ADVERTISEMENT

The Badass Big 12

Comparing the SEC and the Big12 is downright silly.

And why would that be? Total broadcast revenues for most teams are still very close. Besides, which SEC are you referring to? The handful of power teams or the handful of scrubs? Besides, I was only talking about WVU and their $40 million for 2015/2016. Where does that stand in comparison with the average SEC team? Because WVU is still a very average Big 12 team.

And why would that be? Total broadcast revenues for most teams are still very close. Besides, which SEC are you referring to? The handful of power teams or the handful of scrubs? Besides, I was only talking about WVU and their $40 million for 2015/2016. Where does that stand in comparison with the average SEC team? Because WVU is still a very average Big 12 team.

Just one of those statements that every unbiased person would agree with and no need to defend. I'll say it again for you. Comparing the Big12 to the SEC is silly talk. I'm not gonna be silly with you. Have a good day and GO PENS!!!

I also have my doubts that Texas would ever leave, but if they did it would be to go independent. The conference money we need is chump change to them and they can offset it in several ways. Texas is not worried about money as much as it is about branding, which is centered on their ego.

The trend is now away from the conference network model and that is an advent of technology that no one can stop. Once Texas believes it can do better solo than in a group it will leave, regardless of the presence of a GoR. Few schools could make it independent, but Texas is one of them.

I think if Texas where to leave it would be for Independence but im not sure how feasible that would be if conferences continue to grow. It wouldn't be easy to find 12 open dates with schools as an independent. I think at best they would have to start out as a partial independent. I know that Notre Dame had to agree to a partial ACC schedule to allow them entry into their league but even in their case it probably has become a necessity now. It would be awfully difficult in the future to put together a 12 game schedule of any significance with the obligations that teams have to meet within their respective conferences and im sure Texas wouldn't want to be independent if they had to fill their schedule with a bunch of non power 5 opponents

Texas likely isn't going anywhere without maintaining their fantasy LHN. And no conference is willing to let them keep it except the Big 12. I would personally love to see UT get the hell out and have the other members vote to let them go. They are an arrogant, egotistical pain in the ass. Bring in whoever to replace them along with two more schools.

As long as the Big 12 keeps at least two or three schools in the top 20 rankings they will not lose their power 5 status.

Texas likely isn't going anywhere without maintaining their fantasy LHN. And no conference is willing to let them keep it except the Big 12. I would personally love to see UT get the hell out and have the other members vote to let them go. They are an arrogant, egotistical pain in the ass. Bring in whoever to replace them along with two more schools.

As long as the Big 12 keeps at least two or three schools in the top 20 rankings they will not lose their power 5 status.

Do you forget they were the ones who threw us our lifeline, and did you know they flew our flag and played our alma mater pregame the last time we played them in Austin? They have been nothing but good to us and we talk shit...

Last edited:
Do you forget they were the ones who threw us our lifeline, They have never been nothing but good to us and we talk shit...

True.

...but history shows that even slaves have both physically and mentally (thru debate) protected their 'masters' using their own free will.

Even in the modern common workplace you see it ALL THE TIME (in that situation most of us refer to them as kiss-asses).

-----------

Even animals can suffer the same illness.. ...beat abused dogs usually will protect the abuser...

...that doesn't mean that person actually deserved such loyalty.

=========

WVU is not a Big 12' (Texas in particular) indentured servant.

It would be an incredible precedent for even 1 team to go from a power5 conference to the equivalent of the AAC, let alone maybe 5 or more. (Iowa State, WVU, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU) It would be unprecedented for a team IN PRIMARY CONTROL of a Power5 conference, (Oklahoma or Texas) to leave the conference they are in control of and raking in top ten revenue to go be one of the crowd in another conference out of their region. It would be damned interesting though and give us a lot to talk about for years. If such misfortune comes to play because of the misguided greed of Texas and Oklahoma and WVU ends up playing Richmond and ECU and William and Mary and Furman and the like, I will STILL be a WVU fan. I will be a fan if they are making millions or hunnerds of dollars. I got two degrees from WVU, my brother and sister both graduated from WVU, I worked at WVU for 29 years and my family (on both sides) lived in WV for over 200 years. My loyalty and interest is not dependent on whether we are making millions. I am grateful that Texas wanted us but have no illusions about who holds the power in the Big12. I hope Texas and Oklahoma stick around and continue with the 10 team league and that we see a national championship from the conference within the next 4 years. If they decide to expand with teams nobody else wants, I'm OK with that too as long as the conference is OK with it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Do you forget they were the ones who threw us our lifeline, and did you know they flew our flag and played our alma mater pregame the last time we played them in Austin? They have been nothing but good to us and we talk shit...

You are quite correct in your assessment of some of the things that Texas has done and much of that has been on the shoulders of their fans, who are some of the best in the country, but there have been times when the administration at Texas has been less than forward thinking.

The LHN is a critical example of the negative side of Texas. The 15 million dollars sounds like a lot to most school but not to Texas. It is pocket change to them, but what that network represents is a hold on the high schools of Texas and a significant investment in pride. They call it branding but it is pretty much just their ego on the airwaves.

The money means next to nothing to Texas and they could easily have folded it into a Big12N and lost nothing of value to their checking account but it would have hit their ago stash a sharp blow.

I can't blame Texas one bit for looking out for their institution, but never forget, the only Texas will ever help someone else is when it helps them. If not helping others helps them they will do that first too and care not one bit about any scrapped feeling or bruised egos.

I think if Texas where to leave it would be for Independence but im not sure how feasible that would be if conferences continue to grow. It wouldn't be easy to find 12 open dates with schools as an independent. I think at best they would have to start out as a partial independent. I know that Notre Dame had to agree to a partial ACC schedule to allow them entry into their league but even in their case it probably has become a necessity now. It would be awfully difficult in the future to put together a 12 game schedule of any significance with the obligations that teams have to meet within their respective conferences and im sure Texas wouldn't want to be independent if they had to fill their schedule with a bunch of non power 5 opponents

I am not sure if your post was in jest or not... so I shall assume it was not.

Texas and/or Notre Dame can call up almost any school in the country and sign a 1 for 1 for the next (pick a time period) if they are independent. Texas A&M would not a sign deal with Texas and there might be 1 or 2 more, but all of them would roll out the red carpet for them. SOS is a critical factor in the polls and even in a wounded form, Texas has cache that sells well in sporting news.

Texas would likely have schedules with whomever they wanted when they wanted them, they have that much pull.

It would be an incredible precedent for even 1 team to go from a power5 conference to the equivalent of the AAC, let alone maybe 5 or more. (Iowa State, WVU, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU) It would be unprecedented for a team IN PRIMARY CONTROL of a Power5 conference, (Oklahoma or Texas) to leave the conference they are in control of and raking in top ten revenue to go be one of the crowd in another conference out of their region. It would be damned interesting though and give us a lot to talk about for years. If such misfortune comes to play because of the misguided greed of Texas and Oklahoma and WVU ends up playing Richmond and ECU and William and Mary and Furman and the like, I will STILL be a WVU fan. I will be a fan if they are making millions or hunnerds of dollars. I got two degrees from WVU, my brother and sister both graduated from WVU, I worked at WVU for 29 years and my family (on both sides) lived in WV for over 200 years. My loyalty and interest is not dependent on whether we are making millions. I am grateful that Texas wanted us but have no illusions about who holds the power in the Big12. I hope Texas and Oklahoma stick around and continue with the 10 team league and that we see a national championship from the conference within the next 4 years. If they decide to expand with teams nobody else wants, I'm OK with that too as long as the conference is OK with it too.

Sky..................I'm in your court. I have been a WV fan for many a year and will be loyal............regardless of the conference affiliation or the megabucks. Hail...........I was happy when we played Richmond, Villanova and the like. I didn't know any better.

No, I talked shit. I like the reaction and exchange of thoughts by intelligent, reasonable people that it caused. I bleed gold and blue also, and I realize they were instrumental in getting WVU into the Big 12. But we are not TTU, or TCU who grovel at the feet of the UT operatives. We...are...WVU! We'll bend over backwards to help anyone but bend over frontwards for no one!

Umm..ok.

We were BEGGING TO JOIN THE ACC. ...not to mention the SEC bad Big 12.

And you say 'we' in what regard? No offense, just curious. I've never seen a Mountaineer beg. Ask, "May I come in?" absolutely. But never beg for anything or the one who gives in to your begging owns you. He can then make you beg on command.

Lol.. ...Most of the country considers us a welfare state.

Are you pretending there's no truth to the perception?

Allowing the government take most of what you earn and then coddle you from cradle to grave is a political preference. WV has been running away from that. There will always be those who believe the world owes them a decent living for doing nothing. Mountaineers work for what they get. If you don't believe that where are you a troll from?

Most of the country does not even know West Virginia is a state. No matter where I travel and no matter how educated the people are that I speak to, there is at least a couple in every group that think I said I am from Western Virginia and if I say Charleston, WV they then tell me how much they love the beach.

Being dramatic is seldom of any value. Perpetrating a stereotype is even less, but it the people that feel like you think everyone does typically only live in PA or VA. I am sure that says more about them than it does West Virginia.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Great interview Jamie Pollard about the Big 12 meetings. Buck will hate this Interview, it is way too positive for his permanent doom and gloom outlook for WVU.

Last edited:
Why do you care? You say us like you live in WV. Don't you live in Pa?

Yes, I live in PA...but I consider WV home. I still own the home that I grew up in...and now consider it a cabin (which really...it was built to be). I suppose I could have stayed there and made 25% of my current salary... ....or said f'that l'll just take welfare and SNAP.

In the last 20 years I've offered old (whining...I can't make a decent living) friends and now often their children jobs where they could at least learn skills (or improve their resume ). Some have flirted with the offer but in the end they prefer WV over a nice income or the on the job training/education that could home with them after only a few short years (or even months really).. Nothing wrong with that...I guess...just quit bitching about Walmart being the biggest employer in the state.

Everybody bitches about illegal Mexicans too.....but at least they have ambition to do what it takes to improve their lives (at least financially).

Mountaineers work for what they get. If you don't believe that where are you a troll from?

Most do. Still, percentage wise, WV has way too many people abusing both the state and federal welfare programs.

I remember standing with friends and their parents in literal 'cheese lines' beside the old courthouse in Elkins. At the time I was sympathetic because I would see firsthand where they lived (although my family wasn't in that situation). Looking back and having the experience of life I now believe most were just lazy. Refused to work for an education and actually 'settled' for low paying jobs (although welfare typically paid more).

....but I must say, if I recall correctly... ..those large blocks of cheese were delicious.

Most of the country does not even know West Virginia is a state.

Being dramatic is seldom of any value. Perpetrating a stereotype is even less, but it the people that feel like you think everyone does typically only live in PA or VA. I am sure that says more about them than it does West Virginia.

I was talking to a wife of a friend who happens to be a teacher in PA and made a comment similar to yours about way too many people not knowing WV is a state. Maybe she thought it was a shot at her....but she made the reply, 'Maybe that's because we still teach using textbooks from 1862'. I was impressed how she made two great points with one small comment.

Calling something a stereotype isn't really a solid argument. I mean you just created a stereotype yourself. Do you really think the WV jokes stop at the borders of PA and VA?

I was talking to a wife of a friend who happens to be a teacher in PA and made a comment similar to yours about way too many people not knowing WV is a state. Maybe she thought it was a shot at her....but she made the reply, 'Maybe that's because we still teach using textbooks from 1862'. I was impressed how she made two great points with one small comment.

Calling something a stereotype isn't really a solid argument. I mean you just created a stereotype yourself. Do you really think the WV jokes stop at the borders of PA and VA?

They absolutely do not. The stereotypes are even perpetuated by the major media for sheer entertainment value. Many people in South Carolina think WV is still part of Virginia. Of course these same redneck idiots don't realize North Carolina separated from the Carolina colony either. These are people that named their flagship university after fighting chickens!

You do understand that you made a dig on your wife and PA in general, right? People in West Virginia know they are a state, it is those outside of it that do not and according to your wife, it is because the education system where you live is 154 years out of date. Who is the backward one here?

Stereotypes exist every where but those that involve West Virginians in a disparaging way are centered in PA and VA. Go to Ohio or Kentucky, you seldom any such remarks; even in Maryland it is uncommon. But, in PA or Richmond is daily chit-chat.

So, from this exchange I can gather that you prefer living among people with a bigoted point of view and glorify an outdated education system. Surely that was not your intent but that is the message you broadcast.

You do understand that you made a dig on your wife and PA in general, right? People in West Virginia know they are a state, it is those outside of it that do not and according to your wife, it is because the education system where you live is 154 years out of date. Who is the backward one here?

Speaking of education... ...I clearly expressed that she was the wife of a friend (not my wife..plus I'm not gay). Read....understand...and then attempt to make a coherent reply.

She took a shot at school funding (WV certainly is near the bottom according to teachers that post on this very forum) while at the same time pointing out that she knew exactly when WV became a state. Go to any WV high school (or college really) graduation and ask that question and I'd bet that less than 2% who earned their degree would know the year WV became a state.

Stereotypes exist every where but those that involve West Virginians in a disparaging way are centered in PA and VA. Go to Ohio or Kentucky, you seldom any such remarks; even in Maryland it is uncommon. But, in PA or Richmond is daily chit-chat.

So, from this exchange I can gather that you prefer living among people with a bigoted point of view and glorify an outdated education system. Surely that was not your intent but that is the message you broadcast.

There is a reason for this. The formation of a separate state from Virginia into a new state was a virtual coup d'état by the union state of Pennsylvania during the so called 'civil war'. The prevalent heritage of most West Virginians is Scots-Irish. They did not immigrate directly from Northern Ireland to the western one third of Virginia, they came by way of Pennsylvania, in virtual hordes in the beginning of what was actually a failed war for independence by the declared sovereign nation of Confederate States of America.

At the end of the war, Virginia asked to rejoin the United States with their original borders and congress refused by citing West Virginia as an admitted member of the United States. West Virginia is now the fodder of a continuous resentment between Virginia and Pennsylvania residents, handed down by generations. Can I get concurrence from one of you history buffs?

Speaking of education... ...I clearly expressed that she was the wife of a friend (not my wife..plus I'm not gay). Read....understand...and then attempt to make a coherent reply.

She took a shot at school funding (WV certainly is near the bottom according to teachers that post on this very forum) while at the same time pointing out that she knew exactly when WV became a state. Go to any WV high school (or college really) graduation and ask that question and I'd bet that less than 2% who earned their degree would know the year WV became a state.

Well, you know those stories a friend of a friend really means YOU. I did not belabor the point because you seem to love to self-congratulate when you think you have been exceptionally witty. Geeze do you ever get off of your own horse long enough to realize the only people in your fan club is YOU.

Yes, yes, yes, I am sure she was making nasty remarks about West Virginia - kind of proves what I was saying initially, generally only those in PA and VA do this. So, how is that being a bigot in a state of bigotry? You obviously hate your own home state.

Reactions: Rootmaster
There is a reason for this. The formation of a separate state from Virginia into a new state was a virtual coup d'état by the union state of Pennsylvania during the so called 'civil war'. The prevalent heritage of most West Virginians is Scots-Irish. They did not immigrate directly from Northern Ireland to the western one third of Virginia, they came by way of Pennsylvania, in virtual hordes in the beginning of what was actually a failed war for independence by the declared sovereign nation of Confederate States of America.

At the end of the war, Virginia asked to rejoin the United States with their original borders and congress refused by citing West Virginia as an admitted member of the United States. West Virginia is now the fodder of a continuous resentment between Virginia and Pennsylvania residents, handed down by generations. Can I get concurrence from one of you history buffs?
I think the Scot-Irish were sought to immigrate to the Western counties of Virginia specifically as a bulwark against the natives to do all the fighting. The Western counties never got represented by the aristocrats of tidewater Virginia who had by and large a completely different economy and the railroads at Harpers Ferry became the third leg of the differences between the aggreived settlers on the western frontier of Virginia. People of Augusta had already had enough of Ole Virginy when the Civil War came along.

Reactions: Rootmaster

Weill, suffice it to say, West Virginia being a legal state is dubious. They played fast and lose in Wheeling to get it done and in all technicality of those moves with the laws of the time, West Virginia is not a legal state. I am one of those that believed we should have made Virginia rejoin as East Virginia, but that is water under the bridge.

Also a great many Hessians came here when they were no longer useful to the war.

Weill, suffice it to say, West Virginia being a legal state is dubious. They played fast and lose in Wheeling to get it done and in all technicality of those moves with the laws of the time, West Virginia is not a legal state. I am one of those that believed we should have made Virginia rejoin as East Virginia, but that is water under the bridge.

Also a great many Hessians came here when they were no longer useful to the war.

Maybe they should have picked a totally different name for the new state, perhaps Vandalia? There is no East Virginia. North and South Carolina were called Carolina until North Carolina separated over politics. What if the remainder of Carolina had not agreed to become South Carolina? North Carolina would be having the same identity problem as West Virginia.

Maybe they should have picked a totally different name for the new state, perhaps Vandalia? There is no East Virginia. North and South Carolina were called Carolina until North Carolina separated over politics. What if the remainder of Carolina had not agreed to become South Carolina? North Carolina would be having the same identity problem as West Virginia.

Well, at the time many names were considered, Augusta, Vandalia, Western Virginia, West Virginia, Kanawha, Greenbrier and Monongahela. The point was that Virginia had forfeited their original name and they should have been forced to come back under a name that never let them forget the event that forced the state to split.

Well, at the time many names were considered, Augusta, Vandalia, Western Virginia, West Virginia, Kanawha, Greenbrier and Monongahela. The point was that Virginia had forfeited their original name and they should have been forced to come back under a name that never let them forget the event that forced the state to split.

Good point, East Virginia should have been forced upon them along with the new state borders.

Most do. Still, percentage wise, WV has way too many people abusing both the state and federal welfare programs.

I remember standing with friends and their parents in literal 'cheese lines' beside the old courthouse in Elkins. At the time I was sympathetic because I would see firsthand where they lived (although my family wasn't in that situation). Looking back and having the experience of life I now believe most were just lazy. Refused to work for an education and actually 'settled' for low paying jobs (although welfare typically paid more).

....but I must say, if I recall correctly... ..those large blocks of cheese were delicious.
Orlaco, you are 100% correct about abuse of the system.

Several years I was at a WVU football gathering in WV ago during our current president's 1st term, when he announced he was extending the unemployment benefits. Several adult males, very capable of finding work if they they tried, (who would go off fishing and pound beers every day), started high fiving, hooping and hollering they had another 6 months before they had to find work.

Michael says (as many people claim), that WV's are all hard working people who earn everything they get. Unfortunately that is the WV when I was growing up, of my father's and his father before him. When Coal was king, and the great people of WV would work their tail off to provide a living for their family. While not indicative of the entire state, far too many younger West Virginians would rather sit on the fat ass and let the Gov take care of them then to actually work for a living.

I grew up in WV.
I love WV.
But whenever I hear someone refer to WV as being a great state I just quietly shake my head.

I've lived in 7 states. Half of everyone believes they live in the greatest place on earth and they point to the people there as a reason why.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT