ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM Uncertainty abound over football, college sports world

It would be stupid to do all the crap we're doing now to then have large gatherings for football in the fall. If history has taught us anything, it's that viruses of all types tend to increase in the fall and winter. So if this thing is still around after the summer and there is no indication that it will not be, it would be the middle of football season when it's prime season starts up again. The worst spread and death rate of the Spanish flu was the second winter it was around. Unless a vaccine comes out or wide spread antibody testing confirms most of the population had silent to mild cases and are already immune, neither of which is likely without a miracle, then it'd be counter to our current level of caution to have such mass gatherings for sports in the fall.

Fall will be here before we know it. A vaccine is at least a year out according to the "experts" who have already been incorrect with their predictions multiple times. Also, vaccines are not bulletproof. We have a flu vaccine, yet tens of thousands still die from it every year. I think if we were to have a season at all, it will have to be teams playing in empty stadiums. As long as the games are still on TV, that doesn't change much for me as I refuse to pay ridiculous prices to watch them in person. They could pipe in some recorded crowd noises to make it seem like fans are there. I think a lot of WVU fans put the TV on mute and listen to Tony Caridi anyway.

Well...how about the health of the players who would be on the field to feed your sports fantasy addiction?
It's a good practice not to read more into something a random internet person says than what they actually say, as you will often be wrong about your assumptions. In this case, I don't have a sports fantasy addiction and can easily do without WVU football for the rest of my life. For me, and every other fan, it's pure entertainment. It's not a need. If the health of the players is in jeopardy, by all means, cancel the season to protect their health. However, if they feel the players can be tested for the virus before practices/games, and want to carry on with the season, then I have no problem with all the games being on TV without any fans. So there you go, don't read more into what others say than what is said next time.

Reactions: CAK125
So as long as players get tested constantly and just a few drop over and you get a game to watch then that's okay? Grab a six pack and wings and life goes on.

The Get off my Lawn guy gets boring after awhile when he uses it too much.
Go follow Greggy around. He is more your speed.

So, how does the visiting team get to the home team's field? Maybe they can all walk there, observing the 6 ft. social distancing. Putting them on a plane would not be good. Too many people in a closed area. Unless this virus shuts down by 4/30, I don't see football season in the fall. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Rootmaster
The ADs and presidents will play football next year. Might be the only sport that is played but they will play it in the 2020-2022 school year

My understanding is that the ncaa is looking at different scenarios with a jun 1...jul 1...and aug 1 target. Problem is getting team in shape and practiced...all under spector of CV still lurking. No fans. Perhaps no OFC games. They will try to salvage tv money but player safety trumps all. And the issue of schools have to be back in session with normal routine.

So no student athletes...just ADs and Presidents suiting up. Gee is the front runner for Mountaineer QB.

It is their decision.

NCAA doesn't have much say with college football.
The other sports they do but not college football.

Reason why you have conferences with different rules as of right now on what is allowed or not

It is their decision.

NCAA doesn't have much say with college football.
The other sports they do but not college football.

Reason why you have conferences with different rules as of right now on what is allowed or not

Nice dance junior. Wiggle right. Wiggle left. Sorry but you still sound like a big feeling goof and dork. Do you ever get out in the sunshine?

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Fall will be here before we know it. A vaccine is at least a year out according to the "experts" who have already been incorrect with their predictions multiple times. Also, vaccines are not bulletproof. We have a flu vaccine, yet tens of thousands still die from it every year. I think if we were to have a season at all, it will have to be teams playing in empty stadiums. As long as the games are still on TV, that doesn't change much for me as I refuse to pay ridiculous prices to watch them in person. They could pipe in some recorded crowd noises to make it seem like fans are there. I think a lot of WVU fans put the TV on mute and listen to Tony Caridi anyway.

So, you are saying that Pitt will have the advantage since they've been playing in front of empty stadiums for decades now.

The ADs and presidents will play football next year. Might be the only sport that is played but they will play it in the 2020-2022 school year

AD/Presidents wont have the authority to make that decision. That will come from the governors offices.

And there is no way they will cancel other sports but allow football.

You are obtuse.

So, how does the visiting team get to the home team's field? Maybe they can all walk there, observing the 6 ft. social distancing. Putting them on a plane would not be good. Too many people in a closed area. Unless this virus shuts down by 4/30, I don't see football season in the fall. Hope I'm wrong.

Yep...need lodging for them and staff, and meals, and not to mention other town resources to accommodate whether audience present or not (airports, transportation, ect.) and media crew to televise games, and maintenance crew for field....

And of course, the possibility of having to send players to hospital during a pandemic when the hospital is limiting resources.

..and thats not even touching the public relations/optics of it.

Right - because schools and businesses are shutdown for months each year during flu season.

Statewide stay-at-home orders are a yearly event.

When all is said and done, and IF WE TESTED EVERYONE, the mortality rate of this virus will be lower than the flu. Have we overreacted? No. We just reacted too late. If we had done this in January then we would be enjoying baseball and basketball and spring football. Our leaders failed us.

As for the virus, practice what we should be practicing all along. Healthy diets. Good exercise. Vitamins and nutrients to help out immune systems function properly. MANKIND CANNOT DEFEAT MOTHER NATURE.

When all is said and done, and IF WE TESTED EVERYONE, the mortality rate of this virus will be lower than the flu. Have we overreacted? No. We just reacted too late. If we had done this in January then we would be enjoying baseball and basketball and spring football. Our leaders failed us.

As for the virus, practice what we should be practicing all along. Healthy diets. Good exercise. Vitamins and nutrients to help out immune systems function properly. MANKIND CANNOT DEFEAT MOTHER NATURE.

The mortality rate for flu is .1%.

Theres no evidence to suggest this will be lower than .1%. Best case scenario the mortality rate will be .4% - 1.5%.

So best case scenario is its 4 time more deadly than flu, but also has a higher hospitalization rate...also spreads easier. The worst-best case scenario is about 15 times more deadly than influenza. The worst-worst case scenario, 3.5% is 35 times more deadly than flue.

China reported its first death on January 11th. How the hell were we suppose to shutdown the entire country in January?

The United States had its first positive case Jan. 20th.

This is biological. And mankind uses medicine, and technology daily to defeat it - I suppose you never heard of vaccines?

Your opinions, as usual...are uninformed and uneducated.

Last edited:
Nice try but way too shallow lol. However i'm thinking you have formed your opinions due to a lifetime of self quarantine and isolation.

Cant defeat mother nature...according to that bonehead.

Thats why medicine never works....vaccines are fake, surgical procedures have no effect.

Also the same reason the world has no dams, and planes cant lift off the ground.

I guess when mother nature decides MountaineerWV's heart should stop beating, he will refuse the defibrillator - because that never helps.

The mortality rate for flu is .1%.

Theres no evidence to suggest this will be lower than .1%. Best case scenario the mortality rate will be .4% - 1.5%.

So best case scenario is its 4 time more deadly than flu, but also has a higher hospitalization rate...also spreads easier. The worst-best case scenario is about 15 times more deadly than influenza. The worst-worst case scenario, 3.5% is 35 times more deadly than flue.

China reported its first death on January 11th. How the hell were we suppose to shutdown the entire country in January?

The United States had its first positive case Jan. 20th.

This is biological. And mankind uses medicine, and technology daily to defeat it - I suppose you never heard of vaccines?

Your opinions, as usual...are uninformed and uneducated.

So, if we tested everyone, you are saying that it won't be that of the flu? Yep, dumb response. You are watching too much brainwashed TV.

Nice try but way too shallow lol. However i'm thinking you have formed your opinions due to a lifetime of self quarantine and isolation.

Or......possibly.....I understand that mankind cannot defeat Mother Nature. So, while we are at it, let's make all those that live in Tornado Alley move since you cannot predict when it will hit and how many will be affected and how many will die. Prevent deaths on everything. Let's ban smoking 100%. Prison sentence for anyone who does use tobacco. No vaccine for cancer. Got to ban that. I could keep going.

Cant defeat mother nature...according to that bonehead.

Thats why medicine never works....vaccines are fake, surgical procedures have no effect.

Also the same reason the world has no dams, and planes cant lift off the ground.

I guess when mother nature decides MountaineerWV's heart should stop beating, he will refuse the defibrillator - because that never helps.

Oh, so the flu vaccine works on everyone? Didn't know that. Same with HIV. Didn't know that. Cancer. Didn't know that.

Oh, so the flu vaccine works on everyone? Didn't know that. Same with HIV. Didn't know that. Cancer. Didn't know that.

We treat all those conditions.

HIV treatment is effective...which is why people who have it live better lives now than before we had treatment, bonehead. Same with cancer treatment.

Are you implying vaccines are ineffectual?

You seriously dont believe medicine treats illness?

Last edited:
We treat all those conditions.

Yes, we do.....and don't cure it.....and sometimes doesn't help.......my point is simple and the fact that you guys don't get it proves that you are incapable of understanding.

Shutting everything down for this virus wasn't a bad thing. It was done too late. Plus, when it comes BACK (and it will) are we going to shut it down again? OH, but we will have a vaccine and medicines.....yeah, that will cure everyone and make it non-effective!

Yes, we do.....and don't cure it.....and sometimes doesn't help.......my point is simple and the fact that you guys don't get it proves that you are incapable of understanding.

Shutting everything down for this virus wasn't a bad thing. It was done too late. Plus, when it comes BACK (and it will) are we going to shut it down again? OH, but we will have a vaccine and medicines.....yeah, that will cure everyone and make it non-effective!

Yes, a vaccine would drastically decrease the severity of the virus on the population. Thats what vaccines do, bonehead.

It's why pertussis went from 265,000 cases in the 1930's to 40,000 by the 60's....i guess mother nature lost a few rounds.

Last edited:
Yes, a vaccine would drastically decrease the severity of the virus on the population. Thats what vaccines do, bonehead.

It's why pertussis went from 265,000 cases in the 1930's to 40,000 by the 60's....i guess mother nature lost a few rounds.

Mother Nature lost? Unless the number is ZERO she didn't..........

Mother Nature lost? Unless the number is ZERO she didn't..........

Yes.

Science and medicine was able to successfully treat the population and control a deadly illness.

That didnt happen by accident. Humans, using their brains - solved a problem that was harming society.

How many loved ones have you lost due to tuberculosis? Care to guess why the number of case rates go down each year, like clock work? Do you think "mother nature" just stopped trying?

Last edited:
Yes.

Science and medicine was able to successfully treat the population and control a deadly illness.

That didnt happen by accident. Humans, using their brains - solved a problem that was harming society.

How many loved ones have you lost due to tuberculosis? Care to guess why the number of case rates go down each year, like clock work? Do you think "mother nature" just stopped trying?

ZERO = victory

Even if the virus mortality rate is the same as flu, the stability of the virus outside of a vector and the asymptomatic cases that can still spread it results in a larger number of infected. With how fast it has spread, it is obvious the number of undiagnosed cases in the community is through the roof. Thus the death rate, barring a new mutation, will inevitably fall given we are only testing the folks that are likely to die from the disease and not the ones with it that are likely to be fine. This is somewhat reassuring, but the number of infected likely ends up being 5x or more than that of a typical flu season, which the current numbers indicate. Again this is due to a lack of vaccine and how much more easily it is transmissible compared to the flu. However a similar death rate to the flu with over 5x the number infected is still 5x the number of deaths. And that is ON TOP of the flu deaths for this year. So 2 things can be true at the same time. One, the death rate is highly likely to be lower than current numbers indicate. Two, the total number that are going to be infected means the total number of deaths will dwarf even the worst of modern flu seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT