ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football vs. Kansas State

If he's not fired after today, then he is returning next year. No way you can keep this guy after today's showing for a meaningless game next week unless you are bringing him back.

Worst head coach in the Big 12.

Worst coaching staff in the Big 12.

Worst roster in the Big 12.

Any chance the new AD can get us in the MAC? Or maybe get us to drop to Division III?

Worst head coach in the Big 12.

Worst coaching staff in the Big 12.

Worst roster in the Big 12.

Any chance the new AD can get us in the MAC? Or maybe get us to drop to Division III?
I wouldn't go that far. There's talent out there or we wouldn't be putting up numbers with Greene as QB. But as for the staff, definitely. They may not be "bad', but they just aren't fitting with WVU. Good luck to the ones that are let go after the season. Sadly, the one that needs to be with them will be back for 2023.

They might wait for the new AD to fire Brown, but I hope not. If they keep him around next season its going to be a huge downer. This dud has to go asap. His over-analytical, tunnel-vision approach to football isn't fit for P5 ball.

Worst roster in the Big 12. I’ll stand by that. We have only, what, maybe 3 guys (and that might be a stretch) on both sides of the ball who would start for other Big 12 teams. We have no speed, no size, no quick-twitch guys. This roster has no strong qualities.

Last edited:
WVU has 8 TDs the last two games (3 vs OU, 5 vs KSU). They have a net total of 1 point following those 8 TDs.

Vs OU, we kicked 2 XPs but lost 2 points when they ran that one back, for a net of 0 points.

Vs KSU we kicked 1 XP and on the other four TDs we either missed the XP or failed on the conversion try, for a net of 1 point.

WVU lost the last three games of Holgy's last season. Adding those in, WVU is 21-28 in their last 49 games.

ETA: For a comparison, Frank Cignetti was 17-27 in his time at WVU, from 1976 thru 1979.

If WVU loses to Okla St next week then it will have lost 29 of the previous 50 games. Below is a link to the record for every WVU season. It looks to me like the only time it could have happened was around the 1958-61 stretch, where they went 11-26-3. That is 40 games so you'd have to add 10 more. But 1957 and 1961 were good seasons at 7-2-1 and 8-2 respectively, so adding in either of those years would make just 28 losses in 50 games. And you can't cherry pick how much of either of those seasons to take because WVU won the last three games of 1957 and won the first five of 1961.

The math can be tricky so check me, but it looks to me like WVU has never had a 50 game stretch with as many as 29 losses.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/west-virginia/index.html

We can't play that game if we talk about WVU never having won fewer than 21 games in a 50 game stretch because all games today have a winner and loser but back then there were ties. During the stretch I referred to, WVU did win less than 21 times in a 50 game stretch.

ETA: Oops, sorry, I don't think that's quite right. If you take 17-27 during Cignetti 76-79 and add some of the end of 1975 and/or the beginning of 1980, then you can come up with 21-29. But if WVU loses to Okla State and then loses the opener to Penn State in 2023 to make it 30 losses in 51 games, then that might be the first time ever losing 30 in a 51 game stretch.

ETA Again: WVU went 17-27 in 76 thru 79, then start 1980 at 4-2, which makes 21-29. And then lost three most after that, which made 21-32. I think that's the worst 53 stretch. So WVU would have to lose to Okla St next week then lose the first three in 2023 to match that. But as far as 50 game stretches go, I think 21-29 from 1976 thru the first six games of 1980 is it, so a WVU loss next week matches that.

Last edited:
That extra 4 million can go a long way towards the next staff.
Teams looking for new coaches that are NOT in bowl games usually make the decision prior to the January bowl games. Not always, but usually. If we wait until January 1st, we are too far behind the negotiations that go along with finding the next head coach during bowl season. That's why I predict if he's still here after this weekend, he will be here in 2023.

Teams looking for new coaches that are NOT in bowl games usually make the decision prior to the January bowl games. Not always, but usually. If we wait until January 1st, we are too far behind the negotiations that go along with finding the next head coach during bowl season. That's why I predict if he's still here after this weekend, he will be here in 2023.
Those teams have deep pocket donors. With today's NIL and Transfer portals a coach can walk in and win at anytime.

Hired as an OC in December 2010, Dana wasn't named HC until June 10th, 2011 then went on to win the Orange Bowl 70-33. He didn't have the advantages of today's staff. But players couldn't transfer out as easy either.

If your line of thinking is you need to be early on these things then you shouldn't pay your coach so much money and do not give out 100% of salary as a buyout clause. Then fire them after game 1.

The early jump theory is just that, a theory.

Those teams have deep pocket donors. With today's NIL and Transfer portals a coach can walk in and win at anytime.

Hired as an OC in December 2010, Dana wasn't named HC until June 10th, 2011 then went on to win the Orange Bowl 70-33. He didn't have the advantages of today's staff. But players couldn't transfer out as easy either.

If your line of thinking is you need to be early on these things then you shouldn't pay your coach so much money and do not give out 100% of salary as a buyout clause. Then fire them after game 1.

The early jump theory is just that, a theory.
A "theory"? Sure, just like yours. But fact is that the better candidates will already have gotten 1-2 months of interviews or flirtations from other schools and by the time WVU decides to take the plunge, we get left with the crumbs. Maybe that works out, maybe it doesn't. But I still believe if we don't fire him before Jan. 1st, we won't.

Also, these buyouts almost always get negotiated down a bunch.

A "theory"? Sure, just like yours. But fact is that the better candidates will already have gotten 1-2 months of interviews or flirtations from other schools and by the time WVU decides to take the plunge, we get left with the crumbs. Maybe that works out, maybe it doesn't. But I still believe if we don't fire him before Jan. 1st, we won't.

Also, these buyouts almost always get negotiated down a bunch.
Probably does get negotiated down.

Who is exactly is a better candidate for WVU that is out there. Rhule is not a good fit. Liepold would not come here, Jimbo will never be here, Hugh Freeze just signed an 8 year extension, Rob Mullen not an interest and Rod Fraud will never be asked I don't care how much smoke is out there.

If Brown stays and wins 10 to 12 games next year (I know it would be a dream miracle) do you still fire him?

I just don't think it's that big a deal when the hire is in today's game and transfer portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT