball 2 for some reason like the Wright screen or a Sam James across the middle. When he did make the right read, he threw an uncatchable ball on at least 2 plays. So just like all year, he undoes all the good of his last performance with just an inexplicably bad outing today. I can only think of one or maybe 2 good throws on his 16 completions.
Doege can't handle pressure then gets frustrated. The inexperienced OLine against 5th and 6th year seniors did not help.

If Doege plays next year Brown will be fired.

Well one thing good old Kneel has done is make mediocre look good compared to the product he puts on the field. The next coach simply has to breath to look better.
Its strange how you have much to say after a loss but are as quiet as a mouse after a win.

Doege can't handle pressure then gets frustrated. The inexperienced OLine against 5th and 6th year seniors did not help.

If Doege plays next year Brown will be fired.

I know the O-line was not doing him any favors and had their hands full with a tough assignment. However wouldn't you agree that the 5th year senior QB should be helping the team by compensating for the inexperienced line's deficiencies rather than requiring the inexperienced line provide the absolute perfect pocket condition on just about every play for said QB to play well?

OSU's strengths and WVU's other weaknesses may have limited Doege's opportunities, but it's on him that he whiffed on over 3/4 of the ones he did have.

I know the O-line was not doing him any favors and had their hands full with a tough assignment. However wouldn't you agree that the 5th year senior QB should be helping the team by compensating for the inexperienced line's deficiencies rather than requiring the inexperienced line provide the absolute perfect pocket condition on just about every play for said QB to play well?

OSU's strengths and WVU's other weaknesses may have limited Doege's opportunities, but it's on him that he whiffed on over 3/4 of the ones he did have.
Did Will Grier help in 2018? He was a better QB with bad Oline (not as bad as this one). He didn't help us.

Like I've said if Doege is here starting next year Brown will be fired. I don't care if he's a fith year senior or not he sucks.

Did Will Grier help in 2018? He was a dark better QB with bad Oline (not as bad as this one). He didn't help us.

Like I've said if Doege is here starting next year Brown will be fired.

Grier was the biggest reason WVU was any good at all in 2018. He did have great recievers, but the defense was so inept he had to play perfectly to win some of the games WVU lost. Doege on the other hand needs the players around him to play nearly perfect just to give an above average performance. That is the difference between the two. Grier was a great player and mostly played well even when it wasn't enough to make up for other teammate's struggles. Doege has only played well this season when everyone around him compensates for his struggles.

Grier was the biggest reason WVU was any good at all in 2018. He did have great recievers, but the defense was so inept he had to play perfectly to win some of the games WVU lost. Doege on the other hand needs the players around him to play nearly perfect just to give an above average performance. That is the difference between the two. Grier was a great player and mostly played well even when it wasn't enough to make up for other teammate's struggles. Doege has only played well this season when everyone around him compensates for his struggles.
You can say that about 80% of college QB's.

Bottom line on this one is that our offensive line got owned by OSU. If you can't run in this kind of game, you can't win. Defense hung in there but you could see them tiring out.

True. But a starting 5th year senior with 3 starting seasons under his belt at a "Power 5" school should be helping the inexperienced guys more than depending on said inexperienced guys to play beyond their years.
Not really 3 full seasons as Starting QB at a P5 but 22 games. I get what your saying but Doege is not the type of QB that's going to win games for you If you don't block or can not run the ball. He's just not good enough to do it. A 5th year senior or not he just isn't good enough to carry a team. The past 2 weeks should have proven that. Greene is not going to win games either. We are stairing at losing season this year, next year and possibly another after that. Unless he hits the portal jack pot and finds an experienced and talented QB.

Through all the lying, whining and bitching no one has mentioned that #9 was retired.

Because that shit, like homecoming theatrics, are shoe horned in to give "fans" that are not there primarily for the game itself a spectacle to watch. It is also a useful distraction for when an abomination of football occurs on the field. I'm all for Major Harris having his number retired and reviewing the honors he deserves for his accomplishments. But that's a discussion better for times when there isn't more active current events going on.

I love Major but I'm against retiring numbers on principle.

As I recall, when Major was QB, WVU played Ok. State in a bowl game and Gundy was Ok. State's QB.

I love Major but I'm against retiring numbers on principle.

As I recall, when Major was QB, WVU played Ok. State in a bowl game and Gundy was Ok. State's QB.
I thought it was a class move by Gundy when he ran over during the ceremony and gave Major a congratulatory hand shake.

Reactions: denniskembala
Because that shit, like homecoming theatrics, are shoe horned in to give "fans" that are not there primarily for the game itself a spectacle to watch. It is also a useful distraction for when an abomination of football occurs on the field. I'm all for Major Harris having his number retired and reviewing the honors he deserves for his accomplishments. But that's a discussion better for times when there isn't more active current events going on.
What nonsense. No one here mentioned it. A spectacle for non fans not interested in the game? One of the most idiotic posts ever.

We got spanked, plain and simple. OSU has a very good defense and they handled us easily. I was hoping for a good showing but it didnt happen. When you lose in the trenches as bad as we did, you just aint going to win. We got our asses whipped.

I thought it was a class move by Gundy when he ran over during the ceremony and gave Major a congratulatory hand shake.
It was a nice move. It was also telling that he felt comfortable leaving his team during a TO to do it. He knew he didn't need to talk to his players. What was he gonna prep them on? Watch out for the statue in the backfield throwing a horizontal, dink pass that's barely over the LOS?

We got spanked, plain and simple. OSU has a very good defense and they handled us easily. I was hoping for a good showing but it didnt happen. When you lose in the trenches as bad as we did, you just aint going to win. We got our asses whipped.
Their defense was also the most experienced group in all of college football. Who has 14 seniors their 2 deep. With 10 of those as starters. That's crazy. ISU was experienced but not like that.

If WVU run game does not get 100 to 120 or more rushing yards or allows sacks and turnovers, Then Doege is not going to move the ball and neither will Greene.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Can't put everything on the O=line. When Doege hangs in the pocket for five seconds and gets sacked, that means the O-line is doing their job....
If a defense continually pressures Doege he plays awful. It’s as simple as that.

Grier could over come poor line play and poor run game. Doege has to have other things working cause he's not good enough to win a game or move an offense on his own. Grier could do that. Doege has to have what his teammates gave him in the ISU game. If not then you see the crap like yesterday. Doege not good enough to get you there when the rest of the team is not up to par.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I'll post this again.

In 3 games against Okie State under HCNB, WVU has rushed for 111 net yards on 96 rushing attempts.

This should tell HCNB some things:

1. His running schemes stink and need to change. How about an offense with a fullback? There are a limited number of running plays you can try with a 1-back shotgun offense and they don't work against Okie State's defense.

2. He has gone too long with too small OL who can't generate push.

3. This team needs RBs who aren't pedestrian. We've had too many RBs with no burst, who can't make tacklers miss, who look, well, not special. Nothing special about HCNB's RB group. In other words, too pedestrian.

4. You can't have a QB who is less mobile than Johnny Unitas (and he's dead).

Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. HCNB is insane if he doesn't make drastic changes in the way he does things on offense. His schemes, tactics, offense, whatever you want to call it, is not working.

Their defense was also the most experienced group in all of college football. Who has 14 seniors their 2 deep. With 10 of those as starters. That's crazy. ISU was experienced but not like that.

If WVU run game does not get 100 to 120 or more rushing yards or allows sacks and turnovers, Then Doege is not going to move the ball and neither will Greene.
Okie St is the real deal from the way it looks.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
How does that explain the inability to run against Okie State each of the last 2 years?

It doesn't. WVU has never really been able to run the ball all that well under Brown. Any decent defense shuts it down pretty easily. Now I'll concede that the offensive line was the primary position where the cupboard was left bare as WVU didn't even have 5 O-line players with any experience at the end of the 2018 season. That bring said, I'm not impressed by our O line coach or Strength and Conditioning coach at bringing these guys along over 3 years. I'll also admit that I'm not as high on Leddie as some folks. I'm not saying he is bad, but he is more like Shell was than Cobourne, Wilson, Slaton, or even Smallwood.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT