ADVERTISEMENT

"We can’t pass," Huggins said. "But we haven’t been able to pass all year."

Gee, hope you recruited somebody for next year who can accomplish this basic fundamental skill. Shouldn't be very hard, right.

I said this the other night while the ass whooping was taking place. We pass the ball lazy. No crisp snap passes, way to much air time under ball makes it easy for the defender to close down and steal it away. it would have been just as easy to walk over and hand them the ball, sprint back to there end of court and start again.

All roads lead to Huggs.

He recruited them, and he coaches them.

Period.

Maybe the light has come on:

“We can't pass,” Huggins later said. “But we haven't been able to pass all year. … I think sometimes you better go recruit some guys that can pass because I'm not sure it's something you can teach. It's kind of like shooting. If you're a bad shooter, you can become a little better, but you're never really going to be a good shooter. I think, if you're a bad passer, you can get better, but you're never going to be a good passer. It's a skill thing.” - See more at: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...re-does-wvu-go-from-here#sthash.OuwFhsFi.dpuf

Maybe the light has come on:

“We can't pass,” Huggins later said. “But we haven't been able to pass all year. … I think sometimes you better go recruit some guys that can pass because I'm not sure it's something you can teach. It's kind of like shooting. If you're a bad shooter, you can become a little better, but you're never really going to be a good shooter. I think, if you're a bad passer, you can get better, but you're never going to be a good passer. It's a skill thing.” - See more at: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...re-does-wvu-go-from-here#sthash.OuwFhsFi.dpuf

Reads like Huggs is making excuses for his inability to teach. Passing isn't like shooting...just like certain players should never be allowed to dribble. Yet, we see them do it....turnover after turnover.....

Reads like Huggs is making excuses for his inability to teach. Passing isn't like shooting...just like certain players should never be allowed to dribble. Yet, we see them do it....turnover after turnover.....

Some players can't be taught, and bad habits are hard to break by the time they reach the college level.

Huggs ain't making excuses. He's on his way to the bank with his reward for making the NCAA's.

Some players can't be taught, and bad habits are hard to break by the time they reach the college level.

BS... ...and even if true it's not like Huggs doesn't know how to make them volunteer to transfer.

Some players are naturally better at different aspects of the game. But passing is a skill that can be taught.
Our guys worked more on disrupting the other team's passing game than it did on developing its own.

You can work on your shot by yourself in the gym.
But you need direct coaching of the whole team to become a better passing team.

I have said at times, not so much this year, that I grow weary of watching Huggs teams play offense because it can be so dang ugly. Sounds like Huggs himself is getting tired of watching it too.

I'm a little disappointed about his comment of needing to recruit passers. Huggs needs to bump into a "Kevin Mackey" of the passing game and then start teaching passing ... at every practice..

But as far as recruiting goes, imo, Huggs needs to recruit slightly smarter players on average and then teach them all the fundamentals of team basketball.

If you can't teach a Division 1 player how to better pass the ball then that player shouldn't be playing D1 ball. That assumes, of course, that a coach can teach the passing game.

Our passing directly affects our shooting as well. If you look at the games where we shot the ball well it was usually that we were making sharp, accurate passes. We could shoot the 3 ok when our shooters caught an accurate pass and stepped into their j.

The debacle on Friday was so far from that. It wasn't a matter of being slightly off but it was poor decisions and execution over and over again.

Reactions: mtneer8
It seems plausible that a player or two on a given team does not pass well but..............to have an entire team that doesn't pass well.....................makes no sense. I call BS on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT