ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you Neal Brown

I'd like to see the bowl game in Memphis or Orlando so I can drive(serves my selfish interest)..that's the tie-ins for the east...the one in Florida has been renamed yet again..it was the camping world bowl then the Cheez-it bowl...now of all things it's the Pop-Tarts bowl...barf..WVU your Pop-Tarts bowl champion!...not a good ring to it

People were losing interest in nehlens last couple/few years. They were starting to turn on him like they have brown already. Draw play up the middle they would say. The game was passing him by, etc, etc. I remember it well...

Then rich Rod came along and took us to another level. That is truly when wvu reached levels a lot of fans never thought possible. Packed houses, national rankings. Bcs trophies. Good times. We know we can be at that level so why not try to?
Who is making excuses now?

Reactions: WVUALLEN and WVUBRU
I'd like to see the bowl game in Memphis or Orlando so I can drive(serves my selfish interest)..that's the tie-ins for the east...the one in Florida has been renamed yet again..it was the camping world bowl then the Cheez-it bowl...now of all things it's the Pop-Tarts bowl...barf..WVU your Pop-Tarts bowl champion!...not a good ring to it
Agreed. I am also looking to go to the bowl game if in the SE and it fits my schedule.

Gun season starts Monday. Nice try to make excuses though. This is a game that would have sold out pre Brown. It was a perfect afternoon for football!! Gorgeous, chilly but not cold day. This is the best record WVU has had under Brown and there were 20k empty seats at the last home game of the season and a game where it may be the last time people get to see Don Nehlen like that. This should have been a sellout. Not even close. WVU football is becomming irrelevant under Brown. Not even VGABRU could get his realfan self to see Nehlen one last time and support these awesome seniors we have this year. People just dont show up like they used to under Brown.
In the final home game of the 2002 season, the stands were very similar to yesterday with a metric shit ton of empty seats. It was the final home game for WVU's all time leading rusher (record still stands today) Avon Cobourne. It was a beautiful day. We were playing rival Boston College and were having a good season, ending up 9-4. Was Coach Nehlen to blame for the empty seats?

Reactions: WVUALLEN and WVUBRU
In the final home game of the 2002 season, the stands were very similar to yesterday with a metric shit ton of empty seats. It was the final home game for WVU's all time leading rusher (record still stands today) Avon Cobourne. It was a beautiful day. We were playing rival Boston College and were having a good season, ending up 9-4. Was Coach Nehlen to blame for the empty seats?
November 9th, 2002 vs. Boston College........attendance was only 48,474. And we were having a very good season. New coach in his 2nd season.

the weather for Nehlen's last game wasn't..I went to Keglers at halftime..Sorry Don

I remember that season and was at that game. That was following the worst season most of us have seen in our lifetimes at three wins. That season was the biggest single turnaround I think we've ever had. And it was a shame the stands weren't packed like it was a shame yesterday. But the difference to me is back then we were on our way up. Right now just doesn't have the same feeling for most of the fan base.

But I'll tell you what. I'll take the Pop-Tart bowl over some of the other weird bowls they're having this year. Right now we have to beat baylor. Do that and win a bowl game and at least we won't be made fun of by the national media if we have to keep brown again

Reactions: Euell
I remember that season and was at that game. That was following the worst season most of us have seen in our lifetimes at three wins. That season was the biggest single turnaround I think we've ever had. And it was a shame the stands weren't packed like it was a shame yesterday. But the difference to me is back then we were on our way up. Right now just doesn't have the same feeling for most of the fan base.

But I'll tell you what. I'll take the Pop-Tart bowl over some of the other weird bowls they're having this year. Right now we have to beat baylor. Do that and win a bowl game and at least we won't be made fun of by the national media if we have to keep brown again
Yeah. Because you and others cannot or will not enjoy the wins. I’m not a big Neal Brown supporter, but he’s done a good enough job to get another year and to get some praise.

Yeah. Because you and others cannot or will not enjoy the wins. I’m not a big Neal Brown supporter, but he’s done a good enough job to get another year and to get some praise.
Go back and look at every game day thread since I've been a member here and tell me I don't enjoy the wins. The difference is I'm still not in on brown and that pisses some people off for whatever reason . I always Root for the team to win and always will, despite how i feel about the coach.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
Go back and look at every game day thread since I've been a member here and tell me I don't enjoy the wins. The difference is I'm still not in on brown and that pisses some people off for whatever reason . I always Root for the team to win and always will, despite how i feel about the coach.
I understand that. I'm not 100% in with Brown either. However, you were blasting Brown for being the reason we didn't sell out yesterday. If we lose, blame the coach. If we win, still blame the coach?

I understand that. I'm not 100% in with Brown either. However, you were blasting Brown for being the reason we didn't sell out yesterday. If we lose, blame the coach. If we win, still blame the coach?
Point taken. I get rough on brown. It wasn't necessarily his fault. Combination of things I'm sure but it's disappointing to see all the empty seats

People were losing interest in nehlens last couple/few years. They were starting to turn on him like they have brown already. Draw play up the middle they would say. The game was passing him by, etc, etc. I remember it well...

Then rich Rod came along and took us to another level. That is truly when wvu reached levels a lot of fans never thought possible. Packed houses, national rankings. Bcs trophies. Good times. We know we can be at that level so why not try to?
The only people turning on Nehlen were the same dumbasses that pretend to know what it is to be a coach. Don Nehlen had already taken WVU to those heights that you claim Rod was first to do so.

Can not really predict that as wins or losses due to the unknowns of college sports.
But you can pretty much predict that Neil Brown is going to struggle with most good teams because that is what has happened. WVU football is an exciting as it was and I do believe that is on him

But you can pretty much predict that Neil Brown is going to struggle with most good teams because that is what has happened. WVU football is an exciting as it was and I do believe that is on him
You can predict a lot of things doesn't mean it will be right. You can make a basis of past history of Brown's career here and make a fair assumption of what will happen but you can't predict or guarantee a win or loss will occur.

I can verify this fact that you have done this as you stated.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
You might be impressed, I’m not. Next week will not change my opinion either. Once you realize your HC cannot get the program where we want, you will understand. We beat a 3-8 team today. Big deal. Next week we play another 3-8 team who got curb stomped by 5-6 TCU. Big deal. Beat someone with a pulse and then we’ll talk

Exactly! Nailed it. I think we would be 4-7 or 5-6 if we had.
I would rather beat these 3-8 teams than lose to them.

Reactions: WESTBGVA

You obviously didn't live through the Cignetti years.

PLEASE STOP your incessant bitching!
We lose; YOU bitch. We win: you still bitch. YOU find random reasons for being dissatisfied and unhappy. STOP IT.
You do not like the schedule GIVEN to us. SO WHAT? Really--who cares whether you Are pleased or not? You and the others who share in the gloom are a miserable sort and lack the good sense or intelligence to live with circumstances as they exist. You want a killer schedule and then, if we do not win the number of games YOU think we might, YOU BITCH. You are a true bundle of devout misery.
Why not try being a supportive FAN and enjoy what we do with what is dealt us and be somewhat of an adult, shedding the childlike characteristics you now seem to relish a portray.. GROW UP. and SHUT UP. I will no longer participate in reading your trash and slanted reasoning (if it can even be classified as such).
Yeah, I’m the child lmao! “Grow up and shut up”. You sound just like a child. I don’t care what your opinion is either.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
You can predict a lot of things doesn't mean it will be right. You can make a basis of past history of Brown's career here and make a fair assumption of what will happen but you can't predict or guarantee a win or loss will occur.
It hasn't really been about wins and losses for me this season. Don't get me wrong I'm happy we are potentially going to finish with eight wins and I hope we do. But it's beyond that for me with brown. It was over for me last year

Gun season starts Monday. Nice try to make excuses though. This is a game that would have sold out pre Brown. It was a perfect afternoon for football!! Gorgeous, chilly but not cold day. This is the best record WVU has had under Brown and there were 20k empty seats at the last home game of the season and a game where it may be the last time people get to see Don Nehlen like that. This should have been a sellout. Not even close. WVU football is becomming irrelevant under Brown. Not even VGABRU could get his realfan self to see Nehlen one last time and support these awesome seniors we have this year. People just dont show up like they used to under Brown.
There was 45 there so not 20k empty seasons and the students were gone.

spitt had about 12 at there game...

Anything else you want to bitch about with a team one play away from being 8-3?

shew..Caridi said that replacing N Brown is off the table...he'll be the coach of the 2024 WV football team..he also added that if you don't like it,,,,well, that's life
If he really said that, that’s very telling of his lack of understanding on what drives a business. And yes, this is a business. Imagine saying to the customer who doesn’t like your change of menu; “Tough. That’s life!” Doubtful many of those customers come back.

So you can bitch about my bitching like all the climb trusters do? OK.
You should quit hating on Brown and the football team, they are going to be 8-4, one play from 9-3 and going to a Bowl. Makes no sense to simply hate watch them and bitch about them non stop on a message board. You must be a miserable person to be around.

You should quit hating on Brown and the football team, they are going to be 8-4, one play from 9-3 and going to a Bowl. Makes no sense to simply hate watch them and bitch about them non stop on a message board. You must be a miserable person to be around.
I dont hate on the team ever. Just Brown. I know enough to know that Brown is nothing more than an average coach and that WVU deserves better. The fact that that bothers you so much is pretty sad cuss boy.

Fact is we couldn’t get past any of the few winning teams we faced and we barely got by the losing record teams we played. Had we played Texas, KState, Kansas, and Iowa State this year instead of the new G5 teams, it’s most likely WVU is 0-4 or 1-3 at best. In that case alone, WVU would be sitting at 4-7 or 5-6 since they went 3-1 against the former G5 schools. This is exactly in line with every typical Neal Brown led WVU team of the last 5 years. It’s time to move on.
If Wvu chooses to move on then I'm ok with it but you need to put some things into perspective. Wvu currently sits at 7-4. where do you think this Wvu team ranks compared to past Wvu teams? We just honored Don Nehlen and he stated that this year's WVU team is better than what people give credit for. What do you think he meant by that statement? Wvu can finish as low as 7-6 or as high as 9-4. If Wvu were to finish with 7 wins how does that compare to some of the 7-win seasons that Nehlen had? The last 7-win season Nehlen had was in 1997. That 97 team only beat two teams with a winning record that was Marshall at 10-3 and Vtech at 7-5. Three of the wins that season came against an 0-11 Rutgers team a 2-9 Maryland Team and a 3-8 Temple team. The teams we beat that season were a combined 32-48. If Wvu were to win 8 games this year how does that compare to the 8-win seasons under Nehlen? Let's look at the 1996 season. Wvu only beat one team with a winning record when they went 8-4 that year. That was against East Carolina at 8-3. Four of the wins in 96 came against a 2-9 Westen Michigan team, a 3-8 Purdue team, a 1-10 Temple team and a 2-9 Rutgers team. The teams we beat in 96 were a combined 30-59 that's almost a 2-1 loss ratio. The 1998 Wvu team that won 8 games only beat 1 team with a winning record as well that was an 8-4 Syracuse team. Let's look at some of the wins in 98. We beat a 3-8 Maryland team, a 2-9 Temple team, a 2-9 Pitt Team, a 3-8 Navy team. The combined record of the teams we beat were 31-58 once again almost a 2-1 loss ratio. The 2023 team has only beaten 1 team with a winning record but the combined record of the teams its beaten is 27-38 if you want to include Duquesne its 34-43. Any way you look at it this year's schedule was tougher then the 96,97,98 season. Nehlen would probably tell you the current state of Wvu football is apples to oranges from when he last coached here. Wvu has to navigate the Big 12 which he didn't have to do and add in the transfer portal and NIL it all adds up to a more difficult environment. The one thing that really hasn't changed is most of Wvu wins came against teams with losing records and the losers we played back then were quite a bit worse than the ones we play today. Before the season started everyone said are schedule was going to be tough now everyone says the opposite. Had we played K State, Texas, Kansas, Iowa State that would have been difficult but how do we know we would have played Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Houston. It could have ended up being a wash. K state is 8-3 but has only beaten 2 teams with a winning record and none of those teams are currently ranked. Kansas has only beaten 2 teams with winning record and only 1 is currently ranked. Iowa State has only beaten 1 team with a winning record and that team is currently ranked. It's not like these teams are putting together impressive resumes either. I think the ceiling is higher for WVU than what we have seen this year, but I don't think it's that much higher given the constraints of the current economic environment one that doesn't favor WVU.

Reactions: Euell
If Wvu chooses to move on then I'm ok with it but you need to put some things into perspective. Wvu currently sits at 7-4. where do you think this Wvu team ranks compared to past Wvu teams? We just honored Don Nehlen and he stated that this year's WVU team is better than what people give credit for. What do you think he meant by that statement? Wvu can finish as low as 7-6 or as high as 9-4. If Wvu were to finish with 7 wins how does that compare to some of the 7-win seasons that Nehlen had? The last 7-win season Nehlen had was in 1997. That 97 team only beat two teams with a winning record that was Marshall at 10-3 and Vtech at 7-5. Three of the wins that season came against an 0-11 Rutgers team a 2-9 Maryland Team and a 3-8 Temple team. The teams we beat that season were a combined 32-48. If Wvu were to win 8 games this year how does that compare to the 8-win seasons under Nehlen? Let's look at the 1996 season. Wvu only beat one team with a winning record when they went 8-4 that year. That was against East Carolina at 8-3. Four of the wins in 96 came against a 2-9 Westen Michigan team, a 3-8 Purdue team, a 1-10 Temple team and a 2-9 Rutgers team. The teams we beat in 96 were a combined 30-59 that's almost a 2-1 loss ratio. The 1998 Wvu team that won 8 games only beat 1 team with a winning record as well that was an 8-4 Syracuse team. Let's look at some of the wins in 98. We beat a 3-8 Maryland team, a 2-9 Temple team, a 2-9 Pitt Team, a 3-8 Navy team. The combined record of the teams we beat were 31-58 once again almost a 2-1 loss ratio. The 2023 team has only beaten 1 team with a winning record but the combined record of the teams its beaten is 27-38 if you want to include Duquesne its 34-43. Any way you look at it this year's schedule was tougher then the 96,97,98 season. Nehlen would probably tell you the current state of Wvu football is apples to oranges from when he last coached here. Wvu has to navigate the Big 12 which he didn't have to do and add in the transfer portal and NIL it all adds up to a more difficult environment. The one thing that really hasn't changed is most of Wvu wins came against teams with losing records and the losers we played back then were quite a bit worse than the ones we play today. Before the season started everyone said are schedule was going to be tough now everyone says the opposite. Had we played K State, Texas, Kansas, Iowa State that would have been difficult but how do we know we would have played Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Houston. It could have ended up being a wash. K state is 8-3 but has only beaten 2 teams with a winning record and none of those teams are currently ranked. Kansas has only beaten 2 teams with winning record and only 1 is currently ranked. Iowa State has only beaten 1 team with a winning record and that team is currently ranked. It's not like these teams are putting together impressive resumes either. I think the ceiling is higher for WVU than what we have seen this year, but I don't think it's that much higher given the constraints of the current economic environment one that doesn't favor WVU.

Same as the last 4 years....

Don is an old fella now and is out of touch with the current football landscape. He said what he had to say on a night that it wasnt about Brown. Saturday night was about Don and the seniors.

NCAA football is apples to orenges from when he coached last. The entire game has changed and keeps changing. In this day and age, Don probably would be taken out by some woke kid from Charleston simply for being a nice guy, or for saying God bless or something.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
If he really said that, that’s very telling of his lack of understanding on what drives a business. And yes, this is a business. Imagine saying to the customer who doesn’t like your change of menu; “Tough. That’s life!” Doubtful many of those customers come back.
you can listen to the 3 Guys podcast..besides, most fans aren't narcissistic and will come to see their team..with Penn st at home you already know that a boatload of season tickets and mini-packages will be sold..Lets! Go!

There's not a team in the country that could lose half of their starters on defense to the portal without it having an adverse affect on their record..not Georgia..Alabama..no one....but some say that's an excuse not a reason..and they would be wrong

Last edited:
you can listen to the 3 Guys podcast..besides, most fans aren't narcissistic and will come to see their team..with Penn st at home you already know that a boatload of season tickets and mini-packages will be sold..Lets! Go!
3 guys before the game podcast is the worst sports show in all of America. Its no wonder you are such a doofus.

How many of those empty seats were in the stadium were in the student section Saturday? What are we talking …. 10 to 12,000 empty seats? Seats that have already been paid for via student fees?

Yeah, it’s Brown’s fault for the un-rest in the Middle East too.

Last edited:
1. So you support firing a coach who is 7-4 this season, with potential to win 9 games? Man, that's difficult to understand. Look at Florida State. They were ready to kick their guy to the curb and this year they are undefeated and HAD a shot at a national title until their QB went down.

2. Funny how you shout off on Caridi for saying "tough, that's life" but you support certain politicians who have a much harder stance publicly with their statements than this. Just odd to me, but oh well.

so why do you watch it?....logically you'd have to in order to form an opinion wouldn't you?
Well you know BRU, when people form an opinion of a show, it's typically because they listened or watched a few episodes and then decided they didn't like it or they did. It's called forming an opinion. Have you ever done it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT