ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Gibson is winning these games...not Dana

I have...and you're DEAD WRONG.

If you don't think a QB doesn't initiate/request audibles then your last and only experience holding a football was at the McGill College Punt Pass and Kick Competition in 4th grade.

,,,,and you likely got smoked by a 3rd grade girl.

Are you prepared to cover Dana's back when so many of our 'know better than the coach' fans take him to task (this year, next year, when he is a senior and has consumed his eligibility) for wasting one year of eligibility? You argue that Dana is wrong to NOT burn the red shirt. Many of your very vocal friends would find fault with this decision. And you know, they know a lot more about football than our coaching staff, you or me.
As for who is winning (or not winning) games--Is this not a team comprised of a number of individuals with very different skill sets? Teams are just that--TEAMS made up of a lot of individuals, HOPEFULLY, pulling together toward the same goal. When ALL win there is no need for individuals to claim victory (if we have a true team--and it seems from your contribution that you are unwilling for this model to play out. We must reward one while taking another to task. From what I read you must believe in a very different spelling of T-E-A-M that includes an "I".

No one will have his back if we can't field a healthy RB and force Howard into a situation he can't handle.....single handedly carrying a team by passing alone.

Again...,this is a great opportunity RIGHT NOW. How do you not go all in at this point?

Im reading about how we are losing Dana to Oregon, Texas, LSU, etc and how he's not liking our AD.

Bull crap

Skyler Howard is regressing as this season goes on.

Dana's insistence on playing Crawford and Shell just enough to keeping them injured.WHY OH WHY DO YOU PLAY CRAWFORD AGAINST KANSAS. KANSAS!!!!!!

Dana's insistence on not running Petteway against Texas. McCoy was a wreck by the end of that Texas game. He just wasn't ready for that kind of workload...which put even more pressure on a regressed Howard.
I don't want to burn his RS either, but don't you friggin play to win the game? (yes I know we won...but what is going to be left of McKoy for that OK game after this?)

Plus he HORRIBLY underperformed compared to his pay in his first 4 years in the B12.

He has evolved/improved as a HC....but make no doubt. Gibby is winning games for us and he absolutely overcame the points above to win that game at Texas.

This post is to settle down the chicken littles. We'll be OK if he leaves if we can keep the assistants loyal to WVU (majority) and Carrier/Blue. Move Gibby up. He would still run the defense like Dana essentially runs the offense. Wickline has been a huge help for our OL and advising Dana. Hire a hotshot OC/QB coach Coaching Greer will be a great recruiting tool.

I do want Dana back. I think 5M/yr for 5 yrs makes sense. But giving him the leverage his last contract afforded is insane. A 2M out for either side is fine. I'm not going to lynch Lyons is he refuses to go beyond that kind of line in the sand. I also know Lyons was right to make him earn his contract this year( I would have too).
Look, I have been critical of DH in the past and for good reason, but now is not the time. You cannot give all credit to an assistant coach when we win and then put all the blame on the HC when we lose. Holgorsen is in charge of the entire program, and my criticism of him in the past is that while he was a good OC, he was not good at running the entire program. Well, at least at this point, he appears to be getting better at that. He has the right people in place, to include Gibson, but Holgorsen has to be given credit for that as well. Is he still making mistakes, I'm sure he is, but when he does, it is good that our defense can bail him out. That is what good teams do.

Look, I have been critical of DH in the past and for good reason, but now is not the time. You cannot give all credit to an assistant coach when we win and then put all the blame on the HC when we lose. Holgorsen is in charge of the entire program, and my criticism of him in the past is that while he was a good OC, he was not good at running the entire program. Well, at least at this point, he appears to be getting better at that. He has the right people in place, to include Gibson, but Holgorsen has to be given credit for that as well. Is he still making mistakes, I'm sure he is, but when he does, it is good that our defense can bail him out. That is what good teams do.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? Is it because Dana is not from WV and Gibby is? I mean these same posters would be blasting Dana if we were scoring 45 points per game and leading the nation in offense and the D was losing the games due to the defense.

This board is a bizaro world.

Reactions: The Hunteeeeeer
Who hired Gibson? That's right, Dana.

And Keith Patterson and eFor and Doran Roberts. Dana has had lots of whiffs there too....that's why Ollie stepped in and essentially took over hiring asst coaches for a while.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? Is it because Dana is not from WV and Gibby is? I mean these same posters would be blasting Dana if we were scoring 45 points per game and leading the nation in offense and the D was losing the games due to the defense.

This board is a bizaro world.
My criticism of Holgorsen never had a thing to do with where he was from or wasn't from. I felt he simply had not shown himself to be good head coach material. I felt that he had had long enough to prove that and had not done so to this point. I will be the first to tell you that when it means good things for WVU, I will gladly admit to being wrong. At this point it appears that I was and I could not be happier about it.

My point being, not everyone who had or still has reservations about him is a "Dana basher." Now, people who fail to give him any credit for our current success, while bashing him for any hint of failure, yes, they certainly could fit that description. At the same time, those who loved the man from the beginning and called out anyone who didn't simply because he wasn't our last HC, well, they were just as wrong in my opinion.

Again, I could not be more happy that it appears my assessment of the man as a HC was wrong. I hope this continues and as long as it means good things for my Mountaineers I will eat as much crow as the baiters on this board want to feed me.

For those who with comprehension issues after reading the first post....I did say I want him extended. The guarantee years thing has to go....that's suicidal to a program. Call me guilty of looking at his body of work as a whole.

I am also saying that while I don't want him to go, that WVU football will continue to win with or without him. I was not a huge Gibby fan when we rehired him (many weren't)...but he has developed into perhaps the best D-Coordinator we've had at WVU. At minimum he is inserting himself into the conversation.

If Dana turns this into a "either it's me or him" thing with Lyons...then that's a tough call. If he wins out this year, regardless of the bowl/playoff outcome, then you get rid of Lyons to make Dana happy. But I would still insist on some sanity of the guaranteed years.

Now if we win out period, then all this goes out the door and he essentially will be running the AD. You just get him what he wants.

.... If Dana turns this into a "either it's me or him" thing with Lyons...then that's a tough call.

Where in the name of anything and everything that is rational or resembles sound thinking do you even remotely get the idea that Dana Holgorsen would even begin to entertain the idea that "either it's me or him"?

I mean seriously .... that is either completely out in left field or you are deliberately attempting to create the appearance of a controversy where none exists.

Did you see Gibby and Holgorsen jumping for joy and then hugging each other after the win at UT?

These guys work well together and respect each other. Joe Wickline very recently said that the collegiality and productivity of this whole staff is something he has never experienced before. And he credited Dana for creating that atmosphere.

So .... stop with the bullshit!

Where in the name of anything and everything that is rational or resembles sound thinking do you even remotely get the idea that Dana Holgorsen would even begin to entertain the idea that "either it's me or him"?

I mean seriously .... that is either completely out in left field or you are deliberately attempting to create the appearance of a controversy where none exists.

Did you see Gibby and Holgorsen jumping for joy and then hugging each other after the win at UT?

These guys work well together and respect each other. Joe Wickline very recently said that the collegiality and productivity of this whole staff is something he has never experienced before. And he credited Dana for creating that atmosphere.

I think he met Lyons...not Gibby.

1303a1.jpg

I disagree about McCoy though. Our offense was playing well until we went pass happy and forgot to mix it up. Dana has that tendency. If Howard throws for a first down then throws another first down in succession, you can bet the following play is another pass and so on.

Who is K McCoy We have a K McKoy on our team. Not trying to nit pic, but at least spell the kids name right. Now to go have fun go back and loo at how many time I
misspelled it. Only a few, but I to got called out on it so now I have to do the same.

Actually I can read quite well. I am guilty of not completely reading steel's post.

And where is the evidence, other than in steeleer's imagination, to suggest that Dana would turn this into a "me or him" scenario?
Does anyone think that Gee would be party to such nonsense? Not me.

So ..... while I screwed up by not completely reading the post .... I still stand by my assertion that steeleer should stop the bullshit.

Who is K McCoy We have a K McKoy on our team. Not trying to nit pic, but at least spell the kids name right. Now to go have fun go back and loo at how many time I
misspelled it. Only a few, but I to got called out on it so now I have to do the same.
Feel better now?

And Keith Patterson and eFor and Doran Roberts. Dana has had lots of whiffs there too....that's why Ollie stepped in and essentially took over hiring asst coaches for a while.
Patterson was not a bad hire. Slaughter and DeForest, yes. Roberts, yes. Those are bad hires. Did he not make needed changes to the staff a lot better than his predecessor? I think so. He yanked DeForest and put him on special teams and safeties (poor with the former, decent with the latter). Roberts didn't return. Slaughter also wasn't retained. Patterson went to Arizona State and that opened the door for Tony Gibson to take over the defense after one year back as a position coach. It wasn't a pretty time, but @Vernon I think made a good point to wait it out and it was proven to be a great move. Had it worked out like many fans expected, then we'd be calling for Dana's head.

Still, on the other point of contention, once you commit to redshirting a player, you leave them alone. Petteway needs the year to be in better shape next year. If he didn't, he'd be with McKoy right now in the backfield. Teams that burn redshirts, especially this late in the year, are doing so out of desperation. Think when Mike Gundy brought in Rudolph back in the end of 2014. He didn't really show greatness then and lost a year in the process. Instead of him being a redshirt sophomore, he's a junior. Plus, who's to say Shell and Crawford won't be playing this week? They've gotten rest.

Im reading about how we are losing Dana to Oregon, Texas, LSU, etc and how he's not liking our AD.

Bull crap

Skyler Howard is regressing as this season goes on.

Dana's insistence on playing Crawford and Shell just enough to keeping them injured.WHY OH WHY DO YOU PLAY CRAWFORD AGAINST KANSAS. KANSAS!!!!!!

Dana's insistence on not running Petteway against Texas. McCoy was a wreck by the end of that Texas game. He just wasn't ready for that kind of workload...which put even more pressure on a regressed Howard.
I don't want to burn his RS either, but don't you friggin play to win the game? (yes I know we won...but what is going to be left of McKoy for that OK game after this?)

Plus he HORRIBLY underperformed compared to his pay in his first 4 years in the B12.

He has evolved/improved as a HC....but make no doubt. Gibby is winning games for us and he absolutely overcame the points above to win that game at Texas.

This post is to settle down the chicken littles. We'll be OK if he leaves if we can keep the assistants loyal to WVU (majority) and Carrier/Blue. Move Gibby up. He would still run the defense like Dana essentially runs the offense. Wickline has been a huge help for our OL and advising Dana. Hire a hotshot OC/QB coach Coaching Greer will be a great recruiting tool.

I do want Dana back. I think 5M/yr for 5 yrs makes sense. But giving him the leverage his last contract afforded is insane. A 2M out for either side is fine. I'm not going to lynch Lyons is he refuses to go beyond that kind of line in the sand. I also know Lyons was right to make him earn his contract this year( I would have too).

Bump to rub it in on all the folks who gave me crap for this thread when I first wrote this

yeah but how about all the crippling turnovers by the offense?

& how many times has the defense bailed out the offense & been put on short fields?

had not been for the defense, we would've lost the BYU, K-State, & TX games. that'd be 5 losses.

they also shut down TX Tech & TCU -- doubt we could've outgunned them offensively if shootouts ensued.

the D was supposed to be suspect & the O potent, a la 2012. it's the opposite. & K-St aside, we do not face stout defenses in the BXII no question.

I feel like the team basically has co-head coaches if you will -- Gibson clearly has autonomy & runs the show on defense; Dana controls the offense & meets at the podium with the press. Gibson I think is the better recruiter.

However you slice it, it has been a fun ride for the most part this season. Looking for a strong finish & a bowl win over a truly quality opponent.

Reactions: GoWVU
I feel like the team basically has co-head coaches if you will -- Gibson clearly has autonomy & runs the show on defense; Dana controls the offense & meets at the podium with the press. Gibson I think is the better recruiter.

However you slice it, it has been a fun ride for the most part this season. Looking for a strong finish & a bowl win over a truly quality opponent.

Well .... I guess those stories from various people about the camaraderie amongst the whole coaching staff is just a bunch of BS. And when Joe Wickline said that he had never experience such a good coaching culture as he has experienced at WV and that Dana was responsible for creating it he was just blowing smoke.

We lost last night. It was a total team failure in the first half. But we have more than "co-head coaches."

Gibson lost the game last night with his defense more worried about fighting OK than tackling them

Our defense played one bad game all season....period. This final score reflected what would have happened at least a few more times this season if Gibby defense didn't bail out Howard and Dana's offense.

I'll again state that WVU will be just fine if Dana moves on. This isn't RRod in 2005 when he helped change how offense is run in CFB. There are tons of sharp offensive minds that could put together the level of offense we have seen the past 4 years.

I'll also again state I want Dana to come back....on a much more WVU friendly (i.e. no guaranteed years) contract. This loss might have helped make that happen. If not, an upwardly mobile OC would love to have what we have coming back on offense with Grier running it.

Reactions: pressvirginia
Hurdy, don't think it's negative nor said it was a bad thing. point must have been lost in translation.

my opinion & from what it looks like on television is Gibson coaches the team an equal amount that Dana does. & the defense, though not perfect, has won several close games this season. was not expected to be this way, but a welcomed asset.

agree the coaches & players seem to have camaraderie.

Our defense played one bad game all season....period. This final score reflected what would have happened at least a few more times this season if Gibby defense didn't bail out Howard and Dana's offense.

I'll again state that WVU will be just fine if Dana moves on. This isn't RRod in 2005 when he helped change how offense is run in CFB. There are tons of sharp offensive minds that could put together the level of offense we have seen the past 4 years.

I'll also again state I want Dana to come back....on a much more WVU friendly (i.e. no guaranteed years) contract. This loss might have helped make that happen. If not, an upwardly mobile OC would love to have what we have coming back on offense with Grier running it.

My thoughts exactly. I would like him to stay, but it wouldn't rock the entire establishment of WVU if he didn't. Plug in Gibson as HC and hire someone off the Mumme/Leach/Gundy tree to run the offense.

Reactions: WVmtnBikEER
didn't TCU kinda do this? Patterson runs the defense. then they went out & hired two OCs that revamped their offense instantly. from 4-8 to top 10 nationally. stuck a receiver at QB who became a Heisman quality playmaker.

this year they are down without Boykin now, but they've enjoyed noteworthy success recently & in their own transition into the BXII conference from the MWC.

don't really care who has what title, just like to watch winning football, which mostly has been the case this season.

I think Gibson's 3-3-5 with a stout running offense would be very disruptive in our conference. we're kinda moving towards that, but work to do.

Reactions: GoWVU and xWVU2010x
What makes anyone think GIbson would make a good Head Coach? I mean there is a HUGE difference between the two. I've also heard he want's nothing to do with it due to the commitments involved (public speaking, alumni etc. etc.)

I mean Holgerson was an amazing OC, but it took WAY too long to learn on the job. Not saying it would happen, just saying it could.

If we lost Dana, I would be up for bringing in an experienced HC. It's a different world, even at the high school level.

What makes anyone think GIbson would make a good Head Coach? I mean there is a HUGE difference between the two. I've also heard he want's nothing to do with it due to the commitments involved (public speaking, alumni etc. etc.)

I mean Holgerson was an amazing OC, but it took WAY too long to learn on the job. Not saying it would happen, just saying it could.

If we lost Dana, I would be up for bringing in an experienced HC. It's a different world, even at the high school level.

If DH left and we went that route I definitely think there is more upside with a younger hungrier coach from the MAC or CUSA than a big name "retread" coach from the SEC or the NFL who got fired. The only exception to that IMO would be Chip Kelly, but I do not want someone like Miles, Kiffen, Tressel who I doubt would mesh well here. There is also a bigger floor with an up and comer, but the blueprint is pretty clear for non "A list" programs vying for relevance, get an up and comer with new ideas to rock the establishment, or just drift along in mediocrity.

It was a total team effort. The offense, defense, special teams, coaching...you name it, they were all bad. The true test of how far Holgorsen has come as a head coach will be this week against Iowa State. Every coach has these type games from time to time, but can you get the team refocused and not let this game beat us again?

Every coach has these type games from time to time
Eeeyeaaaah, I don't know about that. I don't think I seen a complete breakdown like that by a Mountaineer team before (except maybe the last few years of W.G. Catlett).

Don't go there CFE. The experts here are guzzling the kool aid....hard.

After looking at the first half replay of the Oklahoma game, I'd have to say that Tony's marauders were guilty, too.

Sure, they had a short field for one, but a long field for the other, and missed tackle after tackle.

Special teams fumbled a kick away to set up an easy TD.

Crawford, who did everything right the rest of the game, fumbled it away just short of the Sooner goal line.

That's 28 points handed to Oklahoma by ALL three sides of the ball before halftime.

The defense has been the savior most of the season. But it got in line with the special teams and the offense for the first half of the Oklahoma game. No one gets a gold star on the Mountaineer side in this one.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T ony’s turbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nother defense whipping, of TCU, 34-10

I gnominy of turnovers against Oklahoma State, 20-37

N o problem decimating Kansas, 48-21

E xcellent, timely defense AGAIN; beat Texas, 24-20

E rectile dysfunctioned against Oklahoma, 56-28

R ebound at Iowa State

S urvive Baylor

I hate that so many guys are injured forcing his hand, so my apologies for the sarcasm. I probably would have experimented with Crest and Wellman before burning a redshirt, but I'm just a recliner coach :-D

Butt hurt = commenting on the obvious?

Are you trying to say you agree with how Dana handled this situation? A yes or no is all I need.

Of course I agree with how it was handled. We tried to save his redshirt the best we could but injuries prohibited that

We had no choice. Meanwhile, 9-2

#dyinofthebutthurt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT