ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Gibson is winning these games...not Dana

steeleer

All-Conference
Sep 19, 2005
Im reading about how we are losing Dana to Oregon, Texas, LSU, etc and how he's not liking our AD.

Bull crap

Skyler Howard is regressing as this season goes on.

Dana's insistence on playing Crawford and Shell just enough to keeping them injured.WHY OH WHY DO YOU PLAY CRAWFORD AGAINST KANSAS. KANSAS!!!!!!

Dana's insistence on not running Petteway against Texas. McCoy was a wreck by the end of that Texas game. He just wasn't ready for that kind of workload...which put even more pressure on a regressed Howard.
I don't want to burn his RS either, but don't you friggin play to win the game? (yes I know we won...but what is going to be left of McKoy for that OK game after this?)

Plus he HORRIBLY underperformed compared to his pay in his first 4 years in the B12.

He has evolved/improved as a HC....but make no doubt. Gibby is winning games for us and he absolutely overcame the points above to win that game at Texas.

This post is to settle down the chicken littles. We'll be OK if he leaves if we can keep the assistants loyal to WVU (majority) and Carrier/Blue. Move Gibby up. He would still run the defense like Dana essentially runs the offense. Wickline has been a huge help for our OL and advising Dana. Hire a hotshot OC/QB coach Coaching Greer will be a great recruiting tool.

I do want Dana back. I think 5M/yr for 5 yrs makes sense. But giving him the leverage his last contract afforded is insane. A 2M out for either side is fine. I'm not going to lynch Lyons is he refuses to go beyond that kind of line in the sand. I also know Lyons was right to make him earn his contract this year( I would have too).

Reactions: LAMountaineer
So, you're mad at Dana for not throwing in a kid redshirting this late in the year? We will be fine as long as we have a hiring process this time to ensure we don't just hand it off the third time in a row to an unproven entity. Whether that is Gibby or not, he has been doing great things with our defense and I love him running the show on that side of the ball.

I disagree about McCoy though. Our offense was playing well until we went pass happy and forgot to mix it up. Dana has that tendency. If Howard throws for a first down then throws another first down in succession, you can bet the following play is another pass and so on.

I disagree about McCoy though. Our offense was playing well until we went pass happy and forgot to mix it up. Dana has that tendency. If Howard throws for a first down then throws another first down in succession, you can bet the following play is another pass and so on.

McCoy was spent. We had to throw. His decision making at RB the last few weeks has been awful.

Putting Howard in that position was the symptom of a much larger disease....injury and redshirt management.

So, you're mad at Dana for not throwing in a kid redshirting this late in the year? We will be fine as long as we have a hiring process this time to ensure we don't just hand it off the third time in a row to an unproven entity. Whether that is Gibby or not, he has been doing great things with our defense and I love him running the show on that side of the ball.

It worked out well for Ole Miss

Dude, chill the **** out! I've been extremely critical of Holgerson throughout his career....but the guy has started to win me over. He's grown as a head coach. He know longer is the type of offensive coach that wants to run 100 plays and screw the defensive side of the ball.

Give credit where it is due.......and BOTH Gibson and Holgerson deserve it.

The problem with Skyler's gambling mode is that it doesn't work well against better teams, thus 8 turnovers by WVU in 3 games, not all by Skyler because ballcarriers hanging onto the ball is a problem.
But WVU is 8-1 and did better than #2, #3 and #4 on the same day, the first time in 31 years that 2, 3 and 4 went down on the same day.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T ony’s turbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nother defense whipping, of TCU, 34-10

I gnominy of turnovers against Oklahoma State, 20-37

N o problem decimating Kansas, 48-21

E xcellent, timely defense AGAIN; beat Texas, 24-20

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Im reading about how we are losing Dana to Oregon, Texas, LSU, etc and how he's not liking our AD.

Bull crap

Dana's insistence on playing Crawford and Shell just enough to keeping them injured.WHY OH WHY DO YOU PLAY CRAWFORD AGAINST KANSAS. KANSAS!!!!!!

Dana's insistence on not running Petteway against Texas. McCoy was a wreck by the end of that Texas game. He just wasn't ready for that kind of workload...which put even more pressure on a regressed Howard.
I don't want to burn his RS either, but don't you friggin play to win the game? (yes I know we won...but what is going to be left of McKoy for that OK game after this?)

Plus he HORRIBLY underperformed compared to his pay in his first 4 years in the B12.

He has evolved/improved as a HC....but make no doubt. Gibby is winning games for us and he absolutely overcame the points above to win that game at Texas.

This post is to settle down the chicken littles. We'll be OK if he leaves if we can keep the assistants loyal to WVU (majority) and Carrier/Blue. Move Gibby up. He would still run the defense like Dana essentially runs the offense. Wickline has been a huge help for our OL and advising Dana. Hire a hotshot OC/QB coach Coaching Greer will be a great recruiting tool.

I do want Dana back. I think 5M/yr for 5 yrs makes sense. But giving him the leverage his last contract afforded is insane. A 2M out for either side is fine. I'm not going to lynch Lyons is he refuses to go beyond that kind of line in the sand. I also know Lyons was right to make him earn his contract this year( I would have too).

And if Lyons were to have listened to you this past off season, he would have hired a new HC without firing Dana and we'd be the only team in the history of football to have Co-Head Coaches.

When the Defense was bad, you blamed it all on Dana. Now the Defense is very good, and you can't bring yourself to give credit where credit is due.

Lyons bet against the WVU football team, that was a bad decision.

Let's be clear. The HC is never solely responsible for a win.............or a loss for that matter. So you think that Gibson is the HC at WVU. You wrong for that! Dana won a five year contract extension yesterday with the win over Texas! Dana ............... not Gibby. We need Gibby but Dana da HC. Warez

And if Lyons were to have listened to you this past off season, he would have hired a new HC without firing Dana and we'd be the only team in the history of football to have Co-Head Coaches.

When the Defense was bad, you blamed it all on Dana. Now the Defense is very good, and you can't bring yourself to give credit where credit is due.

Lyons bet against the WVU football team, that was a bad decision.

Lots of people were betting against WVU. If he were extended preseason people would have lost their minds....don't pretend I'm wrong.

BTW...keep beating that opening drum. Yawn

Sometimes numbers don't lie. Or liars.

Examples:

Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech, who leads the nation in passing yardage with 4,230, got 305 against WVU but only 1 for a touchdown and the defense intercepted 1 of Mahomes’ passes.

Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State, who is #5 nationally in passing yardage with 3,384, got 273 for 3 touchdowns against WVU. WVU turning the ball over inside the 10 three times contributed to that total because it led to 17 points, the margin of defeat.

D’Onta Foreman of Texas, #2 in rushing yardage with 1,613, got 167 in 35 carries against WVU, but NO touchdowns.

While WVU is #40 nationally in yardage allowed at 3,688, it has given up 20.6 points per game in a Big 12 conference that thrives on score-happy offenses (and some of those points, as in the 17 against Oklahoma State via 3 turnovers when the WVU defense was not on the field, should be deducted from the defense’s total).

WVU defense has given up an average of 156 yards per game which, in today’s college football, is astounding. 6 teams above WVU have given up more yards per game.

Tony Gibson is the main reason that WVU is 8-1. Dana gets credit for bringing Tony back. It was a wise move, particularly since Dana wasn't thrilled with Casteel's 3-3-5 defense. Tony pumped energy and daring into the 3-3-5. He mentioned that he saw the Texas runner limpy so he set up the defense against the pass. The guy is incredibly sharp!

Look, we need Dana to do better on offense (Dana said that, too), Skyler needs to stop throwing into a crowd against better teams and Gibby's defense needs to keep being the best there is in the Big 12, because that's why WVU will win or lose the rest of its regular season games.

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

I love how it's Dana's fault when we lose but someone else's fault when we win.

Cool. Name one masterful move Dana did on offense that game since he has zero input on defensive play calling.

I'll hang up and wait for your answer

Cool. Name one masterful move Dana did on offense that game since he has zero input on defensive play calling.

I'll hang up and wait for your answer

1. How about his decisions to punt and no go for it a few times? Allow his defense to play on a long field?

2. In first half, on 3rd and 5, score tied at 3-3 Skylar looked at the sideline for an audible and got the change to a run play for a first down....leading to a TD....

1. How about his decisions to punt and no go for it a few times? Allow his defense to play on a long field?

2. In first half, on 3rd and 5, score tied at 3-3 Skylar looked at the sideline for an audible and got the change to a run play for a first down....leading to a TD....

Punting on 4th and long (IMO greater than 4 yards) is a masterful move?

Skyler saw an opening and looked to change out. Who saw it first?

Punting on 4th and long (IMO greater than 4 yards) is a masterful move?

Skyler saw an opening and looked to change out. Who saw it first?

Nice try....but Skylar looks at the sideline for the calls. He does NOT have full run of the offense to make those changes.

If you take away Skylar's two bad INT's, we score 14 more points and they score less and we blow them out. Besides, I know we only gave up 20 points, but we gave up a BUNCH of yards. So to say that Tony Gibson won the game.....ahh.....I think you could make a better argument saying special teams won the game. Career long 44 yard FG, Kinney punted them in deep territory with very little returns, and don't forget the blocked FG.

Reactions: torontoeers
No Skyler doesn't have full run. He does have a functioning set of eyes though. Jesus. You don't think he can initiate an audible with a gesture? Really? Have you ever actually ever held a football?

Memo: the defense was on the field for 100 plays. Welcome to the Big 12....yards happen.

No Skyler doesn't have full run. He does have a functioning set of eyes though. Jesus. You don't think he can initiate an audible with a gesture? Really? Have you ever actually ever held a football?

Memo: the defense was on the field for 100 plays. Welcome to the Big 12....yards happen.

Skylar CANNOT make that call without Dana's approval on the sideline.....thank goodness breathing does not require thought......[thumbsup]

And you asked for examples, I gave them to you....

Skyler not making a call =|= not requesting one.

Good luck on that breathing though. I bet if you dump "words that make me laugh because they sound funny" from what passes for your personal hard drive, that you can make it happen. Remember 1-2-3 breathe. Repeat. Or better yet...don't.

Dana has been making good decisions all season.

Dabo ran for it on 4th & 1 yesterday and lost the game for it.

giphy.gif

Skyler not making a call =|= not requesting one.

Good luck on that breathing though. I bet if you dump "words that make me laugh because they sound funny" from what passes for your personal hard drive, that you can make it happen. Remember 1-2-3 breathe. Repeat. Or better yet...don't.

Hey, I'm not the guy who's going after a head coach who is 8-1 right now. At least I'm man enough to SHUT UP the criticism that I gave in the past.....

The Dana fluffers continue to complain that Dana is getting an unfair shake. The feeble attempts to tell us that Dana deserves 5 million dollars because he has gone 13-2 in the last 15 games is pure nonsense. If Tony Gibson were Hc we would be 15-0 against that weak competition. Tony Gibson's defense is the main reason why Wvu is in position to maybe win the Big 12 = Big East. TG has worked wonders with the defense this season considering the amount of starters that needed to be replaced. DH's offense continues to sputter against feeble big 12 Defenses. It is pretty clear that Tony Gibson is the brains of this operation. The way the offense has performed this season justifies Lyon's decision not to extend him at this time. Lyon's needs to do the right thing and promote Tony Gibson to HC. He is the one who deserves the recognition. Gibson is a True West Virginian and would make Wvu a perennial Top 10 contender. Holgersen is just an overrated offense Coordinator. Promote coach Gibson now before its too Late. TG the next great coach from the state of West Virginia.

The Dana fluffers continue to complain that Dana is getting an unfair shake. The feeble attempts to tell us that Dana deserves 5 million dollars because he has gone 13-2 in the last 15 games is pure nonsense. If Tony Gibson were Hc we would be 15-0 against that weak competition. Tony Gibson's defense is the main reason why Wvu is in position to maybe win the Big 12 = Big East. TG has worked wonders with the defense this season considering the amount of starters that needed to be replaced. DH's offense continues to sputter against feeble big 12 Defenses. It is pretty clear that Tony Gibson is the brains of this operation. The way the offense has performed this season justifies Lyon's decision not to extend him at this time. Lyon's needs to do the right thing and promote Tony Gibson to HC. He is the one who deserves the recognition. Gibson is a True West Virginian and would make Wvu a perennial Top 10 contender. Holgersen is just an overrated offense Coordinator. Promote coach Gibson now before its too Late. TG the next great coach from the state of West Virginia.

Welcome back Uder.

Well, if it is, it is. They haven't had to do it yet, so they haven't. It would be silly to burn it earlier on the chance that may have to later in the season. JFC.
I'm just being sarcastic. Based on what we've done in the past, I wouldn't be shocked. Hopefully we won't have to.

Bull crap

If Dana leaves, he will have a job at a top notch school as an OC if we wants. Would Gibby? Nope. Not even close. Dana could get a HC job at another D1 school, maybe even a Power 5 one. Gibby? Nope. And if Dana keeps it up, he could get a HC job at a top notch school soon. Gibby? Nope.

Of course Gibby's marauders have saved WVU's bacon in at least 4 games. That's indisputable. The WVU defense holds team after team below its season average in yardage and points.
The offense turned the ball over 4 times against Texas, 8 times in the past 3 games, gave Oklahoma State the ball in the red zone for 17 points.
It's this simple: If the WVU offense played as well as the WVU defense, WVU would be unbeaten, maybe the Big 12 champ and bigger maybe in the Football Final Four.

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Bull crap

Are you prepared to cover Dana's back when so many of our 'know better than the coach' fans take him to task (this year, next year, when he is a senior and has consumed his eligibility) for wasting one year of eligibility? You argue that Dana is wrong to NOT burn the red shirt. Many of your very vocal friends would find fault with this decision. And you know, they know a lot more about football than our coaching staff, you or me.
As for who is winning (or not winning) games--Is this not a team comprised of a number of individuals with very different skill sets? Teams are just that--TEAMS made up of a lot of individuals, HOPEFULLY, pulling together toward the same goal. When ALL win there is no need for individuals to claim victory (if we have a true team--and it seems from your contribution that you are unwilling for this model to play out. We must reward one while taking another to task. From what I read you must believe in a very different spelling of T-E-A-M that includes an "I".

I have...and you're DEAD WRONG.

Of course Gibby's marauders have saved WVU's bacon in at least 4 games. That's indisputable. The WVU defense holds team after team below its season average in yardage and points.
The offense turned the ball over 4 times against Texas, 8 times in the past 3 games, gave Oklahoma State the ball in the red zone for 17 points.
It's this simple: If the WVU offense played as well as the WVU defense, WVU would be unbeaten, maybe the Big 12 champ and bigger maybe in the Football Final Four.

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Don't go there CFE. The experts here are guzzling the kool aid....hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT